9-12: "Soul Food" 2007.10.06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

198 replies to this topic

bizook

bizook

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 8:27 AM

From foodnetwork.com:

Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee Episode SH0912

AIR TIMES:
October 06, 2007 10:00 AM ET/PT
October 08, 2007 4:00 PM ET/PT
October 15, 2007 12:30 PM ET/PT

Soul Food: Sandra's good friend and former The Next Food Network Star contestant Reggie Southerland joins her for a down home soul food spread. Together they will dazzle you with corn bread stuffing and spicy southern collards served up with smothered fried chicken. Plus, Reggie's easy and delicious southern fried corn.

Recipes:
Smothered Chicken
Fried Corn
Corn Bread Stuffing
Reggie's Sweet Potato Pie
Peach Rum Punch

Run, little collards, RUN!

orangemm

orangemm

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:12 AM

Run Reggie, run!

Edited by orangemm, Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:12 AM.

TickyTock

TickyTock

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:30 AM

Comment on Reggie - what an incredible suck-up, "Gee, I didn't know I could get poultry seasoning! What's in it?", "Gee, I didn't know you could get seasoned flour for fry-coating! What's in it?" "I just love the Semi-Ho way. I wish I knew about all this when I was learning!" "And done so quickly! I love that!" Gag inducing brown-noser.

Ticklet's comment on Reggie, "Eww, he looks like Eddie Murphy in a fat suit. His fat looks fake."

Spooneroonie

Spooneroonie

Fanatic

Disclaimer: I was watching the first segment with the CC on, but even though I didn't hear them, all the babys, honeys, and sweethearts made me want to vomit. What the hell kinda kitchenskape is that? She's wearing black and he's in navy. For a woman who is all about The Matchy Matchy, she really missed the boat on this one.

Then the rest of the menu made me want to vomit, too. Pre-shopped chicken! Whoot! I love fried chicken, but I'd much rather have any gravy on the side. That chicken looked awful. That “gravy” from the pan was oily as hell.

Is there supposed to be cream in fried corn? I must be doing it wrong.

I love stuffing, and I use Stove Top all the time (the stuff in the canister is great on a salad). But I'm not running around telling all of my fauxmily that I've reinvented the wheel. I also don't add slimy veggies to it, either.

It seems to me that Aunt Sandy is allowing Sister Sassy to run this show. Why is she doing that? I noticed earlier that she ripped Tater Tot for winning TNFNS. Perhaps she thinks Tater Tot is going to take her title of Food Network Fool away from her.

The tableskape: The 90s called, they want their look back.

Keep it sassy! Ugh.

Edited: so I can make more than a lick of sense

Edited by Spooneroonie, Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:43 AM.

Jadzia81

Jadzia81

Couch Potato

Jeez, I'm like, cringing. This is just nuts. I like the flowers in the background, though I'm a bit scared of the 3 foot long stems and I wonder how much wire is holding those puppies up.

Look at her midsection when she turns to the side, does anyone else here think she looks preggo?

That chicken is just embarrassing.

Ok, Reggie has officially sold his soul, now that he has announced he is too scared of gravy to cook it. OMG, and he hates chopping garlic AND he hates having his hands smell. What a freaking whore he is. Someone is just DESPERATE for his own "cooking for cooking haters" FN show. So instead of him showing her some southern cooking she is showing him how to crap up "southern" cooking.

Great, SLop's cornbread stuffing is tasteful. Thank god something is around there! Lord knows none of her tablescapes are.

I know there is a Pumpkin Pie Spice Council and I know those two morons are on the payroll.

But aren't we glad that Reggie is brushing heavy cream on the bottom of that pie shell, thus ensuring that it will just glisten under all that filling?

HAHA, she has to be alone with her booze for cocktail time.

Wait, what? 1 to 1 to FIVE PARTS LEMON RUM??? Way to follow the recipe. This explains why she was ok with a cocktail that had only one type of booze. It's basically just rum.

Hey, look, C'leen is still speaking to her. Or, at least SLop is pretending she is.

This show was just pathetic. Reggie and his fag hag giggling over pumpkin pie spice, chopped frozen peppers and canned sweet potatoes.

