Ratings and Scheduling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

137 replies to this topic

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 10:17 AM

Tonight's hour long episode features previously unaired scenes, but it's mostly last season's finale. Color me confused, but it's showing up as a new episode according to my DVR.

I wonder if it will count towards the ratings for the show's second season.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 4:27 PM

The new TV season officially begins Monday, so tonight's ratings won't affect this season's average.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 10:49 AM

I have a conflict Thur 8p. Earl, Survivor & Ugly Betty are all in the same time slot. Last season I watched Ugly Betty via computer the next day, but my love for that show has grown. I can't decide which show to watch the next day, or on the rabbit ear set complete with commercials (old school!) if I happen to be home.

American Snob

American Snob

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 8:46 PM

I might have a solution: watch Ugly Betty live, tape Survivor and watch Earl online the next day. And don't forget to check out 30 Rock if you haven't! Just spreading the word so to speak!

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 10:33 AM

I've watched 30 Rock since episode one. I think Earl is the one that will get the online treatment. I wasn't sure if full Earl episodes would be available on my computer. I should check another NBC show today to make sure.

soupcat

soupcat

Couch Potato

• Interests:Hiking, reading, WFMU radio (www.wfmu.org), WOXY.com radio, Asian cuisine and other ethnic cuisine, bread-baking, TV criticism, film criticism, food criticism

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 3:23 PM

From Media Life's article about the DVR ratings for premiere week:

Among the returning shows that saw sizeable DVR kickups of 20 percent or more in 18-49s: CBS’s “How I Met Your Mother,” Fox’s “Prison Break” and NBC’s “My Name is Earl.”

Hooray! I only watched this show intermittently in the first two seasons, but after that outstanding season premiere, I've resolved to watch every week. Hopefully others have too. And the demo ratings already looked pretty decent, I'm glad to say, even without a DVR boost, so the show is unlikely to be moved or dumped. It ain't a huge hit, but it's consistent. Ratings for Oct. 11:

CBS began the night in the lead with a 4.5 rating [among adults 18-49] at 8 p.m. for “Survivor: China,” with ABC second with a 3.5 for “Betty.” NBC was third with a 3.1 average [among adults 18-49] for “Earl” (3.1) and “Rock” (3.0), Fox fourth with a 2.3 for “Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?,” CW fifth with a 1.9 for “Smallville” and Univision sixth with a 1.1 for “Amar sin Limites.”

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 2:22 PM

I was out Thursday and missed the show, but unfortunately there seems to be something wrong with NBC's video player. Does anyone know if it's been out of order for days or if it's just bad timing on my part?

tarragon918

tarragon918

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2007 @ 6:14 AM

iMissEthan, it might just be bad timing on your part - my daughter was able to watch MNiE yesterday afternoon on nbc.com. I've had issues with the cbs.com videos or podcasts as they call them.

Has anyone heard anything about how the writer's strike will affect MNiE? I saw a very brief blurb in the Wash. Post style section, I think on Friday, where Greg Garcia said that they have stuff filmed till the first of the year. I hope they're able to settle the writer's demands quickly. Not that I would mind watching re-runs of MNiE, though!

rugbyskier

rugbyskier

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 5, 2007 @ 12:17 AM

I thought the American fans might be interested in how My Name is Earl is performing in the ratings in Australia. Just some background: MNIE is on the 7 network and its regional affiliates Prime, GWN and Southern Cross. The ratings are based on the total audience in the five mainland state capital cities (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth). The show is on at 8pm on Sundays, in competition with Australian Idol on 10 and 60 Minutes on 9 (the two other privately owned commercial networks) plus documentaries on ABC and SBS (the two government owned networks), which rate considerably lower.

14 October: My Name is Earl 1.569 million, Australian Idol 1.285m, 60 Minutes 1.012m

28 October: My Name is Earl 1.309 million, Australian Idol 1.387m, 60 Minutes 1.295m

4 November: My Name is Earl 1.382 million, Australian Idol 1.261m, 60 Minutes 1.123m

MNIE was not aired on 21 October.

MNIE rates consistently higher in Melbourne than Sydney, where Australian Idol is usually number 1. Last night MNIE had an audience of 510,000 in Melbourne compared to 334,000 in Sydney. Idol rated 382,000 in Melbourne and 415,000 in Sydney.

The reasons for this? Melbourne has a stronger stand-up comedy scene than Sydney, plus the lead-in programme on 7 is Kath and Kim - a satirical sitcom set in suburban Melbourne (Melburnians love shows about themselves). Sydney, like Idol, is flashy and trashy.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2007 @ 7:34 PM

Does anyone know how many episodes of Earl were filmed pre-strike? I know, for example, that after this Thursday's The Office, there are no more new ones.

The Harlequin

The Harlequin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 14, 2007 @ 2:14 PM

According to Ausiello, 13 episodes have been completed. 1 hour episodes count as 2 episodes, so we have 4 episodes left.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2007 @ 4:53 PM

Thanks, Harlequin. That was a very helpful article.

