Speculation Without Spoilers: You Know You Get Those Hunches Sometimes

• Please log in to reply

738 replies to this topic

teevee100

teevee100

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 4:24 PM

Ya i agree. In another thread someone suggested devoting an entire episode to Dexter and Deb just discussing things and used the analogy of some Spiderman comic book when sombody (forget who) found out that Peter Parker was Spiderman and the entire comic was just the two of them talking about it in his apartment.

I'm glad the Buck said that 701 will pick up right where they left off and hope the first 10 minutes or so are just Deb freaking out, trying to make sense of it with Dexter owning up to it, revealing some of the truth and Deb convincing him to leave the body so the MPD can close the books on the case and the public know that DDK is dead. Afterwads i would love it if a good 30 minutes was just them in Dexter's apartment with Deb working it all out and inquiring about ITK, Doakes, Miguel, Trinity, Rita, Lumen, etc. I'm sure some viewers would complain that it was boring but it would only be one episode and i think it's important moving forward to establish everything between the two with Deb knowing virtually everything. Deb's personality is such that it wouldn't ring true if the writers tried to have Deb remain in the dark about Dexter's past activities, she wouldn't rest until she knew everything.

I have also seen some people actually complaining that Deb found out and saying that they thought she shouldn't have until there were only 2 or 3 episodes left in the entire series, my god i'm glad they aren't writers on the show. You know the expression "it's not the destination it's the journey" e.g. graduation day is important and the culmination of all your hard work but it's really the 4 years day in and day out along with all the experiences you've had that was important, not the diploma being placed in your hand.

Deb finding out is like that but in reverse. Yes we've been waiting in anticipation for her to find out and the last minute of the finale was very satisfying but to me that isn't the most interesting thing or the real pay off. The real pay off is seeing Deb's reaction (more than just the 10 second mouth open gasp) how it effects their relationship moving forward and the inevitable ups and downs, how Deb's perspective of Dexter may shift and the struggle that they, Deb especially, will go through after this revelation. I for one am looking forward to watching all of that during the course of the next 2 seasons and am happy that we have that long of a journey for the characters to really delve into it and explore.

Edited by teevee100, Dec 29, 2011 @ 4:25 PM.

marioninnyc

marioninnyc

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 5:12 PM

This may more of a hope than a hunch, but I really hope the writers figure out a clever way to avoid a boring conversation wherein Dex explains EVERYTHING to a pissed off Deb. I hope they establish the extent of what she knows but do this quickly, for example through a scene of them talking with voice over giving us the gist, or some kind of cutting, so that we only get Deb's reactions and not Dexter's explanation.

While we're speculating I also speculate that when the ITK hand is found Masuka will get fired/demoted and Louis will become a full-time member of MMPD forensics. And that he will be Robin to Dexter's batman.

Louis as "Robin" maybe, or maybe something darker, but I don't think they'd fire Masuka. He provides a lot of comic relief (although frankly I'm not a fan.)

teevee100

teevee100

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 5:41 PM

lol I would rather the complete opposite. I just figure this is going to set up the foundation for everything between them moving forward so why not take some time and really flesh it out so us viewers know what is what. Glossing over everything as quickly as possibly, perhaps with Dexter's self narration as you mention, would be rather anti-climactic and very unsatisfying to me. You really have no desire to witness the discussion itself taking place and Deb's journey into the rabbit hole? I'd be pissed if the skipped over that.

smithgirl

smithgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 8:00 PM

I'm also wondering how they will stretch this along - I agree Deb will probably get "tranquilized". Remember one of the last things Dexter said was he believed in animal tranquilizers. Then Deb wakes up, maybe in her car, waiting for Dexter, not sure if she dreamed whatever she saw, then will have 2 seasons to work through her confusion/suspicions. With everything that had happened to her, including the therapy; dreaming a similar scenario to old Brian would be "believable".

As someone said the time line of the next 2 seasons could be short - except what will they do with Harrison? If the next season picks up at the church, the twins playing Harrison will be almost a year older, unless they get new toddler actors.

Dexter really needs to let Deb find the body for Travis - how many serial killers have shown up in Miami and then disappear as unsolved cases. Throw the poor department a bone! I wish he had thrown Travis off the building, they get a body, he gets the kill.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 2:03 PM

I'm also wondering how they will stretch this along - I agree Deb will probably get "tranquilized". Remember one of the last things Dexter said was he believed in animal tranquilizers. Then Deb wakes up, maybe in her car, waiting for Dexter, not sure if she dreamed whatever she saw, then will have 2 seasons to work through her confusion/suspicions.

