Ye Olde Suggestion Box & Non-Tech Stuff Thread

• Please log in to reply

4803 replies to this topic

Glark

Glark

Posted Oct 5, 2007 @ 11:08 PM

There was and is nothing stopping you from posting here, creating a new thread or whatever but if you crave a dedicated thread to do it in (and I think you do) -- here it be and peace be with you!

If you want to write to the editors use the TWoP blog as we do all check in there regularly. I won't be checking for tech issues anywhere but in the tech thread so please send those over there.

Couple big things from the former thread to start things off (I'll get into it more on the blog next week time permitting):

Clip Art - We miss it too, we're working on bringing back that flavour to the upcoming redesign but most likely not the same art as that was clip art and we want it to be stuff we own and can use freely use on-air and whatever else could come down the pike. Same spirit, different art basically.

Fixed-Width vs. Dynamic Width - I'll be blunt here. This isn't going to change but the code that defines the width will improve. Right now the forums are a true 950 pixels wide but the recap side of things is substantially wider due to unoptimized code that's now woven into the bird's nest that is the content management system. If you get no horizontal scrolling on the forums with a full-screen browser then the recaps will be the same when the redesign hits. If you do get horizontal scrolling on a full-screen on forums now then you'll get it with the redesign layout too.

mynamehere

mynamehere

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 5:31 AM

Is there a way that we can subscribe to threads and have a page (like the control panel page) that lists new posts in that particular thread, as opposed to email notifications.

Glark

Glark

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 5:55 AM

MyName, I think you want to "Track this topic" using the option menu then choose "No Email Notification" doing that you can basically create a "My Threads" in your topic subs page. That's the closest thing the forums have. It doesn't list new messages, just that topic have new messages in them.

SomeTameGazelle

SomeTameGazelle

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:01 AM

I hope this is the right place for this. I often think that I would like more flexibility in getting to the place I want in a specific thread. In threads I read frequently, I know that for the most part if I am logged in I automatically go to the first new message posted after the last time I read the thread, and this works well. However for threads that are old but new to me, it would be really lovely to have either or both of the following automated if feasible:
  • the ability to mark the last post I actually read as an override to the actual last post of the thread, so that when I return to the forum it will automatically start me off from the point where I want to pick up again (I currently normally either force myself to read to the end of the thread quickly, try to memorize the page I was on, or, if I feel very precise, copy the URL of the specific post and save for later, but I am too lazy to actually enjoy doing any of these things).
  • the ability to select where I want to start reading in the thread by date instead of page number.

Vertebrat

Vertebrat

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:21 AM

Fixed-Width vs. Dynamic Width - I'll be blunt here. This isn't going to change but the code that defines the width will improve. Right now the forums are a true 950 pixels wide but the recap side of things is substantially wider due to unoptimized code that's now woven into the bird's nest that is the content management system. If you get no horizontal scrolling on the forums with a full-screen browser then the recaps will be the same when the redesign hits. If you do get horizontal scrolling on a full-screen on forums now then you'll get it with the redesign layout too.

Adios TVWOP. Been a visitor for many years but there are enough sites out there that are doing re-caps these days, and those sites still want visitors who are viewing at 800 X 600, so I'd rather patronize them. Vote with your feet (or your mouse in this case). Since you clearly don't want my business, I'll oblige you by taking it elsewhere.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 10:39 AM

I'm bummed about the fixed-width thing too. I tried changing my settings last week and it messed up things I need for work. I'm definitely reading and posting less these days.

One thing I'd change is in the "Insert link" option for posts; I'd remove the http://. Most of the failed links in people's posts are because people copy and paste the whole web address and don't notice that there's an existing http:// in there already.

I'd also love to see the FAQ address back-editing of posts to answer questions that follow the posts. That really ruins the flow of a conversation.

nichst

nichst

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 12:59 PM

It's sad that the TWoP forums won't see a return to dynamic width. I don't understand why TWoP moved away from it. As far as I knew, we had a site that was accessible to all. Now, those unable to change their settings and the vision impaired are put at a disadvantage. Is there some advantage to fixed width that I'm missing here?

Edited by nichst, Oct 6, 2007 @ 1:03 PM.

LimitProof

LimitProof

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 1:21 PM

Well, for those who would like to see the forums in variable width, I've created a GreaseMonkey script that will do just that (Note: only works on forums). Since TPTB aren't planning on redesigning for variable width, I hope offering this isn't out of line. The only downsides to this solution is that it's only available for Firefox with the Greasemonkey Extension, and the top graphic/links tend to get squished in the 800x600 resolution, but hopefully it will eliminate the horizontal scrolling problem.

My own suggestion for this site: The main page show titles sometimes can be kind of hard to read if it's white-on-light-background (like Brothers & Sisters for example). Any chance the color scheme can be worked out to have higher contrast?

