• Please log in to reply

256 replies to this topic

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

Despite the great lead-in from DWTS, the ratings dropped:

7.73 million viewers, 2.4/6 adults 18-49

That also might account for people dropping as TB went on. They didn't turn the channel after Dancing but did once they got an eyeful of Emily and the Bs. I'm guessing the time slot will move to the earlier one once Dancing has its finale.

Agreed. I think the same thing happened this week. What has to be worrying Fleiss is the huge drop over the course of the two hours. 2 million viewers bailed on the show and it had lost 4 points in the demo by the end. People didn't even bother to stick around to see who got kicked off. The ratings aren't horrible for a summer show, but this is not a good sign.

Maybe next week's return to the usual time slot will help.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 6:43 AM

The combination of airing on Memorial Day and no lead-in from Dancing with the Stars took its toll on the ratings:

5.73 million viewers, 1.8/5 adults 18-49

Ouch.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

6.72 million viewers, 2.2/6 adults 18-49

So, still down from the lackluster premiere and, so far, worse than any bachelor/ette except DeAnna. Either Ben's shitty season turned off a bunch of viewers, or the formula has just grown too stale even for the die-hards.

Edited by HughKenrick, Jun 5, 2012 @ 11:01 AM.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

I think the time slot against the fun America's Got Talent and Master Chef is a tough one now that DWTS is no longer its lead in. The entire family can watch those other shows, especially AGT. And even though I am a TB die hard, I think TB formula is pretty stale with year after year of failures and bad press about the "winners." And so many people there "for the wrong reason." Heh.

Is it still a money-maker for the network in spite of the lower ratings? There are plenty of commercials, that's for sure, which allow me to watch AGT in between segments.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

Is it still a money-maker for the network in spite of the lower ratings? There are plenty of commercials, that's for sure, which allow me to watch AGT in between segments.

Yes, I think it's still a money-maker, especially in the summer when so much of TV is repeats. I think it also still pulls in a decent portion of the female demos, though it doesn't dominate in that respect like it used to.

One thing I wonder about is whether the show is more expensive to produce these days, since they seem to be trying to make up for lack of interesting content by doing more traveling.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

7.33 million viewers, 2.3/7 adults 18-49

Much better. Still below the premiere, but there may be hope for this season, after all?

Edited by HughKenrick, Jun 12, 2012 @ 10:43 AM.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

I don't have cable so my tv choice Monday night was either the hockey play-off game or TB. I'm guessing (most) men watched hockey while (most) women escaped to another room and tuned in TB. Maybe next week there will be a better choice on another channel?

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

7.15 million viewers, 2.3/7 adults 18-49

Roughly the same as last week, but better in that it was competing against America's Got Talent and didn't drop. Also, the ratings increased every half hour.

All in all, I'd say the show is doing just okay. Ashley and Ali were doing better at this point in their seasons, but Emily is now doing better than both DeAnna and Jillian.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

6.96 million viewers, 2.3/7 adults 18-49

Slightly down from last week against airings of the U.S. Olympic trials and America's Got Talent.

Emily's fallen back again behind everyone but DeAnna, and even DeAnna was doing better in the adult demos by this point. Averages for the first seven episodes:
Emily.....7.12, 2.3/6
Ashley...7.97, 2.5/7
Ali.........8.56, 2.7/8
Jillian.....7.21, 2.5/7
DeAnna..6.67, 2.3/7

I think next week will be interesting. Usually the hometown dates see a ratings jump, but we'll probably see a dip in viewers across all TV shows for the week, due to the Fourth of July holiday.

Whatever the case, Fleiss needs to find his rabbit and his hat and start pulling. Otherwise, this season could end up a ratings failure.

Edited by HughKenrick, Jun 26, 2012 @ 11:52 AM.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

7.40 million viewers, 2.5/8 adults 18-49

Not fantastic, but pretty good, especially considering that it's a holiday week and that it's up against both the Olympic Trials and America's Got Talent.

While I'm not an Emily fan by any stretch, I do think she's more fun to watch than Ashley, Jillian, and Ali. And I think her Barbie Doll-ness fits the whole fantasy premise of the show better than the girl-next-door types that they've been casting lately. Emily's guys didn't seem to be uninterested in her the way the guys have been in past seasons.

