Ye Olde Suggestion Box & Non-Tech Stuff Thread

• Please log in to reply

4803 replies to this topic

JennB

JennB

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2007 @ 8:56 AM

There used to be a sticky note (okay, that sounds weird) in the forums about not starting a "Real Housewives" thread. You all might want to consider doing that again since someone just started a thread in Candid Reality Shows.

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Oct 12, 2007 @ 11:15 AM

I believe that the sticky is gone because the topic is okay now (we had the same issue with another thread, which is open again now).

Halloween Mojo

Halloween Mojo

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2007 @ 11:51 AM

Greeper, shows that are weecapped don't get recaplets.

Jacob's Hair Dye

Jacob's Hair Dye

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2007 @ 12:25 PM

Is there a list somewhere of who Mods what? There's a bunch of us in the Life thread that would like to be able to change the title.

Halloween Mojo

Halloween Mojo

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2007 @ 1:24 PM

Just want to say Yay! to the return of the Tubey icon. Now my links bar on my hubby's laptop looks complete.

kndmanz

kndmanz

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2007 @ 3:33 PM

It would be nice if
1) you could log in from the front page
2) after you log in you get sent back to the page you logged in from instead of to the big page of all the forums.

Seconded.

air_head77

air_head77

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2007 @ 4:34 PM

I feel like I must be either blind or an idiot, but I can't find a link to the homepage anywhere on the new layout. I used to use that all the time! Am I missing something?

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2007 @ 5:06 PM

In the yellow banner at the top of the page, just below the ad, click on Television Without Pity. It's a link to the home page.

air_head77

air_head77

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2007 @ 6:29 PM

Thanks; I don't actually see that in the yellow banner. I can see the drop-down menus and the "ALL SHOWS" etc. links but that's it. Maybe it's a browser issue.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2007 @ 9:15 PM

A couple of shows last year had pinned posts asking people not to just post stream-of-consciousness notes (that they were writing during a show) as soon as the show is over. I'd love it if TPTB consider making that a sitewide rule. There are several of them on the first page of the thread for tonight's episode of Heroes and it just reminded me how much I liked the shows that didn't allow it last year. Some of the remarks make very little sense when reading them after the fact.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2007 @ 11:53 PM

airhead, just click the yellow banner, on the left side of it, where it says "Television Without Pity." That's how I do it. Works like a charm.

Edited by possibilities, Oct 15, 2007 @ 11:54 PM.

fuzzbear

fuzzbear

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 4:47 AM

Or even more simply, just click Tubey's big, beautiful face in the banner.

On a similar note, can we get something clickable from the bottom of the pages to return home? Like maybe the baby Tubey in the footer?

Nailbiter

Nailbiter

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 7:27 AM

I second Mystery's suggestion. As it is now, with popular shows, I just skip the first several pages.

Sars

Sars

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 7:36 AM

You can report that in Traffic Court.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 11:23 AM

Thanks, Sars. I wasn't sure if it was FTC-reportable because I don't think the FAQ specifically covers that issue when the post is made after the show.

Nemain

Nemain

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 6:36 PM

Hopefully this is the correct place to put these requests, but I would like (in this order):
  • An easier way to "quote" when replying. I swear there used to be a "quote" button, but I don't see one now. Actually, one of the FAQs says "Displayed below each post in a topic, there is a 'Quote' button..." Sadly, I don't see a quote button anymore. It would be nice to have the "quote" button back-- and ideally the inserted quote would include the name of the person being quoted and a link back to the post being quoted. Ideally, you could add this feature in such a manner that multiple posts could be "marked" for quoting, and the reply would include all these quotes.
  • A strike-through formatting option would be useful, especially when editing a post.
  • The ability to "search" certain threads only for words less than 4 characters. Threads for certain shows can get quite long. If I want to post a comment about a particular show and someone else entered a similar post more than 15 days ago, it's difficult to find the earlier post. This minimum-3-character rule might be a limitation of the full-text-search functionality of your current database, but I still dislike it. People use short abbreviations a lot on this forum, and it's impossible to search for those abbreviations on a per thread basis currently.
  • Add me to the list of people that want a liquid layout.
Edited because I rarely spell things correctly on the first try, and to clarify my requests a wee bit. Edited again to replace a "3" with a "4" and to combine my thread search/character limitation requests into one

Edited by Nemain, Oct 16, 2007 @ 8:25 PM.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 7:12 PM

Just re: the quote button, there is one at the top of the posting box if you choose "Add reply" instead of "Fast reply." It's the fourth button from the right (counting the spoiler button).

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 7:49 PM

Nemain:
The ability to "search" certain threads only. Threads for certain shows can get quite long. If I want to post a comment about a particular show and someone else entered a similar post more than 15 days ago, it's difficult to find the earlier post.

If you look at the bottom of each page, including this one, you will find an "Enter Keywords" box on the left. Enter your search terms, then click on the "Search Topic" button. This will allow you to search in that thread only.

The "search" function to be expanded to allow words less than 3 character. This minimum-3-character ruls might be a limitation of the full-text-search functionality of your current database, but I still dislike it. People use short abbreviations a lot on this forum, and it's impossible to search for those abbreviations currently.

