Mark and Callie: Dirty, Sexy Hotness

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1310 replies to this topic

Wandering1

Wandering1

Posted Feb 4, 2011 @ 10:21 PM

For Mark and Callie fans. After last nights episode, do you think Callie will keep Mark out of his child's life??? I really hope not. Some of her comments made me nervous. I hope Callie regains her senses and includes Mark in everything that has to do with his child.

Gibraltariana

Gibraltariana

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2011 @ 10:57 AM

After last nights episode, do you think Callie will keep Mark out of his child's life??? I really hope not. Some of her comments made me nervous. I hope Callie regains her senses and includes Mark in everything that has to do with his child.

I think a lot of Callie's comments were based on her thinking of Mark's welfare and his love of Lexie. As far as her seeming more desperate to keep Arizona in the equation than Mark, I think its because she's more sure of Mark than Arizona. THAT does make me nervous, because if Callie is desperate to keep Arizona in the equation and Arizona says "That's my kid in there!" will she now alienate Mark to keep her?

Wandering1

Wandering1

Posted Feb 6, 2011 @ 1:17 PM

That makes me nervous too. I would hate to see Callie alienate Mark over Arizona. Callie better than anyone knows what a child means to Mark. I really hope that they eventually agree to joint custody. I think they are both going to be great parents. I hope Callie doesn't let her gratitude to Arizona overshadow her relationship with Mark. Arizona is controlling already and I think if Callie lets her control this pregnancy, Mark will be the one to lose.

I hope Arizona takes a step back and allows Mark and Callie to make the decisions for their child.

WalaaBrigdet

WalaaBrigdet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 3:05 AM

It's a shame we don't see much of them now even though they share a child but sadly Callie forgotten all about Mark being Sofia father and they act like she's only Callie and Arizona kid so sad.

InThaZone

InThaZone

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 7:03 AM

They made it pretty clear in the first couple of episodes that all three are her parents. I'm almost certain that Sofia has spent the most on screen time with Mark what with him having her in the all boys episode. Even when Arizona made her speech about a piece of paper, she mentioned that Mark's her father.

I agree though that I miss the Callie/Mark friendship a little. Their scenes are lighthearted and funny, way more so than this Mackson bromance. I didn't think I would miss them after S7 turned me off them completely, and it's been a huge relief to get a bit of a break from them. But I wouldn't mind a friendship scene thrown it every now and then from now on, preferably one that has nothing to do with them being parents whatsoever because that lighthearted, uncomplicated friendship is what I miss about them.

BronxBomber

BronxBomber

Couch Potato

• Location:New York, NY, but you can often find me other places

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 5:12 AM

I

t's a shame we don't see much of them now even though they share a child but sadly Callie forgotten all about Mark being Sofia father and they act like she's only Callie and Arizona kid so sad.

I think this is a gross misunderstanding or misrepresentation of the situation. First off, of the three of them, Mark has had the most screen time with Sophia, probably more than Callie and Arizona combined. Secondly, both Arizona and Callie have made rather significant affirmations and acknowledgments of Mark being Sophia's father. When they were operating on Zola, Alex and Arizona were bickering over his deliberately telling Cristina that Zola was in the hospital thus guaranteeing that Meredith and Derek would learn of it. Arizona was pissed off at him and had previously reminded him that because of the custody situation that it was a privacy issue and that Meredith and Derek had no right to know or have any input on Zola's care. When they (Alex and Arizona) were in the OR operating on Zola, Alex was trying to justify what he did and said to Arizona, "I think if anyone would understand it would be you; you don't have any legal rights to Sophia." After that, Arizona rather earnestly asked Callie if they might get some paperwork acknowledging her position in Sophia's life in the event that something befell the child. She said "I know that Mark's her father [...]," so it is factually incorrect to state that Mark's parentage has simply been dropped. To follow up, when Mark was going through his Julia Child phase and cooking up a storm, Callie said to him, "I love how you are with our daughter and how good a father you are, but we're more than just parents." So, here we have both of them acknowledging in very clear terms that Mark is the father.

