Barney and Robin: BroTP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

313 replies to this topic

inked

inked

Couch Potato

• Interests:Carnivale FTW!

Posted Dec 1, 2009 @ 5:04 PM

I really ship these two. They are perfect for eachother! I loved that Barney cared for Robin from the very start, they built a friendship and just clicked. Barney's season 4 pining was great, it built up to... the couple being assassinated through character butchering, contrivances, pushing the couple into the hetero-normative mold.

I'm happy that they're still friends but they need to understand that they need to be together and be more than friends.

thefourthslap

thefourthslap

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 8, 2009 @ 10:06 PM

I don't like Barney and Robin and I'm glad they broke up. It wouldn't been true to their character if they stayed together in a stable relationship in my opinion.

I agree. However I do think that in some way or another they will end up "together," even if that means they go off to travel the world together at some point (bro-style, of course). It just seems like the writers devoted way too much time on Barney's feelings for Robin to not eventually tie it up in some way or another.

Yvaughn

Yvaughn

Fanatic

• Interests:Television (duh). Pop culture in general. I'm a romance novelist (w/a Evelyn Vaughn) and a college English instructor. Other interests: cats, dogs, bicycling, secret societies (from a fictional standpoint), time-travel (not just from a fictional standpoint), the "reality" of characters and the importance of consistency and organic unity in all forms of fiction.

Posted Dec 15, 2009 @ 4:00 AM

It wouldn't been true to their character if they stayed together in a stable relationship....

Ah, but who (outside of Lily) was arguing that they stay in a stable relationship? I, for one, would love to see the HIMYM writers use Barney and Robin to explore the idea of a 21st century relationship that breaks the conventions. We've had Marshal/Lily as an example of a long-term stable relationship (discounting Lily's brief flight to San Francisco) since the beginning of the series. We've seen Ted as the true arguer for marriage-and-kids love. But does that mean that they can't at least explore the idea of, say, a relationship that's not sexually monogomous? (I could see B&R at least trying that--the times we've seen Barney seething with jealousy, he also wasn't sleeping with Robin at all--even if they later realized, as they get older, that they'd rather just be together... or drawing up one of Barney's infamous charts with the rules by which they can sleep with someone else). Perhaps a relationship in which they don't have to move in together, but instead spend large amounts of time at one's or the other's apartment, depending on mood or convenience? A relationship with no goal toward marriage* (which isn't to say that a pregnancy couldn't shake things up; they'd both make fascinating parents, in the FAR future--"sock!"--but it's out of character for them to want to be parents beforehand).

Why. Can't. We. See. That? Before this season, I would have thought that if any show other than Scrubs could explore such a relationship, it would be HIMYM.

*Per marriage... someone mentioned the idea of Don being Robin's "first husband." Wow, I hope not. For one thing, he's been introduced as a complete tool. But for another--please please please, show, please don't make Robin Scherbotsky suddenly marriage minded! I despise how often TV and movie women are shown to be so desperate to marry that they'll even marry the wrong guy. Women do exist for whom marriage is NOT a goal but, in fact, something to be avoided except under extreme duress (perhaps a pregnancy... or falling crazy, emphasis on the CRAZY, in love). I would have thought this was Robin. To show her otherwise would be such an insult to her character.

YMMV.

Edited by Yvaughn, Dec 15, 2009 @ 4:01 AM.

Tingeling

Tingeling

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 6:44 AM

Is it me, or have the writers started to hint at BroTP again?

I don't think the wedding shown in the premiere is Barney and Robin, but it seems like they want us to think it could be, given that Ted and Marshall appear to be groomsmen, Lily possibly a bridesmaid, and Barney and Robin are never seen. There were also hints in that episode of Barney still being into Robin (though that could arguably be just Barney being into anything lacking a Y chromosome). Then there was the "Subway Wars" episode which had Barney/Robin stuff.

The annoying thing is, I actually found myself interested in that episode. I abandoned the BroTP ship a year ago and have been indifferent since, but with 604 I found myself kind of wishing that they were going BroTP again.

Who knows, maybe they're just set on making us think the wedding is B/R when it's really not, and therefore they are now ship teasing us... Or, you know, I'm seeing things that simply aren't there ;)

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 3:45 PM

I concur that the hints of BroTP are there again this season. In Subway Wars and in the premiere when the boys teased Robin about having lost "it". She went away and "Summer Dressed-Up" impressing Barney in particular.

I think the execution of the relationship last season was not the best, but I still think these two characters and actors have a lot of chemistry so even the hints are fun.