Edited by LimitProof, Oct 6, 2007 @ 1:23 PM.

bluefly

bluefly

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 5:19 PM

It would be nice if
1) you could log in from the front page
2) after you log in you get sent back to the page you logged in from instead of to the big page of all the forums.

deadmallsanita

deadmallsanita

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 7:16 PM

A sticky post reminder about formatting in the Semihomemade with Sandra Lee subforum in How to Reality. (or is that more of an FTC thing?)

formergr

formergr

Stalker

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 9:57 PM

1) I'd love to see yellow highlighting on the forum navigation menu at the bottom of the page

2) If after hitting "back" you go to where you left off in the previous page instead of jumping back to the top.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2007 @ 2:12 AM

A suggestion I mentioned back in the old Forum Questions thread; so you're in your control panel and your looking at your various thread subscriptions. These are separated by category (soaps, sci fi, TV potluck, etc.). I'd love to have those category headers in the subs list be links to their appropriate section.

I tend to get overly verbose easily in these parts so I won't explain why in great detail, but for sections where I've subscribed to one or two threads, it would come in handy often (TV potluck and The Rec Room in particular).

SP8472

SP8472

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 7, 2007 @ 4:41 AM

Is there some advantage to fixed width that I'm missing here?

Fixed-width designs behave much more predictably when viewed with different browsers, on different systems or monitors, or with differen settings. Basically, they offer the screen designer more control over the appearance of the page. This predictability comes with the obvious disadvantage that, if the viewer's screen is smaller than your chosen width, they predictably don't work. (That goes both ways, by the way -- when you're sitting behind a screen with 1600 pixels or more, designs that squish everything into 400-some pixels are just ridiculous. Hell, I've seen 300-some pixels designs. They just make me want to smack the designer in the mouth.)
In my opinion, liquid designs, whily slightly more diffucult to do right, are well worth the effort, and I try to avoid fixed pixel-based sizes in my work, both in box-sizes and font-sizes. However, that makes me pretty much a minority.

I've decided to not hate designs for being fixed-width as long as that width is at least somewhat reasonable, which at this point in time seems to be something between about 700 and 1000 pixels. Anything more will lead to horizontal scrolling for, like, 97% of viewers. Anything less means I'll have to get stronger reading glasses -- preferably the tinted kind, because three quarters of my screen will be glaring white...

I do, by the way, not believe that every webpage out there has to cater to the 800x600 pixel screen crowd. If you do decide to make a design that works on that size, more power to you. But if you don't, that's mostly okay, really. Any 800x600 desktop users should probably just upgrade already (It's 2007. Seriously.), and people on mobile devices are going to have to scroll pretty much every imaginable page design anyway.

Shadowlass

Shadowlass

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2007 @ 3:15 PM

Well, for those who would like to see the forums in variable width, I've created a GreaseMonkey script that will do just that (Note: only works on forums).

Thank you, LimitProof! It worked perfectly.

theschnauzers

theschnauzers

Stalker

Posted Oct 8, 2007 @ 11:36 AM

Any chance the color scheme can be worked out to have higher contrast?

May I second this? Another option might be to have a thin black border on the white Arial lettering, which would accomplish the same thing if the background color schemes for the different shows can't be tinkered with to enhance contrast.

tsukata

tsukata

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 8, 2007 @ 12:09 PM

I used to be able to depend on the TWoP front page to be spoiler-free for at least the first day or so after a show's airing. The new layout/format has kind of killed off that safe haven.

In the old system, the recaplets were hidden until the actual recap was written. Writing the full recap usually occurred at least a couple of days after the show's airing, which gave me plenty of time to catch it on my TiVo. Then, even when the recap was posted, the recaplet was usually fairly benign and in relatively tiny text so it was easy enough to skip past it if it was a show I hadn't seen.

The new system blares the recaplets and even spoiler-laden sections of the recaps in extremely large text that cannot be avoided. Because of this, I've had to resort to going to a bookmarked link to a sub-page instead of the main page to start my TWoP reading; from there, I use the show drop down to go directly to the show I want to read. It's a decent enough workaround, but I'd imagine the TWoP advertisers would prefer that I see their ads on the homepage first thing instead of bypassing them by going directly to the recaps.

Long story short, this may be too much of a PITA to actually do, but I'd love to see some care given to avoiding spoilers on the front page.

abgrubb

abgrubb

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 8, 2007 @ 1:51 PM

Everyone else's suggestions seem sort of important; mine's just kind of a little thing. I'd really like to be able to type in the particular page number of a thread (like, in a box at the top of a page, next to the page number links) and just jump there. It takes me a billion years to get back to something I missed 15 pages (or 50 pages or a 100 pages) ago, two pages at a time. (Unless there's a trick to it I don't know. Is there a trick to it I don't know?)

snooky

snooky

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2007 @ 1:53 PM

Well, for those who would like to see the forums in variable width, I've created a GreaseMonkey script that will do just that (Note: only works on forums).

LimitProof, you are a GOD!!! Thank you so much for helping me get back the variable width ability. I love to have TWOP narrow, so I can read it quickly, and off to the side so I can refer to it during the workday when I have a few minutes. You're the bestest!!

