Californication

• Please log in to reply

1276 replies to this topic

Taxman

Taxman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 11:12 AM

There are about a thousand deep, narrative and structural problems with this show, but the key one, IMHO, is that TPTB want you to care whether or not Hank and Karen get/remain together, and I just don't.  They're both slimy, awful, irresponsible characters who can't seem to leave the past in the past.  And that was signaled from the very first season, when Hank appeared to have achieved a growth moment and gotten over Karen getting married to someone else, and then Karen bolted from the wedding ceremony before saying "I do."  Since then, the show has just been the Eternal Return, with Hank mooning over Karen, showing up at her house and feeding her cheesy lines about how wild he is for her, then having sex with anyone who looks at him crosswise.  I mean honestly, who cares what happens to him or to her?

Sherry67

Sherry67

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2013 @ 1:16 PM

I had a hard time finding this thread!

Is this next season (set for early 2014) the final season?  I sort of had a feeling that it would be, based on the end of the previous season.  I assumed that S7 was going to be one long stretch of, 'Can Karen get over herself long enough to realize that she and Hank have to be together once and for all' nonsense.  

I suspect that Heather Graham being thrown into the mix as someone important from Hank's past means that this will be one last test of the Hank-Karen bond before the series ends (if it does end).  Heather Graham's character probably won't be a crazy stalker, or a groupie, or a stripper, or anyone that might not be taken seriously in the big picture.  She will probably be a viable, serious candidate for Hank's love -- and that is why she will be a genuine threat to Hank and Karen as a couple.  

This is one of those situations in which I would be sad to see a show I have watched from the beginning go away, but at the same time I am getting tired of some of the characters and the plots.  I have always loved David Duchovny in almost anything he's done, and I think that no one else could have played Hank as well as he has, but if all that's happening in the show is that Hank is pining away for Karen and spewing out witty one-liners I get bored.  I feel like the writers need to mix it up and keep Hank and Karen out of each other's lives for a while.

I don't think I ever cared about the Hank-Karen relationship as much as the writers have wanted me to.  By now I am just tired of them as a pair.  Karen annoys me singularly.  They annoy me together.  Becca annoys me too.

I just want something different to happen.  My favorite season of this show so far has been S3, because it was so crazy with all of the different Hank girlfriends, Kathleen Turner and Rick Springfield, etc.  Even seasons 1 and 2 were a bit edgier and darker in places.  Since S3 ended I think everything has been mostly about Hank and Karen, star-crossed lovers, and I just don't care.  For once I would like to see Hank get together with a woman he actually, truly falls for -- someone who actually makes him forget about Karen for 2 seconds, or at least stop mooning over her.  I don't think any of his relationships with women are ever very believable because he never really stops thinking about Karen!  

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 11:55 PM

That was a totally believable and juicy twist. I didn't think this shit show could still do that, and I'm guardedly excited.

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 8:36 AM

I stopped watching this show after the 3rd season but if this coming season will be the last, I think I'll watch it. And I'll go back and watch the episodes with Callum Rennie (Lew Ashby) that occurred after S3 because Callum Rennie.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 2:54 PM

Is this the last season?

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 10:41 PM

Yes, this is the final season.

I'm not sure how I feel about this new kid. On the one hand, it's plausible since Hank is a man whore. On the other hand, it seems like a lame storyline.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Apr 13, 2014 @ 10:44 PM.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 10:53 PM

It felt really predictable from the moment the kid showed up.  It also feels like a bit of a retcon in some ways.  SO far as I can remember the show has always established that when Hank is actually with Karen he's super monogamous; he only goes all manwhore when they're broken up (i.e. he's never cheated on her).  And a lot of folks have criticized the show for this (at least fans, I've no idea if critics have mentioned this) because Karen is always chewing him out for shit he hasn't actually done.  Since the kid seems to be the same age as Becca (thereabouts), this feels like the writers going "see Karen was right all along" in a way that doesn't actually mesh with anything we've known before.  I mean I doubt they're responding that directly to fan criticism but I can't help but think of it that way.

All of that said, I liked the actor playing the kid and I do like the idea of Hank having to confront a long lost child he didn't know he had since he's so promiscuous when he and Karen are off again.  I just kind of wish it had been a younger kid to fit better with what I thought was the timeline of Hank and Karen's relationship.  Maybe one who was about the same age as Becca when the show started?  I'm not sure; I'm blanking on a lot of the early details.  So maybe this all fits better than I think it does because of something I can't remember. 

Edited by TheLabRat, Apr 13, 2014 @ 10:54 PM.

Mulbag

Mulbag

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 11:56 PM

TheLabRat, I haven't seen this show in years, I just check up on it because of DD, he and Karen weren't officially dating, right? I mean when she got pregnant. Weren't they just fooling around, but were super into one another?

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 12:28 AM

Not sure.  If so that would be a little better.  And like I said I do like the idea of Hank having to adjust to another kid he didn't know about. 

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 5:58 AM

I thought Hank and Karen were living together when she got pregnant with Becca. I could be totally misremembering that detail though because the other part of my brain thinks that they were just dating/having lots of sex/not really monogamous or exclusively dating when she got pregnant. Honestly, this isn't one of the shows I obsess over and remember every minute detail about so I have no idea which one of my ideas is actually correct.

