(TMZ) Thirty Mile Zone: Yes, It's Now A TV Show, Too

• Please log in to reply

305 replies to this topic

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

Irish Guy was literally discovered. He was bagging groceries at Trader Joe's (I believe) downstairs from the TMZ offices, when he was plucked to join the staff with apparently no experience.

I've only been into TMZ the show since February of last year.'

Sure, I've been on their e-mail list (I'm a member of the media) since 2005 or 2006, but a year ago I started wathching TMZ Live as background noise as I work during the day. Then I started watching Dax Chat. I watch/listen to it every day. I actually pay more attention to those shows than the actual show itself, which I kind of find tedious sometimes.

In the past year, I've actually seen a lot of staffers leave. But there will always be that core. Dax, who's pushing 30 and becoming a dad, has been with Harvey from the get-go since graduating from college. I don't see Shevonne leaving, or that blonde girl.

The show looks like a lot of fun. But keep in mind they get in at 6 am, and they're there throughout the afternoon.

If you ever watch the Dax Chat, there's this guy who sometimes hosts it, Matt Cole Weiss, whom you might recognize from the show who comes across as very cynical. Of course, he probably should be. Since he's an actual former movie director who now writes for the show.

Of course, the show is located right at the start of the Sunset Strip, where all the action is (I went to high school and elementary school a few blocks away from TMZ HQ, so I'm familiar with the area). Last week, the Hollywood Reporter reported that TMZ is moving to an office park in Marina Del Rey.

http://www.hollywood...l-estate-294682

Edited by nowandlater, Mar 1, 2012 @ 2:43 PM.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

Are the TMZ West Hollywood offices on the 2nd floor in the semi circular complex where there is a PinkBerry's, vegan Veggie Grill fast food joint at 8000 Sunset blvd?

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 1:09 AM

Are the TMZ West Hollywood offices on the 2nd floor in the semi circular complex where there is a PinkBerry's, vegan Veggie Grill fast food joint at 8000 Sunset blvd?

Yup. I can't believe it's located in a mall-ish place.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

Marina del Rey? That's some hellish 405 traffic at some times of the day. I assume they are just going to use it as a sort of command center, then, and send people out from various parts of the city. Which, they probably do already, but then some of those camera people seem to stop in and chat on the show. That seems pretty far out of the way.

Hightide

Hightide

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 12:10 AM

Perhaps the best part of the show lately is how everyone seems to call Harvey out on his varying prejudices, especially his borderline racism which came into the light big time on tonight's show. Regular people? Wow.

olyphanti

olyphanti

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 8:31 AM

From DaxChat; Lindsay the brunette that sits at the back makes an appearance.

http://www.ustream.t...corded/21224602

meanbutnice

meanbutnice

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

Perhaps the best part of the show lately is how everyone seems to call Harvey out on his varying prejudices, especially his borderline racism which came into the light big time on tonight's show. Regular people? Wow.

I'm finally at the point where Harvey's racism makes me cringe, and I think it's time to say sayonara to TMZ because of it. I'm also starting to question how Charles can put up with it. And the fact that only black staff members are seemingly allowed to comment on black celebs. Ugh....the whole thing is disgusting me now. The fat lard-ass Mike makes me want to hurt somebody (that dude is so fucking gross); and what happened to Nina Parker? I'm REALLY curious about that...I'm also really curious why that one girl from Canada (who was there for like 1 week) left so quickly.

I think the first staffer to write a tell all about that place will make a fortune.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

I'm finally at the point where Harvey's racism makes me cringe, and I think it's time to say sayonara to TMZ because of it. I'm also starting to question how Charles can put up with it. And the fact that only black staff members are seemingly allowed to comment on black celebs. Ugh....the whole thing is disgusting me now. The fat lard-ass Mike makes me want to hurt somebody (that dude is so fucking gross); and what happened to Nina Parker? I'm REALLY curious about that...I'm also really curious why that one girl from Canada (who was there for like 1 week) left so quickly.

