Ye Olde Suggestion Box & Non-Tech Stuff Thread

• Please log in to reply

4803 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

Guys, I respect that there are folks out there who follow the rules and want the thread open. But, at the same time -- when the thread was open, half the reports in FTC/TP had to do with that show. (Yes, I know, I'm exaggerating, but not by much.)
I truly don't see or understand why this show is getting such passionate pleas to reopen it, but I'm willing to listen. PM or drop an eMail.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

QuiBids popups need to die. Yesterday.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

ceelovejay, if you are asking about a show that has expanded threads, then check in the Mod Q & A thread for that show. If youíre talking about a single-thread show, most of those donít have an assigned mod. You could ask any of us or Strega, and weíll either answer your question or forward it to the right person.

jaync

jaync

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

You could ask any of us or Strega, and we'll either answer your question or forward it to the right person.

So, we can assume that the questions/suggestions here that aren't being addressed are being forwarded to the "right person", and aren't just being ignored?

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

I was referring to a PM or an email. If you post a question in here, an answer is going to depend upon who sees it and when and what else is on that modís plate.

Pharangese

Pharangese

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:11 AM

If youíre talking about a single-thread show, most of those donít have an assigned mod. You could ask any of us or Strega

Can we have mods for 'New Girl' and 'Happy Endings' threads? I'm kind of tired reading the same discussions about the actors wonky eyes or their physical traits. Talking about their physical traits is fine for a while, but to keep discussing the same thing over and over again (wonky eyes, flat chest, fat, skinny, whose prettier/whose uglier) is rather annoying. I want to talk about the episodes and the show itself. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

quaintirene

quaintirene

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

There have been multiple shut-downs of Real Housewives threads over the past couple of years and I'm given to understand the mods who deal with the shows don't watch them. I understand this stuff will rot your mind, but at the end of a long workday the RHs relax me better than a Quaalude. And snarking about them is a lot of fun as well. Is it possible that a mod could fall on his/her sword and watch the shows? That way the mod has an informed opinion of what was shown-- and therefore snarkable--and what was not shown and therefore actionable. There has been a lot of ill-feeling arising out of unfounded FTC reports on these shows that the mods must take on face value because they dont watch the show so have no other choice. It seems to me that the RH threads, because of this, have turned into a kind of Hamsterdam for FTC-addicted tattlers.

Philip J Fry

Philip J Fry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

There have been multiple shut-downs of Real Housewives threads over the past couple of years and I'm given to understand the mods who deal with the shows don't watch them. I understand this stuff will rot your mind, but at the end of a long workday the RHs relax me better than a Quaalude.

It's quite clear that the Housewives threads have required an inordinate amount of moderation, while resources remain finite. I wonder if the situation could be improved by appointing a volunteer mod from within the ranks of the members? Given the ammount of mod intervetion there, I would think that Strega and her team would be well placed to choose a suitable candidate.

DirectEstoppel

DirectEstoppel

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

When is the next forum purge? The threads go back to 2004; does that affect the page loading time?

Another quick question, is there a page limit to threads? As in, once a thread hits page 5000, it has to be closed and a part 2 thread is created?

Edited by DirectEstoppel, Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:05 AM.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:22 AM

I think I remember one of the founders saying that there wasn't going to be another purge. Everything from then on would be kept That was shortly after the '04 one. Of course, new owners and all that, they may have different plans.

redpencil

redpencil

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

If I remember correctly, the "purge" that happened to erase everything before 2004 wasn't even on purpose. It was some kind of massive server error.

Edited by redpencil, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:33 PM.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

Is it bad to have posts that go back to 2004?

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post this, but would it be okay if someone created a thread for all of the countless Titanic specials that are airing this week? I checked under Non-Fiction and News, Pop Culture and Candid Reality but didn't see anything (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?).

Pharangese

Pharangese

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

I want to ask, who is the mod for 'Community' thread?

