Ye Olde Suggestion Box & Non-Tech Stuff Thread

• Please log in to reply

4803 replies to this topic

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2014 @ 2:31 AM

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. Is there a thread for unintentionally hilarious tv moments? I know there's one in the commercials area of the forums, but is there also one for shows and movies that air on television? Thank you for any assistance.

muffkins

muffkins

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 24, 2014 @ 2:41 AM

Moone Boy season 2 is now airing in the British Isles and the thread is archived so I can't talk about it.  Could it please be unlocked?

http://forums.televi...5087-moone-boy/

Thanks.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 24, 2014 @ 2:17 PM

Here's a thread called "Unintentionally Funny TV Moments" that was in the Superlatives subforum of TV Potluck.

Moone Boy has been unarchived.

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2014 @ 5:20 PM

Thank you, Pembleton!

muffkins

muffkins

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 24, 2014 @ 9:12 PM

Thank you.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2014 @ 1:23 AM

I was in the One Day at a Time thread in Sitcoms earlier. I get that thread tag lines are supposed to be funny/snarky, but that 1--"So wop on the key"--makes no sense (at least to me). It reads like 1 of those "misunderstood song lyrics". And it's a misunderstood reference to the show's theme. Just as an FYI (I doubt it'll be changed, which is fine), the actual line is "So up on your feet (Up on your feet), somewhere there's music playing."

http://forums.televi...9#entry16337029

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2014 @ 8:31 AM

I think the in-thread explanation for the One Day at a Time thread title was lost long ago but yes, it's a reference to the theme song often being misunderstood, it was done on purpose.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 25, 2014 @ 9:19 AM

Also, it says One Day At A Time first -- I think people will get it.

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2014 @ 9:32 PM

Could you un-archive the Stefan/Elena thread in The Vampire Diaries forum and merge it with the second one that was started today?  I think it's silly to have two threads when we can just un-archive the original one.  Thanks.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 25, 2014 @ 11:38 PM

Just for the record, I told the poster to start the new thread, and that I would merge them once the old one had been reopened. That's how we've handled it in other cases. There was no way for you to know that, of course.

Here's the Stefan/Elena thread to reopen.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Feb 25, 2014 @ 11:43 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2014 @ 4:27 PM

Can you please un-archive the Ali G thread? His show is coming back tonight, albeit on FXX and not HBO. Thanks.

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2014 @ 7:36 PM

It's just reruns of the old stuff with new introductions. I would just suggest making a new thread with the new name.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2014 @ 8:37 PM

Random question: Each thread has stats that show how many replies and views; How are the views counted? Is it all views, or only views from logged in users?

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 26, 2014 @ 9:28 PM

All requested threads unarchived.

I have no idea what the answer is to the views question. I guess you could test it by viewing an unpopular thread when not logged in and seeing if the count goes up?

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 5:59 PM

Just a thought, in re the archived threads. Long ago and far away, Glark had to close some big, successful threads (e.g. the first Meet Market for Supernatural), because they were just too damned big. Considering that Tech thinks we're crazy to re-open archived threads, maybe instead of doing that, we could open version 2 threads, with a link to the version 1 threads, instead of opening the archived ones. That way, there would be no work for the moderation staff, or tech.

I'm sure this thought is full of holes, but it just seemed to me like an easier work around than what we're now doing.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 9:46 PM

Sure. My only question when people want to re-open threads (or start new ones) is that sometimes threads get archived for a reason -- because no one had much to say about that topic in the first place. That's not always true -- sometimes it's a matter of a show being off the air for a while, or something that wasn't an issue for a while is now of interest again (like a character returning or something).

My goal is always to balance the idea of keeping the size of the forums database as small as possible with having enough threads for what people want to discuss. New thread or reviving old thread with a link doesn't really matter to me except that there's a gatekeeper (me) for reviving the old thread so that we can avoid opening up old threads just because someone has one thing to say on the subject and then it languishes.

That's my thought process but I'm open to hearing what other people think.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2014 @ 11:02 PM

There's an extra thread for Looking here, which needs to be closed:

http://forums.televi.../#entry16369483

The poster (not me) didn't look far enough to find the thread in Sitcoms & so they created a duplicate.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 9, 2014 @ 1:06 AM

I took care of it, thanks. You can also report any post in the thread in a case like that. 

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 9:28 PM

Now there's an extra thread for Resurrection in Dramas (the original poster--not me--didn't find the correct thread [in Sci Fi/Action & Adventure] until after posting). Could someone please merge this post (there is ep content in it, as well as "Oops! I didn't see the correct thread until after posting here.") with the correct thread & then close the extra thread? Thanks.

http://forums.televi.../#entry16374861

Edited by BW Manilowe, Mar 10, 2014 @ 9:29 PM.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2014 @ 2:42 PM

Someone has opened another Hell's Kitchen thread in the competition shows forum  even though there's a thread under the current shows http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/topic/3220502-hells-kitchen/#entry16388723 

Edited by GaT, Mar 15, 2014 @ 2:43 PM.

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 15, 2014 @ 3:04 PM

Handled. That's the sort of thing it's better to use the Report button to let us know about.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2014 @ 3:45 PM

Can the Quints by Surprise thread be unlocked?  They show reruns daily on TLC.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 22, 2014 @ 8:04 PM

Done.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 2:55 PM

http://forums.televi.../#entry16409964

The same poster started this thread twice--I guess they didn't notice it "took" the 1st time. The other version already has responses. Can you please delete this version, which doesn't? Thanks.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 5:23 PM

Got it, but as TWoP Nikita said, use the Report button on any post rather than report it here. It will be (and was) seen more quickly, and you won't be getting anyone in trouble, if that's the concern.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 6:44 PM

I hate to be a pain, but character actor James Rebhorn just passed away and I was wondering if we could get the Kate & Allie thread unlocked to talk about his work on the show.  

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 7:54 PM

Got it, but as TWoP Nikita said, use the Report button on any post rather than report it here. It will be (and was) seen more quickly, and you won't be getting anyone in trouble, if that's the concern.

Thanks. And apologies because I forgot about using the Report link. I'll try to remember next time.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 8:24 PM

I admire James Rebhorn's work, but he was in two episodes of that show, so no. He was much more recently on Homeland and White Collar, so either of those forums/threads would probably be more appropriate.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 7:07 PM

This is a just curious question, but I've been meaning to ask for a long time. What is flood control?

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 7:51 PM

It's possible (or was -- my tech knowledge is about 10 years out of date) to crash a server by setting up a bot or script toquery the search engine or otherwise make server requests hundreds or thousands of times per minute. Flood control makes it so that people can't do that by limiting the number of queries one person can make in a certain time period.