It is worth noting that when Mark was going through his dry spell, he took to the Food Network rather than using the opportunity to spend more time with Sophia. When he barged into Callie's and Arizona's apartment with his short ribs and cabernet, Arizona was the one who was taking care of a napping Sophia and folding her blankets. Also, at the beginning of that episode when Mark appeared in bed with Arizona, it was revealed that Sophia was napping while he and Arizona were concocting that breakfast while Sophia was napping. Then there was his making scones and other things, but nothing about him using his sexless time to take Sophia to the park or hang out with her which is pretty sad because one would think that with his crazy schedule as surgeon, he would use any free time he had to spend with his daughter. I'm not trying to cast Mark as a bad father because neither Arizona nor Callie has painted him in that light. And, Mark was assigned watching her on the two occasions Callie and Arizona wanted to have sex. In both instances it seemed as if he hadn't considered taking her for the evening or night.

Again, none of this is to say that Mark is a bad or absentee father. I think the issue is the way his character is written, his storyline, the fact that Shonda miscalculated when she decided it would be a good idea to have two babies on the show at one time. In the first case, Mark is the manwhore, so his sex life is always going to be front and center with the writers. His pining for Lexie and then his moping over not having anyone to screw is perfectly in line with how he has been written the whole time on the show. Also, there is the rather inconsistent showing of Mark being much more involved in teaching Jackson. For much of the season, when Mark wasn't pursuing a woman, he was pursuing or scrambling to save his bromance/mentor relationship with Jackson. The contention that Mark has "changed" and really been a guy who, at heart, really just wants a kid and a wife only exists in his saying it. As with many other character "evolutions" or plotlines, this has been dropped. Now he is involved with Julie (?) and it seems like they are setting up a conflict between Lexie, Mark, and his new girlfriend. Why not show Mark introducing his daughter to his girlfriend? Answer: because it is more interesting or dramatic in the eyes of the writers to show Lexie's place and feelings in/about Mark's new girlfriend.

The writers never really had an interest in pursuing Mark as a devoted dad thing beyond it being a plot contrivance or device to have conflict with Arizona and facilitate a disruption in Callie's and Arizona's relationship. Now that Shonda is done with that manufactured drama, she is steering him back to his traditional role as a serial woman chaser. Callie and Arizona have not forgotten that he's Sophia's dad and they certainly haven't pushed him out of her life. It is simply a case of another plot device, in this case a child, being dropped once its usefulness has run out and the writers wanting to move on to the next scandal. Frankly, Sophia has pretty much disappeared from the show. Shonda misfired with having Callie have a baby under such complicated terms because there isn't room to portray that, show the child, show Callie working, show Arizona working, show Mark working, and show Mark navigating his social life to play that out on screen. It was a dumb idea because not only is the cast bloated, but the plots are bloated. All this has served to do is to give people who hate Callie and Arizona (I'm not saying you) and/or hate the notion of a same-sex relationship another reason to hate them and take digs at them as a couple.

Finally, it is imperative to remember that Mark, Callie, and Arizona are not in a polyamorous relationship. Shonda, in a rare moment of self-awareness, admitted that she made a mistake inserting him so much in their lives and relationship and that it was time for Mark to do his own thing. Mark shouldn't be around as much because, like other people who co-parent, one is the primary care giver and the other parent, because of logistics, just doesn't spend as much time with the kid. Callie and Arizona are married. Mark is out chasing women, so he isn't really clawing to get back to his friendship with Callie being as close as it once was either. Take into consideration that the three of them have heavy and complicated work schedules, and you get less time for Mark and Callie to spend time together as if they have nothing to do. This seems to be part of a wider trend with the friendships on the show. They are breaking up Meredith's frat house and Callie and Cristina no longer share the college apartment "where all the burnouts go to buy weed." I think Shonda is trying to make everyone seem a little more "grown up" and committed to spending time with their SOs.

So, yeah, it is just not right to act as if Callie and Arizona have marginalized Mark. Not only is that not true in terms of cannon, it ignores the character trend, Mark's own behavior, the fact that Shonda no longer knows what to do with this "modern family" she thought was so fabulous, the show's current focus on other characters and their relationships, and the direction the show is taking. To make Callie the bad guy and say it is "so sad that she has forgotten he is Sophia's father" is a rather fatuous assessment in light of all these things.

trstone

trstone

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 7:04 PM

I think the decision to create this modern family of Callie, Arizona, Mark and Sofia was a mistake on Shonda's part. Not even sure that having Sofia around is what I would choose for these characters. If we have to have a child for Callie, I would have preferred them using a donor.

