Morgan Grimes: Go Home, Morgan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

84 replies to this topic

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 4:52 PM

Not sure about everyone else, but Morgan was one of my favourite characters in the opening episode. His interactions with Ellie in particular were priceless, as was his delight and being allowed to drive the company car.

He has the makings of a great sidekick.

Beanster

Beanster

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 5:17 PM

Aw man, I was just about to make this thread!

But I would have called it Koala Man. Because that was seriously when I started loving him.

rowanceleste

rowanceleste

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 6:34 PM

I love Morgan. I also love how he's made himself into the red-headed step child in Chuck's family, even though he's not related. Of course, even as a pseudo-step-sibling...he's still ogling Chuck's sister! Hee. Do you think Chuck has just known him since he worked at Buy More or maybe from childhood? Some how I'm not picturing Morgan at Stanford with Chuck...

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 6:39 PM

Hard to say. He seemed to know Bryce, so he might have known Chuck back then. Of course, he might just know who Bryce was because Chuck told the ex-girlfriend story so much.

He didn't seem to know about Chuck and Bryce creating their own version of that computer game either.

flickchick85

flickchick85

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 3:11 PM

I'm afraid I can't jump onto the Morgan love train yet. He was the one thing that really annoyed me about the Pilot. It just seemed like there were two styles of humor - The Show's humor and Morgan's humor. I find the rest of the show's comedy to be really charming and often hilarious - Captain Awesome, Intro of Bryce (listing all of the things he did in college, then cutting to him demonstrating ALL of those things at once), Jeff's creepy winks, the awkwardness when they walk in on Ninja!Sarah stealing the computer - but then when Morgan's comedy enters the picture, it just seems so...big. It's like he's in a different show, and I just found him to be loud and obnoxious. All of the Morgan bits seemed forced to me, like they were trying a bit too hard.

I understand them wanting to have a bigger personality for Chuck to bounce off of, but I kinda wish they'd given that job to someone who was more of an antagonist to Chuck (like Harry) or at least someone that Chuck found annoying as well. The way it is now, I feel like since Chuck seems to like and identify with Morgan, that I'm supposed to like and identify with Morgan, and I just can't. Chuck reminds me so much of Jim Halpert, and based on what little we've seen of Jim's friends (his roomate, Pam), he likes to hang out with fairly grounded people and would probably put up with guys like Morgan (if Morgan were in The Office), but he wouldn't really be friends with guys like Morgan. If they were gonna give Chuck a "funnier" best friend, I would've preferred a much more low-key option, like the character Tyler Labine plays in Reaper (for the record, I didn't enjoy that show as much as Chuck, but he and Morgan basically served the EXACT same purpose in story and character dynamics, and I just found Reaper's "best friend" character much more enjoyable).

But clearly, a lot of people do like Morgan, and he didn't ruin my enjoyment of the show, so they probably shouldn't change a thing. Chances are that he'll probably grow on me, but right now, he just irks me a little bit.

Edited by flickchick85, Sep 28, 2007 @ 3:14 PM.

litex

litex

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 4:03 PM

Is his name actually Pace? If so, thats awesome, because he totally looks like Charlie Pace from Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, both of them have that tiny little creepy gnome thing going on.

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 4:09 PM

That's the name I got from TV.com.

krishnaa

krishnaa

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 4:38 PM

Wikipedia says Grimes.

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:55 PM

Wikipedia is a lousy source most of the time.

TV.com is USUALLY a bit better. They claim "Pace".

IMDB.com chickens out and only says "Morgan".

But I think we have to assume that nbc.com/Chuck/about/bios/ is most likely to have the best checked answer. They say, very definitely that its "Grimes". So Wikipedia got it right this time and TV.com wrong.

It's possible that it got changed between the Pilot and the full production cycle of the show.

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2007 @ 9:41 AM

I like that the other characters tend to find Morgan as irritating as the viewers do. That sells the character for me. (That's one of the reasons I dropped Smallville, none of the characters notice how irritatingly self-involved Lana is.)

rowanceleste

rowanceleste

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2007 @ 1:40 PM

I like that the other characters tend to find Morgan as irritating as the viewers do. That sells the character for me.

I agree! I thought it was great how Morgan was trying to motivate Chuck's team and they were all basically rolling their eyes at him, until he made them remember that Harry Teng would not be the kind of assistant manager they wanted. Hee.

krishnaa

krishnaa

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 10, 2007 @ 8:24 PM

I like that the other characters tend to find Morgan as irritating as the viewers do. That sells the character for me.

