Ye Olde Suggestion Box & Non-Tech Stuff Thread

• Please log in to reply

4803 replies to this topic

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed a change in the threads/forums I follow. The ones that zip along fast, are faster than ever. The ones that were slower, are posting at about the same pace they used to. And the ones that were really slow are still really slow.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed a change in the threads/forums I follow.

We both post/follow Everybody Loves Raymond. It's a good example of a thread that usually had new posts every day or every couple of days before the update. We can follow the dates of posts at the top of every post.

There was a break in posts from:
March 24 thru March 29 (5 day gap)
April 8 thru April 20 (12 day gap)
April 27 thru May 5 (8 day gap)

Those gaps total 25 days of absence, which is unusual for Everybody Loves Raymond. I consider that noticeable.

I've been wondering for weeks now if the dropoff in posting is just some perfect storm of upgrade/warm weather/reruns in March/CDT

Those were my thoughts, too. I'd forgotten about Facebook and twitter, but it's harder to have a good discussion on those. Like other posters, I'm pleasantly surprised to see the return of the old envelopes to the topics pages. Maybe having the forums look more familiar will bring back some normalcy.

edited because pluses has one s ... did not know that. And it looks weird even so.

LOL. I edited my post to change that word b/c it does look weird.

Edited by SunShine Gal, May 8, 2012 @ 10:55 AM.

shilpa

shilpa

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

I've done a search of the forums and wasn't able to find an answer to this: is it possible to change my profile name? I just picked a simple one just to accelerate the signup process, and now I wish I hadn't.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

Ask DorkGothGurl. Sorry, but that still makes me laugh.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

Is there any way to search for one of my old posts? In the Sci-fi section, I get the icon that says I've posted in the Lexx thread. I really can't remember when, what, or why, and it's bugging me. I suppose I could look through manually, but what about the American Torchwood thread? That thing is 300 pages long.

Dom Curry

Dom Curry

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

I agree with the dislike of agree-to-disagree in forums. It's fine in face-to-face conversation, but it requires negotitation. There has to be an agreement and without a back and forth agreement, the phrase comes acrosss wrong. Perhaps the other party is enjoying the debate, finds the arguments compelling and wants to continue. They may not want to agree to disagree. Likewise, the silent readers may also find the discussion informative.

It's better to ask to agree to disagree. Say: "Perhaps we should agree to disagree on this?". That makes a world of difference, imho.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

Is there any way to search for one of my old posts? In the Sci-fi section, I get the icon that says I've posted in the Lexx thread. I really can't remember when, what, or why, and it's bugging me.

If you go into "my content," there's a little drop-down top right on the list, and you can change it to "all posts."
I looked at yours, but "Lexx" doesn't mean anything to me, but you'll probably recognize it.
On mine, it seems to cut off at 1000 posts.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

Yeah, I did that. But going through a few dozen pages is an inefficient way of doing it. I actually tried Google instead, and discovered that I'd posted on the first page. Could have tried that first, and saved myself a lot of effort.:)

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

Yes, I canít quite figure out how the posts are organized on the "All Posts" part of My Content. It certainly isnít by most recent first, the way it used to be.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

Yes, I canít quite figure out how the posts are organized on the "All Posts" part of My Content. It certainly isnít by most recent first, the way it used to be.

I've pored over some of my "my content" posts, and sections of it will go along in reverse order, then it will seem to be by show, but then something from that show will be elsewhere.
It looks like what would happen if you dropped one of those desk calendars, and the pages fell apart. If you picked them up at random, and gave them to a half dozen people, and told each of them to put their pages in reverse order, and THEN put the one with the current date first, and then all of the other sections at random after that, it would look like "my content" does.

Edited by lu1wml, May 11, 2012 @ 11:17 PM.

pellenaka

pellenaka

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

What does "Active posts" mean? According to my profile, I have 462 "Active posts". According to "My Content", "There have been 450 items by pellenaka" (When I choose to view posts by me). I'm a Fanatic so I would think that I have posted more than 1000 times.
I guess that some of my posts disappeared in the Great Forum Outage of 2004 (I think that that is the reason why I was suddenly listed as thread starter - because my post became the first in the thread) ?. But I'm not sure about the difference between the 450 and 462 posts as noted above.
It's not a big deal - I'm just curious.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Did you ever make a report in FTC or Troll Patrol? Those posts are deleted after theyíve been acted on, so while they add to your post count, you canít access them. Duplicate posts that were deleted might also be causing the discrepancy for the same reason.

pellenaka

pellenaka

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

TWoP Howard, I think that you are on to something. I hadn't thought of those deleted posts. It is very possible that I have made 12 of those posts in my time here. Thanks!

