1-3: "Mixing Bowl" 2007.10.03 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

121 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2007 @ 6:35 PM

From Zap2it:

Chef Ramsay must make many changes to a small restaurant in Bellmore, N.Y., to keep it afloat.

usmc5855

usmc5855

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:01 PM

Well I liked the episode. Billy was pretty hot.

Is it a concentration camp mentallity that the owners would tolerate a Putz of a "manager" like that? I would never share my tips with that.

Also did anyone else think that this new "Healthy" food looking kind of bland and colorless?

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:02 PM

Well that was a great improvement. I think that's the closest they've come to the UK version so far. I still would have love a little bit more focus on some of the recipes for the new menu, but otherwise a good ep.

ciaoluna

ciaoluna

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:03 PM

Ahhhhh holy christ naked Gordon legs!!!

That was really the only thing worthy of comment in this episode. Another arrogant useless manager? Yawn. With another miraculous personality transplant, an amazing turnaround, a thrilling community event, and hugs and tears all around, Gordon saves the day, blah de blah. Totally done by numbers, and I'm about to give up.

MyEyesSee

MyEyesSee

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:03 PM

Mike was a preening pissy asshole who thought the restaurant was his stage every night.

DCRob

DCRob

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

Boooooooooogus.

Each week GR seems determined to villainize someone--this week, the manager. Who's producing this show, James Carville?

The remodel left the awful signage on the windows ("Seafood Steaks Pasta Espresso Desserts") but added ugly-ass white curtains. Didn't we see those same curtains at Dillon's last week?

And what's the deal (other than the product-placement fee) with inviting the New York Dragons? They had nothing to do with the new menu, they looked out of place among the restaurant's clientele. If bringing them in had been Mike the Manager's idea, GR would have disemboweled him.

crystalsage

crystalsage

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

Is there some kind of secret course offered for aspiring restaurant managers that teaches them to be arrogant asshats? Must be. Mike was almost as bad as the "Executive Manager" of last week. And what's with all the crying ~ while he tried to pin his mistake on the hapless waitress. Begone, I say. I agree, the "after food" looked pretty bland. I like me comfort food.

Edited by crystalsage, Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:10 PM.

Ingraman

Ingraman

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

The editing manipulation was so blatant it made my head hurt. The Mike meltdown probably occurred after all the customers had left, but it was spliced in a way to make the viewer think that it happened with a full restaurant of customers. Also thrown in during that segment was an interview with Mike that was obviously shot right after the renovation.

While he's probably still an asshole, it grates on my nerves when editors do stuff like that.

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:13 PM

So on Hell's Kitchen he's "Chef Ramsay" or "Sir", and now he's just plain "Gordon". I find that oddly disconcerting. And since I guess Fox is positioning itself as The Network For People With Short Attention Spans, we have to see about five minutes of previews and five minutes of recaps before and after every commercial.

Otherwise, this show is tolerably entertaining but it's no HK. The short-fused character Ramsay plays there is just more fun to watch.

Edited by tominboston, Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:22 PM.

Spanky Take

Spanky Take

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:21 PM

If Mike's tantrum had actually taken place during dinner service, Gordon would have grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and the seat of the pants and tossed his hiney out the front door, old-west saloon style.

johnny larue

johnny larue

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:24 PM

This week's place actually didn't look that bad to start with-- except for those signs, which looked like they'd been in the back of an A&P since 1963.

Here's my question, though-- the opening narration says, "Gordon Ramsay is crisscrossing America" to salvage restaurants. As of next week, he's been to Manhattan once and Long Island three times. How does he manage the frequent flyer miles?!

Clueless

Clueless

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:28 PM

Bringing in members of the local Arena League football team? As a draw? To eat around? In a city/region that has two pro sports franchises in every major sport for the most part?

Whoopee!

I like Gordon alot, think he's delightfully entertaining. But if you're going to 'manufacture' drama in what are presented as 'dire situations' and allow Gordon to aggresively 'fix' the situation, simply do another Hell's Kitchen. The problem is that while Hell's Kitchen is becoming repetitive after 3 seasons, this show is becoming repetitive after 3 episodes. There is really noone to root for...

GenieinTX

GenieinTX

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:40 PM

I felt really bad for that wife. She didn't want to fight for that place any longer, but there she is with her man.

I found it comical that all of the sudden people wanted to eat there because they heard Gordon was in town. Very typical. Does anyone have an update on this place? Did they continue to keep people coming in the door?

IBinHypmotized

IBinHypmotized

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:46 PM

As an episode, this was the closest yet to the UK version--which is a good turn. We actually were introduced to some of the food and we actually saw the chef cook! What a concept! But while I was thrilled initially to see them finally do a 2-month-later recap, I was instantly disappointed and felt cheated with the video that accompanied the glowing words was footage clearly shot while GR as still there. Heck, the manager was still wearing the same damned clothes.

