1-11: "Indian Summer" 2007.10.04 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

297 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 8:24 PM

From AMCTV.com:

Peggy is given a difficult assignment. Roger's work problems provide new opportunities for Don, and Pete grows more frustrated. Betty finds a new outlet for her growing dissatisfaction.

bluenote123

bluenote123

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:04 PM

And Pete will be the one who makes it all come tumbling down. God, I hate him so very, very much! I would say that I couldn't believe he stole the package from Don's brother, but of course I can believe it. Gosh, I can't wait to see what he said in the suicide note. What a way to open the episode!

I don't know what else to say right now. I'm still taking it all in.

Edited by bluenote123, Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:05 PM.

domenica marie

domenica marie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:10 PM

Hate Pete. HATE.

Loved that Don was so supportive of Peggy. Anyone else besides me think of those *ahem* battery operated "Massagers" that are sold in drugstores? The ones with the pretty girls on the package. Yeah, right. For your grandmom lol.

Don is definitely falling in love with Rachel, and vice versa. And with Pete holding his secrets in that box, this is all going to blow up in Don's very pretty face.

kirinan

kirinan

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:11 PM

I honestly don't think Peggy's pregnant; I think she's just gaining weight, as someone said earlier, as a protective shell. But wow, that weight gain looks pretty natural. Are they doing a great job with prosthetics, or is Elisabeth Moss really gaining weight for this role, I wonder?

My heart broke for Joan tonight. I really love Christina Hendricks in this role. Don I wasn't so crazy about for the first time since this series started. He's losing control of Betty, and of other parts of his life, although he doesn't know that yet. But Pete's going to make sure he pulls exactly the right strings to bring him down. I HATE Pete, smarmy childish little bastard that he is.

ETA: I still think Peggy's a little strange. I can't quite put my finger on whether it's the way the character is written or the way the actress plays it. It's the same situation with January Jones/Betty. Oh, and speaking of Betty, there was a moment when Rachel was at lunch with her sister when she was talking and smoking, and she reminded me eerily of Betty. Same inflection in her voice, the way she held her head, the way she held her cigarette. I'll have to rewatch and see if I see it again.

Edited by kirinan, Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:15 PM.

DarkVamp70

DarkVamp70

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:11 PM

I wanna kick Pete's ass!! Just where did the show get that fake-looking fat chin for Peggy? How cute was the A/C salesman? I'd let him get a drink of water....Don is really getting tired of Betty. Really thought he was going to smack her for letting another man in his house. And he may be falling in love with Rachel, as much as Don can be in love.

Edited by DarkVamp70, Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:15 PM.

lilarose6

lilarose6

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:13 PM

No Adam!! You killed yourself over that rat shit Don and he isn't even worth it. Don's going to string Betty and Rachel along; I knew it. I called it. My Don hate is getting so intense I'm rooting for Pete to screw him over.

Love Peggy. Love Betty. Can't get over Roger's sentimental compliment that Joan is the best piece of ass he's ever had. How romantic can you get? What a low life. Betty should have fucked the air conditioner salesman. Hee.

Adam. sigh I hope you're happy, Don. It's all your fault.

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:15 PM

I fucking hate fucking Pete. Thieving, lying, brown-nosing asshole. I assume he will use his knowledge of Don's past to blackmail his way to a promotion, or to prevent Don from firing him.

I've not been a big fan of Peggy but ever since she wised up to Pete, and has started to stand up for herself, I'm rooting for her! I loved her squeak of surprise when she realized what the "Rejuvenator" actually did the first time she tested it. And I really like how Don is actually supportive of her. I didn't think the $5 rise was anything until she said she only made $35 a week. Yikes!

Auntie M

Auntie M

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:17 PM

I can barely breathe, let alone process this episode yet. From the brother to Pete . . .And can I go back to September 1960 and arrange for Pete to fall under a train? I'm guessing that if he thinks he can blackmail Don he might discover how a knife between the ribs in a dark alley might feel.

I loved the arc of Peggy's growth in this episode, almost cowering under Joan's disapproval of her personal call, to her excitement over the new assignment, to her pitches to Don and then the boys (poor thing standing in front of such a beautiful man talking about vibrating and stimulating and such), to asking for her own desk and a raise and just dying to tell Joan. And from the way she looks in the mirror at the end, I get the feeling that she's going to be fitting back into those smaller clothes. Now that she's earned some respect and gained some ground by merit, she doesn't need the weight as a barricade.

Impresario

Impresario

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:19 PM

The show continues to amaze me, especially in light of all the cheap shows which premiered last week. The pieces of the puzzle are all starting to come together. Pete looks like he might perform a little blackmail next week. Although I don't think our man Don Draper will go down without a fight. Don and Rachel making love in the afternoon. Betty is having sexual daydreams about the traveling sales man. A tender moment between Roger and Joan. Peggy is moving up the corporate ladder. What else can possibly happen?

lilarose6

lilarose6

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:21 PM

I can't get over it. Rachel's already turning down opportunities to meet charmers who were second in their class at Columbia law schools to keep her affair going with Don, and he won't leave Betty. Betty may leave him some day, but he won't leave Betty. Rachel, your friend hit it right on the nose. You'll end up alone with only yourself to blame.