As has been said before, using Google to search TWoP produces much faster answers, and allows you to get around the three-letter word limitations of this software. And that's true of any website, not just this one. To narrow the search down to TWoP, either use the Advanced Search button on the main page, or type "site:forums.televisionwithoutpity.com" into the Search box along with your search terms.

Nemain

Nemain

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 8:17 PM

Just re: the quote button, there is one at the top of the posting box if you choose "Add reply" instead of "Fast reply." It's the fourth button from the right (counting the spoiler button).

Thanks for replying! I must not have been clear enough in my original post. I see (and use) that button, but it only wraps "quote" tags around the selected text in the editor. I still need to cut-and-paste the text I'm quoting, and optionally add the poster name and a link back to the post I'm quoting. This is extra work I don't like doing (and don't always do). Most people don't bother to put the name and/or a link back to the post being quoted, and I feel that having this information automatically included would make the TWoP boards a better place.

Also, if I want to quote a post (or multiple posts) that aren't part of the "last 10 posts" -- which are the only posts displayed when "add reply" is clicked -- then finding the posts to be quoted is a hassle.

These boards have the "quote" functionality I like: http://www2.konfabul...showtopic=18622

Each post has a "reply" button (which opens the reply editor and quotes the associated post) and a "toggle multi-quote addition" button. So if I'm replying to multiple posts in a thread, I can click the "toggle multi-quote addition" button for each post I want to quote, and then I can hit the "add reply" button and have all the marked posts (with original poster name and a link) quoted in the reply box. I think this functionality would be extremely useful here, especially considering the length of the threads and how fast they grow. Frequently, the thread can grow by pages while I'm reading it. Maybe by the time I'm done reading a thread, I will want to reply to people on page 4,6, and 10. If I could "toggle multi-quote addition" for those posts while I'm reading, it would be quite helpful.

Orion7
If you look at the bottom of each page, including this one, you will find an "Enter Keywords" box on the left. Enter your search terms, then click on the "Search Topic" button. This will allow you to search in that thread only.

Thanks for pointing that out (I have used that in the past, and I swear I'm not blind ... just forgetful), but that 4 character limit is still in place. What I actually want is a thread-specific search that allows less than 4 characters (and I will edit my other post to reflect this).

Orion7
As has been said before, using Google to search TWoP produces much faster answers, and allows you to get around the three-letter word limitations of this software. And that's true of any website, not just this one. To narrow the search down to TWoP, either use the Advanced Search button on the main page, or type "site:forums.televisionwithoutpity.com" into the Search box along with your search terms.

Yes, I am familiar with Google tricks, but I specifically want the ability to search for short words in a particular thread. There's no way (as far as i know) to tell Google to only return results from a particular thread. Also, Googlebot isn't constantly indexing this site, so their search results will never have the most up-to-date posts. The Google trick is "good enough", but, in my opinion, the other search I describe would be "more perfect".

I'm aware there are work-arounds for many things I've mentioned (although, please keep pointing them out in case I'm, uh, unaware). I'm not reporting these as bugs, but rather "nice-to-haves". These are just things I would like them to consider adding to the board. I fully expect them to be too busy to add any of them, but I figured asking couldn't hurt.

The "quote" button under each post -- and one that includes the name of the person being quoted and a link back to the post being quoted in the quote-- is the only thing I really, really want.

Edited because of grammar mistakes.

Edited by Nemain, Oct 16, 2007 @ 8:31 PM.

Qualcuno

Qualcuno

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 9:38 PM

I'm wondering if you folks will reconsider where you've placed the show, "Lisa Williams: Life Among the Dead". You've got it under
Sci-Fi and Action Adventure Shows and anyone who watches it would consider it to be a Reality Show. It's not science fiction and there's no action or adventure in it. I didn't even think you had a forum here for the show, but I decided to do a search and found it that way. It may get more traffic if you move it.

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 11:14 PM

I suggest that "Fresh NEWS" be updated at least once a week like the polls are. Because The Office being added to TWoP is hardly fresh news anymore! It would definitely be helpful to know what's being added/removed from the site by reading the homepage, like the old days.

syme

syme

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 11:42 PM

but it only wraps "quote" tags around the selected text in the editor. I still need to cut-and-paste the text I'm quoting, and optionally add the poster name and a link back to the post I'm quoting.

Yep... many megabytes ago, Glark explained he'd disabled the autonaming of quotes and various other features, inc. strike-through & underline. Never grokked why on the latter, but the quote labels were because they got choked with them.

It's very seldom that anyone provides a link within TWoP, at least an intra-thread one.

Nemain

Nemain

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 11:59 PM

but the quote labels were because they got choked with them

Thanks for the explanation. Could please you elaborate a bit more? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "choked".

Oh my!</takei> Something fishy is going on! Ok, now when I do "Fast Reply", I see an "add selected text as quote" button, which does what I want without the naming/linking. Why isn't this available when I do "Add Reply"? This has to be a bug, right? Shouldn't this option also be available with the "Add Reply"?

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 12:02 AM

Thanks for the explanation. Could please you elaborate a bit more? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "choked".