Matt K

Matt K

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2007 @ 3:24 AM

According to TV guide, no new episodes for the next two week (in two weeks, a repeat of Gangs of Camden County) but according to my math (which may be faulty) there is one episode left. So I wonder if NBC will wait for the strike to end or just show the lone episode at some point after new years (Feb sweeps?)

Loey

Loey

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2007 @ 11:01 AM

If this is the last episode until the strike is over, then it couldn't have been planned better.

The TV Guide says this week's ep is new. Yayy!!

TV Guide Online must overrule the print version. Online says no episode this Thursday but print version says new ep about Earl being out of jail. What a tease. Boo to you, TV Guide.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2007 @ 8:00 PM

Yeah, I saw that in the newspaper this morning. I was surprised and excited and... and... and then crushed.

soupcat

soupcat

Couch Potato

• Interests:Hiking, reading, WFMU radio (www.wfmu.org), WOXY.com radio, Asian cuisine and other ethnic cuisine, bread-baking, TV criticism, film criticism, food criticism

Posted Dec 15, 2007 @ 8:08 AM

Don't blame the TV Guide or the newspapers. NBC originally said we would get "Bad Earl" this past Thursday, then changed its mind, seemingly at the last minute. They're doing a lot of that lately. They've also yanked off the Saturday reruns of "Chuck." I was going to tell all my friends to check out that show from the beginning. Sheesh.

Oh well, the power was out here in northern NJ on Thursday night anyway.

Supposedly we might get "Bad Earl" on Jan. 10, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold it back for Feb. sweeps.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2007 @ 3:16 AM

NTV (a local station out of St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, that airs a lot of Global programming) aired "Bad Earl" last night (Dec. 20). I missed the first five minutes because I was a bit slow turning it on, figuring it was a rerun, but what I saw was pretty good. It ends on an interesting cliffhanger, too. I actually came in here looking for the episode thread, 'cause I figured I just missed the airing on NBC.

Hope for all your sakes they don't hold off too long before airing it, 'cause it's definitely a Christmas episode, and it just wouldn't be the same in February.

Edited by The Mad Maple, Dec 21, 2007 @ 3:17 AM.

canuck75

canuck75

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2008 @ 5:22 AM

Mad Maple, just curious if Alyssa gets more or less screen time than in her first appearance in "Frank's Girl?" Also, what you thought of her second appearance as Billie?

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2008 @ 12:06 PM

Discussion of that should go in the spoiler thread since it's about details of upcoming episodes and not about scheduling. Thanks.

JessKess

JessKess

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2008 @ 10:45 PM

Supposedly we might get "Bad Earl" on Jan. 10, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold it back for Feb. sweeps.

I saw an ad for it tonight! Very excited to see a new episode this week!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2008 @ 11:25 AM

Yay! I miss the Camden gang.

acatmaylook

acatmaylook

Fanatic

• Interests:Cats, "personality" dolls (Cher, Elvis, etc.) reading, comedies, reality shows where the contestants DO something more than Survive.

Posted Jan 21, 2008 @ 11:53 AM

I saw an ad this weekend that said "My Name is Earl" will be on TBS. The story I found online says "fall '09" but I think the ad said March. It's probably a scheduling bump due to the writers' strike and a lack of programming. Apparently the Office is already on TBS, if not the HD version they're going to add per the news story.

Edited by acatmaylook, Jan 23, 2008 @ 1:55 PM.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2008 @ 12:14 PM

Yeah, it is starting in March on TBS. I can't remember what date it starts though. I've been seeing the ads while watching Family Guy.

canuck75

canuck75

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2008 @ 6:34 PM

Earl scheduled to return with new episodes on April 3rd with a 1 hour episode.

http://www.zap2it.co...0,5166001.story

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2008 @ 7:05 PM

Earl scheduled to return with new episodes on April 3rd with a 1 hour episode.

And I am SO happy. EW says that at least 8 new episodes will likely air. YAY!

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2008 @ 10:16 AM

We have a date for TBS - it starts on Monday. Last night during Family Guy, they mentioned it in the bottom corner of the screen.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2008 @ 3:01 PM

Earl returns on Thursday with two new episodes. 8 and 8:30 p.m. EST.

Luauumama

Luauumama

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Lazy Rivers in water parks,Nacho Cheese Doritos, glitter nailpolish, 80's Hair Metal,MNiE.

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 12:09 AM

the whole fam has been waiting alll summer!

Cypher21

Cypher21

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 9:35 PM

Do we know what the ratings have been like for this season? I'm curious as I'm thinking the show has started to run it's course. I know last season took a big hit as they had to hurry up the prison storyline and then we got that horrible coma storyline. The only episodes that I found highly hilarious have been the COPS parodies. I'm hoping that S5 will be the last in order to get it all wrapped up in a way. Of course NBC doesn't have much else going for it to replace this or other shows.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2009 @ 8:49 AM

Earl is on at 8:30 this week due to the stupid soon to be ex-president taking 15 minutes of network time at 8:00 tonight.