There are some bits that I absolutely love of his. First his throwaway lines ("Oh, here they are on the bottom shelf. The Ramones.") and hisjoking around with Chuck (the bull fighting with the Large Mart tablecloth, the Sorry World promo).

I hope we definitely see more of the latter, though.

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2007 @ 9:40 AM

Face it. A good 40-50% of the funny lines go to Morgan. If they ditched him, many of the best "zing" comedy moments would be gone.

Morgan, Awesome, and Casey are the comic relief. Sarah, Ellie and Chuck are the straight-men/women, except for jokes which have only to do with interactions between Chuck and Sarah, where obviously the source of the humor is a balance between Chuck's awkwardness and Sarah's protective spy behavior.

Kaspangle

Kaspangle

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 11:39 AM

To me, Morgan isn't comic relief. Morgan isn't funny. I don't love to be annoyed by him. I just want to change the channel whenever he appears.

miniglik

miniglik

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 2:57 PM

I don't find him funny either, nor do I enjoy being annoyed by him. Every once in awhile I'm kind of okay with him, but for the most part I really don't like the character. It's not the actor's fault or anything, he's just got a very annoying personality (unlike Captain Awesome or John Casey, or even the tertiary Nerd Herders, who I find funny).

Jubi

Jubi

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 3:12 PM

Is Morgan homeless or what?

I'm sure it's just a running gag and will never actually be addressed in the show, but it does kind of come off like he's homeless. Even aside from his constant willingness to follow Chuck home or sneak into his room when he's not there (which is also stalkerish, yes), I thought it was really bizarre that he was at Buy More after hours eating dinner party leftovers in the break room. I know that was partly for comedic effect, but he really does give off the impression of someone who doesn't have a home and has to try to find other places to sleep/hang out for the night... maybe he just lives with his mom still and he's desperate to get away from her?

As for Morgan as a character, I rarely find him amusing on his own, but I love watching Chuck be a snarky bitch to him.

Edited by Jubi, Oct 17, 2007 @ 3:12 PM.

quazimodo

quazimodo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 3:43 PM

I personally love Morgan and find him funny. He might be a little stalkerish and creepy sometimes but there is something both sad and endearing about him which makes me like him. Chuck seems like his only real friend and I can understand why he is so clingy.

Edited by quazimodo, Oct 17, 2007 @ 3:44 PM.

tjl

tjl

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 6:06 PM

Is Morgan homeless or what?

I'm pretty sure he's got his own place. In the pilot he mentions playing Call of Duty (I think) to Chuck. I just think he doesn't have a life so he kind of gloms on to Chuck and his life.

I'm not a fan of Morgan mainly because of his stalker-like nature. That said, I do think he's good for the show at the Buy More. I like most of his scenes there, especially the training of Casey sequence.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 10:00 PM

I wish Morgan actually had some technical geek leanings. He's a bit of a gamer geek, but one of the rare type that apparently doesn't have any technical skills whatsoever...

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 11:42 PM

Morgan is more of a "Loser" figure than a "Geek".

Or perhaps he matches the older pre-technological definition of Geek more than the current one.

DungeonDragon18

DungeonDragon18

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 18, 2007 @ 1:17 PM

Am I the only person here who really, honestly loves Morgan? I think he's sweet, funny, and probably a fun guy to hang out with (well, as long as you're cool with video game marathons and RPGs, which I am). He actually reminds me of a lot of my friends.

PotatoEgal

PotatoEgal

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2007 @ 2:50 PM

Am I the only person here who really, honestly loves Morgan?

No, you're not. I love him, too (the montage in Tango where he was locked in the storage cage had me giggling for days). I know a lot of Morgans, so I think that may be one of the reassons I don't find him as irritating as others do.

Danny Snow

Danny Snow

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2007 @ 2:04 AM

I certainly like the guy. I think he's funny and, at times, endearing. Everyone geek needs their geekier wingman. Chuck is really one of the few shows where I like pretty much every major character.

rowanceleste

rowanceleste

Stalker

Posted Oct 20, 2007 @ 10:54 PM

Actually, Morgan surprisingly doesn't annoy me at all and think it's because (as others have mentioned) the characters on the show also find him annoying, so you know its intentional. It also could be I'm perverse or I'm used to people annoying me on purpose, because I actually find him amusing. Plus, I like that Morgan knows he's the third wheel, etc.

