Sarah Walker: Wienerlicious, but Deadly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

502 replies to this topic

Dirndl

Dirndl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2010 @ 4:10 PM

Yvonne has joined twitter. Wow, two days and already almost 6.000 followers!

Clark Kellog

Clark Kellog

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 17, 2010 @ 12:22 AM

10 ten list with Sarah in it
Ive been lurking for a while because I absolutley love Chuck and Sarah Walker obviously. I just decided to post this link i found really funny that featured sarah pretty prominently. The site is actually pretty funny and deals with a lot of tv stuff.

thalassus

thalassus

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2010 @ 9:31 PM

An article on Yvonne, Chazzie, and Wilbur.

Also I am totally digging the new background on her Twitter. I think it's her expressions... :)

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 11:48 PM

"Sexting Sarah" was the best part of an otherwise lame sub-plot. The ridiculous, yet because its still Yvonne very sexy, poses across the airplane seats.

Mountain West

Mountain West

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 28, 2010 @ 4:03 PM

Sarah sexting was one of the best parts of S4 so far. Yvonne is awesome with comedy, use it.

snowprince

snowprince

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2010 @ 12:17 AM

No longer Weinerlicious, but still deadly. How about after tonight, Sarah Walker: Hell Hath No Fury

thalassus

thalassus

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2010 @ 4:46 AM

Good grief, Charles, if you still aren't convinced that that woman loves you come hell or high water, I don't know what would. You're a damn lucky bastard.

Yvonne Strahovski really nailed it in "Phase Three". If she ever has to audition for a role again, she only needs to show this episode to demonstrate her talent.

Lyssanick

Lyssanick

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 8:02 PM

From the "Phrase Three" discussion thread:

I think that this is a topic worth discussing. I'd much rather see two people who wanted to be with each other rather than two people who needed to be with each other, and it's psychologically troubling that each of them derives his or her sense of self-worth from what he or she thinks the other's perception of him or her is. It's alright to seek validation with one's partner, but Chuck and Sarah need to learn that to a certain extent, they're independent people, each with his or her own desires, hopes, fears, etc. They're not a unit. They're not two halves of the same whole. They're two people in a loving, committed relationship.

I think that Sarah said it best in this episode: "Without you, I'm nobody." That's disconcerting. How is Chuck supposed to love "nobody?" Sure, it's all lovely and romantic that he made her see the good in herself and become the woman she wanted to become, but I wish that there were a greater acknowledgment of the fact that the good was always there. As it stands, it sometimes feels as if Chuck is in love with his own creation, and that's creepy on a Pygmalion-like level.

I think this really gets at a huge problem with the Sarah character that's mostly covered up by YS's good acting. Part of her secondary-ness/comparative lack of development (relative to Chuck) is in the show's title, but part of it is that Sarah's still a plot contrivance/object in many ways. It's annoyed me in the past several episodes that she is *never* right in an argument, or she is, but then concedes to Chuck (think First Fight and Mom). The "growth" that she (and everyone else) keeps commenting on is almost disturbing at some points to me, because it's simply growth onto something (or someone).
Plus, if any an episode deserved to buck the formula and be a Sarah vs. Something, it was this one, and it still didn't happen. And while the lengths she'll go to for Chuck are admirable, and her accepting the things in her life that have changed, it's disconcerting that the lens by which she's viewed her self-worth have simply switched from work in the first season and a half to Chuck since then. I'd like to see her grow as a person and acknowledge her own strength/benefits/good points, and be OK with that. As it stands now, the relationship has a very herky-jerky high-school feel, and it's something that I don't think will be resolved until they both grow as people and are comfortable with themselves. They've gotten Chuck basically there, but let's get Sarah there too!

It's interesting that before she met Chuck, Sarah was so cruel that even Casey was disgusted by her. This has been hinted at before, but this is the first time we got the impression that even her fellow agents didn't like her. It will be nice to see if this is followed up at a later point.