Oh, god. I could easily, easily picture them doing this. I would hate it, but it seems like just the sort of trick they would pull.

cbo0485

cbo0485

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 31, 2011 @ 7:30 AM

I really hope she doesn't get tranquilized, or hit by a car, or struck with amnesia from the hand of the writers. I have a feeling she will run out of the church. Maybe go to Dexter's apartment because she's confused. Dexter could follow her, then when they both get to his apartment, the ITK's souvenir hand is sitting there. That would spark all her old memories, and it'd be definitive then. In the mean time, Dexter left Travis there, then the new "Doakes", Mike, goes to the church for some follow-up or something, and finds Travis' dead body.

Then everyone would think that Doakes either didn't die, and that was someone else back in in that swamp from a long time ago, or that they got the wrong guy. If they believed they got the wrong guy, we could very well see a LOT of tension between LaGuerta and the Morgans, b/c Doakes did mention Dexter to LaGuerta(plus the kyle butler thing). This could turn into the Morgan siblings vs LaGuerta/Mike.

Could make for an interesting 2 seasons.

And in the meantime of all this, we have Deb trying to deal with her new found knowledge of Dexter, but she is too busy trying to cover for him and herself, that she doesn't deal with it as much. Just kind of lets it go, and we see little things here and there.

Edited by cbo0485, Dec 31, 2011 @ 7:31 AM.

cbo0485

cbo0485

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 1, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

Ya i agree. In another thread someone suggested devoting an entire episode to Dexter and Deb just discussing things and used the analogy of some Spiderman comic book when sombody (forget who) found out that Peter Parker was Spiderman and the entire comic was just the two of them talking about it in his apartment.

I would love an episode like this. It's what I've been waiting for. A good heart to heart between those two, with dexter being his true self to Deb. No covers, no lies, just a good discussion between those two.

Pippin

Pippin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

I was wondering if Deb might be somewhat conflicted with Dexter's actions. He saved her life from the Icetruck killer. Lundy did die, but if she finds out that Dexter killed the man who killed both Lundy and Rita, might Deb might be inclined to give him a pass?

I had what I though was a grand epiphany when I was half-asleep this morning about this season. However, like all dream epiphanies, upon examination in the cold hard light of day it wasn't so grand. But here goes: Considering the attempts to drag in religion this season, I wondered if Dexter's sloppiness (the ambulance drivers, etc.), was this supposed to be Dexter believing himself to be like God, infallible and invincible? I'm not sure that I credit this gang of writers with doing this deliberately, but I'll put the idea out there.

BroughtBackIn

BroughtBackIn

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

I really don't think that Deb is going automatically come to a conclusion that Dexter is a Serial Killer. I think Dex is going to probably explain the Travis murder away by telling her some half-truths about the entire Travis/Gellar story. He will probably tell her about Harrison being kidnapped, and he just "snapped" and killed him.

I also think he might say that Travis was already strapped to the table when he got to the church. (Oooh, no, that would mean premeditation, wouldn't it?) **Okay, scratch this idea**

I definitely do not think that they are going to have a long, drawn out Deb/Dex convo where he explains everything from birth to present, as that would be borrrring as hell to me. I have a hunch that the last 2 seasons will show Deb struggling with (and ignoring) her instincts about Dexter being who she really believes he is deep down. Although Deb has grown emotionally over the past couple of years, her feelings will always override her instincts, especially when it comes to someone she loves. (as a brother, lover, etc..)

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

Maybe I love this show too much/want it to be better than it was this past season, but I really really don't think they are going to sidestep the revelation to Deb about who he is (a serial killer, not just the killer of Travis the crazy fool). I agree a convo about everything from birth until that moment could be boring. But we have seen especially early on with the flashbacks to their childhood how this secret that Dexter has has impacted Deb's life on a very deep level. I do not see how they can't talk about this. I don't see how a person with a brain, let alone a smart person like Deb, could not see the very obvious similarity in the crime scene w Travis to her experience w the ITK, who she knows is Dexter's biological brother... so I think some sort of conversation has to happen. And I think at this point, caught red-handed as it were, Dexter is not going to feed her half truths or that she would be tolerant of hearing them-- and she would be able to tell if he were lying. I see the next season or two playing out as how Deb deals with this knowledge, not her path to discovering every single detail, although I doubt every detail will be downloaded simultaneously. I also wonder if finding out the secret means that Deb may not be on the show until it ends... I know she is so so hugely important to the show, but now that she knows her character is definitely in greater danger (not from Dexter-- from the writers).

