Barney and Robin: BroTP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

313 replies to this topic

queenofdenile

queenofdenile

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2007 @ 12:43 PM

Okay, I know they're not a couple, but I desperately want them to be and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way, so I opened a new thread.

I loved the idea of these two together way before the laser tag episode. I've been rooting for them since the fourth episode, when he paid her to embarrass herself on the news. I think Barney falling for her and having no idea what's going on or how it happened would be hilarious.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 12:04 PM

As much as I would love a one night stand between them, I would really like to just see more "bro" time between them. They were awesome playing laser tag together and smoking cigars. Honestly, I'd like to see more episodes with stuff like that (as well as other characters outside the usual combination...Ted/Lily, Marshal/Robin, Barney/Marshall).

mozzarella

mozzarella

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 2:14 PM

I think Robin and Barney would make a terrific couple, but I don't see it happening until Ted is completely over the breakup, if it even happens at all. Barney falling in love, period, would make for a lot of hilarious storyline possibilities, but I've kind of convinced myself that it would be the sweetest if it were with Robin.

Tyo

Tyo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 2:35 AM

I, too, think they would make a great couple. Seeing as how Robin wants to travel the world and Barney's always looking for some exciting adventure to go on, they could make a good team. Adventuring by day, drinking by night, having sex by later that night, and being awesome at all times.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 1:04 PM

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loves them together. I don't want them to be a couple (at least not until some future time) but I wouldn't mind a casual thing. Mostly I just want more scenes with them together. The minute they did the "freeeze frame" five I became a fan of the combination.

CherryStem

CherryStem

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2007 @ 1:14 PM

I've been rooting for them since the fourth episode, when he paid her to embarrass herself on the news.

Oh my God! That is EXACTLY when I decided I wanted them to pair up and every little thing afterwards (especially lasertag) just made it more and more desirable in my point of view.

Am I wrong, but hasn't Neil Patrick Harris says he actually plays Barney with the subtext of having a thing for Robin?

Awfully Good

Awfully Good

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 2, 2007 @ 6:48 AM

I like Robin and Barney whether they are as bros or a couple. The time I became a fan was the episode "Zip Zip Zip".

Am I wrong, but hasn't Neil Patrick Harris says he actually plays Barney with the subtext of having a thing for Robin?

I guess it's true since he plays Barney having a thing for every female who doesn't have the "OHHH" factor.
There was one interview I saw at CBS.com where NPH says he thinks Barney will start falling for Robin.

Zif

Zif

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 12:40 AM

"Holy crap, you're beautiful!" Yeah, I love the pairing. Robin is the opposite of the clingy, overwrought type Barney can't stand, and he actually pointed out in "Zip, Zip, Zip" how suitable they were.

dealan

dealan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 12:50 PM

I could see Barney falling in love with Robin by accident (and then refusing to acknowledge it once it was pointed out to him) but I'm more curious as to how Robin would play it if they ever started dating.

queenofdenile

queenofdenile

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2007 @ 5:28 AM

I think it would start off as the two of them hooking up when they were both really drunk. As casual as they both are about relationships, and as much of a player Barney is, I don't see them first hooking up sober, or in their right minds, out of respect for Ted's feelings. And I think that out of respect for Ted's feelings, they would swear that it would never happen again. But then they find it happening over and over again anyway.

dawn9476

dawn9476

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2007 @ 5:23 PM

I think they end up together in the end. I think there is a reason why they made them both so anti-commitment and they have little moments together like how she "suited up" for him. I think that is the moment I decided that they would end together.

kinkyprude

kinkyprude

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 7, 2007 @ 6:32 PM

I don't quite remember what sold me on this ship in the first place, but now that I'm sailing the flag, it's all I see. I was re-watching "How Lily Stole Christmas" and Robin nursing Barney is just the cutest thing ever. Also, I don't see any of the other characters doing that for Barney. So, so cute.
Oh, and I agree queenofdenile. They have some drunken hook up, play it off, have another drunken hook up, play it off, have a slightly tipsy hook up, and then accidentally find themselves in a relationship. And then they both freak out.

fuzzbear

fuzzbear

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2007 @ 6:21 PM

They have some drunken hook up, play it off, have another drunken hook up, play it off, have a slightly tipsy hook up, and then accidentally find themselves in a relationship.