Edited by Thena, Oct 20, 2010 @ 3:46 PM.

RubyRose

RubyRose

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 9:32 AM

I think the execution of the relationship last season was not the best, but I still think these two characters and actors have a lot of chemistry so even the hints are fun.

I was rewatching Sandcastles in the Sand and I still struck by the reveal of Barney and Robin making out. The actors do have great chemistry that I can overlook how the show nearly ruined the couple. I still want them to get together, as long as this time they stay together and they don't do an off-again-on-again thing for the rest of the series.

SparkleyBroLove

SparkleyBroLove

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 7:27 AM

I seriously am in love with these two. If they don't get their act together soon I'm going to be even more annoyed with this show.

chillingnumbnes

chillingnumbnes

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:22 PM

Can someone help me identify the episode with Barney and Robin dancing close (in Barney's epiphany from last episode)?

BrandyLeigh

BrandyLeigh

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 2:45 AM

I know it's been months since you asked, chillingnumbnes, but I just saw your question. It's from 5.06, "Bagpipes", when they're going overboard pretending to be the perfect couple so Ted will think they never fight.

ashes ashes

ashes ashes

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

I'm sad this thread is so dead. But I guess after seven years you tend to lose your messageboard stamina. I'm brand new to the show (but I've seen every episode.) And I'm pretty obsessed with Barney/Robin, so I was looking for an outlet.

I quite agree with a lot of the older comments on here that the execution of Barney and Robin's relationship while they were dating in season five was awful. (The fact that they were briefly engaged never seems to come up.) Which is why I'm kind of glad that there has been a theme this season of their relationship having very bad timing. I kind of like the way they keep taking turns wanting the unavailable other. It seems like an effective way to stretch things out. I'm certainly still enjoying it, though I can see how some might tire of it.

I just hope that when (if????) they do get together again, the writers can redeem the mess they made of it before.

I'm hoping that Barney is marrying Robin, but I'm scared as well. He was jittery enough while talking to Ted about the ties that I could see him marrying some other girl. I'd hate to think he'd get that far with someone who wasn't Robin. But I'd also hate to think he was anything less than perfectly confident about which "tie" he had chosen. Lily seems to be dressed as a bridesmaid, a point in Robin-is-the-bride's favor, though certainly not the only explanation. And Lily tells Ted that the bride wants to speak with him. He definitely has a reaction to this, but I can't tell if it's confusion (meaning it's not Robin and why does this woman want to talk to me?) or vexation (meaning it is Robin and he's either dealing with unresolved feelings towards her or he's worried she's having second thoughts and needs to talk to him about them.)

I was OK with Robin staying with Kevin and not meeting Barney. (Storytelling wise, that is. Of course I hated that Barney's heart was broken.) But her accepting Kevin's proposal really struck me as quite wrong. All of her considerations were about children, and not even a moment of reflection about Barney? I just found it unlikely she fell so hard and so fast for Kevin (especially given that she had already cheated on him). And I think we're in store for another similar thing with Barney and Quinn.

So, what do you guys think? Is Robin the bride? And is Barney/Robin endgame for the show?

The Barney/Robin storyline would get just as much good as the Ted-meets-the-Mother storyline if the writers knew how many seasons they had left to write.

BrandyLeigh

BrandyLeigh

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

Hey ashes ashes! I definitely agree with pretty much everything you wrote.

Yeah, the execution of Barney and Robin's relationship in Season 5 was pretty terrible (then again I think that entire season, for every character, was pretty terrible). I didn't have a problem with them breaking up after seven episodes, since obviously neither of them were really ready to be in a serious relationship at the time, but the way they broke up was so dumb, and besides the season premiere and a couple of moments thereafter, they both felt really out of character.

I'm hoping that Barney is marrying Robin, too, and I feel pretty confident about it, but of course, I'm a fan of theirs, so perhaps I'm just seeing what I want to see. I really think the whole conversation with Ted about Barney wondering if he's picking the right tie is just a way to make us second-guess ourselves and think that Barney might not go through with the wedding. I really think it's just normal jitters, and more like Barney having a freakout at the thought of being with one woman for the rest of his life versus seriously thinking about bailing on his wedding day and running off with some other woman he used to date. The reason I think this is because Ted is so calm in those scenes. I feel like, if Ted honestly thought Barney was thinking about whether he should be with another woman on his wedding day that he'd be seriously upset with him. Also, in the wedding scenes in this season's premiere, Ted starts talking about how no way can Barney's wedding be as terrible as Punchy's. And what happened at Punchy's wedding? Barney and Robin danced, and Robin almost told Barney how she felt but was interrupted by Nora calling. Why would Ted and Barney talk about that on Barney's wedding day to someone else? To me, it doesn't make sense, which is just one of the reasons why I think he's marrying Robin.