As its been longer since the season ended I have to say I am not as opposed to the Deb in luuuuv plot as I once was and while I disagree that it's been there all along, I can see why its there now and think its possible this could be an interesting direction for the show to explore that further. I think i was taking out my frustration about the crap Gellar/Travis plotline on the Deb's revelation plotline. I think I now see that the latter has legs and could go somewhere interesting, although it will still creep me out, at the end of the day that is what this show should do to an extent right?

Edited by LevitateMe, Feb 16, 2012 @ 12:20 PM.

rocknrollchic

rocknrollchic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

As its been longer since the season ended I have to say I am not as opposed to the Deb in luuuuv plot as I once was and while I disagree that it's been there all along, I can see why its there now and think its possible this could be an interesting direction for the show to explore that further. I think i was taking out my frustration about the crap Gellar/Travis plotline on the Deb's revelation plotline. I think I now see that the latter has legs and could go somewhere interesting, although it will still creep me out, at the end of the day that is what this show should do to an extent right?

I agree. I feel like we're in the minority, shipping Deb and Dex but I can see it going somewhere. Deb might not be much longer for the series now that she knows. An interesting way for her to go out might to have her go back and forth between her love for Dexter and her sense of duty to turn him in. Maybe she goes to turn him in and gets killed somehow. Or maybe she loves him too much to do that so she leaves in order to protect him. Maybe that is why the "in love with her brother" plot line was introduced, to give Deb an out on turning in Dexter.

teevee100

teevee100

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 4:22 AM

Rocknrollchick - (Don't know how to quote) - Remember towards the end of season 5 when they find a male and female footprint outside the house of the banker/rapists who Dex and Luman kill. After that Deb has proof about her theory that victim #13 and a male in her life that is helping her are killing the rapists. She has a conversation with Dexter about it at her desk and says that love is the only word you could use to describe that sort of devotion and that it was romantic. Season 5 was significant for Deb's character development in laying the foundation for her being able to possibly rationalize Dexter's actions once she finds out about his dark passenger.

Dougrhon

Dougrhon

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 19, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

The slogan for the season is "He knows. She knows." I take this to mean that Dexter knows about Deb's feelings and Deb knows what Dexter is. I haven't read the books but my understanding is Deb finds out about him in the first book. I'm not sure how they deal with it going forward and of course the books are quite different from the show. They don't need an entire episode to have Dexter "explain" it to Deb and I doubt they would do that. Dexter through his narration can bring the audience up to speed. Deb is going to have a considerable amount of trouble assimilating this info one way or the other. Dexter began to get into trouble in season 4 when he began to go after killers the police were actively investigating. Wasn't his original MO to go after killers who got away with it and were off the radar screen? In season 4 and 5 he had his reasons. In season 4 he foolishly revealed himself to Mitchell. At that point he had to kill Trinity before the police could catch him to protect himself. In season 5 Lumen witnessed him in action. He chose not to kill her since she didn't fit the code as a true innocent. At that point he was ready to see her off to Minnesota but when he realized she was hell bent on revenge he had no choice but to help her or risk her getting caught and exposing him. In season six there was NO reason for him to go after DDK. None. And now he is screwed.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

I think that Hannah is going to be Deb's first "kill". Dexter is going to refuse to do it, so Deb does it, and after it's done, Dexter will help to cover up Deb's involvement & put the blame on someone else.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

I don't think Deb will kill Hannah herself. As it is, she's already being torn apart merely by lying to people (like LaGuerta) so as to cover up for Dexter, as shown by her "I'm going to Hell" comment, so I doubt murder will be on her agenda. I think she might threaten Dexter that either he does it..or else. She has a lot to hold over his head.
Can't wait to see how it actually will go down.

Lecky

Lecky

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

I want Hannah to go after Deb, forcing Dexter to kill Hannah. I don't like this Hannah one bit.

SydNC

SydNC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

Last episode of the season, LaGuerta is going to go up to Matthews. She is going to show him evidence that Dexter Morgan was the Bay Harbor Butcher and that he is still killing people. Matthews will quietly look at her, then simply say "Maria, he does the job we can't. Let this go." implying Matthews knew all along about Harry and Dexter.

Tandemonium

Tandemonium

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:36 AM

So I'm finally going to commit to Matthews knowing about Dexter all-along. The reinstatement/pension ploy is just a ruse to find out what Laguerta knows and his real motivation is ultimate revenge. I think he's trying to suss out whether to just derail her investigation and move things in place for a character assassination or both and also a literal character assassination.