I love how Don got mad at Betty for letting a salesman into his house. No genuine concern for her at all. He just got mad and berated her like a parent talks to a kid.

HATE. DON. HATE HATE HATE HATE!!!!

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:27 PM

Pete is such a low life. And even the secretaries, who normally are very obedient and nonconfrontational with the junior execs, or whatever you call them, have figured it out.

Its is sad about Don's brother, but I don't think you can blame it all on Don. You can't blame all of one persons problems on another person.

The weight gain is awfully quick for Peggy. At first I thought she was pregnaent, but now I don't think so. It looks like natural weight gain from eating too much.

"You're one of the best pieces of ass I've ever had" Awww........it almost brings a tear to my eye. How ironic that he comes back from a heart attack to early to convince a cigarette company to stay with his ad firm. And their pitch is the feds aren't going to be adding any warnings or restrictions about the health affects of cigarettes anytime soon. Then he is done in by another heart attack by one of those cigarettes. Poetic justice in the end, at least. And I actually didn't think he looked anymore more pale than any other episode.

DarkVamp70

DarkVamp70

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:33 PM

It's a known fact Don is a thug! Let Pete try to blackmail Don. Don'll shoot Pete with that gun he got in exchange for that lousy chip'n'dip!

Auntie M

Auntie M

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:35 PM

Anyone else besides me think of those *ahem* battery operated "Massagers" that are sold in drugstores? The ones with the pretty girls on the package. Yeah, right. For your grandmom lol.

They were originally marketed as "medical aids" which doctors used to bring women suffering from depression or "hysteria" (which according to the definition found here: hysteria seems to be what Betty is suffering from) to "paroxism". It became a do-it-yourself procedure from the beginning of the 20th century on when you could get one from the Sears and other mail order catalogues.

Maire

Maire

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:35 PM

Peggy is getting heavy because she is eating all of the liverwurst, her roommate never even got any!

I still love Don but feel sorry for Betty, she definitley senses that he is slipping away. Time for the shotgun?

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:36 PM

Forgot to add that Rachel's sister is a hoot! I laughed when she referenced movies she'd seen about married men and told Rachel about the one guy who killed his pregnant mistress.

Also loved how Pete's snarky secretary isn't afraid to show how little she thinks of him.

And I don't think Don is responsible for Adam's decision to kill himself at all. Adam obviously already had existing psychological issues, probably as a result from being raised by his two sorry parents. I am curious to see what he wrote in his suicide note though, and what else was in that box. I can't believe the stupid mailroom guy didn't know what Don, one of the most senior execs in the firm, looked like.

lilarose6

lilarose6

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:42 PM

And I don't think Don is responsible for Adam's decision to kill himself at all. Adam obviously already had existing psychological issues, probably as a result from being raised by his two sorry parents.

Issues that were exacerbated by Don's cruel rejection of Adam. I'm sorry. I can't give Don a pass. He deserves the guilt. That wasn't anyone. That was his baby brother and he just didn't care. $5,000 doesn't equal love.

Equipoise

Equipoise

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:46 PM

Post Deleted

Edited by Equipoise, Aug 21, 2009 @ 2:18 AM.

XJill

XJill

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:50 PM

I got to see this ep a few weeks ago and that shot where Pete's hand comes back to grab the box? I said "fuck. a. duck." really loud. Lord knows what my neighbors think...

Auntie M

Auntie M

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:51 PM

Its is sad about Don's brother, but I don't think you can blame it all on Don. You can't blame all of one persons problems on another person.

And I don't think Don is responsible for Adam's decision to kill himself at all. Adam obviously already had existing psychological issues, probably as a result from being raised by his two sorry parents.

I was watching some of the "Inside Mad Men" bits on the web and Elizabeth Moss spoke about how neither Peggy nor Pete can really connect to people, even though they want to. And neither can many of the other characters--not Don, not Adam. Everyone's in a mid-century existential crisis.

When Adam came to the office he was clearly looking for a connection that he was desperately missing and if Don had been able to really reach out then I don't think that Adam would be dead (at least not yet, but he'd still be messed up, no question). So he may not have been the primary reason or ultimately responsible, but his rejection seems to have been the fulcrum that tipped Adam over the edge. Poor Adam wasn't able to pull himself together and reinvent himself, despite having a more than a year's salary dropped on him. Adam wasn't sad about his job or his social status. Adam was sad about having no family. I'm not sure that until Don confessed his truth to Rachel that he knew that that was what he was really sad about too, and nothing he's done since can fill up that hole.

A Little Edgy

A Little Edgy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:52 PM

Another great episode. I wonder what's in that box? It looked like Peter was reading a diary or journal of some sort. Not good news for Don. On the other hand, the worst it could prove is that Don's background is humble - which he readily acknowledges - and that he changed his name. The latter point might be blackmailworthy, but the really deep mystery, namely, the circumstances of the change, will remain a secret because Adam didn't know it any more than we do.