Head's up... The schedule has changed so the finale airs on a Sunday instead of a Monday. Here's the schedule:
Monday, 7/9, overnight dates
Monday, 7/16, Men Tell All
Sunday, 7/22, Two-hour episode (Final Rose Ceremony) followed by a LIVE airing of After the Final Rose

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

8.01 million viewers, 2.5/7 adults 18-49

So-so, but I expected better for the fantasy date episode.

I do think there's enough uncertainty about the final two that we'll see a decent jump in the ratings for the final rose ceremony. Not sure that can save the season, though.

Edited by HughKenrick, Jul 10, 2012 @ 2:55 PM.

ClaireO

ClaireO

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 7:41 AM

The finale is on a Sunday, too.

The producers need to take a break and retool, much like they're doing with The Biggest Loser on NBC. Ratings for The Bach/ette seem to have fallen slowly but steadily over the last few seasons. Is the show in trouble as a summer series? I don't believe so. But for the winter/spring season? Could be.

Hugh, you seem to be our ratings guru. What are your (or anyone else's) thoughts and observations on how Bach Pad does in terms of ratings?

Cynic that I am, I still think there's potential for this show's concept. Bach Pad is a bit too Big Brother-ish for my tastes, but it strikes me as a step in the right direction. I'm wondering if another short series could pilot test potential changes to the larger franchise.

I guess my meta-question is how to get the ratings back up to a more respectable level. I have ideas, but this is the ratings thread.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

Ratings for The Bach/ette seem to have fallen slowly but steadily over the last few seasons. Is the show in trouble as a summer series? I don't believe so. But for the winter/spring season? Could be.

That's what I'm thinking, too. As a summer series, it still does well enough to pull in the advertisers. But Ben's season was such a stinker that ABC had real trouble competing with the other networks. Considering that the show is 2 hours long, it's taking up a lot of prime real estate on the winter schedule...too much to justify more seasons like Ben's.

I do think there's some potential that finally having a non-white Bachelor this time around will give the ratings a needed kick, but I'm not holding out too much hope. I found Roberto to be kind of dull during Ali's season, so he'd have to pull an Emily and show more personality this time around if he's going to carry the show.

As far as Bachelor Pad goes, its ratings are a little lower than The Bachelorette, but still decent enough for a summer show to attract the advertisers. Last season, it averaged 6.65 million viewers and 2.2/6 in the adult demo. I'm a little ashamed to say it, but I'm glad it did well enough to get renewed. I've actually been enjoying Bachelor Pad more than The Bachelor/ette lately. Maybe it's because the prize is cash instead of a fake/forced "love" match, yet there's still a possibility that relationships will develop. It's funny, but both Bachelor Pad and Love in the Wild seem to be generating more serious and longer-lasting relationships than The Bachelor/ette.

That makes me wonder if the answer to your question on how to improve the Bachelor/ette ratings might lie in having the couples put in situations where they have to compete or perform. I'm not talking about stupid rapelling and zip-lining dates that are more about conquering fear than anything else, but actual stressful situations that have the potential to bring out the worst in people and that may require serious perseverence and teamwork to get through. It seems like Fleiss has sort-of tried this a few times, but he just hasn't got it right. Maybe the problem is that he thinks it's not romantic enough and that the viewers don't want to watch episodes dominated by challenges. Then again, the viewers apparently don't want episodes dominated by boring voiceovers of platitudes and cliches any more, so maybe he should give it another try?

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

7.23 million viewers, 2.3/7 adults 18-49

By this point in their respective seasons, Jillian, Ali, and Ashley ALL had better overall season average ratings than Emily.

In addition, though the Tell All episodes are generally low points of the season, Emily's Men Tell All was the lowest, except for Ashley's...and Ashley's was probably only lower because hers aired on a Sunday instead of a Monday, which was unusual.

So, Emily's season is doing worse than previous seasons (excluding DeAnna, of course).

I find this really interesting, especially since this season's ending wasn't as definitively spoiled (nor spoiled as early) as the others. I thought maybe the relative uncertainty about the ending would heighten the excitement, but apparently it hasn't.

I've always assumed that ratings drop due to some combination of uninteresting Bachelor/ettes, repeat Bachelor/ettes, excessive spoilers, and a tired formula. But since Emily's been a reasonably interesting Bachelorette (just my opinion, yes) and the ending wasn't definitively spoiled early on, I have to conclude that people are just plain bored with the show. Fleiss's formula isn't cutting it any more.

