HIMYM Scheduling and Ratings: Nothing Good Happens After 2 AM

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

599 replies to this topic

bluedot

bluedot

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2011 @ 2:07 PM

Do we have a date for when the next new episode is?

cheryl1213

cheryl1213

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

I know they had a NYE theme so needed to run one last week, but I think the TV Gods are cruel when we get only one new ep and then a rerun the next week!

TwizzWhizz11

TwizzWhizz11

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

Whoever is scheduling HIMYM has a death wish - I would have much rather waited two weeks and have seen all three episodes in a row than just have an episode, then a break for a week, then another episode, etc. :)

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:59 AM

I don't understand how this show is getting some of it's highest ratings this season. I think this is the WORST season and I fear the high ratings will lead the writers to think they are doing a good job.

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

Why is there a rerun tonight? I really don't understand how they are scheduling this show. It seems like every other week there is a rerun.

couchspudstud

couchspudstud

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

Was it a rerun tonight or did my DVR just not record? I can't believe they're showing reruns during may sweeps. What's up with that?

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:11 AM

Wasn't on at all. An hour of Two Broke Girls was on.

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

With ratings like these, maybe it is time How I Met Your Mother met The Mother.

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 3:48 AM

With ratings like these, maybe it is time How I Met Your Mother met The Mother.

HIMYM was adjusted up .2 from the 3.4 to 3.6. And given the general erosion of network ratings from year to year, plus how other of their CBS shows did that night (like H50 --yikes!) and given how well The Voice is doing, 3.6 is probably seen as doing pretty well. Now how it holds up will be the next question. Though CBS is probably worrying about the whole night now, given how poorly Partners and H50 did.

watcher1006

watcher1006

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

HIMYM beat out ABC's Dancing with the Stars and Fox's Bones although it lost to NBC's The Voice. The whole 8-10 PM block on Monday nights will be quite different from a year ago because of NBC's decision to air its reality show big gun early in the season. It's interesting how the returning CBS shows HIMYM and 2BG seem to have done okay against it but newbie Partners flopped. So much for the idea of "nesting" a new show between two proven series.

Agreed the question is how well HIMYM will hold up as the season goes on. What I've heard is that, with the principal cast's contracts all up for renewal this season, that at least four of them - Neil Patrick Harris, Jason Segel, Cobie Smulders, and Josh Radnor are inclined to move on with their careers elsewhere. I heard that the question of renewal for another season will come down to how much money they can all be paid to continue.

A decade ago a similar situation occurred with Friends where one more season was squeezed out with hefty salary bumps for the cast. The money has to be there for that to happen, ratings are money, and at least for now HIMYM doesn't have the same ratings power that Friends had back then.

I can't believe that the day has come when I don't want to see good ratings for this show.

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

The show is doing pretty well in ratings thus far, especially given the continuing plummet in overall network ratings. It's in the (top 20 of shows thus far ). So as I see it, the only way this show ends at this point, and it's early days (but see also: networks ratings plummeting), but the only way this is the show's last season, is if the actors make it so (so please JS and NPH --next season at the latest being the last, please). And even then, and I would actually agree to one season more to wrap everything up, and all the cast gets a ton more money.

Edited by WedgeOfSpite, Oct 27, 2012 @ 8:21 PM.

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

I think the reason they showed a rerun is to be nice to people in the NYC area because of the hurricane, where electricity died all over the place (I live in lower Manhattan and a quarter million of us don't have power) and they didn't want us to miss the episode. No DVRs without electricity.

mwitter2003

mwitter2003

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

I read alot of comments about people enjoying the earlier seasons and seem to only be hanging around to see how it ends/ who's Miss Mosby. My opinion is the show is funnier and more enjoyable when Barney is single but that doesn't seem like its gonna happen. Barney is the funniest character and he needs figure himself out and become the hilarious character he was earlier in the show to keep rating high.

rosetattoo

rosetattoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 3:13 AM

I read alot of comments about people enjoying the earlier seasons and seem to only be hanging around to see how it ends/ who's Miss Mosby. My opinion is the show is funnier and more enjoyable when Barney is single but that doesn't seem like its gonna happen. Barney is the funniest character and he needs figure himself out and become the hilarious character he was earlier in the show to keep rating high.

No, I can't stand Barney anymore and I hate the pairing of Robin and Barney, so this is going to be difficult fro me to watch the upcoming episodes.
If they have to rely on one character to get good ratings then the show is ready to finish

clear

clear

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

Bad news: It looks like season 9 is a go. seriously, have people learned nothing from The Office?

Basically, AH is in because someone who did "American Reunion" is really just about the paycheck at this point. JR and NPH are more ambivalent,but hey, money is money and since the "Two and a Half Men" train is finally going over the cliff CBS is desperate and will probably pay obscene amounts.