I think the first staffer to write a tell all about that place will make a fortune.

Nina left around Labor Day last year. She now works for The Insider. (She didn't leave TMZ to go to the Insider, just to move on.) She's still close to Dax, and she recently made the journey to Orange County to his baby shower.

You can follow her on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/#!/MzGossipGirl

I don't mind Harvey's "racism," but I watch TMZ Live to get me through the work day, so I'm exposed to way too much Harvey every week (about 7 1/2 hours -- yikes).

At least he's talking honestly.

I'm not a fan of the new black girl, who has said she was there when Nina was there.

The only thing that bugs me about Harvey, on TMZ Live, is when he brings up politics and Obama. It's pretty clear he's a Republican who isn't an Obama fan, but he couches his hate in celebrity bullshit

meanbutnice

meanbutnice

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 4:36 AM

Nina left around Labor Day last year. She now works for The Insider. (She didn't leave TMZ to go to the Insider, just to move on.)

I don't mind Harvey's "racism," but I watch TMZ Live to get me through the work day, so I'm exposed to way too much Harvey every week (about 7 1/2 hours -- yikes).

Thanks for the info about Nina! Do you know what happened to Juliette Powell -- the Canadian woman who was there for a hot minute?

As for Harvey's racism, to each his own, but it really started to bother me lately. In my opinion, it's blatant. And while some may give him props for "being honest" -- racism is one thing I can't just put aside or ignore.

oceandeep

oceandeep

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

I agree with you meanbutnice. It's been hard to stop watching the show, but Harvey's unconcealed contempt for black celebs and Pres. Obama has turned me off. I wish Dax would take over as the 'ringmaster' but Harvey looks to be in charge until he drops dead or if a barbell drops on his head. Charles, I don't know what his story is, but being Harvey's best(and only) black friend must have some perks, maybe that's why he puts up with Harvey's open racism.

meanbutnice

meanbutnice

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 6:37 AM

Oceandeep, thanks for responding!

What bugs me most about Harvey is his Erving Goffman presentation; We all know he's a bigoted sell-out, but we just can't quit 'em. Like, it kinda makes me want to get all "Rosa Parks" up on their butts and have a "Quit TMZ" day -- ala "National Quit Smoking day!" Or a SOPA day.....just to, ya know, remind Harvey who is ACTUALLY boss -- the users.

Edited by meanbutnice, Jun 13, 2012 @ 6:37 AM.

Hal9000

Hal9000

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

Charles frequently looks pissed off with Harvey.

What is the name of the guy who often wears LSU shirts and loves The Notebook? He appears to be a guide on the tour bus.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Charles frequently looks pissed off with Harvey.

I don't think he's really pissed. It's more of a "Here we go again" feeling.

What is the name of the guy who often wears LSU shirts and loves The Notebook? He appears to be a guide on the tour bus.

Van Lathan. Yes, he's a tour guide.

https://twitter.com/vanlathan

RealityTivo

RealityTivo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

Just because someone doesn't like Obama, doesn't make him a racist. Plenty of people had disdain for Bush and expressed it and no one batted an eye. But the minute someone doesn't kiss Obama's ass, they're racist and beyond the pale.

You can't tell if someone is racist based on an edited 30 minute show.

I do agree with the comment that the blacks on the show are seemingly the only ones who can have an opinion on black celebrities.

Here's Van's LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin....than/26/368/65a

Seems like he works for a production company. Really seems like that's a journalistic conflict of interest.

Today was a perfect example of the black chick acting like she had exclusivity to talking about the Game/40 Glocc fight. Evan said something about 40 Glocc being jumped and the black chick immediately chastised Evan for saying he was jumped and that just one person cannot jump another person--it needs to be a group. Both Harvey and Evan said that wasn't true and the black chick just said "well, in the urban community...." I immediately though of this thread when that happened.