This was actually one of my favorite comments, ever, regarding Sarah, and one of the points that saved the episode, from a character standpoint, to me. I don't think she was cruel, I think she was simply unpredictable (Langston Graham's wild-card enforcer), and it adds an interesting, desperate note to everything we know about season 1 Sarah and pre-show Sarah, particularly her relationship with Bryce. She had nothing to lose, she was severely indebted to/molded by Graham, and she was not at all the beautiful, put-together, deadly assassin that he'd Pygmalion'd and that she tried so hard to be. And while I did just say that I don't love how all her growth has been in relationship to/due to Chuck, that comment kind of saved it for me, because it was almost acknowledging that her growth did extend beyond Chuck/the relationship and just generally made her a better person. If that makes any sense.

Merve

Merve

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 8:24 PM

Plus, if any an episode deserved to buck the formula and be a Sarah vs. Something, it was this one, and it still didn't happen. And while the lengths she'll go to for Chuck are admirable, and her accepting the things in her life that have changed, it's disconcerting that the lens by which she's viewed her self-worth have simply switched from work in the first season and a half to Chuck since then. I'd like to see her grow as a person and acknowledge her own strength/benefits/good points, and be OK with that. As it stands now, the relationship has a very herky-jerky high-school feel, and it's something that I don't think will be resolved until they both grow as people and are comfortable with themselves. They've gotten Chuck basically there, but let's get Sarah there too!

I think that Chuck's approach to the relationship is also somewhat high-school-ish, but I'll take it to the Chuck thread.

This was actually one of my favorite comments, ever, regarding Sarah, and one of the points that saved the episode, from a character standpoint, to me. I don't think she was cruel, I think she was simply unpredictable (Langston Graham's wild-card enforcer), and it adds an interesting, desperate note to everything we know about season 1 Sarah and pre-show Sarah, particularly her relationship with Bryce. She had nothing to lose, she was severely indebted to/molded by Graham, and she was not at all the beautiful, put-together, deadly assassin that he'd Pygmalion'd and that she tried so hard to be. And while I did just say that I don't love how all her growth has been in relationship to/due to Chuck, that comment kind of saved it for me, because it was almost acknowledging that her growth did extend beyond Chuck/the relationship and just generally made her a better person. If that makes any sense.

Initially, Sarah did show a lot of pride in her work, especially in "Helicopter," when she explained to Chuck why she killed the French assassins. It's a facet of her character that's been somewhat lost since S2, sparking the unfortunate and incorrect interpretation that Sarah wanted to quit the spy life in S3. (If she had wanted to quit any point, she could have just up and quit, if running away is as simple as "Pink Slip" led us to believe.) I wonder why Sarah no longer seems to see her spy abilities as valuable to her as a person. Sure, they're not exactly personality traits, but just as a piano virtuoso can be proud of his or her musical talents, surely Sarah can continue to be proud of her spy talents. She should be able to derive some sense of self-worth from her work. I understand that spy craft is essentially the only job that she has ever known, but if there were nothing drawing her to the profession, then she could easily pick a less dangerous occupation. I'd like to see this issue be explored in more detail.

On a tangential note, I am happy to see that despite her words, Sarah seems to be developing meaningful friendships with Casey and Morgan this season. I'm fine with Chuck being the one who sparked her newfound openness, but I hope that Sarah eventually realizes that these friendships have intrinsic value, and that her ability to develop friendships is worthwhile in and of itself, not just as an extension of Chuck's influence on her.

Samurai

Samurai

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 8:32 PM

I agree that it'd be nice for Chuck to take Sarah's view once in a while instead of the other way around. This frustrated me the most in 'First Fight', but she's definitely adapted plenty for him, as opposed to the other way around.

I think that Sarah said it best in this episode: "Without you, I'm nobody." That's disconcerting. How is Chuck supposed to love "nobody?" Sure, it's all lovely and romantic that he made her see the good in herself and become the woman she wanted to become, but I wish that there were a greater acknowledgment of the fact that the good was always there. As it stands, it sometimes feels as if Chuck is in love with his own creation, and that's creepy on a Pygmalion-like level.

