Ratings & Scheduling: Chuck, Please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3315 replies to this topic

AnnaRose

AnnaRose

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 1:21 PM

Also the only fans I ever hear say the show got better the second half of S3 and that S4 was alright are Charah fans but not everyone was a Charah fan or were ever invested in the romance between Chuck & Sarah. So looking at it without 'Charah color glasses' on those episodes were just as bad as the 1st half of S3.

Well, I'm not a Charah fan and I thought the second half of season 3 and season 4 were better than the previous two seasons. No Charah colored glasses here.

I do agree the urgency is gone and I also think there are some fans who still don't even realize it's on Friday nights now. Not everyone follows shows on the internet, and since NBC's audience in general is so small, even if they ran an occasional promo once in a while... I doubt many people would see it.

The first two episodes were tough because they were setting up a whole new dynamic, but all the reviews I've read said it starts to get really good with this next episode. It's a shame that the ratings are so poor. I hope they will be able to finish out their 13 episodes. Does anyone know which episode they're filming now?

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 4:56 PM

It's Friday night. Nobody is watching TV on friday night. I think its that simple. I also don't think we have anything to worry about with regard to NBC not airing the remaining episodes. I think at worst they could burn them off in 2 hour blocks so it's off the air quicker. But I think they'll just let it ride and give it the respect a 5yr old show deserves.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 9:14 PM

I watched the first 15 minutes of the premiere and honestly, I'm bored with the show. Giving Morgan the intersect was just a bad idea, and it's gotten too far away from its original premise of Chuck being a normal guy trying to figure out how everything is connected.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 11:18 AM

Just wanted to pick up on the topic of why Chuck isn't showing up in any of the On-Demand or web based places like Hulu. As was mentioned in the 5-3 episode thread, ChuckTV.net is trying to get a specific answer, and they have pretty good connections. If they haven't gotten an answer yet, I'm guessing that the answer is either an unpalatable one that nobody wants to share, or it is currently tied up in legal and nobody's allowed to talk about it.

Since it's not available in any other format, I think the reason is probably coming from the production company rather than from NBC, but there's all sorts of ways that the contract between the two can allow or prohibit other distribution of new episodes of Chuck.

I can at least offer some first hand knowledge on the idea that NBC would be appeasing Cable Companies by restricting on-line options for their programs. Every contract I've ever seen between a programmer and a provider is dictated by the programmer. The cable or satellite providers can attempt to put up some resistance, but mostly they end up giving in because what are they going to do? Not show NBC?

On the specific topic of restricting on-line access, FOX recently decided to hold back everything for 8 days, but they put on their web site, if you want it now, tell your cable provider that you want them to sign up with FOX, and then you can sign in as a registered user.

This is not an effort to appease cable companies and hope that it will make people sign up for cable. This is an effort by FOX to turn the cable companies into a collection agency for their on-line content. When FOX goes to negotiate its next contract with Cablevision, it is going to ask Cablevision to pay them something like an additional $0.12 per month per basic subscriber to let their customers have the benefit of watching FOX shows immediately on the web. Cablevision, depending on how angry its customers are with the fact that it isn't one of the companies that is registered with FOX, will either tell FOX to pack sand or to agree to the fee and pass along this brand new $5,000,000 annual expense to its customers.

It does not seem likely that NBC is playing any sort of game in this new concept with Chuck, however. If they're going to go the route that FOX went, it would be with everything (and certainly not with a Friday night show that is getting less than 1.0 ratings in the 18-49 demo.) Maybe the production company is just banning the on-demand and internet options because they think they'll be able to get more money from DVD sales? Hard to say. I don't think they should be too worried about getting people hooked on the show anymore. Kind of late for that, given that the final 13 episodes are very much the final 13. If people weren't watching before, they are highly unlikely to pick up on it now.

ipj

ipj

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 11:52 AM

Thanks, JT.

It's frustrating, because the actual marketplace is one in which people expect to be able to check out a show airing on regular broadcast channels online. Like that episode you caught? Here, catch up with the last 3 online. Missed some because Mom called or you had to work or the dvr cut out? Want to check out that great scene, and you didn't record it? Here, we'll put the show up the next day. It's become built in to how we watch. And I actually watch the ads on hulu, because they don't take a lot of time.