ChromaKelly

ChromaKelly

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

Is it possible to suggest a show get its own forum? I have no idea how that is decided. The Grimm thread (in Sci-Fi/Action) is getting more and more active. As the show has a mythology behind it, it would be nice to have a forum where mythology talk, character-specific, and spoilers could be discussed separately. Apologies if it is not appropriate to suggest a forum for a show.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

Does forum etiquette say anything about trying to cut off/stifle discussion by ending your arguments with, "Let's just agree to disagree"?

I'm not talking about a comment that says that one line and nothing else, but if the person writes a long post trying to rebut everything the other person said, but then ends it by saying that they should agree to disagree. To me, it comes off as a way of trying to get in the last word without giving the other person an opportunity to respond. I had a poster use that on me twice because I continued responding to their posts. I feel that if you really don't want to prolong the argument, you can either simply not respond at all or give a one/two-liner response where you effectively say, "I don't think we'll ever agree, so let's drop the subject."

Please note that I am not advocating that a rule be made against this (in the off chance that the mods are considering it)! I'm not planning on reporting this person because all things considered, it's a minor issue. It's just that I sent this person a PM saying pretty much exactly what I wrote above, and now I'm wondering if I'm alone in thinking that this isn't proper message board etiquette. In which case, I might have jumped the gun in sending that PM.

Edited by tip and fall, May 3, 2012 @ 6:39 PM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:19 AM

I'm not talking about a comment that says that one line and nothing else, but if the person writes a long post trying to rebut everything the other person said, but then ends it by saying that they should agree to disagree. To me, it comes off as a way of trying to get in the last word without giving the other person an opportunity to respond. I had a poster use that on me twice because I continued responding to their posts. I feel that if you really don't want to prolong the argument, you can either simply not respond at all or give a one/two-liner response where you effectively say, "I don't think we'll ever agree, so let's drop the subject."

That's pretty much every post ending with mileage varies (YMMV). At some point someone has to be the bigger person and simply step away. We're all just posting our thoughts/opinions here and unless we want to break forum rules by repeating the same argument I find it best to move onto a different thread for a few days. You don;t ant to get sporked for someone who's a but long winded.

Edited by Puds38, May 4, 2012 @ 1:22 AM.

snowflakey

snowflakey

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:34 AM

if the person writes a long post trying to rebut everything the other person said, but then ends it by saying that they should agree to disagree.

Why would this be a problem? Poster A stated their opinion and Poster B responded, if they don't agree it's not a big deal. No amount of argument or reiterating of an opinion is going to change someone else's mind. By saying "Agree to disagree" or YMMV, is just saying "I disagree with you, but I respect your opinion."

I had a poster use that on me twice because I continued responding to their posts

Doesn't continuing to respond/argue/"give your point" fall under the category of beating a dead horse?

Edited by snowflakey, May 4, 2012 @ 3:35 AM.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:14 AM

I understand that the forums needed to be updated. I appreciate that the entire TWoP staff has been working hard to deal with all the problems that have been encountered by said update. I wanted to report something I've noticed after the update that isn't a tech issue but an observation.

Most of the 2 dozen threads I follow regularly are barely alive now. They were thriving before the update. I love a lot of the syndicated shows in reruns like Frasier, Golden Girls, Everybody Loves Raymond, AND other current shows. It used to be that those threads were active with fun/satisfying discussions. There were maybe 2 new pages of posts a day. Now it's down to 2 or 3 posts a day, if that. It has been over 6 weeks since the update. People haven't come back. Yet. I'm not talking about 2 or 3 threads. I've got 15 that are like that now. The hot shows I follow like Survivor, American Idol, etc. seem to be fine. To keep up with my TWoP reading addiction I've had to find new shows to read, or go off site.

I'm trying to figure out why? Is this an aesthetic problem b/c the topics pages look sort of bunched up with red font all over them which sort of makes it look like the forums are still being worked on? People not being able to discern when something is read/unread cuz of the yellow/light yellow icons? Not being able to log in b/c the server is down? Getting error messages? Problems posting with the links and quotes messing up? Is it that people aren't getting notifications for their faves? Messed up "content" pages? Can't follow along now? WHAT IS IT? It might just be coincidence, but the drop off in activity seems to correlate with when the update happened. I know SOMETHING is wrong b/c my 15 favorite show threads are almost dead. I'm still posting but I can't just talk to myself. I'm trying to figure out what's happening and make sense of it.