FlufferNutter

FlufferNutter

Video Archivist

Klassic Alert!

Soul Food = Black Funeralesque Theme = Death of Appetite
Honey. Darling. Sugar. Baby. Sweetheart. Vomit.
Cream is voluptuous. Who knew?
Sandy confesses that she and Reg have shared many, many kocktail times.
Was this an informercial for prepared, storebought foods? The only thing missing from this was the Magic Bullet blender and the tubby hungover guy.
"Oh my favorite ingredient! Pumpkin Pie Spice!!" Shazam.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

• Interests:Cooking, gardening, photography, writing, decorating

Soul food: black and grey accents.

Grandma Dicey was from the south so SLop and Reggie have something in common. I don’t even want to go there.

Interesting play between them.

What is with Sandy calling Reggie ‘honey’ and ‘baby’?

“…In the frozen section of the groshury store, where they sell the frozen food.” Gee Sandy, and here I was looking in the bakery section for the frozen foods.

Ooh, we get a ‘Sassy’ from Reggie!

Pecans are her favorite nuts? What happened to almonds, Sandy?

Sandy tried to get Reggie to put rum extract INto the sweet potato pie filling.

Did anyone catch how many ‘Semi-Homemade’s’ we heard in this episode?

So now we learn the truth – Aunt Sandy does cocktail time at the beginning and at the end.

Of course the on screen version of the cocktail had way more alkyhol than the written recipe version.

Where did the color red come from?

‘Colleen’ on the tablescape looks like ‘Collun’.

GenieinTX

GenieinTX

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:32 AM

Wow, that was the most annoying 30 minutes I've had in ages. Sandra in "It's Semi Homemade" overdrive. Reggie being an incredible suck up. "Wow, jarred gravy?? Gravy is hhaarrrdd." Please.

And you can't pay me to believe that Reggie uses canned sweet potatoes. Those canned things are the most nasty canned item on the planet. My mom used canned veggies growing up, but I can't stomach those canned sweet potatoes.

And what the hell is with all the Dracula table scapes lately? That one was depressingly dark.

Edited by GenieinTX, Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:32 AM.

orangemm

orangemm

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:33 AM

That table "covering" was hideous. Those medallions looked so tacky. Guess if you spill gravy on it, it's a goner. How could you possibly clean that mess?

Reggie, I used to like you.

And those packaged chopped veggies....who knew they existed? Is there no end to peoples' laziness?

Edited by orangemm, Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:36 AM.

Spooneroonie

Spooneroonie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:36 AM

That table "covering" was hideous. Those medallions looked so tacky. Guess if you spill gravy on it, it's a goner. How could you possibly clean that mess?

You won't have to clean it. The gravy'll eat away at the cloth. Presto! Chango! Wall-lah! No more stain.

*waves to Ticklet*

PreviouslyAmish

PreviouslyAmish

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:38 AM

Gramma Dicey was from Louisisana.
Reggie's parents are from North and South Carolina.
Ergo, it's appropriate that they are cooking "southern food" together.

I don't even know where to fucking start on this one.

I'm gonna go make more coffee, rewatch this and put my thoughts together. This one was so hard to watch because it was so forced and fake and awful. And shrill. Like she was on crystal meth or something.

I think his boobs are bigger than hers.

GenieinTX

GenieinTX

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:40 AM

I fully expected to see Stouffers fried chicken instead of her actually frying chicken.

The Tot is bad, but now I feel fully validating in voting for him over Reggie. Damn, that was just bad.

MsLark

MsLark

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:40 AM

I missed most of this, but was lured in because I wasn't sure how Semi-Ho was going to do (read: mangle) soul food. Reggie, where have you gone? That was a train wreck. The chicken in jarred gravy was nauseating. There was no soul in that. I missed how they cooked the greens. Did they just open up a can of Glory?

The tablescape: how does that go with soul food? Way off the beam on that one. I've had my Semi-Ho quota for this year.

rosiehawthorne

rosiehawthorne

Fanatic

• Interests:Cooking, reading, gardening, and my wonderful friends SeventhHell and Reba1953, who apparently are no longer with us.

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:41 AM

When did Reggie and Sandy become BFF's?