Tommy20

Tommy20

Just Tuned In

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, but I didn't see a more appropriate venue.

I'm primarily a lurker here, and have only made four posts (after years of lurking). Today, I submitted post number four, and noticed the following under my membername: "Warn Status < 0 ( ) 5 >". When clicking on the link, it says "There are no saved notes for this member".

Does this mean I've recieved 5 warnings (based on 4 posts)? And if so, how am I supposed to know what I've done wrong, if there is no note telling me that I've been warned, and what for? Color me confused!

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

"Warn Status < 0 ( ) 5 >".

Don't worry, that doesn't mean you have notes or warnings. We've been told the 0 and 5 mean nothing. They came with the recent update. The only part that pertains to you specifically is the ( ) and that is blank. Without any number in the parentheses. That means you haven't had any sort of note or warning.

So never mind,
The 0 and 5,
Your status is blank,
Which means you are fine.

Edited by SunShine Gal, May 14, 2012 @ 3:16 PM.

Tommy20

Tommy20

Just Tuned In

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

Phew! Thanks!

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

SunShine Girl, that was very lyrically said. We should have Tubey reading that from a scroll somewhere on the site.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:37 AM

SunShine Girl, that was very lyrically said. We should have Tubey reading that from a scroll somewhere on the site.

Wait, Tubey's still alive? I thought he'd gone the way of clip art and the days when the recappers themselves moderated the various and sundry forums.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:12 AM

I know there's no way to see who +1'd your posts, but is there a way to see at a glance which of a person's posts (either your own or someone else's) was +1'd?

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Tubey lives in our hearts forever.

SnideAsides, as far as I know there isnít one. Seems weird to me, but there it is.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

Cirque de Soleil should do a Tubey show, like they've done for Michael Jackson, the Beatles, and Elvis.

In fact, I heard that Tubey and Elvis are living in the same retirement home under aliases. With JFK.

snowprince

snowprince

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

With JFK

......Judge Crater, Jimmy Hoffa and Amelia Earhart

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

Tubey is having lunch with Kip's Big Boy.

Gelpen

Gelpen

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

If there is a new reality TV show coming on the air on June 6th on the Discovery Channel, do I need to wait until June 6th to start a forum for it? And would it go in "Candid Reality" if it is a show about going around the country finding old cars, then bringing them back to Dallas to transform them into hot rods? (I'm interested in it because the show is being filmed at my husband's auto shop, in a building the main "star" rents from him. We've watched them filming for several months now, and my husband will probably appear in it from time to time, based on how often they've also filmed him. Kind of exciting for us!) The show is called "Fast N Loud." The first commercials for the show began appearing last night during other Discovery Channel programs.

Edited by Gelpen, May 17, 2012 @ 6:05 PM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

Yes, as long as you have something to say about the show (and it sounds as if you do), then go ahead. As to where to put it, Candid Reality makes sense from the way you describe it. You could also start the thread in Where Does This Show Go and let Strega move it to the best-fitting category.

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 17, 2012 @ 11:58 PM.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

Where is My Content?
Posters plus one me, they do
Insane it drives me

Recall, I do not
Anything witty I said
Search, futile it is

SnideAsides asks too
TWoP Howard says weird, no
Other ideas?

Longwinded I am
Four haikus to ask, I need
All sound like Yoda

With lyrical post
Shunshine Gal inspires, she does
To whine in haiku

Edited by ParadoxLost, May 18, 2012 @ 3:42 PM.

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

Is there any official stance on portmanteaus for shipper pairings? I know certain threads/forums have specific rules on nicknames or abbreviations, but I wasn't sure about the portmanteaus specifically. I ask because I just came across a couple of a posts that literally did not once mention a single character by individual name. It was all references to the pairings, and for the life of me after the first few sentences I could not tell who was being discussed. But I'm not sure if I'm just a fuddy-duddy or not quick enough to be able to pick up on and split apart the names myself in the moment as I read. So it made me wonder if there's any official word, possibly falling under the banner of general readability?

Edited by theatremouse, May 19, 2012 @ 5:22 PM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

I keep hoping the FAQ update will ban those mashed up names. I hate them! But I'd bet it would cause a huge amount of work for the mods, because a lot of people really love Ye Olde Portmanteau.

fionab

fionab

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Can someone explain the way the new reporting system works? It appears that you can report people for the usual reasons... but it goes somewhere different than troll patrol and traffic court. Is the new system viewable they way the old one was to check if something has been reported already?

Thanks!
PS I love having the envelopes back!

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

I'm curious, too. Are we supposed to check the Forum Traffic Court before just hitting "Report"? I like the "Report" button - but only once have I checked the FTC (and found the post was already reported). Are you getting a lot of duplicated reports?