I'm really hoping JS (busy film, writing and producing career) and CS (big hit movie last summer, father of her child on the opposite coast) decide they've had enough, because I really like this show but people need to end things when they're supposed to end. I don't want this how to be like he horrible ninth season of Scrubs. From what I can tell, something convinced JS to walk back his comments about being done after season 8.

But this is good news:

“Our contracts end at [Season] 8, so it’s one of those, you know, if they wanna do 9, they’re welcome to, but we have a lot of other things [going on],” Neil Patrick told AccessHollywood.com’s Laura Saltman at the CBS Fall Preview Party in Los Angeles on Tuesday. “Cobie [Smulders] has got ‘The Avengers’ that just made a billion dollars, Jason [Segel] makes a ton of movies, I’m anxious to move East and Josh [Radnor] is directing and acting in movies as well. So, we all are anxious to move forward.”

If the beloved cast were to agree to a Season 9, NPH said it would have to be incredibly lucrative for any of them to stay.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

For good or bad (bad!), I easily see CBS coughing up the money, much as NBC did for the Friends cast. Granted, the ratings for HIMYM are nowhere near Friends level, but not much on the TV landscape these days is (minus, perhaps, The Big Bang Theory, which just seems to keep growing like Friends did circa Season 8).

I doubt it'll come to a million per episode as it did for the Friends cast, but I do think the cast will get one last big payday to do one more season. Sadly. This show is such a shell of its former glory. But numbers rule all, I guess.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

*head desk*

I hope the cast stays strong and refuses to go to Season 9.

clear

clear

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

I doubt it'll come to a million per episode as it did for the Friends cast, but I do think the cast will get one last big payday to do one more season. Sadly. This show is such a shell of its former glory. But numbers rule all, I guess.

But other than Jennifer Anniston, the cast knew that Friends was going to be the high point of their careers, and certainly the most money they'd ever make. (In fact, ibex if it were just the other five Friends would have gone ooh even longer). But with HIMYM, three of the five cast members have prospects. (Four, if you count Josh Radnor thinking he's going to make the next Garden State). They have less incentive. Unless that payday is INSANE.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

Well, I don't think JA has done all that spectacularly post Friends, myself. She makes movies, true, but 9 times out of 10, it seems out of sight, out of mind. Not saying she is bad or anything, but her choices - maybe outside of The Good Girl - seem to be bland. I don't think making tired rom-coms or whatever is much better than what the rest - minus David Schwimmer, apparently - still seem to be doing on TV. I'd argue it is still Friends and Rachel Green that will forever be THE role which defines her career. And really? there's nothing wrong with it, as acting is a game of luck, and those six got very lucky very quickly. May as well ride the wave that keeps on giving, almost two decades later.

Anyway, as for HIMYM, I think it is a crap shoot: New opportunities are great, and I'm glad the cast have them. Still, fame in any fashion can only last for so long in some cases, and I think NPH knows it, seeing as he kind of fell off the radar for ages post Doogie Howser and only got a foothold again in the Harold and Kumar movie.

Then again, in his case, I saw a quote where it says he wants to move east. So maybe the money won't matter either way. Maybe he wants a piece of the anonymity back with his family or wants to do theater?

The point is, another payday would be a tempting safety net for them, just in case what is hot now cools later on. Shrug.

Although Alyson Hannigan is likely already set between Buffy and the American Pie franchise.

So, yeah, I guess things may go either way. CBS will likely REALLY have to sweeten the pot if it wants any S9.

Frankly, I hope the cast does walk for the sake of ending this show with a crumb of dignity, but I can see them cashing in, as well.

Edited by WendyCR72, Nov 29, 2012 @ 6:44 PM.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

people need to end things when they're supposed to end.

Unless they have a time machine that can take them back a few seasons, that isn't happening.

I wish TPTB would read the episode threads here and understand what a shit show this has turned into. But since it's too late to go out on top, may as well keep spewing out a big pile of crap as long as the network will have them.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

But other than Jennifer Anniston, the cast knew that Friends was going to be the high point of their careers

Do you mean JA was deluded into thinking she was going to eclipse her Friends fame in the future & the others were more realistic, or that you think JA actually has been more successful after the show ended? Because I agree w/the former, but definitely not the latter. Actually, I've enjoyed Lisa Kudrow's post-Friends career the most, with The Comeback & now Web Therapy.

I hope they end HIMYM this season & think it's kind of sad they're trying to stretch to season nine.

Edited by braggtastic, Nov 30, 2012 @ 12:05 PM.

clear

clear

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

Kids, Did I tell you about the time Bays and Thomas gave a firm date for when we'd know about a ninth season?