There's also the fact that in the Season 6 premiere, Future Ted says that there are two big days in any love story, the day you meet the girl of your dreams, and the day you marry her. The show started with Ted meeting Robin, but that was also the same day Barney met Robin. So, the show starts the day Barney meets the girl of his dreams, and ends the day he marries her. And the show ends on the day that Ted meets the girl of his dreams, on the same day that two of his best friends (one of whom is an ex he once loved very much) get married. I'm pretty sure the show didn't plan this out from the beginning, but to me it makes so much sense and is so sweet and brings the story full-circle that I think they'd be crazy not to end it with Barney and Robin getting married. I know that Robin started the chain of events leading to the mother anyway, but I still think that Barney and Robin getting married is a much more poignant ending, especially for Ted.

Another reason I still think Robin is the bride is because we're heading towards the end of the series and things still haven't been settled between her and Barney. They could've had them break up in Season 5 and that could've been it, but they said at the end of their breakup episode that they just needed to let things run their course, implying it was a longer story for them. Then in Season 6, they had them get so close as friends the entire season, and they end with Robin realizing she still has feelings for Barney. Then in Season 7, they show a flashback to the summer where Barney admits that everyday he doesn't talk to Robin is "no good", and then they almost kiss. Then they have them cheat on their significant others - not just a kiss, where they might have been caught up in the moment, but they actually have sex. They both agree to end things with Kevin and Nora. Barney actually has an epiphany and they show a montage of them over the years with Nora's dad talking about soulmates and best friends and how nothing and no one else can compare. How am I supposed to care about Barney with anyone else after that?

Basically what I'm saying is, they laid it on thick, and why do that if they want me to accept Barney and Quinn, or Barney and another woman they're going to introduce later on? Then of course, in "Symphony of Illumination", Robin imagines that she's with Barney in the future and they have two kids together. And then in this latest episode, Barney is clearly not over Robin, but has seemingly given up, because he thinks it's hopeless that she'll never feel the same way. Why even have that conversation with Ted if they want us to think Barney has moved on? I'm sure some people probably felt like Barney was truly saying he's done with Robin, but I didn't really get that. And again, why have the writers bring it up at all - they haven't said anything about Barney's feelings for her specifically since 7.10, so why even bring it up now? He could say nothing at all and we could just assume that Barney is over Robin since he's pursuing a relationship with Quinn.

There's also the whole idea of closure. Ted is just getting it now, five years after he and Robin broke up. Granted, Ted is the narrator of this story, so perhaps his closure is deemed more important, and Ted and Robin are a big part of the series. That said, Barney and Robin just slept together back in November, and it clearly wasn't over between them then, so how am I supposed to believe that Barney has enough closure to get married to someone else in the next year or so? Of course, I can't know for certain if Barney is going to go through with the wedding though a past interview with the creators said he would go through with it, a more recent one made it sound more vague, like he might not go through with it. Whether that's because they've changed their minds or they just want it to be more of a surprise, I don't know. but since they seem to be trying really hard to make Barney mature into the kind of person who could ostensibly get married, I don't know why they would have him wait until his wedding day to bail on his fiancee. Seems pretty immature to me, not to mention it seems like too much drama on a day when the focus should be on Barney getting married, and then Ted meeting the mother.

I agree with you that it made sense for Robin to stick with Kevin, but that it didn't make any sense for her to say yes to his proposal. Even if Barney didn't exist, and even if Robin had never cheated on Kevin, I don't think she should have married him. He was a nice guy, but he and Robin didn't appear to have anything in common, and they (IMO) had zero sexual chemistry. I just didn't buy that she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him, and only gave him up because he wanted kids and she didn't.

As for Barney and Quinn, I fully expect for the show to have him be instantly in love with her, and for their relationship to be portrayed very seriously. Even though there's not much of the season left, I wouldn't even be surprised if they move in together or get engaged. I mean, I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised. Still, I'll just assume that Barney is throwing himself into this relationship because he's tired of one-night stands and thinks things with Robin are hopeless. Plus, Quinn told him that she didn't think he was capable of loving anything, which obviously hurt his feelings since he clearly worries about that, so I can see him trying to prove himself to her that he is capable of it, much in the same way that he tried to prove to Nora that he could be a good boyfriend.