I also thought it weird to have a local football team waltz in to dine on that sort of food. You don't put on that kind of muscle and fat by eating the sorts of foods we saw being served there. They really looked out of place....but then again, we don't know what went on behind the scenes. Maybe the chef/owner had expressed a love for the team and GR used that to fired up his passion...

As for whether or not the manager got an "evil" cut, I personally think that ultimately the manager is responsible for whether or not a restaurant succeeds. No question that there are many factors involved, but that's the job and you have to MANAGE them. To run around screaming "It's not my fault" carries no water. Ultimate responsibility rests at the top--or at least it SHOULD.

And am I the only one who found that Mike, the manager, kept reminding me of Ricky Gervais from The Office?

Edited by IBinHypmotized, Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:49 PM.

ColourBlind

ColourBlind

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:49 PM

Slight improvements, but the show's not going win an Emmy like it's UK predecessor.

Maire

Maire

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:55 PM

I was a waitress for years and never shared tips with a manager, that's why they get paid a manager's salary.

I loved the owners but if this isn't a wake up call, what is? Mike is off balance and thinks he owns the restaurant. Why else would he be crying and freaking at the renovation? He can't even manage the floor or reservations. Check please!

Tejayes

Tejayes

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 10:08 PM

Here's a great idea for a new show: A famous and successful television producer visits the sets of failing, crappy shows and shows them how to be entertaining hits. Cuz this show needs that.

ninthsign

ninthsign

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 10:13 PM

I thought the manager was a tad delusional. He wanted to run the place but didn't want to take ultimate responsibility. I wonder if he is still taking the servers tips? He believed they never would have gotten the tips if it weren't for his socializing with the customer?? We would have had it out long before Ramsey got there.

usmc5855

usmc5855

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 10:13 PM

Typically most restaurants tip the bar and the Bussers/Hosts. Although I have not shared with a manager-some restaurants do tip share with managers and others tip share with the line (usually a token amount)
It is a policy in some restaurants and in some areas is considered SOP.

Most corporate restaurants do not allow it as it creates a conflict of interest.

But: Morton's of Chicago when I worked there in a BOH position the servers gave XX% to the manager pool.

Edited by usmc5855, Oct 3, 2007 @ 10:17 PM.

Pancake

Pancake

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 10:22 PM

And am I the only one who found that Mike, the manager, kept reminding me of Ricky Gervais from The Office?

No, you're not! I was just coming here to say that.

ButterflyRei

ButterflyRei

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 10:33 PM

I really think Mike only turned around because he saw he was close to being fired. He needs the restaurant to get his ego fix. He was a whiny little wanker.

FutonPotato

FutonPotato

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 10:43 PM

Didn't we see those same curtains at Dillon's last week?

I thought the same thing!

I enjoyed the show, but I was annoyed with the manipulative editing. And poorly done manipulative editing. We can see how out of sequence the interviews are based on clothes and background. And the shots of diners looking up in shock (just like on Wife Swap or Trading Spouses) are clearly just people turning their heads in normal conversation. And while Mike came off as wacky, the "villain" edit is so unnecessary. Found the last five minutes (or less) to be an absolute blur. This show will never will awards for editing. At least it reminds me to take all the other reality shows I watch with 1,000 grains of salt.

Mixing Bowl web site - Still has original menu, surely because the show had to air before a web site change. I think a number of the old dishes look good, on paper at least. I like the sound of the new menu, though. And I'll bet that Long Island can use a few more places with something a little different.

I'm far from a Maryland Crab Cake expert, but in my trips to Baltimore, Annapolis, etc. (I live in DC), I've never had crab cakes in a sauce - red pepper coulis or otherwise. Any "Murland" people want to comment? Ooh, this is making me want to catch a train to Fell's Point in "Bawlmer" for lunch tomorrow. Sigh.

Are there any other DC area people here who, upon hearing "The Mixing Bowl", kept picturing the giant interstate interchange in Northern Virginia?

Sunidesus

Sunidesus

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 10:59 PM

Are there any other DC area people here who, upon hearing "The Mixing Bowl", kept picturing the giant interstate interchange in Northern Virginia?

I'd never heard of that before (but I'm from Wisconsin, currently living in Rhode Island, so no reason I would have) but it sounded interesting so I googled... It has it's own Wiki page and looks like something I would never ever want to drive through!