I think it's important to note the sentence that Sarah followed up with - "I'm nothing but a spy", which implies that before she met Chuck, Sarah was simply a spy looking forward to her next mission (as she put it late season 3). We've never been quite clear on when Chuck fell for Sarah, but given that we know that Sarah fell for Chuck sometime during the first episode of the show, it may be that he unwittingly stoked the personal and emotional growth in Sarah before he fell for her. In that sense, I would argue it's much less that Chuck fell in love with a creation that he actively sculpted, so to speak.

Merve

Merve

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 8:55 PM

I think it's important to note the sentence that Sarah followed up with - "I'm nothing but a spy", which implies that before she met Chuck, Sarah was simply a spy looking forward to her next mission (as she put it late season 3). We've never been quite clear on when Chuck fell for Sarah, but given that we know that Sarah fell for Chuck sometime during the first episode of the show, it may be that he unwittingly stoked the personal and emotional growth in Sarah before he fell for her. In that sense, I would argue it's much less that Chuck fell in love with a creation that he actively sculpted, so to speak.

That's fair, and I think that I agree with it. I just wish that from time to time, we could see that Sarah indeed still values her role in the spy world. With that, her line about being nothing but a spy before Chuck transforms from a psychological worry into an emotionally healthy statement about being a well-rounded person.

thalassus

thalassus

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 9:20 PM

In a sense we still did get a glimpse of her pride in her spy craft in the third season. Remember that little scene in "Living Dead", where Chuck was moping about Orion's sudden departure and Sarah proudly shows her work, lifting Orion's license and figuring out that a certain isolated forest cabin had to be Orion's:

Chuck: Wow, that's so...
Sarah: Spy-ish? Well, I am a spy.

I also think that little comment of Casey's shone light on his behavior in the early parts of the first season: he hated her guts (e.g. in the pilot where he was willing to run over her and in "Helicopter" where he seemed to revel in telling Chuck about the nasty stuff Sarah has done). Now that I think about it, it puts Casey's lines like "You called me your partner" in "Truth" in a new light as well...

Also, I now want to see even more Sarah-Morgan interaction. That was a really nice moment in "Phase Three".

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 11:15 PM

On a tangential note, I am happy to see that despite her words, Sarah seems to be developing meaningful friendships with Casey and Morgan this season.

Now that Morgan is in the spy world now, I'm glad we're getting more Sarah/Morgan scenes. Now if we could get some of that action with Sarah and Ellie, I'd be all set.

A few times I've wished that Carina could come back just so Sarah could have a girl friend to talk to; but that shouldn't be necessary since Ellie's right there.

thalassus

thalassus

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2010 @ 12:02 AM

From the "Phase Three" thread:

I don't recall this being hinted at really, in the pilot, Sarah said that Casey was basically the stone-cold killer, "a burn-out", I think she said. She was sympathetic to Chuck from the start and said to her boss, Graham, that she wasn't sure about this guy (chuck) being somebody they should track/take out. I loved this episode, but think they re-wrote history a bit here. In the first season, she was the more human spy and Casey wasn't. Casey was going to kill Chuck on being ordered to do so, and Sarah never would have even considered it. They didn't need the love of Chuck to change her that much, emphasizing the opening up of her would have been enough instead of making it into a total change.

[snip] [I believe that] she was already in love with Chuck ("after you fixed my phone and before you started defusing bombs with computer viruses," per "Other Guy," and "I liked you. That made it much harder," per "Nacho Sampler"), so I'm pretty sure it wasn't entirely "professional Sarah" we saw in the Pilot.

Thus, I am more interested than ever in seeing a flashback to "pre-Chuck Sarah."

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 27, 2010 @ 7:52 AM.
Boards on boards

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2010 @ 4:07 AM

It should also be noted that even when she told Chuck she would quit in Honeymooners, she couldn't because she felt it wouldn't be responsible to do so. So she clearly draws some sense of self worth from work.

