Californication

• Please log in to reply

1276 replies to this topic

Glark

Glark

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 6:20 PM

TWoP is no longer covering the show but talk continues right here. The old forums have been archived in the Read-Only area.

lynch

lynch

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 6:43 PM

Isn't this show a comedy?

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 6:58 PM

Wow, didn't realize TWoP can have a quick hook like network programmers.

Or maybe the drop off in gratuitous nudity no longer compelled coverage?

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 7:34 PM

Yikes...that was pretty quick...although there was very little posting going on there. The Showtime show that is screaming to be recapped here is Brotherhood...okay I'll get off my soap box now.

MissAnthropy20

MissAnthropy20

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 7:59 PM

Hmmm, why PH so soon? Only had 6 episodes so far.. Sure, the show isn't absolutely fantastic but I think they're still finding themselves and may get a lot better in the next couple of weeks.

If they ditch Mia.

Omar G

Omar G

Network Executive

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 9:40 PM

Here's hoping.

Not that I'll be watching...

Illyria B

Illyria B

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 9:45 PM

Sure, the show isn't absolutely fantastic but I think they're still finding themselves and may get a lot better in the next couple of weeks.

I like the show a lot already, maybe it's not on the level of fantastic, but it's really good - and they also still finding themselves and can only get even better.

luavul

luavul

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 7:57 AM

This show has really grown on me and I find that I'm enjoying it much more than Weeds at this point.

I've told several people to watch but to give it three or four episodes before deciding about it.

Oh, and I like Mia. And I find her relationship with Hank amusing and weirdly touching.

CrashEdit

CrashEdit

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 9:21 AM

Wish it hadn't been pulled from the main forums, but whatever...

Way to go Karen with the smackdown of pervy English teacher...and normally I'm a big Becca fan, but I think she was being a little childish about Karen and Hank leaving to rescue Mia. Hank wasn't going for Mia, he was going to protect Karen from the coke-fueled creep. I realize Becca is a child, but if she's going to be portrayed as wise beyond her years, she should have understood the situation a little better.

And what she said to Hank in her bedroom? That was some cold shit...

Satanic Counsel

Satanic Counsel

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 10:10 AM

I couldn't understand why this was in the main forums to begin with. There must be some serious X-Files love going on at TWOP.

normally I'm a big Becca fan, but I think she was being a little childish about Karen and Hank leaving to rescue Mia. Hank wasn't going for Mia, he was going to protect Karen from the coke-fueled creep. I realize Becca is a child, but if she's going to be portrayed as wise beyond her years, she should have understood the situation a little better.

And what she said to Hank in her bedroom? That was some cold shit...

But she is a child. Like a lot of seemingly "wise-beyond-their-years" kids, emotionally she's still just a kid. And like a child, she was ruthless after being hurt. And Hank was going just as much to protect himself.

Is it just me or did Pussyman not get any this week?

CrashEdit

CrashEdit

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 12:09 PM

But she is a child. Like a lot of seemingly "wise-beyond-their-years" kids, emotionally she's still just a kid.

Point taken. And you're right:

Is it just me or did Pussyman not get any this week?

...Hank did not get laid this eppy. It's a fucked up world when Evan Handler gets a menage and David Duchovny keeps his clothes on...

Omar G

Omar G

Network Executive

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 12:59 PM

I couldn't understand why this was in the main forums to begin with. There must be some serious X-Files love going on at TWOP.

Because the show was being recapped. Now, it's not.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 1:01 PM

Please the less said about Charlie & Marcy(?) the better. UGH.

Becca is a pre-teen and well beyond her years. I think if it had been for anyone but Mia it would have been fine, but since Mia had already "taken" the guitar teacher, Becca's po'd at her.

Hank wasn't going for Mia

He was going because he also didn't know what Mia would say in her drugged state. As it was she almost spilled the beans. She wants him to rescue her like he did with Becca at the party.