If this is something I'm only perceiving, then please excuse me. I'll go get some Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream and a BIG bag of Cheetos and call it a day.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

That's pretty much every post ending with mileage varies (YMMV).

I don't think so. YMMV just seems like another way of saying IMO. You're not implying that the other person should just drop the subject. There are different associations/connotations with each phrase.

Like I said, it's not a big deal, but it does make me roll my eyes.

Doesn't continuing to respond/argue/"give your point" fall under the category of beating a dead horse?

I think that only applies if you're literally talking about the same subject over and over and over again. Constantly disagreeing with someone's arguments doesn't count unless you're basically talking in a circle and rehashing the same stuff.

Edited by tip and fall, May 4, 2012 @ 8:34 AM.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

As far as I know there's no rule about using "agree to disagree", but I thought I remembered seeing a Mod mention that exact phrase recently, and I found it in a post by TWoP Howard. I hope it's not inappropriate to repeat it here--I'm not trying to claim it as an official rule because a mod mentioned it once, but it seems relevant to the conversation. She said (as part of a longer post),

And please don’t attempt to end the discussion with a controlling phrase like "let’s agree to disagree." That just comes across as you wanting to make your point, and grab the last word. If you really, truly want to end a back-and-forth discussion, then just don’t post.

I think it's a phrase that often is used innocently--there's been a back-and-forth and the person is just saying, "We've probably discussed this enough and will never come to a consensus, so I'm going to step back now,"--but there are times when it does seem like they're instructing someone to stop trying to make their point. When it comes at the end of a long post arguing the person's perspective, closing with "Let's agree to disagree" can read like, "Well, I just spent several paragraphs making my point, but don't bother trying to make yours again."

Edited by smrou, May 4, 2012 @ 8:15 AM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

I think that only applies if you're literally talking about the same subject over and over and over again. Constantly disagreeing with someone's arguments doesn't count unless you're basically talking in a circle and rehashing the same stuff.

If someone were to find it necessary constantly to disagree with my posts, I'd take it as a personal attack.
In the threads that I post in, people will express different views, but most people just want to express their own opinion, not argue the points. I know I don't. I come here for fun.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

If someone were to find it necessary constantly to disagree with my posts, I'd take it as a personal attack.

Heh, by "constantly disagreeing" of course I don't mean singling out that person's posts because you hate them, but if they're replying to your posts and disagreeing with what you write, and you're responding, then that's really not a personal attack even if there is, well, "constant" disagreement on both sides. Disagreement doesn't have to be a bad thing.

ETA: I'd just like to reiterate that I really don't want a rule to be made against this particular phrase, since I'm of the opinion that TWOP is already stricter than most other forums about language use already. I get why, but I don't want to contribute to another phrase being banned, heh. I just wanted to get other posters' opinions on whether this phrase was annoying or not (but maybe this wasn't the right place to post? I went by the "non-tech stuff" part of the title). Sounds like it could just be my personal bugbear/pet peeve. :)

Edited by tip and fall, May 4, 2012 @ 12:51 PM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

I think this stuff really depends on the context. I know I sometimes say something like YMMV because I'm trying to soften my delivery, so it doesn't look like I'm implying that I think my opinion, whatever it may be, is some great and universal truth. On the other hand, I can see how it might be used sarcastically, as in "obviously, the facts are blah blah blah, but your mileage may vary." I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and figure they're just being passionate, and not insulting, whenever possible, though. If you have a point of view that you feel needs explaining, because you aren't seeing it represented elsewhere, sometimes people will think you're "building a case" or browbeating others, when all you're really trying to do is explain where you're coming from. Likewise, I think that "agreeing to disagree" is one of those things that can be used to cut off a conversation, but it also can be a way to respectfully show you understand that you're not changing anyone's opinion and they're not changing yours, but you can still be friendly.