While I think I'd like to see them together, this scenario is way too Monica-Chandleresque for me. I don't think Bays/Thomas want to invite even more comparisons to Friends (and I loved Friends).

AngleMan

AngleMan

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2007 @ 7:48 PM

16 no's really.

Wow that's a strong denial.

Protest too much?

dealan

dealan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2007 @ 10:10 AM

The last time Robin said no that many times to a guy, she ended up sleeping with him. Although, I do like how the show keeps showing us how Barney and Robin are well suited for each other (no pun intended...well okay, maybe a little).

Coconut

Coconut

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2007 @ 10:25 AM

I'm all for hook-up between these two since "Zip, Zip, Zip" when she suited up for him and he took her to the Cigar Bar. He also seems to know a lot more about her then the other's. Didn't he say something about her smoking habit that Ted knew nothing about?

I think Barney does like her he just doesn't know how much. He kept wanting Ted and Robin to break up and did everything he could to make Ted see that Robin wasn't the right girl for him. Because if her only "but" is she's Canadian, then he likes everything else about her.

I can see them drinking scotch and smoking cigars in bed together.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Oct 28, 2007 @ 8:35 AM

I don't see them as a typical romantic couple (at least, not right away), but I definitely figure they've hooked up. They've got great chemistry together, and the way Robin overdenied everything last week tells you there's some history. And, of course, there was the way Barney wildly overreacted, back when Ten and Robin moved in together.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're each other's "booty call". You know, a casual hookup if one of them's looking for a quick one-night-stand with no strings attached. Whether that leads to anything down the line.... well, we'll have to wait and see next season, won't we?

ScarlettLynn

ScarlettLynn

Fanatic

• Interests:I'm here because I'm completely addicted to television.

Posted Nov 9, 2007 @ 1:42 AM

I've been rooting for them since the fourth episode, when he paid her to embarrass herself on the news.

That was exactly the moment for me too. That's when I started wondering if Uncle Barney and Aunt Robin were actually "Uncle Barney and Aunt Robin" in the future.

I can see them drinking scotch and smoking cigars in bed together.

That's exactly it. They seem like they would really just get along. She "suits up" and they seem to have so much in common.

interestingname

interestingname

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2007 @ 12:06 AM

I LOVE that I'm not the only person who loves the idea of these two! I definitely think/hope it's going to happen, but I can't decide when and how it should start.

For the when:
If it happened before Ted meets the Mother, are we going to have to deal with him being all wounded puppy over his lost love getting together with his buddy? How badly would that screw up the group's dynamic - that would be the worst for me, since this show thrives on the awesomeness of the five leads together. Maybe it could happen with Ted in a relationship, although not necessarily with the Mother, since we don't know when she's coming. I feel like if Ted found out about them when he was single it would go very, very poorly.

For the how:
Several people have posited that it starts as a drunken hookup, which would be very easy to see but as others have said, it's been done before. I could see this show still making that work, but it would be fun to see them try out something new. Imagine another night of them bro-ing out together but without Robin's feelings for Ted getting in the way. That would be pretty cool, but the morning after would probably be brutal, with both of them feeling guilty. Also, there is the possibility that they start hooking up, don't tell Ted because of the guilt, but can't seem to stop themselves. In that case we'd have the secret couple stoyline which again is soooo not new. But could it work?

I'd be really interested to hear what people think!

mozzarella

mozzarella

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2007 @ 1:56 PM

After "Slapsgiving," I got the impression that the path is now cleared for something between Robin and Barney to start heating up in earnest. The characters haven't been alone together in quite a while, so I'm looking forward to some scenes with just the two of them getting along really well (and maybe having some silent realizations about just how well they get along).

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Nov 26, 2007 @ 1:19 PM

As much as I would like to see them hook up, I can't see any kind of "relationship" between them. Although Robin isn't into the idea of kids, I don't get the idea that she would be content to be somebody's occassional piece of ass. Barney, to this point in time, doesn't do relationships of any kind. He goes on dates, he scores and, if he is lucky, he manages to escape without the girl knowing his real address. It would be cool as hell to see them together, but I honestly don't know how they could do it without changing Barney's character.

Edited by TWoP Barnes, Nov 26, 2007 @ 6:38 PM.
format

CherryStem

CherryStem

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2007 @ 11:54 PM

Okay, what did everyone else think of that little air-kiss that Barney sent Robin after she said she was going to punch him in the face? First, I just loved it because, well, it was Barney blowing Robin a kiss, but what I thought was really interesting -- and admittedly could have just been NPH playing feelings for Robin on his own -- was how he kept looking at her. It was intense.