He's definitely also a childhood friend, hence knowing about the original Peaches when Chuck didn't, so makes it easier to understand why he's considered part of 'Team Bartowski' as he's probably been the red-headed step-child of the family since he was five and Chuck invited him home to play. (Little did he know that Morgan would pretty much never leave after that point!) Hee. I'd actually love some flashbacks since Morgan was probably hitting on Ellie, since he was five. LOL.

Edited by rowanceleste, Oct 20, 2007 @ 10:55 PM.

petpluto22

petpluto22

Stalker

Posted Oct 21, 2007 @ 9:22 AM

Actually, Morgan surprisingly doesn't annoy me at all and think it's because (as others have mentioned) the characters on the show also find him annoying, so you know its intentional. It also could be I'm perverse or I'm used to people annoying me on purpose, because I actually find him amusing. Plus, I like that Morgan knows he's the third wheel, etc.

I agree. I wouldn't say that I love Morgan, but I'm more than a little fond of the guy. He's annoying, the show knows he's annoy, the other characters find him annoying, and even he seems to recognize the fact that he's annoying. I also find his competition with Sarah for Chuck's attention/affection to be completely realistic, and handled really well by the show. Of course Morgan would be afraid of Chuck becoming more and more attached to Sarah. Chuck seems to be the only person who really likes/puts up with him, and Morgan needs that! As any human being would. Sarah's this beautiful threat to him, someone who can fulfill Chuck's needs in a way that knowing about Peaches (1 & 2) never could. For someone who has found the "perfect" family for himself, a family that will take him in and not lock the "Morgan door", the possibility of being left out in the cold would be a bit worrisome. And hey, I've seen friends get possessive over other friends with less provocation -though in a less creepy manner.

But perhaps what I love most about Morgan -aside from the excellent lines he gets- is that he really would do anything for Chuck. He would stay in a room full of old computers that creep him out; he would help "train" Casey; he would try to take on a ninja stealing Chuck's computer. He tries so hard and always seems to fail, and there's just something endearing about that for me.

rowanceleste

rowanceleste

Stalker

Posted Oct 21, 2007 @ 10:19 AM

But perhaps what I love most about Morgan -aside from the excellent lines he gets- is that he really would do anything for Chuck. He would stay in a room full of old computers that creep him out; he would help "train" Casey; he would try to take on a ninja stealing Chuck's computer. He tries so hard and always seems to fail, and there's just something endearing about that for me.

Ditto. I also think that's why Ellie puts up with him. Because at the end of the day, Morgan also loves Chuck and just wants him to be happy and he doesn't try to hold him back. He'll even try and take on Casey in order to try and give Chuck and Sarah 'alone time' in the screening room! Hee.

Danny Snow

Danny Snow

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2007 @ 6:33 PM

I also like that you never see Morgan drooling over Sarah or showing any interest to someone obviously so attractive. As shown by Ellie and Karina he's more than willing to go after people way out of his league, and in Ellie's case even blatantly try to steal another guy's girlfriend, but as Sarah is Chuck's girlfriend, I doubt the idea would even occur to him. I think he's a good friend.

GandalftheFunky

GandalftheFunky

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2007 @ 6:18 PM

There are some endearing things about Morgan, I suppose. I do like that the guy goes the extra mile (or six) in his friendship with Chuck, but dude, give the guy some space! The whole "took you at your word" scene got to me. I mean, for crying out loud, man! As much as Chuck obviously cares for Morgan, you can tell that their relationship wears on him at times too (i.e. Morgan stopping him three times at the door of Chuck's room and Chuck not even turning around the third time).

I like SOME of his character arc, but I really hope the kid has some major redeeming moment or I'm afraid he's going to become very heavy baggage for Chuck as the storyline gains in complexity.

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2007 @ 8:02 PM

A lot of great Morgan moments this week. They did a hell of a lot more with him this time.

CaliforniaSun

CaliforniaSun

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2007 @ 9:06 PM

I DESPISE Morgan. I actually can't stand the character, and not in a love to hate kind of way. I just hate him. He's so annoying and I don't find it amusing. Don't get me wrong, I love this show a lot. I think it's terrific. The only weak aspect, IMO, is Morgan. Everytime he's on screen I just want him gone as quick as possible so I can go back to enjoying the show.