They said the absolute end date is the TCAs in January. And sadly, it looks like it's going to happen. They really seem to want it. And I guess for that amount of money, so would I.

TVLINE | Is it true that the decision now rests with the actors?
It’s something that we’re all kind of deciding together. Some of it has to do with money, but a lot of it also has to do with the schedule. We want to make sure that our actors continue to be able to do all the fun,extracurricular stuff that they do. They all have really big careers outside of our show, and we respect that and want to make sure that we’re able to make a good product and that they’re still able to do all the things they want to do. More than anything, it’s that. It’s just figuring out if and how we can do another year. That’s the question.

TVLINE | On that note, is a shortened ninth and final season a strong possibility versus a full season order?
I would rather not. I feel like if we’re going to spend a year of our life on it, I’d rather do the full 24 [episodes] to really do it right. That’s where I fall. It’s how [co-creator] Craig [Thomas] and I see it. We’d be open to other possibilities, but our dream would be to do another 24-episode season.

Is anyone picturing the final season of The Office. Except you can Allow half the cast to disappear In a big ensemble workplace comedy much better than a friends-hanging-out one. The only way the cast will do this is if they get time off to do their own thing, so Marshall's law firm will send him to China, and Barney will enter the witness protection program, and Robin will travel to that long list of countries Ted mentioned in the second season, and every episode will begin with her Skyping with Ted.

mwitter2003

mwitter2003

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

I buy all the seasons on DVD and watch the funny ones at random. I wouldnt mind the 9th season full or shortened. I think at this point its important to give the writers a deadline so everything isn't rushed or stretched thin (like the Barney and Robin storyline). If they know when it needs to end maybe they can start writing the episodes now so (fingers crossed) the episodes are better equality. I think the seasons were questionable during the writers strike and when the series was in the last year of their contract.

Lysine

Lysine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

I can't believe this hasn't been posted already: CBS renews HIMYM for a ninth season.

Seems Jason Segel had a change of heart at the last minute and decided to renew his contract for another year.

Oops, I see that this was postsed in the Media thread already. Well I suppose it belongs in both threads?

Edited by Lysine, Dec 21, 2012 @ 11:18 PM.

mwitter2003

mwitter2003

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 2:51 PM

I can't beleive NPH didn't win "Best Comedic TV Actor" on the People's Choice Awards Chris Colfer isn't even the funniest actor on Glee. NPH was robbed.

clear

clear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 12:44 AM

According to the President of CBS, they are completely open to negotiating a tenth season, and beyond. Third paragraph.

watcher1006

watcher1006

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 11:28 AM

...and beyond. Ugh!

The longer they keep going, the shakier the continuity will be, and the more inconsistent the hints about the mother from earlier seasons will become. But once again, it isn't easy to launch a new sitcom and have it sit consistently in the 3.0+ Nielsen 18-49 demographic, in a competitive timeslot. That's all CBS cares about.

After steadfastly watching every single episode of the first seven seasons I largely gave it up this season just because I got so fed up feeling that I was being strung along. I haven't abandoned the show entirely, I just tune in now and then when I hear buzz about something interesting in the upcoming episode. Angry as I was at this show, I was surprised at how hard it was to turn away even to this degree. I realize I still do care about the five members of this ensemble, even though their characters go further downhill the longer this show continues on.

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 9:30 AM

The negotiations are still going on, AFAIK, and they just blew it big time on a ninth season by specifically mentioning the date. How are they going to do a ninth season stringing us along, when we know that he meets the mother in May 2013?

Is season nine going to be a new version of 24?, or is it going to have a different title? The date thing could have been easily dealt with, but they didn't do it, presumably since they hadn't heard the official renewal.

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 11:21 PM

Is anyone picturing the final season of The Office. Except you can Allow half the cast to disappear In a big ensemble workplace comedy much better than a friends-hanging-out one. The only way the cast will do this is if they get time off to do their own thing, so Marshall's law firm will send him to China, and Barney will enter the witness protection program, and Robin will travel to that long list of countries Ted mentioned in the second season, and every episode will begin with her Skyping with Ted.

This is scarily plausible.

watcher1006

watcher1006

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 4:17 PM

TV by the Numbers is reporting that HIMYM hit a season high last night of 4.0 with the 18-49 demographic.

It used to be that I'd see these kinds of ratings and groan with the thought that this show would be stretched out ever further, to its creative detriment. Now that we have an expiration date on this series, a season and a half from now, I can see such news and be happy for the show.

Of course if it were up to the network execs, I imagine they'd keep the show going until it had completely declined to the point that the bulk of its fans totally give up on it.