Edited by BrandyLeigh, Feb 22, 2012 @ 4:14 PM.

ashes ashes

ashes ashes

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

Hi, BrandyLeigh! Iím glad to see thereís more than just tumbleweeds rolling around in here.

I didn't have a problem with them breaking up after seven episodes, since obviously neither of them were really ready to be in a serious relationship at the time, but the way they broke up was so dumb

I totally agree. They were together for a significant amount of time (wasnít it calculated to be seven months or so?), but they werenít quite ready yet. I think they needed to break up in order to realize how good it was when they were together, how happy they were. But thatís exactly the reason why the episode where they break up, and their reason for doing so, was so insufficient. There were so many other ways it could have happened Ė mature, respectful ways. That episode just feels like such a fluke. (Iím a new fan, so clearly Iím still a little bitter about it.)

Ted is so calm in those scenes. I feel like, if Ted honestly thought Barney was thinking about whether he should be with another woman on his wedding day that he'd be seriously upset with him.

This is a really good point. And I think if Ted were unsure about whether or not the wedding in question should happen, he would not have been so quick to assure Barney that he had chosen the right ďtieĒ.

Iíve heard it speculated (or maybe just wishfully thought) that if Barney is marrying Robin, maybe he just seems a little jittery while heís waiting in the wings, but once he sees the bride walking down the aisle heíll know heís doing the right thing. I could handle that. But it really bugs me that Barney would be sitting there on the day of his wedding asking Ted if he was marrying the right girl. I could see him asking whether heís really ready for this or not, or whether heís worthy of marrying her. But the fact that heís questioning who heís marrying gives me some pause. If it werenít for that, Iíd probably be confident that Robin was the bride, as long as the wedding was taking place towards the end of the series.

I also canít shake the feeling that the writers have it in mind to trick us some how in a big way before the show is over. I donít know if Iím just paranoid, or what. But I think the writers enjoy pulling the rug out from under us. Like in the pilot when Ted narrates, ďAnd thatís how I met your Aunt RobinĒ, or in Symphony of Illumination, when you find out that the kids arenít real.

I think they'd be crazy not to end it with Barney and Robin getting married. I know that Robin started the chain of events leading to the mother anyway, but I still think that Barney and Robin getting married is a much more poignant ending, especially for Ted.

That would be such a nice bookend for the series, thatís for sure. Ted may be the narrator, but there are five main characters, and I think theyíre just about equal. Ted may be telling his kids the story of how he met their mother, but whether he meant to or not heís been telling them (and us) just as much about how Barney and Robin ended up together (if that is indeed what happens), and with that in mind, the show ending with their marriage makes perfect sense.

Another reason I still think Robin is the bride is because we're heading towards the end of the series and things still haven't been settled between her and Barney.

Definitely. I mean, if you look at it: they first hooked up in season three. Then Barney spent season four in love with her. They dated for part of season five, and spent a couple of episodes dealing with the aftermath. Things went on the backburner for the second half of season five and season six, but there were still plenty of reminders during that period that these two had serious feelings for each other and a lot of chemistry. (A lot more reminders than we ever got with Ted and Robin, in my opinion, and weíre still settling that whole thing five years later.) Then Robinís feelings for Barney get stirred up in the sixth season finale. She spends the first part of the seventh season in love with him, then they hook up again, then heís in love her, and is, presumably, still in love with her. Considering how long their relationship has stretched out, it seems inconceivable that those feelings would suddenly just go away. And just looking at how many times theyíve gone back to wanting each other Ė any kind of permanent resolution to their feelings for each other would feel fake to me, especially given the timeframe.

Even if Barney didn't exist, and even if Robin had never cheated on Kevin, I don't think she should have married him. He was a nice guy, but he and Robin didn't appear to have anything in common, and they (IMO) had zero sexual chemistry. I just didn't buy that she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him, and only gave him up because he wanted kids and she didn't.

I thought they were kind of cute in the episode where they first met, and the one after. But they didnít have the chemistry, and they never seemed to be enjoying themselves when they were together. You can tell when Robin is having fun. I just felt like she thought she needed someone healthier in her life (like what Kevin said to her in the hospital in Tick, Tick, Tick which made her decide to stay with him instead of going to meet Barney). But never in a million years would I have guessed that she would accept his proposal! I still canít get over it. They hadnít been together for all that long, and they just never seemed to be in love.