I can't wrap my brain around this crap right now. Watching Sandy and Reggie has made my incision hurt. Could have been all that yelling at the TV I was doing.

Soul food my ass. Reggie just sold his soul.

Edited by rosiehawthorne, Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:42 AM.

gor666

gor666

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:41 AM

SHAZAM!!!!!!

'Semi-homemade' count = 15 times!!!!.....Wadda ya tryin' to say,Sandy?

'Soul food' count....*drumroll*.....ZERO TIMES!!!....I guess 'southern' is a bit more PC than 'soul' is.

This has got to be the most gayiest interaction between to food 'personalities EVER,honey....they make those 'two boys cooking' guys seem butch!....(not that there's anything wrong with that)

But I do have to say that she seemed the most relaxed and 'natural' that I've ever seen her on this show...but having 'cover-to-cover' kuktails don't hurt either!

Reggie,you are one brave soul....now run like the wind,sweetie!

terris2030

terris2030

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:43 AM

I LOVED seeing Reggie! Too bad they needed to transform his recipes into the Semi-Homeade version. I would love to see more of Reggie when he's in control of the situation, and not being a ''special guest''.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

• Interests:Cooking, gardening, photography, writing, decorating

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:50 AM

I think Reggie is about the only 'soul' on the planet who could 'cook' with SLop without wanting to sit on her, er strangle her.

happykeith

happykeith

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:50 AM

Where to begin?

Where to begin?

They have something in common - they are both fauxnies
Drinking and using hot oil
Corn all over the kitchen
Surprised she used flour instead of Wundra for the gravy
Her coquettish move when he said "voluptuous" - what a SLut
"That's the fllllllllllllllavor."
Picking up her Intos, UPtos etc.
Fawning all over each other - creepy
4 hand over mouth and 6 Whoots! by my count
Rock 'n' Roll

If he hates chopping, why did he want to be a chef?

I'm surprised that they didn't just drink out of the bowl with long straws.

CREEPY CREEPY CREEPY

ubiquitous

ubiquitous

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:52 AM

OH MY FREAKING GAWD!

I thought SLop was up to her usual Barbra Streissand when she claimed she had a guest chef joining her and then who should join her but that fat black kid from that show ("All That"?) on Nicoledian? Too funny! Would it be innapropriate to make a brown-nosing comment about him?

I knew this was going to be a classic when SLop claimed that they had something in common: She lived in Alabama and he lived in South Carolina.

I have to say that the concept of smothered fried chicken sounded disgusting before they executed it in SLop's semi-half-arsed trademarked manner.

Why did SLop make so much hunch punch?

happykeith

happykeith

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:59 AM

"... does anyone else think that she looks preggo?"

Maybe she and Reggie are having a lllllllllllove child.

TableScapeHtr

TableScapeHtr

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:00 AM

But aren't we glad that Reggie is brushing heavy cream on the bottom of that pie shell, thus ensuring that it will just glisten under all that filling?

That's right, just add another 300 calories to that recipe for no apparant reason. That was just crazy, but it's very telling about why Reggie is so overweight.

Sandy has found her new role in life. Not only is she a "Cool Aunt", a "Fun Step Mother", a formidable "Drinking Buddy", but now she's a "Fag Hag".

I thought that was funny when she said that she was inspired by Reggie for the tablescape, and it was all black. Sandy Logic: Reggie is black and my tablescape will be too.

I counted at least 5 Whoots.

Pecans are her favorite nuts? What happened to almonds, Sandy?

That was my question also.

AquaCat

AquaCat

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:05 AM

Love that they started with cocktail time. In case there was any doubt that Reggie had to be drunk to do this show.

Why would you want to "continue the corn theme?" You're doubling up on starches. And there's no veggie, since the collards escaped.

We know this woman owns a gravy boat, we've seen it (in the Lemon Chicken classic, where the sauce went from the pan, to the boat, directly over the chicken in the serving dish). Why can't she use it for its intended purpose? Why must she drown her food in sauce and gravy instead of serving them on the side?

Reggie almost managed a smack-down when Sandy tried to suggest rum extract for the pie. But he just laughed it off. I would have loved to see a scolded puppy look on her face.