It's also possible that this kid is a few years older or younger than Becca and he was just lying about being a college student so he could get an interview with Hank.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Apr 14, 2014 @ 6:01 AM.

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 11:50 AM

Christuhfuh!  So fun to see Michael Imperioli now playing a writer/producer/whatever of a bad TV show.  It's like the natural arc of his Sopranos character, if such a thing were possible.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 8:24 PM

I just saw him playing a polygamous chef a few weeks ago on Rake! This tv producer does seem more in line with Christofuh.

missy jo

missy jo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 12:36 AM

I loved this show, and Hank's character (for entertainment value, not as a role model, LOL) but at the end of the last season, I thought it was the series finale. There's nowhere else for these characters to go, IMO.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 10:16 AM

I was pleased to see at the start of the show that Hank told Karen, "we need to figure this out once and for all." Yes, you should. Please do. I'm also pleased that the show is being honest about Hank shitting all over everyone he works with and it's making it hard for him to get a job. Though I think he was actually sincere in his conversation with Christofuh. I laughed when he told Hank to sit down and wait because they'rd be a job opening up in 45 seconds.

I find it hard to believe Hank would be just one of the writers in the writers' room on a tv show. As ass as he's been, he's still been pretty successful when he writes. Head writer I could see. Given that he's so bad with everyone, it seems more plausible to me that he'd find more jobs as a script doctor. He doesn't have to deal with anyone, and everyone knows he can actually write. His talent has never been up for debate on the show.

It felt really predictable from the moment the kid showed up.  It also feels like a bit of a retcon in some ways.  SO far as I can remember the show has always established that when Hank is actually with Karen he's super monogamous; he only goes all manwhore when they're broken up (i.e. he's never cheated on her).  And a lot of folks have criticized the show for this (at least fans, I've no idea if critics have mentioned this) because Karen is always chewing him out for shit he hasn't actually done.  Since the kid seems to be the same age as Becca (thereabouts), this feels like the writers going "see Karen was right all along" in a way that doesn't actually mesh with anything we've known before.  I mean I doubt they're responding that directly to fan criticism but I can't help but think of it that way.

It is a retcon and it's kind of a lame storyline. Karen's POV of Hank isn't nor has it been reality since the show started. We already had a flashback recently where when they were in NYC, Hank stayed faithful to Karen even though that other agent or whomever was throwing herself at him. 

Hank's been pretty up front when it comes to sex partners even though he's not the greatest guy. A lot of stuff that's happened really hasn't been his fault either. I don't have a problem with men or women having a lot of sex as long as everyone knows the deal. This seems a little much to me because I find it hard to believe that he'd be this careless, as someone (Hank) who has had a lot of sex partners, the risk of disease alone, he'd want to use condoms. 

I don't know this new kid's age; if he predates Becca and Karen, then I guess, ok, Hank was young. Which, many of us aren't careful when we're young. Still, at the end of the episode, he clearly was stunned, so it's not like the mother confronted Hank that she was pregnant.

I don't see the need for this storyline when resolving Karen and "growing up" seems sufficient. 

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 8:05 PM

OK I feel better about the kid thing now that the timeline has been clarified.  But holy hell that kid is annoying.  My hat is off to the actor playing him and to Hank for trying to deal with him anyway.

ncw12371

ncw12371

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 1:41 PM

There are about a thousand deep, narrative and structural problems with this show, but the key one, IMHO, is that TPTB want you to care whether or not Hank and Karen get/remain together, and I just don't.  They're both slimy, awful, irresponsible characters who can't seem to leave the past in the past.  And that was signaled from the very first season, when Hank appeared to have achieved a growth moment and gotten over Karen getting married to someone else, and then Karen bolted from the wedding ceremony before saying "I do."  Since then, the show has just been the Eternal Return, with Hank mooning over Karen, showing up at her house and feeding her cheesy lines about how wild he is for her, then having sex with anyone who looks at him crosswise.  I mean honestly, who cares what happens to him or to her?

Agreed, don't care anymore, sick of Hank's smug dialogue, sick of Karen never being able to cut the cord. Glad this is the last season, this show has jumped the shark.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 2:41 PM

I don't think TPTB really know what they wanted with this show. Are we supposed to see Karen as the angel that Hank does? Because she's clearly not. Nor is Hank as bad as Karen perceives him to be. Or is that the point? I think the show should have ended when Hank got in his car and drove off back to New York and put everything in LA (including Karen) behind him. 

It's not like Hank ever needed LA to be successful, since he did publish acclaimed novels beforehand. And really, when Chrisofuh (we have to call him this now) was saying how Hank doesn't work well with others, I was like, "why do you need to? You have legit talent and can write books instead." He already wrote Fucking and Punching during the show run, so it's not like he's washed up. I'm sure Charlie could get an advance from *some* publisher willing to get the next Hank Moody novel. And he wrote the Lew book too. If he really needs money, he could easily be a script doctor.

It seems like since the Lew season, they've just made things complicated for the sake of being complicated. 

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I'm just playing out the string on the series now and not really invested in much. I suppose I'd like to see Becca turn out ok, but they kind of taken away a dimension to her too. I'm certainly not interested in the inevitable Karen-holier-than-thou when she finds out Hank has another kid. Which, I am calling total BS if this happened while he was together with Karen, since the show went out of its way to establish that he's always been monogamous to her.