Ratings and Scheduling: Big Numbers

• Please log in to reply

116 replies to this topic

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 5:44 PM

Yeah, a lame title for a thread. But, I really want to ask this question and needed to go to the right place.

I'm hoping someone more clever than I am can think of a better title...

At any rate, I was wondering if anyone knew how this season of TBL is doing compared to the last season.

Torop

Torop

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 6:23 PM

I don't have exact numbers but I read an article last week that the season premiere this season was 10% higher than the premiere last season. That was good enough of a boost that NBC has ordered a 5th season of TBL.

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 10:03 PM

I like to think it's a combination of AS and Jillian.

Or maybe just Jillian.

TapDiva

TapDiva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 12:39 PM

Jillian got me to come back, that's for sure. I actually lost interest last season without her.

I've also heard it's doing well. I hope they start tightening up the editing, though, because I think people are going to get bored with hour-long, extremely repetitive weigh-ins each week.

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 10:59 PM

They really need to cut it down to an hour IMO. I would never watch it live for the repetition alone.

ljp

ljp

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2007 @ 8:00 PM

I'd really like to see this cut back to an hour. Has it always been longer than an hour? This is the first season I've watched, so I have no idea. But I can't give up two tivo slots for this. Making it run over means I can't Tivo it, because at 9 pm I need both Tivo slots for other shows.

Have the ratings gone down since the rest of the TV season has started? I can't be the only person having this problem and giving up the show because of it.

Tigger 7

Tigger 7

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2007 @ 5:45 PM

Anyone know what time the show airs tonight? They keep extending it to 2 hours or 1-1/2 hours, so I wasn't sure. (I don't have a TV guide to check, and I don't want to miss it while watching DWTS.)

jwd

jwd

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 9, 2007 @ 6:18 PM

Anyone know what time the show airs tonight?

8:30 pm est.

Edited by jwd, Oct 9, 2007 @ 6:23 PM.

Mixxster

Mixxster

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 10, 2007 @ 10:14 AM

I'd really like to see this cut back to an hour. Has it always been longer than an hour?

No. In previous seasons, it was always a one-hour show. I think they use the third team as a reason/excuse to extend it to 90 minutes. I wouldn't mind it so much if the additional time was spent on the workouts. Unfortunately, as lots and lots of viewers complain about, far too much time is wasted on the weigh-ins (removing shirts, walking up, the fake scale bouncing around, etc.) and replaying what you just saw before the commercial break.

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2007 @ 8:39 PM

Aargh! My stupid local listings showed tonight's (11/6/07) episode as starting at 8:30--they made me miss the first half hour, the bastahds! (Though I'm kind of getting the impression that I haven't missed much.)

Geekgurl01

Geekgurl01

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 7:04 PM

Now that the TV writers are on strike, I wonder if we'll see a Spring Biggest Loser challenge since presumably the show doesn't require writers. However, I know nothing about the hosting part of the show - that could be "off the cuff." I enjoy the show, but have to agree that Jillian is much more entertaining than Kim.

exquisitliltart

exquisitliltart

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 11:47 AM

Jillian said on her radio show that they are already on week 3 or 4 for BL 5 and I think it will start airing in January-- but I don't have a source other than Jillian's radio show.

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 12, 2007 @ 11:38 PM

Geekgurl01, reality shows do require writers, but they aren't part of the Writers Guild, so "The Biggest Loser" writers aren't part of the strike.

Geekgurl01

Geekgurl01

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2007 @ 12:13 AM

Thanx TWoP Mars, after I wrote it I thought perhaps I should have rephrased it to say not WGA writers. And from everything I've read so far, reality shows aren't involved in the strike. So, since BL 5 is already shooting, does anyone think it will be shown this spring? Or will we have to wait until fall as usual?

Arizonaguy

Arizonaguy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 4:25 PM

5. There are two more epi's and then the final, so that takes us through about the middle of December. Then, in January, the new season starts already? Fastest turnaround time ever?! Could also lead to potential BL fan-burnout though.

Biggest Loser is normally on once during the year, isn't it? It normally starts in August or September. Or are they doing a Spring show now?

CRFTony

CRFTony

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 9:42 PM

I just read on studio briefing that NBC has greenlit a midseason version of TBL so it must be official. Of course, if the strike ends tomorrow things could change, but that's looking unlikely.

Torop

Torop

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 9:47 PM

I just read on studio briefing that NBC has greenlit a midseason version of TBL so it must be official. Of course, if the strike ends tomorrow things could change, but that's looking unlikely.

According the Jillian's radio show, they are currently in the middle of filming the next season, so I would say it is a go regardless of the strike ending.

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 10:59 PM

I keep seeing promos for "The Biggest Loser: Couples" during episodes of this season. Is that the midseason version you're referring to?

Torop

Torop

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 11:05 PM

I don't know if those are like the previous one-offs or an actual full season. I do know that the season they are currently filming casted for pairs (not necessarily couples).

albertj

albertj

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2007 @ 4:20 PM

The "couples" edition appears to be official now, with teams of 2 people with a "pre-existing relationship" ala The Amazing Race. It's debuting just 2 weeks after this season's finale (due to writer's strike?).

Also made official that Kim is out, with no reason given (which is interesting given the multiple two-player team concept which would lend itself quite easily to multiple trainers).

applepie77

applepie77

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2007 @ 10:19 AM

Anyone know if any of the cable nets will be having TBL marathon this weekend/into the New Year? IIRC, last year, Game Show Network had one. I love to watch while I put away my holiday. Thanks

Hawkeye720

Hawkeye720

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2007 @ 11:18 AM

It's on all day on New Year's Day on Bravo. I believe they are showing Season 2.

Quizzical1

Quizzical1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2008 @ 9:18 PM

Does anyone know if they are airing the Jan 1 season premiere again on another cable channel? I've been looking, but haven't seen it listed.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 11:05 AM

Premiere episode: 10.4 million.

Ixious

Ixious

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 26, 2008 @ 2:38 PM

Does anyone have a definitive answer about what date the finale is scheduled for?

Thanks.

Anfa

Anfa

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 26, 2008 @ 3:29 PM

That's a question I have myself. As of Valentine's Day, they were still filming! Since we just saw the Christmas episode, and there are eight contestants left, that leaves me a tad confused as to whether or not they are going to do the "losing-at-home" portion of the show, in which case I think there would have to be a delay between the last regular episode and the finale, or whether they're just going to run it to the end and see who loses the most on the ranch. It's the most shocking scheduling mystery in Biggest Loser history! ;-)

the boxer

the boxer

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2009 @ 8:23 PM

The coming attractions said the show is at 9 PM next week. My DVR lists it as being from 8 - 10. Does anyone know what the deal is ? Is it only 1 hour ?

swingkidpt

swingkidpt

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 12:04 AM

According to American Idol, the president is having a speech at 8 next Tuesday. Maybe it's from 9-11. Or maybe it's only an hour.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 12:19 AM

Or, it could be split into two one hour episodes showing on Tuesday, then Wednesday. That was done a few weeks ago as a result of a different Presidential speech.

Quizzical1

Quizzical1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:41 AM

I'm going to bet on it starting at 9.