Edited by RealityTivo, Jul 9, 2012 @ 7:26 AM.

posgirl

posgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

The thing I absolutely cannot stand is how Harvey always tries to be so hip and cool and he is not. He comes across as pathetic and uncool. He has nothing in common with the much younger staff, yet he tries to fit it.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

The thing I absolutely cannot stand is how Harvey always tries to be so hip and cool and he is not. He comes across as pathetic and uncool. He has nothing in common with the much younger staff, yet he tries to fit it.

Isn't that the fun of the show? He knows he looks dumb being a 60-something guy trying to fit in with his 20-something staff. They know it's dumb, and they make fun of him because of it.

Harvey has admitted he doesn't watch much reality TV, preferring the History channel instead. He gets home at 9 and wakes up at 2 am to work out and go to work.

BessieLimpet

BessieLimpet

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

I can not stand the bitchy blonde girl that seems to hate every attractive woman in Hollywood. The bitch is always slouching in her seat texting.

She brings nothing at all to the show. Sit up straight and get off the damn phone idiot.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

Is bitchy blonde pregnant ? She appears to be packing on the pounds. Noticed a girl in the back that looks like her - maybe her sister ?

BessieLimpet

BessieLimpet

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2012 @ 3:22 AM

I wondered if slouchy, bitchy blonde was pregnant too. I also hate the blonde guy Dax? I think that's his name. He always has a stupid grin on his face as he pitches the stupidest stories. He's not nearly as cute as he thinks he is.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

I also hate the blonde guy Dax? I think that's his name. He always has a stupid grin on his face as he pitches the stupidest stories. He's not nearly as cute as he thinks he is.

Really? I've been watching his Dax Chat (http://www.ustream.tv/tmzdaxchat) for the past year and a half, and he's the nicest, down-to-earth guy, whom everybody in the office seems to like. He doesn't think he's cute. He thinks he's gained a lot of weight working long hours for Harvey. But he totally isn't smug. Check out the Dax Chat sometime.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

Really Harvey ?

Seagulls at the sea ?

He looked and sounded ridicously stupid when he asked about the gulls being at the beach. Could the self tanning fumes be harmfull ?

PurposelessPlay

PurposelessPlay

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 8:09 PM

HATE the new office/studio setup that started today.

persiaa

persiaa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 7:08 PM

PurposelessPlay

HATE the new office/studio setup that started today.

Amen to that. It's hard to watch. Wednesday's show was so dark; not my TV. Other stations were fine, including the live shopping channels.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 4:04 PM

Not so sure that I like the TMZ LIVE shows.  Too many skyped employees and feels that there is no continuity or a fluid flow but rathy patchy and thrown together like a quilt.

Dezdemona

Dezdemona

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2013 @ 6:11 PM

I hated the new office at first, but now they seem to gather in a group for the broadcast so it feels more like the old set. 

Edited by Dezdemona, Jun 1, 2013 @ 6:21 PM.

noregrets

noregrets

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 10:09 PM

Hey, TMZ, you're hypocrisy is showing. Tonight they did a segment showing the racist girls on Big Brother talking with black accents, but they opened the show doing a story on Honey Boo Boo and her family talking like illiterate hillbillies.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

I watched a couple of nights ago for the first time in a long time and noticed Max the Surfer Dude was gone.  I wonder if he had an on-air farewell, Max was the most recognizable face on TMZ besides Harvey.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

Yes, he tweeted he left the show last Sept.

Here's a link:

http://rumorfix.com/...ges-leaves-tmz/

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2013 @ 2:00 PM

Yes, he tweeted he left the show last Sept.

Here's a link:

http://rumorfix.com/...ges-leaves-tmz/

Thanks for the info.  It feels a bit like the end of an era for TMZ.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2013 @ 7:37 PM

I wish that blonde bitch would leave.  Also the ditzy, stupid, long-haired brunette who sits beside her.