One of the reasons I think that would have been better is that it would have allowed Mallie to continue. Their friendship was one of my favorites. I also kind of hated all the Arizona hates Mark business. It didn't advance the characters and it only made Arizona look bad. Mark being used as a babysitter would have made more sense were he not the father, but the good friend, male figure in Sofia's life.

As it is, Shonda has made an effort this season to show C/A as happy and committed. Mark is now going to be shown, I think, to try to get Lexie back. I really have only liked Mark as Callie's friend and with Lexie. So, since Mallie (friendship) will never be the same since they are parents foremost now, I am rooting for Mark/Lexie.....

HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 7:35 AM

Very well said BronxBomber, very well said. That is EXACTLY what I've been trying to say but you said it so much better. Brava

Edited by HappyGoLucky, Feb 6, 2012 @ 7:36 AM.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Will always love this pairing. She was the first person to love him for him. If Mark does die in the SF I want Callie to be with him.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Vsv59Z4ADok

MisterE

MisterE

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

The Callie and Mark friendship was okay, but I never saw it as anything more than that. Callie never had sex with him because she truly wanted/desired him. She had sex when she needed to get her mind off someone else. The first time(s) it was George. The second time(s) it was Erica. The final time(s) it was because Arizona had left her for Africa. I don't think the writers ever tried to write them as anything more than friends with occasional benefits. Heck, she called him useless when he was upset about his surgeries and wouldn't have sex with her. Having Callie change her dress in front of him, hand him shampoo while he was naked in the shower, and the two of them showering together and her spitting out her toothpaste at his feet --- all of that was deliberate, imho, at showcasing that they did not have romantic chemistry together. None. He was thinking about Lexie and she was thinking about Arizona when Sofia was conceived.

My wife and I will tell one another "you're the babysitter" all the time. I never thought anyone telling Mark that he would be sitting with Sofia instead of partying at Teddy's or keeping reservations on Valentine's Day with Julia was rude. If anything, it reinforced to Mark that he was an excellent father and that Callie, the same one who freaked out over taking the baby home, trusted him completely. It was obvious that Mark doubted his own abilities --- that was why Alex had to pinch the baby and make her cry for Mark. Mark thought she was hurt instead of content in his company. I loved the way they co-parented together.

I never liked Mark much, but seeing him bond with Arizona and embrace her as the mom to his daughter was really organic and beautiful to see. Like Mark said --- Arizona was fine finding him in her kitchen every morning. Arizona was a flippin' saint, imho. Not only did she accept Sofia as her daughter, she accepted Sofia's dad, welcomed him into her life, and grew to love and respect him. After the crash, when Mark wanted to die, Arizona told him no. She told him that Callie and Sofia were waiting for him. And that she herself was waiting for him as well.

Arizona and Mark scene.

Mark and Callie are pals. Great pals. But I think that Arizona and Mark have just as much of a bond if not more.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

The growth in Mark and Arizona's relationship/familial bond has been great to see - I really like it! - but Mark is Callie's person (it was stated as such in an interview way back when)... they've basically been constructed as Mer/Cris, replacing the dark and twisties with sex-friend benefits.

However, I firmly believe that Shonda and Co. were on there way to developing Mallie as a couple prior to the writers strike (see S4 - at least up through the episode or 2 after little Tuck was hospitalized). I feel like during that months break due to the strike, Shonda changed tactics.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Pulled from 9x02 discussion thread:

Every man on this show treats women like shit. Every woman on this show treats men like shit.

I think Mark and Callie had the best, most honest relationship.

Agreed.
With Mark now gone, I'm going to really miss their dynamic on the show.

Charis86

Charis86

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 11, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

I would have to agree that they had a very honest relationship. Although I also think that their friendship was also not a healthy one, because they were very cedependant with each other. Their friendship almost ruined Callie and Arizona a number of times and ultimately is what ruines Mark and Lexie. They needed to establish boundaries in their friendship so that they could have had healthy relationships with their partners.<br><br>

Sad but glad to see Mark go, I am excited to see what this means for Callie and Arizona. Mark was never one of my favourite characters and Callie was from the begining. I think her friendship with Mark was always put before her relationships with anyone. It is what helped to ruin her relationship with Erica, and Callie forced Mark on Arizona knowing full well that Arizona was not comfortaable with him for multiple reasons.