Merve

Merve

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2010 @ 12:31 PM

It should also be noted that even when she told Chuck she would quit in Honeymooners, she couldn't because she felt it wouldn't be responsible to do so. So she clearly draws some sense of self worth from work.

To me, that comes more from a sense of duty than anything else. We've seen that Casey is proud to do that duty, but the question is: does Sarah also share that sense of pride?

ybrik

ybrik

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2010 @ 2:16 PM

Having rewatched the 1st couple of episodes of the show again today, I think the wild card enforcer was definitely implied. Chuck's first flash on Sarah was of her killing two people while dressed as a homeless woman. It is a pretty brutal kill. She gets in a fight with them and takes one of their guns and kills them with point blank shots to the head. Then the French dinner poisoning while she justified killing them is also a bit extreme. In both cases we have Sarah alone taking on multiple enemies and using deadly actions. There is no arresting them or even trying to. On the show, we have seen Sarah isn't one who just kills people so the idea of her being Graham's enforcer is evident.

Also the bit of the wild card can be seen in the scene where she is standing in the middle of the road playing chicken with Casey's SUV before she throws the knife to bring up the road blocks (?) causing Casey to crash. (What happened to those other agents in the car?)

[snip][Casey and Sarah] come from very different backgrounds. Casey was a man who while young made a choice to join a secret operation leaving behind a fiance and whatever other family he may have had at the time. Sarah was a teenage girl who spent most of life at the time running cons. (I say most because we don't know when exactly her dad started using her for cons) whose father was arrested and didn't appear to have much of a future on her own.

However, I would like to see more flash backs for both of them to show more about what made them the way they are. I'd really like to see any flashbacks between the two of them before Chuck.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 28, 2010 @ 2:38 AM.
Boards on boards

venrael

venrael

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 8, 2010 @ 6:52 AM

http://www.emmy4yvonne.com

Chuck fans have long admired the talents of all of the great actors on the show, their chemistry together and how each has brought such great depth to these characters we love so much.

However because of the fact that the show is so unique with great elements of comedy, drama and action it tends to get ignored at awards time. So we have decided to try and help change that for one of the actors in particular, Yvonne Strahovski.

We the fans have decided to try and respectfully raise the awareness among the Academy members, the entertainment media and the public in general to what an incredible talent Yvonne Strahovski truly is. She is something very special and deserves all the recognition she can get.

Over the next few months we will be using Twitter, fan sites, bloggers and all other social networking tools to try and get the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences to honor Yvonne with a much deserved Emmy nomination for lead actress in a series.

Be part of it and support our mission by spreading word and keep the movement going.

Merve

Merve

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2010 @ 12:26 AM

Guess who's #1 on this list of TV's sexiest women of 2010?

(For the record, Sarah Lancaster is also on the list at #63.)

Edited by Merve, Dec 14, 2010 @ 12:27 AM.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 9:15 PM

Hey now, we actually got some history about Sarah! It seems like her parents (yay! first mention of her mother) broke up when she was young, and Dad got custody.

Of course Chuck is the main character, but in this season of Mothers, I was hoping we'd learn more about Sarah's.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 8:51 PM

I wonder if the mere mention of her mother might be a setup for a future appearance or discussion of her. I'm not sure if they knew of the 11 episode pickup at that point of shooting. Maybe we'll learn more since it seems Sarah is going to be spending some quality time with Chuck's mom in the coming episodes.

Really, any episode that gives me more Sarah I am down for watching.

Edited by MV007, Jan 19, 2011 @ 8:51 PM.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 1:18 AM

So we're still getting tiny bits of info on Sarah's parents. Bad divorce (shared custody?) apparently. I'm assuming that we'll get more info in the next episode ("Wedding Planner"), but it looks like TPTB aren't that interested in her mother. Which I think is a shame, since I feel we should know more about Ms. Sarah Sam Lisa Walker Burton by now.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 2:24 AM

Yvonne Strahovski is Sobe's pitchwoman for this year. I'm trying to find a classy way to mention that this means a bodypaint photoshoot. (It's all tasteful, but depending on your workplace, still possibly NSFW.)