Other than the lack of variable width, I love the redesign, guys. Very clean and professional. It's like you all done grew up!

Edited by snooky, Oct 8, 2007 @ 1:53 PM.

Nailbiter

Nailbiter

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2007 @ 2:15 PM

abgrubb, at both the top and bottom of a forum thread page, see where it says the number of pages in the thread like "x pages"? If you click that you get a little pop-up and you can jump to any page you want.

StuckeyGilmore

StuckeyGilmore

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2007 @ 2:16 PM

Everyone else's suggestions seem sort of important; mine's just kind of a little thing. I'd really like to be able to type in the particular page number of a thread (like, in a box at the top of a page, next to the page number links) and just jump there. It takes me a billion years to get back to something I missed 15 pages (or 50 pages or a 100 pages) ago, two pages at a time. (Unless there's a trick to it I don't know. Is there a trick to it I don't know?)

There's a trick! Right by the listing of the numbers, there's a link that says "(whatever number) Pages". Click on that and a little box will pop up saying "Jump to Page" and you type in what page you want.

abgrubb

abgrubb

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 8, 2007 @ 2:37 PM

Thanks, StuckeyGilmore and Nailbiter. Bit invisible, but very helpful :)

Roark13579

Roark13579

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2007 @ 3:05 PM

You can also jump directly to a page beginning with a certain post by number, by putting the number in the URI after the "st=" part. So if you set st=305 and your settings are for 15 posts/page, you get 305-319 on that page. (For this number, the first post is 0, not 1, so it'll display as 306-320.) I never knew about the popup "go to page" thing, so I'd subtract 1 from the page number I wanted and then multiply it by 15, and get there that way. The popup is easier, but setting st= by hand will work in any browser.

i am rick

i am rick

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 9, 2007 @ 7:46 AM

I just wanted to stop by and comment that since the News Shows forum was combined with the Non-Fiction forum the News forum regulars have just melted away. The News Shows forum was effectively killed by the merger. It is sad to see because I used to enjoy reading and giving snark on the news shows. The Non-Fiction shows and their posters have crowded out the News Shows topics just by sheer numbers so the old News Shows topics have faded to the back pages. The Newsie regulars like myself seem to have responded with a collective "meh" to the loss of their obscure little corner at TWoP, but just because we have melted away does not mean that we are not saddened by the loss. I don't know how to convince TPTB at TWoP to restore the News Shows to its previous independent home (maybe a poll in the News and Non-Fiction forum?), but I am here as a lone voice speaking for literally a gajillion (few) news junkies who would really, really, really, . . . really appreciate having our home back. Please. k, thnx.

Gharlane

Gharlane

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2007 @ 9:34 AM

Well, for those who would like to see the forums in variable width, I've created a GreaseMonkey [FireFox] script that will do just that (Note: only works on forums).

Thanks! I have FireFox on the PC that has provblems viewing this site.

nzs

nzs

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2007 @ 4:11 PM

This is kind of a silly suggestion. Would it be possible to highlight the "x new messages" in a different color when x > 0? Thanks.

formergr

formergr

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2007 @ 4:22 PM

I'm not sure if requests for things to include in a future FAQ-revamp are being entertained here, but if they are, here is one of mine:

-the only thing that irritates me more than lol!hE'sTeHHoT!!! net-speak (which thankfully isn't tolerated here) is use of merged couples' names (i.e. "Dwangela" for Dwight and Angela on The Office, etc.).

I have no idea if I'm in the minority on this compared to other TWoPers-- if I am of course please disregard the suggestion and I'll just blame my irrational irritation on being old!

Edited by formergr, Oct 9, 2007 @ 4:22 PM.

mnementh

mnementh

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2007 @ 10:56 PM

-the only thing that irritates me more than lol!hE'sTeHHoT!!! net-speak (which thankfully isn't tolerated here) is use of merged couples' names (i.e. "Dwangela" for Dwight and Angela on The Office, etc.).

Me too, formergr. It's like nails on a chalkboard whenever I see a couple given a single combined name. I don't know if that's something that could be regulated or not, but I'd definitely be in favor of it.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2007 @ 6:19 AM

Deborah used to crack down on it when she moderated the Joan of Arcadia forum. She put it in the JoA ShowFAQ. I was very grateful. I suspect it was a lot of work for her though.

greeper

greeper

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 12, 2007 @ 8:27 AM

I wish that readers could always access JUST the recaplet. For shows like The Office and Survivor this season, the first posting is a Weecap. Too long. If I had that long I'd just watch the show. I want a 1-page summary. Is there any way to just get recaplets?

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2007 @ 8:30 AM

Hi,

I've noticed that when I view the page on my IPAQ, with Opera, I can't tell if there are new posts in the threads in which I have previously posted.  This is because the alt text for the yellow envelope icon with the little arrow is "No New Posts."  It would be nice if the alt text was something more accurate.