Tonight, there was a rare anachronism. I think that was Astrud Gilberto singing Agua de Berber during Betty's <ahem> private time with the washing machine. Gilberto had not yet started recording in 1960. Her first professional work was on the fantastically spectacular, spectacularly fantastic album Getz/Gilberto, working with Stan Getz and her husband Joao Gilberto; that album was released in 1963. The song (which is not on the G/G album) is classic bossa nova and fit the scene perfectly, but in October 1960 it hadn't been recorded yet. In fact, I don't think bossa nova had yet reached the status of popular music in the US, although it was probably known to jazz aficionados.

Edited by A Little Edgy, Oct 4, 2007 @ 11:03 PM.

DarkVamp70

DarkVamp70

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:57 PM

Don was so cool about giving Peggy her props, so I'm in Don's corner at the moment. And part of me wanted to Betty to "tussle" with the salesman. What's good for the goose....;-P

domenica marie

domenica marie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 11:00 PM

Pete is just a cold blooded snake, and while Don certainly is no saint, Pete is not the one to give him his due. I think Don will be heartbroken and guiltridden over Adam's death; I think Rachel will leave him and/or Betty will have a nervous breakdown when she finds out the truth about her husband. THOSE are the things that should provide Don his just desserts. But will they? This is written by the same guy who gave us the Sopranos. Did Tony Soprono ever, ever get his?

Auntie M

Auntie M

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 11:00 PM

Tonight, there was a rare anachronism.

Another anachronism was the enormous muffin Peggy was picking at during her personal phone call. 1960s muffins used to actually be baked in a muffin pan. Clearly this one came from the craft services table.

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 11:01 PM

Issues that were exacerbated by Don's cruel rejection of Adam. I'm sorry. I can't give Don a pass. He deserves the guilt. That wasn't anyone. That was his baby brother and he just didn't care. $5,000 doesn't equal love.

I don't believe in blaming another person when someone commits suicide, no matter what other circumstances there may be. People have all sorts of problems, worse than being rejected by a brother, and don't kill themselves over it. That was a decision Adam chose to make. I just want to know if he is going to blame Don in his letter, or if it's just a sad goodbye.

Also, I think Don does care. Just not enough to risk having his carefully constructed Draper identity and life be exposed. I wonder if Don will tell Rachel about Adam when he finds out next week....assuming he finds out somehow, since Pete stole the box.

I just realized that the air conditioning salesman was played by Adam Kaufman who was Buffy Summers' boyfriend Parker.

lilarose6

lilarose6

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 11:10 PM

Although I think it's probably a relief for Don to have someone to talk to, Rachel doesn't have a role in the script Don's written for himself. She's Madam Olenska to Betty's May Welland-Archer. And anyone who read The Age of Innocence knows which woman Newland picked.

I know which woman Newland picked. :) Rachel, Rachel, Rachel, I can't wholly blame Don. You've done it to yourself. :(

valsinger

valsinger

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 11:16 PM

Re: Don Draper versus Newland Archer: In my opinion, Archer did not have a spine and was bound by convention; Don Draper is the polar opposite of that. There is steel inside Draper, and his adherence to convention occurs only when it will benefit him. He is manipulative and confrontative; Archer was entirely passive. So while Archer didn't leave May, I can easily see Draper leaving Betty.

domenica marie

domenica marie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 11:18 PM

Gah, I hope this plays out a bit more unconventional than Don "picking" Betty. How boring. Besides, I don't see Betty ever feeling fulfilled - as a person - by staying in that marriage. Don can't give her what she really needs anyway, and that's a spine.

Edited by domenica marie, Oct 4, 2007 @ 11:20 PM.

lilarose6

lilarose6

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 11:25 PM

I want Betty to leave him. That's what Don richly deserves. Her leaving him and taking half his assets.

DarkVamp70

DarkVamp70

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 11:27 PM

Don's a partner now, he doesn't need the "conventional" in his life. And he's stated a few eppys back that he wanted to have a "life" when Roger presented him with the big raise for staying with SC. So I wonder, OK, hope Don will do the right thing and dump Betty! Then again, Betty might crack up and leave Don. Or Rachel may leave Don before she gets in any deeper.

In any case, Pete Campbell must be taken down!!! I'm sick of that lil' snot-nosed rich boy! He's Iago from Othello, with none of the intellect or people skills! Whatta piece of shit!

Edited by DarkVamp70, Oct 4, 2007 @ 11:28 PM.

luessa

luessa

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 11:31 PM

It would not ring true to me if Don left Betty. This was 1960. People didn't get divorced for reasons like simply finding someone they liked better. In fact, you couldn't even get a divorce without showing grounds like adultery. So Betty could kick Don out (if she got some proof), but she could also make it hard for Don to leave. And what about their children? Don would be a real rat to do that to his kids, especially after his own unhappy childhood.