Edited by HughKenrick, Jul 17, 2012 @ 2:18 PM.

Makemelaugh

Makemelaugh

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Hugh, I really appreciate your posting the ratings about this show. I saw somewhere that last week's regular episode won the ratings for the whole night, which seems good to me.

I just saw something in this morning's paper that ratings for the four big networks are all down by a little more than 9 percent across the board--just thought that was interesting and maybe if factored into this season's ratings, then Emily isn't doing too poorly?

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

I have to conclude that people are just plain bored with the show. Fleiss's formula isn't cutting it any more.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. In spite of Chris going on and on (and on and on and on) last night about Emily being the bestest bachelorette evah!!!, the most beloved, the best season, yada yada yada, and two fairly interesting guys as finalists, America still doesn't care. Personally I find Emily dim and boring but those that are watching the show seem to like her just fine so it must be the format. When the viewers can predict what's going to happen and what the participants are going to say before it even happens, it's time to admit it's gone stale and needs a shakeup. It needs some new blood - enough with the losers and leftovers. I like the traveling to different places around the world but they still do the same dumb things and say the same dumb predictable things no matter where they are.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

I just saw something in this morning's paper that ratings for the four big networks are all down by a little more than 9 percent across the board--just thought that was interesting and maybe if factored into this season's ratings, then Emily isn't doing too poorly?

Definitely TV ratings are down in general, so it's not unexpected that The Bachelor/ette would drop right along with them. What concerns me, though, is not just the numbers drop, but the show's performance relative to other shows on the schedule. This show used to consistently beat, and beat handily, nearly everything else it was up against. But these days, even tired old Hell's Kitchen beats it more often than not in the all-important adult demo. And occasionally winning a night against repeats and dogs is, in my opinion, only good for a given value of "winning."

Personally, I record The Bachelorette and watch Hell's Kitchen, and it's not because Hell's Kitchen is must-see TV for me. It's because I know that The Bachelorette is going to throw egregious amounts of filler at me, and that it will be a snoozefest for 90% of its two hours. I'd rather record it than watch it, so I can fast forward through the majority of the bullshit. That kind of TV watching doesn't make for good ratings, and people wouldn't watch that way if Fleiss were actually making an interesting, faster-paced, one-hour show instead of this bloated, cliche-filled, coma-inducing, two-hour waste of time.

So, I guess the long and short of it is that I do think Emily's ratings are bad, even in the context of all ratings being down across the board. However, I'm beginning to think that it's the producers shortcomings that are the problem, not the Bachelor/ettes themselves. Believe me, I don't want to think that way, because that means I have to give Ben more credit...and I can't stand him.

When the viewers can predict what's going to happen and what the participants are going to say before it even happens, it's time to admit it's gone stale and needs a shakeup. It needs some new blood - enough with the losers and leftovers. I like the traveling to different places around the world but they still do the same dumb things and say the same dumb predictable things no matter where they are.

Exactly. This stubborn adherence to re-treads and cliched voiceovers and repetetive talking heads is just baffling to me. Their excuse used to be, "well, it's formulaic, but it's working so we're not going to mess with it." That excuse no longer flies.

It's also become so awkward to watch the show, because you can practically hear the producers prompting them to talk about their feelings and to focus the conversation on romance and relationships. What we end up with is a stilted and forced "conversation" that was basically conducted under duress. Maybe it really does happen with some people, but I've never been on a date with someone I just met where we spend the whole time talking about our feelings for one another and where our relationship is going and what happened in our past relationships. It's just excruciating to watch.

ClaireO

ClaireO

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

HughKendrick, I really hope TPTB read that. It's the best analysis of the falling ratings that I've seen. Bravo!

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

In the July 20 issue of EW, The Bachelorette is tied for No. 11 on its list of shows watched last week. It is behind three episodes of America's Got Talent, four episodes of the U.S. Olympic Trials, 60 Minutes, NCIS and Big Bang Theory. (It's tied with another Olympic Trials show.) So, technically, TB-ette could be said to be the No. 6 show for the week if AGT and Olympics were condensed into one show each. I think that week was the HTD episode.

The week previous, TB was ranked No. 9.

ETA: I just got the July 27 EW. TB-ette is tied for No. 8 with 60 Minutes. It's behind two AGTs, two Big Bangs, NCIS, and (tie) Person of Interest/Macy's 4th of July Fireworks. Condense the multi shows and it's No. 6.