BTW, where's Bill??? Karen leaves Hank for...someone basically like Hank, but has a nifty house and the semblance of being responsible. No wonder Mia needs all the attention she does. Bill's never there. Whereas Hank's there too much!

CherSolly

CherSolly

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 4:19 PM

I'm going to miss those recaps.

arabica

arabica

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 6:54 PM

I'm going to miss those recaps.

Not me. Well, maybe just a little. The beccabot references always made me laugh.

This is the first episode that I found a little boring. Excuse my total ignorance in architech language,but what exactly is a Cappy home? Did I even spell that right?

The Charlie nipple clamp situation, though? That made me laugh out loud. Poor Charlie.

bayareabrad

bayareabrad

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 7:20 PM

How is this show being categorized as a drama? Weird. This show keeps getting better by the episode, I was really surprised it dropped off the main forums.

Why did Mia go back to the pervy/creep teacher?? I'm not feeling sorry for her anymore, she got what she asked for. I guess she wants her hero Hank to rescue her again and again until he agrees to sleep with her again. She's really getting on my nerves.

How sad that Becca was left standing all alone with that horrendous cheese thing while Hank ran off to rescue Mia. And how bad I felt for Hank when Becca (don't remember her exact words) basically turned her back on him and told him he wasn't worth loving anymore. :(

OooBabysFamous

OooBabysFamous

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 11:23 PM

I kind of felt for Mia in previous episodes -- her chasing after Hank is a weird attempt to connect with her father. But all of her shenanigans are at Becca's expense, who's done nothing but have a father who at least attempts to care for her.

Please the less said about Charlie & Marcy(?) the better. UGH.

I agree. I like Marcy and the actress who plays her, but that bald guy from SATC? So incredibly not sexy (or interesting as a character) -- he looks like a giant baby.

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 9:36 AM

This is a continuation of my gripe about Hank's character (as written) from the old boards....when Beccabot tells him she's listening to Death Cab for Cutie in her bed at the end, he responds "What no Joni Mitchell? No Blood on the Tracks??"

Again, I know you can be a fan of 1960's music and not be of that generation but they seem to be writing Hank as this former 1960's rebel when in fact he would have been carrying his Speed Racer lunchbox to school in 1968...just grates with me.

CrashEdit

CrashEdit

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 3:49 PM

when in fact he would have been carrying his Speed Racer lunchbox to school in 1968...just grates with me.

...agreed. It should have been "What, no Morrissey? No "Meat is Murder"?

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 6:10 PM

Thanks CrashEdit...or maybe The Replacements' Unsatisfied for that matter....it's a minor point but it just bugs me.

I kinda halfway like this show so I don't want to continually pile on but the plot-line of Perv Teacher from the Comeback seems pretty far fetched in that he hasn't been fired, beaten up badly by Hank and/or Bill or arrested.

Raja

Raja

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 7:02 PM

Or maybe the drop off in gratuitous nudity no longer compelled coverage?

Sigh. That's how it always is. They are always generous with the skin at first. And then they get all mean and stingy.

But on a more serious note I guess we knew it was coming. Glad they stuck with it as long as they did.

I realize Becca is a child, but if she's going to be portrayed as wise beyond her years, she should have understood the situation a little better.

Becca is bright. Becca is book smart. She is fairly well behaved or at least seems so because she is so insular. But she isn't wise beyond her years. One of the reasons I like her character. She's played by someone who actually seems to look and act her age. She may not be loud and gossipy bellowing "Oh my gawwwwwwwwd" every three minutes and she's a good student but that doesn't mean she's an adult. And doesn't mean she is in many way still a child who needs being looked after.

I actually really felt for her in that scene where Hank ran off leaving her at the door. She looked forward to the evening just to have him (as seems to often be his custom) ditch her. And not just for anyone but for a step-sister she doesn't exactly like much at the moment. She also probably knows Mia's game.. that she's just trying to get attention... attention from the person SHE wants to get more attention from. Hopefully the affair with Mia won't come out because it'll probably completely crush her.