Your grandma's from Louisiana, my folks are from the Carolinas, we have something in common! This reminds me of sorority rush, when I went to a party at a house known for being 98% Long Islanders. I was chatting with one of the sisters and she asked where I was from. I said Chicago, and she said, I shit you not, "Oh, you have to meet Jen, she's from Texas!"

Instant stuffing will not overcook, it's not cooking, it's rehydrating. There's no reason to dump it out of the pot at five minutes unless it's to let it get nice and cold before your faux guests sit down to dinner.

Reggie has a slightly, just slightly, more varied vocabulary than Sandy. How much do you want to bet from now on cream will be "voluptuous" in addition to thick, rich, 'ndelishious? And as hard as he tried to dumb it down, he slipped right into lucid cooking show instruction mode as he was making his pie. Though he did slip a "literally" in there.

Deep red calla lilies on silver. That's southern only in as much as some Atlanta bride may have thought she was being all sophisticated 'n' shit choosing that theme for her 1998 wedding in the grand ballroom of the Holiday Inn.

Edited by AquaCat, Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:06 AM.

PreviouslyAmish

PreviouslyAmish

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:05 AM

Isn't it interesting, though, that with Reggie on the show, there was no need for VOs in any of the segments in which they were kooking together?

That said, this was painful to watch. Pain. Ful.

And I'm sitting here watching it with one of my best friends, who is a "gay black man one-tenth the size of this ass-clown" (his definition, not mine), and when he saw the final segment said, "That's not a tablescape, that's not even a gayblescape.... I need to go have a talk with my people."

>snerk<

happykeith

happykeith

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:09 AM

"...but now she's a 'Fag Hag'".

Maybe she want to Semi-Ho Ina now.

PreviouslyAmish

PreviouslyAmish

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:10 AM

I think my favorite quote was Sandy's panicked, "This is starting to bubble!"

Us (thinking): That's called cooking, you dumb twat.

Reggie: "That's great; now turn that down and let it simmer....."

lvmb123

lvmb123

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:11 AM

Oh. My. God. I am embarrassed for them, since they are too shameless to be embarrassed for themselves! I liked Reggie on NFNS, and, you know, he's on her show so he kind of has to be a team player, but dial it back a notch, ok. They were both acting like they cured cancer over the frozen veg.

One of my local TV stations is having an all-day Lidia's Family Table marathon. NEVER switch back and forth between her and SLop, because, seriously, I think doing that gave me PTSD.

Everything was so awful, I don't even know where to begin.

TableScapeHtr

TableScapeHtr

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:14 AM

We know this woman owns a gravy boat, we've seen it (in the Lemon Chicken classic, where the sauce went from the pan, to the boat, directly over the chicken in the serving dish). Why can't she use it for its intended purpose? Why must she drown her food in sauce and gravy instead of serving them on the side?

[small voice]In Sandy/Reggie's defense [/small voice] Smothered Fried Chicken is a classic southern dish and that is served with the gravy on top of it and not on the side. Usually it's delicious and decadent, but not the way that they made it. To me, there was no way that the chicken was even done.

PreviouslyAmish

PreviouslyAmish

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:24 AM

When they showed the foods at the end of the show, they were ALL THE SAME COLOR. That's healthy.

Is it sad that I would like to believe that all the other FN personalities get together every Saturday morning to watch Sondra and make fun of her?

LlamaSpank

LlamaSpank

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:32 AM

This entire show felt like a freaking infomercial. The one person "demonstrating" and the other pretending that they even give a shit about the so-called amazing things happening in front of them. These two should pair up and take it over to QVC or onto 2am cable programming.

My pancreas hurts from all the sugary-sweet words they were using. *gag*

AquaCat

AquaCat

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:43 AM

Smothered Fried Chicken is a classic southern dish and that is served with the gravy on top of it and not on the side.

You're right. I'm just grossed out by how, when she "jiggled" the pan of chicken and gravy, the whole thing wobbled in one gelatinous mass. I'd want my chicken with as little gravy on it as possible.

Did y'all see Reggie use an actual lemon? That has to be the first time a real, live lemon has been zested and juiced on Semi-Homemade.

Edited by AquaCat, Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:51 AM.