3-1: "My Name Is Inmate 28301-016" 2007.09.27 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

100 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 3:21 PM

From Zap 2 It:

As he begins his jail sentence, Earl discovers that life behind bars is difficult; Joy finds the perfect gift to pay Earl back; Randy has difficulty adjusting to his new life without Earl; a bully seeks out Earl in prison.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 8:12 PM

God, that was so fantastic. I'd forgotten how good this show is.

Poor Randy. He just broke my heart, especially at the end, because I was so proud of his progress. Joy's tough love was actually a really great idea.

Joy's guilt was really sweet. I'm glad she recognizes what a huge sacrifice Earl made, and that she's trying to honor it.

Loved the "invisibility" sequence, and Glenn's list of threats, and most of the insights into prison life. The funniest moment, though, by far was the Camden Scouts rounding up the illegal immigrants.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 8:17 PM

SONNY!!!!

Oh, I have been waiting since the pilot for him to come back. And Earl telling us "At first people wondered where he'd gone... and then after a few weeks they forgot about him" -- he was talking about us, wasn't he? (Right, Greg?) At least, he might have been talking about me. I've missed Sonny; and now I know what happened to him.

I love this series so very, very much.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 8:18 PM

I'm a spider ball?

Bits of the shiv might still be imbedded in the wound. If your arm turns black, tell a guard.

"I FEAR NO MAN!"
"I said getting out. You fear getting out."
"Oh, well. Yeah."

Now, if we can just get you to stop walking around with that shirt like a big-headed hillbilly Linus....

I would really love to have an Earl quilt. With a tiny Joy and Crabman getting it on.

Edited by JessicaLovejoy, Sep 28, 2007 @ 2:19 PM.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 8:23 PM

Well, that exceeded my expectations. For an hour-long episode, there was really no filler.

And the guards were playing Jenga!

Because I'm a dork, I looked it up and found out that 28301 is the zip code for Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Spooneroonie

Spooneroonie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 8:23 PM

Now, if we can just get you to stop walking around with that shirt like a big-headed hillbilly Linus....

and this:

It's gonna take awhile. They're Lutherans.

....nearly killed me.

ETA:

Because I'm a dork, I looked it up and found out that 28301 is the zip code for Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Imdb.com claims that 28301-016 is also the inmate number of Scooter Libby. Not sure if that's true or not.....

Edited by Spooneroonie, Sep 27, 2007 @ 8:27 PM.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 8:31 PM

Heh, Spooneroonie, then that would make Joy a stand-in for...?

Guilty Joy is hysterical. And I always appreciate her interactions with Randy (I remember some great scenes between the two of the in Season 1). The quasi-'tracheotomy' was cute.

CactusChef

CactusChef

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 8:48 PM

Imdb.com claims that 28301-016 is also the inmate number of Scooter Libby. Not sure if that's true or not.....

Yes, that info is true. When making the pages for Wikipedia, I orginally titled the episode name, "My Name is Inmate", because I thought that was just the title and the remaining text was possibly a production number at first. Then I googled the number and saw that it was Scooter Libby's number as well.

As for the episode, I thought it was great. I loved all the little shoutouts (the Dolly Parton poster/The Shawshank Redemption). I got a kick how Randy was missing Earl so much he was taking advice from to Catalina's "Sock Earl". Definitely a great way to start off the season, it exceeded my expectations as well.

jedicaboose

jedicaboose

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 8:58 PM

My only disappointment is that Ralph got out out so quick after that awesome ending last season.

But otherwise, great premiere.

TV_Buffy

TV_Buffy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 9:15 PM

Loved this episode. It just flew by. I enjoyed Earl's prison transformation and Randy's attempts to live without Earl. The whole episode was extremely strong and well written. I'm very excited for the new season.

Teitr Styrr

Teitr Styrr

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 9:25 PM

Was that Ben Foster? This show never ceases to amaze me at who they get to play bit parts. Oh, it was great too.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 9:26 PM

The whole "return to the list and New Earl" arc was predictable, but it was still funny.

I too wished Ralph was going to be on the show longer. I bet he will be back, though.

I felt bad for Randy. Maybe he is better off with Joy's "tough love", though.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 9:28 PM

My only disappointment is that Ralph got out out so quick after that awesome ending last season.

His note to Earl was hilarious, though. Giovanni Ribisi gives good voice-over.

Kulfi

Kulfi

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 9:42 PM

OK, so we need a thread to discuss title changes. Because "Big Headed Hillbilly Linus" trumps the hell out of "Hungry Dizzy Hulk." I laughed so hard at that...

Edited by Kulfi, Sep 28, 2007 @ 4:34 PM.

may2

may2

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 9:52 PM

Tightie, whitie, mighty, fightie.

Spooneroonie

Spooneroonie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 10:00 PM

His note to Earl was hilarious, though. Giovanni Ribisi gives good voice-over.

And he is thoughtful enough to remember to bore a hole in the melon.

HappyHappyFunFu

HappyHappyFunFu

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 10:08 PM

I loved it. Those old guys had me laughing so hard.

jedicaboose

jedicaboose

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 10:17 PM

And he is thoughtful enough to remember to bore a hole in the melon.

Which makes it even more tragic Earl accidently busted it.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 10:45 PM

Aw, that was Josh giving his wallet to Glenn. And now we know the original whojackie's pincode (have we googled it for significance yet?).

Great pacing in this episode. Earl's attempts to fit in, then be invisible with Sonny, were a hoot. I'm still a bit squicked by the bug collection for Glenn's badge, though.

ETA: Was that the husband from Maude that Earl decked when he picked sides against the oldtimers?