Edited by Charis86, Oct 11, 2012 @ 11:47 AM.

zenyatta

zenyatta

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 9:50 AM

Moving from the Callie thread (since its about Mark and the Mark thread cannot be posted to)

And what about Mark? He didnt think about Sofia going without a father when he pretty much gave up on life out there in the woods...but nobody would ever say he wasn't a good dad. Hmmm.

One of Mark's last requests was to see his daughter. He thought of her up to the very end.   He was never shown to be anything other than involved in Sofia's life. 

Hmmm, Mark being a good father was never in question at all until now.  It only comes up when Arizona not being the very best mother eva! is brought up by some.

I hope Callie finds a person who accepts and loves her for who she is like Mark did.  Neither of her spouses ever did.

Edited by zenyatta, May 24, 2013 @ 9:52 AM.

Clairelle876

Clairelle876

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:GA, Calzona, SVU.

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 9:56 AM

And what about Mark? He didnt think about Sofia going without a father when he pretty much gave up on life out there in the woods...but nobody would ever say he wasn't a good dad. Hmmm.

Gave up on life? The guy was dying!!! I have to see this post in context because this can't be a serious statement.  

cycworker

cycworker

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

Gave up on life? The guy was dying!!! I have to see this post in context because this can't be a serious statement.  

The thing is, he did give up on life. Out in the woods he said he just wanted to be with Lexie. On some level the show did imply that Mark died of a broken heart/lost the will to live once Lexie was dead. I don't think that makes him a bad dad.... he did tell Arizona to "take care of our girls." He loved Sofia. He just broke when Lexie died.

And I say that as someone who didn't even like the Mark and Lexie pairing.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 2:36 PM

Yes, initially he was weak and they were stranded and with Lexie gone his heart was broken and he was losing his will to fight, but then Mark powered through and he made it home.  He was awake and happy up until his bodied started working against him and he finally succumbed to his injuries falling into a coma.  So in turn he did not give up.  There was just nothing he could do at that point. 

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 3:11 PM

I agree with the posts that Mark did not give up and want to die.  

He didnt think about Sofia going without a father when he pretty much gave up on life out there in the woods...but nobody would ever say he wasn't a good dad. Hmmm.

Cristina said "everyone was asleep" in the woods and she did her best to keep everyone alive.  So if Mark lost his will to live because he passed out then so did everyone except Cristina.  If you are saying Mark is a bad father for passing out from injuries then why aren't you saying the same about Arizona?  Meredith?  Derek?  Hmmmm.

Mark loved Lexie and of course was devastated by her death, but I don't view it as he let himself die because of it.  IMO it was quite clear that Mark died from his injuries.  The doctors in Boise asking what happened to him out there (regarding how Cristina tried to save him), the way they showed Mark's chest bulging from the injuries and Richard saying that the surge happens with terminal patients all indicated that Mark suffered grave injuries.

I also believe it was shown on screen that Mark was a good father (as much as Grey's shows things like this).  Mark was shown spending time with her more than both Callie and Arizona.  Mark took her to daycare and visited her there to spend time with her.  Even the final flashbacks of Mark's life showed him with Sofia.

I hope Callie finds a person who accepts and loves her for who she is like Mark did.  Neither of her spouses ever did.

I completely agree.  Unfortunately, I'm guessing Callie is stuck with her.  Callie/Arizona could easily become like Cristina/Owen with this going on for however many seasons Grey's remains on the air.

Edited by WindSprints, May 24, 2013 @ 3:12 PM.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 5:16 PM

The thing is, he did give up on life. Out in the woods he said he just wanted to be with Lexie.

That's exactly what I was talking about (it's my post that's been quoted).  IMO, Mark gave up in the woods because he was distraught over Lexie dying. 

Anyway, I only brought that up in response to someone saying that Arizona "ignored" Sofia for 3 months (during her recovery) and hense is the worst mother on earth and deserves for Callie to take Sofia away, in light of the cheating. 

If Mark isn't a bad father for pretty much dying of a broken heart then how can Arizona be faulted for not being a 100% present for Sofia while recovering from a plane crash and subsequent amputation??   IMO, Mark isn't a bad father for dying and Arizona isn't a bad mother for how she dealt with her recovery in those early months. Both were in extraordinary circumstances.

zenyatta

zenyatta

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 11:09 PM

Mark isn't a bad father for pretty much dying of a broken heart

Mark died from his injuries not from a broken heart.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2013 @ 12:17 PM

Bone-picking, but his injury was cardiac trauma...