I'm not sure what weeks these rankings speak for if a fireworks show was the same week. So scratch my HTD theory above.

Edited by SaberTail, Jul 21, 2012 @ 3:15 PM.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

Why do finales have to be on Sunday. I initially decided to follow this show because it's on Mondays and I had nothing else I liked on that night. Sunday, on the other hand, is my must see TV night with four other things I want to watch. Why do they do this?

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

I agree JudyObscure. I get together with a friend every Monday and we usually watch the show together, I like to watch Breaking Bad on Sunday nights. I wish they would air the 'After The Final Rose' another night, 3 hours of the program in one night is a bit much.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

Final Rose Ceremony - 8.58 million viewers, 3.0/9 adults 18-49
After the Final Rose - 9.12 million viewers, 3.2/9 adults 18-49
Overall Season Average - 7.50 million viewers, 2.4/7 adults 18-49

The good:
- A nice jump in the adult demo for the final rose ceremony
- Unusually good numbers for ATFR (maybe due to all of Fleiss's bullshit hype about shocking revelations that never materialized?)

The not so good:
- Emily's overall season average was only better than DeAnna's, and only in number of viewers. DeAnna actually beat her in the demo.
- The FRC usually gets a couple million more viewers than the premiere, but Emily's so-so premiere was 8.25 million versus her FRC of 8.58...I expected much better

So, it looks like Ali still holds the crown for best bachelorette ratings (sorry, I don't have the numbers for seasons before DeAnna's, but they can probably be found by reading back in this thread far enough if anyone's feeling sleuthy). Here are the overall season averages of the most recent Bachelorettes:
DeAnna.... 7.35 million, 2.6/7
Jillian....... 7.64 million, 2.6/8
Ali........... 9.27 million, 3.0/9
Ashley..... 7.97 million, 2.4/7
Emily....... 7.50 million, 2.4/7

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bachelor Pad season premiere

4.68 million viewers, 1.5/4 adults 18-49

Pretty low. Too bad, because I enoyed it. It's amazing how much faster those two hours went than the interminable two hours of The Bachelor/ette. I hope the ratings pick up as it goes on.

P.S. Mods...I wasn't sure if this should be in the general Bachelor Pad thread or here, so I'll just keep posting here until I'm told otherwise.

Edited by HughKenrick, Jul 24, 2012 @ 12:01 PM.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

Ratings for Bachelor Pad 7/30/12:

3.48 million viewers, 1.1/3 adults 18-49

As bad as that sounds, the Olympics are just dominating everything else, and Bachelor Pad was in second place for much of the night. I expected worse.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

Bachelor Pad ratings for Monday 8/6/12:

3.38 million viewers, 1.1/3 adults 18-49

The Olympics will be done before the next episode airs. I wonder if Bachelor Pad will recover or if people will have just forgotten about it?

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 14, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

Bachelor Pad ratings for Monday 8/13/12:

4.06 million viewers, 1.3/4 adults 18-49

Not a great recovery from the Olympics.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Bachelor Pad ratings for Monday 8/20/12:

4.78 million viewers, 1.6/5 adults 18-49

Better than the premiere and moving in the right direction.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 7:40 AM

Bachelor Pad ratings for Monday 8/27/12:

4.37 million viewers, 1.3/4 adults 18-49

Pretty bad drop in the demo from last week, especially considering the only real competition was Hotel Hell in the first hour and Hell's Kitchen in the second hour.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

Bachelor Pad ratings for Monday 9/3/12:

4.44 million viewers, 1.4/4 adults 18-49

Not bad considering the holiday.

Edited by HughKenrick, Sep 4, 2012 @ 11:53 AM.

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

If anything, it's Bachelor Pad that has become too formulaic. Though I'm a regular watcher of the TB/B'ette, Bachelor Pad makes my eyes bleed. While the regular franchise only has one repeat participant, BP tends to have multiple repeat participants. How many times can Erica Rose or Michael S show up and do or be something different, for example?

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 11, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

Bachelor Pad ratings for the Season Finale, Monday 9/10/12:

4.52 million viewers, 1.3/3 adults 18-49

Meh for a finale. However, it was up against the season premiere of The Voice as well as the season finales of Hell's Kitchen and Masterchef, so it could have been worse.