Topic... I'm thinking Manager Mike needs some sort of therapy. He didn't seem to have much of a grasp on reality. Not the owner, and yet acted like it the entire time. I find it so odd that the owners both clearly didn't like him, didn't think he was doing a good job, and yet he still had said job. Why hadn't they fired him and hired someone competent?

taocpa

taocpa

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 11:40 PM

I'm far from a Maryland Crab Cake expert, but in my trips to Baltimore, Annapolis, etc. (I live in DC), I've never had crab cakes in a sauce - red pepper coulis or otherwise. Any "Murland" people want to comment? Ooh, this is making me want to catch a train to Fell's Point in "Bawlmer" for lunch tomorrow. Sigh.

FutonPotato, as a "Murland" person, that's a first for me to see crab cakes in a sauce like that. Usually they are served as a sandwich or stand alone with small greens.

I like hearing GRrrr say "MARYland."

Count me in on that, too. I'm not far from DC (20 minutes) and I always heard about the darn "Mixing Bowl." Definitely wouldn't want to eat there.

Mike was a bit odd. Crying one minute, blaming others for his mistakes, sign fetish. He needs some help. Really.

I liked the wife and husband. They made a nice couple. He seemed like a decent chef. GRrrr never attacked his cooking skills per se, just his menu.

Anyone hoping announcer guy gets a really bad case of laryngitis, say forever? Put GRrrr in there, please?

buttersister

buttersister

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 12:12 AM

No kidding Gordon would have had Blow Up Boy out of there if even one customer was in sight. And just what the hell has that ass got on his boss that they let him stay? The restaurant was getting a second chance so everyone would? Really? After years of screwing up, this is his second chance? So surprised Gordon didn't tell the owner to grow a pair and get himself a new manager. Or maybe he did and they just refused. I'm not sure whether to buy the 'two months later' or not - the "Manager"'s wardrobe was the same, but with all those screws lose, he might consider that his uniform.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 1:39 AM

If there's anyone to sympathize with on this show, it has to be the "hapless waitress" figure who shows up every week...that Jenna girl last week and Kim this week. She just had that look in her eyes that says, "what the hell am I doing here?" but just kept on soldiering along.

Those signs were soooo tacky. The makeover really elevated the restaurant to a higher class. Not bad!

ElisaJ

ElisaJ

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 5:59 AM

The editing is what got me in this episode. You could tell more or less when the interviews took place by what the staff was wearing. The black polos before the redecoration, the black button-ups afterwards, and I swear, they just sprinkled random interview bites in through the whole freaking episode. I hate that you can't tell an actual progression of time and how people's attitudes change, like you can in the UK version, because of the crappy franken-edits.

slyest romantic

slyest romantic

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 6:16 AM

I'm still giggling over the "Years of Rage" shirt Gordon was wearing when he made his first visit. Just seemed so fitting for him.

The narrator has to go. Like these kitchen/restaurant makeovers, I think it would improve the show 100%. When I heard him going into a commercial break saying, "When we come back, the service you have to see to believe!", that summed up everything that is wrong with this show. First, of course, Gordon would never say that. Second, we don't need the drama spelled out for us, FOX, thanks. Why not let any natural drama unfold before our eyes rather than telling us the "drama" is on its way? Third, we don't need drama! That's not what the show is primarily about. Yes, there is drama and conflict in the UK version, but it is part of the overall tone of the show; it's not the primary draw. And when there is drama, it never reeks of bad editing and manufacturing.

This is probably the "best" of the three episodes thus far, because the "drama" didn't include as much scenery chewing as the other two. I did get a good laugh with Gordon when he saw all the signs. And when he asked, "Is there anything else I need to know about?" and Mike said, "No. [pause] Well...", the reaction from Gordon was priceless... and natural.

I loved the new chairs! Didn't really get a good long look at the rest. Didn't get a good long look at Gordon's legs, either, except to say, "Get some sun on those things, Gordon!" And what? No glimpse of him switching into his chef whites? Tsk. I will say watching him cook with Billy was my favourite part of the episode. Everything else around him might be manufactured on this show, but there is something wonderfully real about watching him cook.

"It's not my fault!!"

Edited by slyest romantic, Oct 4, 2007 @ 6:17 AM.

lemurian

lemurian

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 6:37 AM

Yep, "it's not my fault!" was this episode's sound bite. Just like "not guilty" was to last week's episode.

If they produce sound bites like that for every episode someone ought to sample and mix them into a nice little song.

iamaluckydog

iamaluckydog

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 7:36 AM

Is the manager on the downlow with the chef/owner, or something? 'Cuz if that asshat *ever* talked to me like he did to the wife/owner, my husband would have fired his ass in a second. After he'd kicked the managers ass.

Hell, *I* would have kicked the managers ass myself!