Also her jealousy of Mia may have more profound affects on her long term. She sees what Mia is doing as "working" perhaps without not fully understanding the downsides. She may just start copying her actions (sexual and otherwise) to get the attention she feels she needs and isn't getting.

CherSolly

CherSolly

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 8:14 PM

Becca is bright. Becca is book smart. She is fairly well behaved or at least seems so because she is so insular.

Becca is just like V.I.C.I. aka Vicki Lawson.

Illyria B

Illyria B

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 1:52 PM

For next season they better drop the Charlie and his wife and secretary storyline, I hate it. It's enough that Charlie is Hanks publicist.

Everything else with Hank and the family is fantastic, why can't they just focus on that.

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 4:25 PM

Can someone please tell me the name of the song Becca sang in the Battle of the Bands, and who sang the version played at the end of the show?

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 8:57 PM

Illyria B I agree...that subplot adds bubkus to the show/plot....rather doubtful this show sees a 2nd season imo though. Really not much there there...Hank wants his wife/family back, she's ambivalent...just not enough reason for watching.

Illyria B

Illyria B

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 11:08 PM

rather doubtful this show sees a 2nd season imo though

It's already been renewed! From the Futon Critic: "renewed through the 2007-08 season (the show's second of 12 episodes) on 9/7/07".

And I really want them to just focus on Hank, his career and the family next season. And get new opening credits, or at least change the theme music. They have really great music in the episodes, well picked songs that fit the show, but the theme song is just awful and doesn't fit the show at all.

arabica

arabica

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 8:54 PM

I really don't understand the lack of posts here on the TWOP boards, for Californication. It is a popular topic on other boards that I visit. It's also doing really well for Showtime, both here and internationally.

I don't like the opening credits either though, Illyria. Maybe that will change in the second season? I can only hope.

Satanic Counsel

Satanic Counsel

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 11:48 PM

I really don't understand the lack of posts here on the TWOP boards, for Californication. It is a popular topic on other boards that I visit. It's also doing really well for Showtime, both here and internationally.

Well, these boards are known for casting a more discrening eye for TV, hence the title. It's not really a fansite. Mostly you'll see people going on about the shows they love to hate or hate to love. I love to hate this show and am proud that I'm the creator of the "Pussyman" moniker for the Hank Moody character because that's how trite is find his character. But this just got dropped into the main arena, so it lost all of the previous posts when it was being recapped. Wait until a new episode runs then check back.

Edited by Satanic Counsel, Sep 28, 2007 @ 11:50 PM.

McGuilty

McGuilty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 12:03 AM

Wow, that was fast. I had no idea this show got dropped from the main forum until today. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I finally got to watch this week's episode and it's getting better and better. I don't expect this show to be great but I think if they keep the focus on Hank and Becca's relationship, this show could potentially be very good. I've always liked this show so maybe I'm bias.

I'm still having a hard time trying to figure Mia out. She's the only character that still creeps me out. In certain scenes she seems to be a normal teenage but in others she's completely psycho. I am a bit amused by her fascination with Hank and her blackmailing but I hope they keep it light, otherwise it's going to over shadow the show. I really liked the ending in this episode, Becca telling Hank that she knows he doesn't want to let her down but he does and the expression on DD's face made the show for me. Here's hoping Hank will somehow find a way out of his "hole" and show some growth. Although I think he has been learning and growing ever since the red head dumped him.

Edited by McGuilty, Sep 29, 2007 @ 12:05 AM.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2007 @ 11:22 AM

I'm starting to wonder if Mia didn't suffer some kind of sexual abuse (I'm thinking exploitation by a peer as opposed to molestation by some not-Bill relative). At first her antics fit perfectly for me with just a wealthy, intelligent teen rebelling because her dad is kind of not present. But something about the way the actress is playing her is dinging my trauma-dar.