Basically, every post would contain a quote from the post before it, whether the person was actually replying to that post or not. So you would end up reading every post twice -- once in the original, and again in the quote (sometimes multiple times). If people have to manually add in the quote, they're a little more judicious in its use.

This is my opinion as a poster on the site since Dawson's Wrap, not speaking officially as a mod or recapper. And I just noticed the Add Selected Text as Quote thing too.

wentmissing.

wentmissing.

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 12:05 AM

but the quote labels were because they got choked with them.

I just wanted to add that I've seen boards with auto quotes and it results in pages of multi-nested quotes when people are only referring to a line or two.

Nemain

Nemain

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 12:11 AM

It's very seldom that anyone provides a link within TWoP, at least an intra-thread one.

Yes, and I think it would be most helpful to have it added automatically. Especially when the longer threads have several mini-conversations going occurring.

Oh my! Take 2 The "add selected text as quote" button is gone, despite the fact that I have text highlighted and am using "Fast Reply". Looking at the page source implies the button is supposed to show up whenever text is highlighted, but it's not. Argh, it doesn't behave consistently under Windows XP and Netscape 9. And I don't see an "Add Selected Text Button" referenced at all in the page source for the "Add Reply" (not Fast Reply) form.

ETA: @TwopPemleton & wentmissing Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, nesting is irritating. But if the board software were set up to remove nesting and only name/link the outer post, that would be good because people could then backtrack. For example, if I quoted all of wentmissing's post (which quoted syme), then the quoted part could just name/link to wentmissing's post (which theoretically would link to syme's). I see no reason the software can't be written in such a manner (it's just php). However, this obviously goes beyond a simple configuration setting and you may not have a programmer to do the work. So, uh, forget my "naming/linking in the quote" request (unless you have a php intern whom you want to abuse )

So now the only thing I really want is for that shifty, disappearing "add selected text as quote" button added to the "Add Reply" page (and the "Edit" form). And for it to appear consistently (but again, this may be a browser issue).

Thanks! And I'm sorry I took up so much space in this thread.

Edited by Nemain, Oct 17, 2007 @ 12:35 AM.

trox50

trox50

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 7:40 AM

Thank you for designing such a user friendly and powerful website.

I have one little request. Since you have added so many new shows recently, the number of recaps has increased dramatically, and sometimes recaps can be gone from the front page before I've seen them. Could you add a button on the front page called "more" that would take you to the 10 or so most recent recaps that don't appear on the front page?

Thanks, I appreciate you listening to my suggestion.

air_head77

air_head77

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 8:35 AM

Thanks for the replies, fuzzbear and possibilities. I guess I obviously have a technical issue, since neither Tubey nor "Television Without Pity" shows up on my screen, whether I use IE or Mozilla. They did with the old layout, so I'm not sure what's going on... maybe a security setting? This also explains why the new layout looks so odd and unfinished to me!

On that note, I'm going to second the request for a tiny "home" link elsewhere (perhaps in the "More from TWoP" menu at the bottom?).

ElectricMonk

ElectricMonk

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 9:40 AM

The in-forum episode threads used to have the recaps linked, but no longer do.

i.e., old: 1-3: "The Italian Banker" 2007.10 (Recap)

new: 1-3: "The Italian Banker" 2007.10

Wing Chun
ElectricMonk: the "recap" link on forum threads has been commented out, purposely, for the time being. Because there has been a behind-the-scenes update that has changed every link on TWoP, and we still don't have a link translator in place, all the older recap links were wrong. If you go into an episode thread, though, the recap link is visible at the top of the page. And they will be back eventually.

Fair enough.

Also can recapped shows to have at least two subforums? General Gabbery and Characters? Many new shows have only one subforum when older ones have two or three, and some new shows have two or three subforums as well. Personally I feel this makes for a better forum.

Finally can I throw in a request for the bitterness threads to come back? There's a lot more (and more active) mods then there used to be, and those threads are often the most fun of any show forum (I only ever read the bitterness thread in the Lost forum, for example). Furthermore it keeps the bitter mostly quarantined to one thread, and it provides a place to complain about the show without posters saying "you're wrong, show is great!!!" like they usually do in non-bitterness threads.

With that the non-bitter "show is great" threads could also come back, as those are fun too (if less busy, most days :).

ETA: Wing Chun's reply.

Edited by ElectricMonk, Oct 18, 2007 @ 1:38 PM.

syme

syme

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 9:54 AM

Nemain:

TWoP buys this software package from IPS. While Glark did much over the years to keep it going, and now has legions of nerd-gnomes locked deep under 30 Rock slaving away on keeping Tubey upright and staggeringXXXXXX walking; I doubt they'll undertake the level of makeover you want (& Britney needs..).

True, there are things that would be nice to have [My #1 is a posting log] but overall it's still usable. It may be possible for a skilled PHP programmer to offer user-side tools, and I'l welcome same. About a week back, SP8472 posted a Greasemonkey hack to solve the fixed width dilemma; you might look back and team up with her/him on your ideas.

Edited by syme, Oct 17, 2007 @ 9:55 AM.