Loved it.

mozzarella

mozzarella

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2007 @ 12:55 AM

The writers have to be planning to actually go there with Robin and Barney, because otherwise, things like the air-kiss and sixteen no's are just cruel taunting. Plus, they made a point of showing that Robin and Ted are falling out of attraction with each other. Coincidence? I think not! (Or at least, I hope not.)

dealan

dealan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2007 @ 2:08 AM

After that air kiss and the seeds planted with Rhonda talking about really connecting with a woman for purposes other than getting into her pants, I fully expect a reveal that Barney and Robin are doing it by the end of this season if not the opener of next season.

Now, who is going to write the fic where Robin lets Barney practice hitting on her to prove that Barney hasn't lost his mojo (you can choose to have him fail miserably pre-Rhonda or succeed post-Rhonda)?

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Nov 27, 2007 @ 12:54 PM

But how would they get them together without ruining their characters? Does Robin suddenly become ok with being just another conquest? Does Barney suddenly decided to become a "one woman man"? Or I supposed they could go the Friends route and have them become involved and keep it a secret from their friends...leading to all kinds of Chandler/Monica-esque hijinks. I don't know...I just don't see a way it could work, except as a drunken one night stand....and I don't want that. Any fanfic writers out there want to throw me a scenario where it WOULD work?

SilverPoet

SilverPoet

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 27, 2007 @ 6:23 PM

Bleh, I hope this doesn't double post, since my computer ate the other one...

Anyway, YMMV, but I think that Barney's character is so much deeper than just lusting and bagging as many women as possible. I see it as a complete front. NPH does such a great job letting that come through too. He's just a bundle of FEELINGS. I think he'd be completely okay with settling down with one woman, if she could get through the fakery that he puts off and compliment his awesome. Robin does these things for him. She's not the "typical" girl that he's afraid of that will tie him down (at least in the most obvious ways...she likes her freedom too).

On that same token, Robin doesn't want to be tied down. She isn't interested in kids. She wants a partner in crime, and I see Barney being that fit.

Hence, why I'm excited that they keep throwing these hints in our faces! I'm excited for this pairing.

I've got ideas for angles on how this works...I think they'll end up in a one on one situation and somehow be thrown together in a romantic way, ala, the spontanious weird kiss (this may be a flashback when the rest of the characters find out). Not sure how they'll play the "find out". I think they're already doin' the deed. I'd love it if they just had an ep where Robin and Barney decide to share with the rest of the group that they are a couple...followed by flashbacks and glass breaking and lightbulbs going on about all the clues that everyone else missed.

queenofdenile

queenofdenile

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2007 @ 7:22 PM

Good points, SilverPoet. I also think that these two could have fun with a less conventional relationship, maybe even an open one. We know that Robin travels a lot to Morocco, Greece, Spain, and Japan. Barney's got enough money that he could up and go with her, but he probably wouldn't be able to go *every* time. I can see them in a relationship where they gave each other permission to sleep with other people while she was out of the country, but only saw each other when she came back to New York.

mozzarella

mozzarella

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 1:08 PM

The main reason I don't think Robin and Barney are currently involved is that Barney high-fived Ted for the Slapsgiving hook-up. I think that if Barney and Robin got involved, Barney would have some real feelings for her, whether or not he admitted them to himself, and therefore would feel jealous or hurt that Ted slept with Robin. The writers could always retcon this and show that Barney put on a front so as to keep his and Robin's relationship a secret, but I really think there's only potential between them at this point.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 5:03 PM

little air-kiss that Barney sent Robin after she said she was going to punch him in the face? First, I just loved it because, well, it was Barney blowing Robin a kiss, but what I thought was really interesting -- and admittedly could have just been NPH playing feelings for Robin on his own -- was how he kept looking at her. It was intense.

The thing I noticed was after that when he kept lookinag at her, he started making another face like she'd responded to him him in some way.

I really hope they do go somewhere with the Barney/Robin thing, it's just too good to pass up, even if all they do is suit up and play Battleship ;)

dealan

dealan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2007 @ 12:27 PM

For those of us who have problems keeping track, winter_baby just posted a pic!spam of Parallel!Season 3, which views S3 through BroTP lenses. Quite, quite amusing.