He and actual Harry were close...best friends, maybe? Our house recently rewatched Season 2 to refresh ourselves on the details of the BHB case (mostly pertaining to the boat and Laguerta's current investigation) and there's an episode where it flashes back to Deb's birthday and the Morgan fam is celebrating only to be interrupted by Matthews stopping by to apologize to Harry about some perp who was set free because of the flawed justice system followed by Harry losing it and throwing his beer bottle at a kitchen cabinet. Season 2 also had Dexter finding out about Harry's death actually being a suicide from Matthews resulting in Dex blaming himself as it occurred a few (3?) days after Harry witnessed the aftermath of Dexter's first kill and the viewer gets to see the horror and remorse on Real!Harry's face.

Yeah, Matthews is an ass and yeah, he and Laguerta play "the game", but I think that beyond that aspect and in some twisted and all kinds of grey way, he cares about justice and thinks of himself as a true and blue good cop, and a loyal one to his fellow cops, illustrated in his relationship and respect of Harry as well as his disdain for the ladder-climber that is Laguerta. I can see Harry sharing his and Dexter's secret or at the very least Matthews figuring it out himself in the past and keeping it all a secret in order to both honor Harry and protect Dexter. This whole chummy-chum nonsense with helping Laguerta feels more like protecting his best friend's kid. He was all light-hearted mean-spirited with Laguerta when she first showed up, but after he saw her list, he shut up and immediately went for the racism to shut down the conversation followed by wheels-turning in his head on how to course-correct his universe. It would be something if it turns out that Matthews was initially against The Code and changed his mind once the results started showing, while Harry changed his mind the other way. Laguerta better watch it. Matthews is going to use her totally off-the-books investigation to somehow make her Doakes' accomplice, make himself Supercop and then kill her to eliminate the only threat to unravelling everything.

Edited by Tandemonium, Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:36 AM.

myriadphalanx

myriadphalanx

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 4:59 AM

I really like that scenario. So, would that make Matthews the 'big bad' for next season? As in, once he's captain again, he lets it be known to Dexter (and probably Deb) that he knows about Dexter's killings and starts to blackmail them or something?

foley13579

foley13579

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

Either they are setting up the end of Dexter with this investigation or Matthews is going to help him. I can't see Dexter getting out of this and getting away by killing both Laguerta and Matthews. But then again this is Dexter and one must suspend reality when watching.

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

Ok another wild ass theory that (MIGHT) help the show redeem itself, or could turn it into beyond an absurd parody of itself-- so Matthews is getting back in the mix. There has to be a reason for this as others have said. But what if it isn't just so he can screw LaGuerta over (which of course he will if possible), or that it turns out he's known about Dexter all along (very interesting and plausible possibility), OR.... what if Matthews is Deb's father?

I mean, there has been all this questioning of is Dexter really Harry's kid, even though they said DNA confirmed his dad was the random guy who they had the Slow Ride house party w ITK @ the house he left Dexter in S1. Then they've introduced this whole Deb loves Dexter thing. They've established Harry was kind of a manwhore. They've established Matthews is power hungry and willing to do whatever. So.... while Harry was out whoring, is there any possibility that Matthews and Doris(?) hooked it up? We know Doris was Deb's mom, presumably others witnessed her pregnant w Deb and delivering, but do we really know that Harry is Deb's dad?

If so- then did Matthews really promote Deb to screw LaGuerta, or has he been watching out for his own daughter all along? That would mean Deb isn't alone in the world except for Dexter. Maybe that would change her perspective on a lot of things, especially Harry and possibly Dexter.

Just throwing it out there!

Edited by LevitateMe, Nov 26, 2012 @ 1:49 PM.

aprilgirl

aprilgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Ooh! I like that LevitateMe!

marioninnyc

marioninnyc

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

I'm feeling a scenario similar to Tandemonium's. We've had several hints that Matthews knows. On the one hand I want them to go there because they've built toward it, but I'm also hoping the writers can pull out some surprise beyond, Matthews knows and takes down (by murder, framing, or career destroying) LaGuerta before she can do any do any damage.

marioninnyc

marioninnyc

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 2:41 AM

There was nothing in the 12/9 episode that definitively proved that Matthews doesn't know. He seemed to playing LaGuerta and could have been warning Dexter rather than interrogating him. I'm wondering if that's the case, and LaG gets closer, if Matthews might not be the one to kill her (once his pension is straightened out of course).