Edited by Shelwood, Sep 27, 2007 @ 10:46 PM.

sinderellagirl

sinderellagirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 10:48 PM

Loved tonite's epsiode.. One of the old guy gang members was Maude's husband from "Then came Maude". Wow, he was old then.. The casting director of MNIE does a fantastic job! I love watching who pops up on the show, also love the music, great selection and always seems to be right on!

ETA: Was that the husband from Maude that Earl decked when he picked sides against the oldtimers?

You beat me to it Shelwood!

Edited by sinderellagirl, Sep 27, 2007 @ 10:49 PM.

Not It

Not It

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 10:50 PM

After "Bigheaded Redneck Linus," my second favorite part was the albino prison gang plotting to retake the shady part of the yard.

Edited by Not It, Sep 27, 2007 @ 10:51 PM.

RudyRayMoore

RudyRayMoore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 11:04 PM

LOVED it. A fantastic premiere, and the hour just flew by. Loved Joy and her big-ass rubber band, the Earl quilt, hand puppet Earl, and Glen's entire cub scout/dark side backstory. (Fell off the couch when Earl said, "Is there a Scoutmaster in here?" and 20 hands went up.)

But Glen's escalating list of death threats, delivered while frantically digging a hole in the jail cell, just killed me. Especially:

"I will twist your yam sack like a balloon animal!"
"I'm going to rip off your face and wear it to the Ugly Ball!"
"I'm going to rip off your ears and stick them up your butt so you can hear me kicking your ass!"

Sigh...this show is win.

nyxlily

nyxlily

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 11:06 PM

Absolutely loved Joy and her method of fixing Randy. By god, it's about time that boy learned to think for himself, and I applaud Joy for the tough loving.

Cleo256

Cleo256

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 1:19 AM

"At first people wondered where he'd gone... and then after a few weeks they forgot about him" -- he was talking about us, wasn't he?

Sonny who? (kidding, of course. I'm just saying, they got it right).

I think they made a good use of their hour. I was a little concerned at first that they were going to just ignore the list, since they had de-centralized it a bit last season. But then Earl found someone on his list and the episode came together.

ketchuplover

ketchuplover

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 1:42 AM

Believe it or not I thought this was at least as good as The Office. Yes that was Ben Foster.

firestarter

firestarter

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 1:46 AM

Hilarious. Great riffs on every prison movie ever made. And I totally didn't catch that Josh was the one who threw his wallet and gave up his PIN.

"I'm going to rip off your face and wear it to the Ugly Ball!"

That's both hurtful and mean.

I knew someone would re-quote Glenn's insults. They went by so fast, I guess I'll just have to watch again.
"His rage lasted longer than the pig, probably because he doesn't smoke."

Bravo, Earl guys! Great premiere.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 2:07 AM

I laughed like a crazy woman all through this episode. Really, really well done; it didn't feel padded or stretched at all. I'm hoping my new best friend CactusChef is going to put that list of insults on the wiki page because I truly was laughing so hard I missed some of them. And I didn't realize that Glen was played by the same guy who played Eli on Freaks and Geeks!

I think I may start threatening my kids and pets by warning, "Don't make me get out the big-ass rubberband!"

And the bit about Sonny totally, totally was a shout-out to the All The Many Posters of the Wide, Wide World of Web.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 2:58 AM

And the bit about Sonny totally, totally was a shout-out to the All The Many Posters of the Wide, Wide World of Web.

I'm really, really, really impressed at how many bit characters the show gets to do repeat appearances... and how naturally they fit into each ep's story. I confess, I didn't even recognize that guy in the store backroom was Josh.

The reciprocal favors were genius. "Get everyone else out for a day so I can have the place to myself". "Take care of my dog." But "clean the dead flesh out of my back wound" was a little too gross for me.

(Fell off the couch when Earl said, "Is there a Scoutmaster in here?" and 20 hands went up.)

That one floored me too.

I liked the Shawshank Redemption homage at the top of the episode, and the pull-back from an attempted punch to a running "Hello!" was hilarious. I've seen it three times, counting once from the promo and it's still funny.

acatmaylook

acatmaylook

Fanatic

• Interests:Cats, "personality" dolls (Cher, Elvis, etc.) reading, comedies, reality shows where the contestants DO something more than Survive.

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 8:16 AM

I thought it was really nice of Darnell to phone the prison to find out what Earl was having for dinner, even though they gave him a sarcastic answer. Randy: "I'll have what the puppet is having."

"You know we're not really going to balance the checkbook, don't you?"

"For a master race, you're not open to new ideas."

Catalina was visiting in her Club Chubby costume because one of the girls at the club would steal your pants/underwear and sell it back to you at unreasonable/highly inflated prices.
Edited because I apparently can't accurately remember something I heard less than 24 hours ago. I'm going to have to start taking notes.
So much good stuff...

Edited by acatmaylook, Sep 28, 2007 @ 12:33 PM.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 8:29 AM

Ben Foster was just brilliant. The maniacal expressions were priceless but it was the look on his face when he shived Earl that was so indescribably good that I had to pause the TiVo just to gape at it. Between Foster and Gosling, who knew wise-aleck teens from Canadian tween shows could be so good?

Was that the husband from Maude that Earl decked when he picked sides against the oldtimers?

Thank you! The voice was killing me. I noticed Bill Macy's name in the credits--but I kept thinking William H. Macy and not Maude's husband.

eta: Oh, another facial expression that got me to rewind was Jason Lee's goofy face as he raced past the huge prisoner he was too scared to hit.

Edited by LT, Sep 28, 2007 @ 8:38 AM.