I lived happily without tv for well over a decade. Started watching some stuff on dvd. If it was good and airing, discovered I could catch stuff online and get my fix. But that fix just is not strong enough to motivate me to go back to the old model.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 1:21 PM

Consumers of TV who do not see the broadcast advertising, ever, are slowly becoming statistically relevant. I imagine that the people who need to make enough money to produce new television shows will eventually figure out how to get some money from us. Otherwise, they'll just go do something else for a living.

And in a general sense, I do think that's why the season 5 Chuck episodes aren't available right now. Somewhere, somebody's trying to figure out how to make some money.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 6:23 PM

NBC released their mid-season schedule, and Chuck's 2-hour series finale is January 27th.

I assume because of holiday programming there will be a couple of weeks without an airing; I'm thinking that they'll have to do double up one week to meet the January 27th finale date.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 2:55 AM

I am a Charah fan, though not a particularly devoted one, and frankly while I think the show had great potential in season one and kinda hinted at reaching it in s2, it's been coasting at best ever since. I honestly feel like the plotting has been absolutely dreadful almost all the time. I've only kept watching because every season felt like it could be the last and why not finish out the string? If this had been a show where they got much better ratings with the same writing, I would have dropped it a long time ago.

Yimitz

Yimitz

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 11:12 AM

For all Detroit-area viewers, be aware that WDIV is preempting tomorrow's (11/18) Chuck episode to show a local special, and will air it instead at 1:35 a.m.

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 11:28 PM

I assume because of holiday programming there will be a couple of weeks without an airing; I'm thinking that they'll have to do double up one week to meet the January 27th finale date.

According to Josh Schwartz, original episodes will air on both 12/23 and 12/30. though the show is apparently taking the next two weeks off for Thanksgiving and will be back on 12/9.

Edited by tgrfan23, Nov 18, 2011 @ 11:04 PM.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2011 @ 1:46 AM

For all Detroit-area viewers, be aware that WDIV is preempting tomorrow's (11/18) Chuck episode to show a local special, and will air it instead at 1:35 a.m.

I really loathe WDIV. Grumble.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 4:29 PM

New episode this week, and there's a Christmas episode, yay!

"CHUCK VERSUS THE HACK OFF"
12/09/2011 : AN UNDERCOVER MISSION AT A BIZARRE CULT RECONNECTS CHUCK WITH HIS HACKER PAST -- CARRIE-ANNE MOSS, BEAU GARRETT AND DANNY PUDI GUEST STAR -- DIRECTED BY ZACHARY LEVI

"CHUCK VERSUS THE CURSE"
12/16/2011 : A CASE OF MISTAKEN IDENTITY GIVES ELLIE AND AWESOME A DATE NIGHT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET -- REBECCA ROMIJN GUEST STARS

"CHUCK VERSUS THE SANTA SUIT"
12/23/2011 : GHOSTS OF CHRISTMAS PAST RETURN TO HAUNT CHUCK AND SARAH WHEN OLD SECRETS AND THREATS RESURFACE -- COMIC BOOK LEGEND STAN LEE GUEST-STARS

Source.

Edited by Trini Girl, Dec 9, 2011 @ 1:44 AM.

olywriter

olywriter

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 9, 2011 @ 10:43 AM

"CHUCK VERSUS THE CURSE"
12/16/2011 : A CASE OF MISTAKEN IDENTITY GIVES ELLIE AND AWESOME A DATE NIGHT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET -- REBECCA ROMIJN GUEST STARS

This sounds an awful lot like "Date Night" with Steve Carrel and Tina Fey. Of course, the "Chuck" episode will be vastly different from the movie, but from the description, it sure sounds like the same exact thing.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 10:34 PM

Some places have "Chuck vs the Santa Suit" and another has "Chuck vs the Grinch" for the next episode title.
----------

Since it's not available in any other format, I think the reason is probably coming from the production company rather than from NBC, but there's all sorts of ways that the contract between the two can allow or prohibit other distribution of new episodes of Chuck.

I'm thinking that it may have been a cost cutting decision with Warner Brothers to get the last season aired. Basically, NBC didn't pay for the rights to distribute it online. (Not that I have any idea how much that counts.) Just a theory.

Samurai

Samurai

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

One last ratings report - Chuck hit its season high (1.3) for "Vs. Goodbye". Not that it matters at this point, but nice to know there was a small uptick for the end of the show.

Samurai

Samurai

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

In hindsight, it's too bad that Chuck couldn't maintain it's season 4 average. Given the dire straits (again!) that NBC finds itself in, if Chuck had managed to hold its own on Monday nights, we'd still see it on the teevee.

Oh well...what's done is done...