I like it when people have something to say and really lay it out for me, because sometimes I learn something from that, and also because it feels to me like they are really thinking about it, not just having a rote response. That feels more interesting to me than a string of people nodding without elaboration. But there are still times I don't venture into a conversation because I feel like I'll be drowned out if I dissent, so I also see how it could feel intimidating to be faced with a bunch of complicated posts refuting something you've said. I don't know the answer for that. I'm trying to be less bothered by stuff, but we all have a line after which something isn't fun anymore, and I can see that not everyone draws it in the same place.

Edited by possibilities, May 4, 2012 @ 4:13 PM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

Keep in mind that as a mod, Iím not spending a lot of time reading threads that are arenít causing trouble, which is the bulk of threads on the site. My observation (not a rule, by any means) is that in a friendly discussion, "Letís agree to disagree," creates no problems. But in a contentious discussion or thread, itís usually used at the end of a post where a poster makes her or his case and then says, "Letís agree to disagree." Then it comes across as the poster trying to grab the last word and shut the other person up. Iíve also seen posters using that phrase subsequently chastising another poster for not following that dictate. If the discussion has gotten to that point, though, there usually are other problems with the post, like tone or opinion as fact or repetitive posting, and a report has been made, so thatís why Iím looking at the post in the first place. If Iím warning the poster for those reasons, Iíll also mention how "Letís agree to disagree" came across, but I donít remember ever warning or noting someone solely for using that phrase.

But thatís how I see it, and Iím by no means speaking for anyone else but myself. Itís just another one of those instances where tone is hard to convey on the internet. If youíre being respectful, "Letís agree to disagree" comes across as amicable. If youíre being a jerk, that phrase is just another way that youíre being a jerk.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

But that’s how I see it, and I’m by no means speaking for anyone else but myself. It’s just another one of those instances where tone is hard to convey on the internet. If you’re being respectful, "Let’s agree to disagree" comes across as amicable. If you’re being a jerk, that phrase is just another way that you’re being a jerk

I think that's the point I was trying to make. I've seen poster do the line by line rebuttals and sign off with a "mileage varies and all that". (which I personally think is also over used, but just my pet peeve)
Ive only had one poster who I swear if I posted something was white he/she posted it was black, complete with links to back it up. Thankfully it was a small thread and I simply stopped posting there.

Edited by Puds38, May 4, 2012 @ 11:57 PM.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:53 AM

I know SOMETHING is wrong b/c my 15 favorite show threads are almost dead. I'm still posting but I can't just talk to myself. I'm trying to figure out what's happening and make sense of it.

If this is something I'm only perceiving, then please excuse me. I'll go get some Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream and a BIG bag of Cheetos and call it a day.

I've noticed it myself - it's not just you.

bumblehare74

bumblehare74

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

I am not going anywhere near the most recent Apprentice episode thread with a ten foot pole. Last night's episode was a to be continued next week episode, and I just have got a feeling that the previews for next week's episode have spoiled the next elimination. Needless to say I don't envy the Mods for having to deal with that potential train wreck of a thread, especially when previews in general aren't considered off topic.

Edited by bumblehare74, May 7, 2012 @ 11:17 AM.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:59 AM

Thanks for the reply, randomchance. Nice to know someone else has noticed. I'm old school in hoping for a reply. My above post has 6+'s but I don't know if that means other posters agree with the gist of what I was saying OR agree about the problems with the forum OR agree that Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is a good idea.

Edited by SunShine Gal, May 8, 2012 @ 8:03 AM.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

Heh - I agree with all three. I've been wondering for weeks now if the dropoff in posting is just some perfect storm of upgrade/warm weather/reruns in March/CDT, but without looking at the actual statistic for spring over the past few years, any theory I came up with would be a wild guess. Plus forums in general aren't doing as well as they used to before social media, so there's that. So I'm left with agreeing, without much else to say about it. (That accounts for the pluses too, I'm sure - one of them was mine.) But if it's the upgrade, maybe people will come back once the bugs are fixed.

*edited because pluses has one s ... did not know that. And it looks weird even so.

Edited by randomchance, May 8, 2012 @ 8:19 AM.