SunnyBeBe

SunnyBeBe

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

I do think Matthews was warning Dexter and not trying to get information. He tried to steer LaGuerta away from Dexter. For some reason he does not want to go there, even if Dex is guilty. What's the connection, besides his friendship with Dexter's dad? He's not so stupid that he would want a killer to escape justice. Hmmm....

I'm wondering if LaGuerta is going to be able to put together enough solid evidence, that does not have chain of custody or contamination issues to convict Dexter. A sharp lawyer may cause Dexter to walk. If he walks, after having so much publicity of him being a serial killer, then what if he is stalked by guy just like himself? So Dexter endes up on table with a serial killer hovering over him? Just speculating how they may eventually send him off.

Edited by SunnyBeBe, Dec 10, 2012 @ 11:21 AM.

kellycantread

kellycantread

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

I'm digging all these possible scenarios. I never thought of Matthews being possibly related to Deb.

However, Matthews always has that kind of smirk on his face that he knows more than he lets on, which is why I am more likely to believe that he knows about Dexter's hobby.

Lastly, I think there is a small possibility that Hanna didn't actually poison Deb's water with anti-depressants and that it was some weird mistake Debra made.

sarahkohl

sarahkohl

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

does anyone else think batista is going to die? it is cliche, but the cop on the verge of retirement dieing seems like it could be in store. i don't think quinn is going to walk away from killing george with no consequences and batista was able to buy the restaurant with the help of quinn's dirty money!

andygator

andygator

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 3:24 AM

My out in left field theory:

-theme: Dex/LaGuerta cat and mouse
-wild card: Matthews, his character is back for a reason

I think the arrest in the preview is actually real. Everyone wants to say "Oh, it's a dream," but I think it's an Estrada related arrest. I think Estrada winds up dead and Dexter is arrested due to motive/sighting at shipyard by LaGuerta. LaGuerta knows Dexter plants things, and he's smart enough to get rid of evidence. Best way to build a BHB case is get him behind bars, even if only for 24 hours or whatever the legal limit is without a charge. Search his house, car, boat before anything can be destroyed or hidden.

Dexter will mull confessing to an Estrada murder. If it's not a BHB style killing, could be his best defense. Jury would be sympathetic to a man getting revenge on his mom's killer.

Matthews will get his revenge on LaGuerta. Show can conveniently reveal Matthews has had a PI on her, or had her phone line tapped or some kind of surveillance. Matthews fires LaGuerta, ending her hopes to clear Doakes. Dex's fear of being caught as BHB is over, and the Estrada charge gets dropped (lack of evidence, alibi comes through, etc).

No idea on the Hannah/Deb situation.

Season 8: LaGuerta gets a book deal, writes a bestseller pinning Dex as BHB. S8 focuses on Deb/Dex as social pariahs

SunnyBeBe

SunnyBeBe

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

Amusing speculation here. I'm wondering if Doakes is dead. Wasn't that his voice we heard in the previews? And, with this so called "plot hole" finale, that would fit the bill.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

Bringing this over from the Episode thread:

As for what Hannah could tell the cops about Dexter, what can she really tell them? She's never seen him murder anyone. She has zero evidence Dexter kills people. She only has his word, and the weird little sex scene in the snow place, and I'm not sure that's enough for a conviction, especially considering her credibility as a witness. Now, it'd point the cops at Dexter and then they could investigate him, but Hannah alone can't do anything to Dexter.

Well, it would be he said/she said about him being a murderer, but if LaGuerta were to get wind of it it could be trouble for Dex. One thing she could perhaps get him on is falsifying a blood report. He knew she killed that woman when she was 15 and he lied about it in his official report. Hell, she has immunity and it could cause people to look into evidence issues on cases Dex was involved in. Like, "Oh, how convenient that this pen showed up in evidence for the man who dropped dead in your apartment, Mr. Morgan."

Speaking of Sal . . . I've been waiting for his book stuff/info on Dex and Hannah to resurface somehow, but it hasn't. He has to have a copy of his work somewhere. I mean, am I really supposed to believe a writer doesn't have back up files of their work on a zip drive or something?

Here's my wild spec about Matthews because I too thing he's is back for a reason. Maybe LaGuerta is killed by Dex and/or Deb and that forces Matthews to look into Dexter for Season 8. Lord, knows this show likes to repeat itself....

Found this on Twitter. Hee!

Edited by hardy har, Dec 12, 2012 @ 7:00 PM.