I feel like things will get pretty serious pretty quick with Quinn too. But Iím hoping itís just because sheís a red herring, keeping us in suspense about who Barney is marrying. Like you, Iíll be telling myself that he wants to marry Robin and is so hurt that she doesnít love him (or so he thinks) that he throws himself into things with Quinn. But the longer they stay together, the more substance their relationship will have. They could get engaged next episode for all I care Ė what would bother me more is if sheís still around halfway into season 8.

I'm glad you're so confident. I'm just protecting myself with pessimism.

BrandyLeigh

BrandyLeigh

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 1:30 AM

That episode just feels like such a fluke. (I’m a new fan, so clearly I’m still a little bitter about it.)

Yeah, it really did feel like a fluke. I'm still not even quite sure of the reason they gave for their breakup - not ready for a relationship? Both of them were too selfish? They argued too much? You can read a few pages back (I believe that episode aired in November 2009) to see how bitter people were about it. Such a waste!

But the fact that he’s questioning who he’s marrying gives me some pause.

Yeah, it's possible that my interpretation is just wishful thinking. I guess I just hope that they're trying to mess with us, and make us wonder if Barney goes through with it or not to build suspense, rather than it actually being about Barney questioning who he's marrying. They seem to be trying to have Barney mature enough to get to a place where it's not totally crazy that he would get married. I feel like Barney will still seem really immature if, on the day of his wedding, he ends up running off with someone else, or doesn't go through with it.

I also can’t shake the feeling that the writers have it in mind to trick us some how in a big way before the show is over. I don’t know if I’m just paranoid, or what. But I think the writers enjoy pulling the rug out from under us.

I have that same paranoia! But to be fair to the writers, they usually only do these shocking twists over the course of one episode. Like in the pilot, that's the only episode where they lead us to believe that Robin is the Mother. And in "Symphony of Illumination", that's the first time they introduced the idea of Robin actually having kids in the future, and then we find out at the end of that same episode that they're not real. It wasn't something where they lead us on for multiple episodes or seasons. Obviously, the writers could pull some huge twist out of thin air, or they could have something planned that I've not even considered, but I like to hope that they won't pull the rug out on us on something they've been hinting at and building on for years, like the reveal of the Mother, and now, that Barney is marrying someone on the same day Ted meets the Mother.

Considering how long their relationship has stretched out, it seems inconceivable that those feelings would suddenly just go away. And just looking at how many times they’ve gone back to wanting each other – any kind of permanent resolution to their feelings for each other would feel fake to me, especially given the timeframe.

I feel the same way. Like you mentioned, they kept bringing up their feelings for each other, season after season, when they could've just let their feelings die years ago and never brought them up again. It seems like if they wanted Barney to seriously marry someone else, they would've been better off keeping Nora around and developing her character better over time.

I'm glad you're so confident. I'm just protecting myself with pessimism.

Oh trust me, I'm not that confident! I keep second-guessing myself, but then I start listing all the reasons why Robin being the one Barney is marrying makes sense, and it makes me a little more confident. But I do try to protect myself with pessimism also. After all, there's absolutely nothing concrete that says Robin is the bride. They could definitely decide to throw in some kind of twist. Or they could decide that Barney and Robin never did get their timing right, and so they just don't end up with each other (although they already did the "bittersweet ending" with Ted and Robin, so I don't know why they'd want to do that with Barney and Robin, too). Barney could end up happy with Quinn (or some other woman they introduce next season) and Robin could end up single or with a guy they introduce later. I wouldn't understand why they went through all they did with Barney and Robin all the way into Season 7, but it is a possibility that I should prepare myself for.

Edited by BrandyLeigh, Feb 24, 2012 @ 1:32 AM.

Ailurocrat

Ailurocrat

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

Hello, I'm a new fan of HIMYM---just discovered it a few months ago.

My strongest reason for believing in Barney/Robin: it would make sense within the story Ted is telling his kids.

Lately (starting in season 6) the show has become more focused on the Barney/Robin relationship, and this has leeched some of the spotlight from Ted's quest for the Mother. Arguably, this is because the writers realized Barney is a very popular character (am I wrong in my impression that he is more popular than Ted?) and decided to give the fans what they wanted. However, if they do end up together, this retroactively justifies the seemingly inordinate amount of time Future!Ted has spent telling his children about Barney and Robin: every twist in that plotline has brought us closer and closer to the day of the marriage and the day Ted meets the Mother.