Unspoiled Speculation (May Include Promos): How We'll Meet The Mother (And Other Things)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

821 replies to this topic

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

I think I'd actually prefer this to seeing who The Mother will be, because at this point I don't think there's a way to introduce her without disappointing a large majority of the audience. Since she's been built up into this magical, perfect woman for eight years.

In "Trilogy Time," Ted says that his newborn baby daughter looks just like her mother. They could take that literally and bring in Lyndsy Fonseca to play the mother, which would be a neat trick in that we'd have been waiting to meet someone who was actually in the first scene of the first episode. It might disappoint some of the audience, but I think a majority would enjoy it as the kind of trick this show pulls all the time.

CrimsonGirl

CrimsonGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

They could take that literally and bring in Lyndsy Fonseca to play the mother

Actually, that would be clever. I vote they do that.

My second choice would be to have Quinn be the mother, because I really wanted Barney to marry Quinn, and if that isn't going to happen, maybe she can marry Ted*.

TEAM QUINN!

*(Yes, I know there are narrative reasons that can't happen, or would contradict earlier evidence in the show.)

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

Ick, it'd really be creepy to me if they have her play The Mother.

dynamic17

dynamic17

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

If not Victoria, I think Jewel Staite would be wonderful as the mother.

Zoeypants

Zoeypants

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 26, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

This may have been discussed in the previous 25 pages (and apologies if it has) [site rules require you to read the last 15 days or 15 pages of any thread before posting. Don't apologize, do follow the rules] , but has the possibility of The Mother being the TA for the Econ class? I was rewatching "Girls vs Suits," and Cindy mentioned she was in the class as well. It's a big class, 2 TAs working on grad school or their PhD could be a possibility.

Edited by TWoP Lockley, Aug 31, 2012 @ 1:53 PM.
Please read thread before posting

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

This may have been discussed in the previous 25 pages (and apologies if it has), but has the possibility of The Mother being the TA for the Econ class? I was rewatching "Girls vs Suits," and Cindy mentioned she was in the class as well. It's a big class, 2 TAs working on grad school or their PhD could be a possibility.

Are you saying that you think The Mother is a TA rather than an undergrad student? Or are you asking if The Mother was in the class at all?

It's been confirmed that she was in the class the day Ted accidentally taught it, but it's unknown exactly why she was there.

I'm hoping that she was indeed a TA or graduate/doctoral student, because mid-30s Ted dating a traditional undergrad (max age 21 or 22) is just gross. If she's a PhD candidate like Cindy then it makes sense for them to be roommates.

It's also possible that, like Ted, she was in the wrong class. Or she could be an undergrad who is finishing her degree a little later in life.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

Still looks like The Mother is the bass player in the wedding band, but who knows.

Ted's mentioned in the past that his teaching job at Columbia is important to him meeting The Mother, so maybe she recognizes him at the train station 9from mistakenly teaching her Econ class) and strikes up a conversation with him. Whereas if she didn't recognize him she would've just ignored him. Or he might be headed back into the city that night to get ready for a class the next day, so the teaching job is important because otherwise he would've spent the night at the wedding location with his friends and he never would've met The Mother.

Although knowing this show, it's just going to be a sad little "Woe is me, now that Barney and Robin are married I'm the only bachelor so I'm going home alone to cryyyyyyyy" martyr thing.

And he's also said that the kids already know the story about her yellow umbrella, so maybe it blows out of her hand at the train station (which would also dramatically reveal her face to the audience) and hits Ted. Or maybe she yet again leaves it behind and he goes after her to return it.

Astor

Astor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

some kind of article or something:
http://www.headlinep...-she-teds-wife/

imdb page of the person who may have played the Mother:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2138621/

screencap and CSI-ery:
http://i.imgur.com/81UnK.jpg

Doubt it means anything. The person in last nights episode was most likely just a place holder.

Edited by Astor, Sep 25, 2012 @ 8:45 PM.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

So now that we know he'll meet her on the train platform, let's make some guesses:

Who is she? The bass player from the wedding band, Barney's half-sister, a bridesmaid, a totally random person who wasn't even at the wedding, etc.?

With the bass plus the nice outfit/shoes, I'm guessing she was in the band. I'm hoping it's not Barney's sister.

Who'll approach who first?
I think she'll approach him first to talk about the book, and/or to mention that she recognizes him from Columbia.

When in the season will they actually meet, and will we get to see her face?

I don't know about this one. Ideally it'd be nice to see her and get to know her for at least an episode - maybe as part of a two-episode season/series finale. I don't want a lame flash-forward montage through their relationship where we see them having a whipped cream fight in the kitchen and reading on a blanket in Central Park while some weird indie song plays in the background.

But it'd be safe to just never show us her face (which would also explain why body doubles have been used thus far and why she apparently hasn't been cast yet) and make us take it at the show's word that they're made for each other, since anything less of an absolutely *perfect* casting is going to disappoint a ton of viewers. That scenario would also piss people off, of course, but I actually think it could be a nice ending if there's some fantastic writing to bring it home.

Do they still have enought left in them to pull that off, though? If this is the ending that they've been planning since Day One, I have some hope that it's pretty good, since it was likely all planned out before they blew their load in the early seasons and wound up with crap like "The Burning Beekeeper."

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

Can I speculate on something that has nothing to do with the mother?

How many slaps do we have left? one or two?

IF this is the last season and IF there is one slap left, I'm willing to put money on the idea that in the series finale Marshall slaps Barney to stop freaking out before the wedding. Which then calms him down and him and Robin get hitched.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

Can I speculate on something that has nothing to do with the mother?

How many slaps do we have left? one or two?

I think there are several. Wasn't Barney allowed to take off the ducky tie (when he had planned on meeting Nora's parents) in exchange for extra slaps.

I looked it up ... it looks like there are two left: http://en.wikipedia....isaster_Averted

IF this is the last season and IF there is one slap left, I'm willing to put money on the idea that in the series finale Marshall slaps Barney to stop freaking out before the wedding. Which then calms him down and him and Robin get hitched.

That'd be really funny :)

vienibenmio

vienibenmio

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

If they never show us the Mother's face, I will throw something at my TV. They've put her on this pedestal for so long, I want to see the actual woman with her flaws and foibles.

I still like the "Barney's half-sister" theory, although that probably won't be true because Ted would likely have met her at the actual wedding--assuming there is one, of course.

SydNC

SydNC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

In Girls vs Suits, Barney starts getting all touchy feely with Marshall's suit. Marshall slaps Barney to snap him out of it. That should have counted as one of the slaps, and Marshall should have one less than he thinks he does.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

In Girls vs Suits, Barney starts getting all touchy feely with Marshall's suit. Marshall slaps Barney to snap him out of it. That should have counted as one of the slaps, and Marshall should have one less than he thinks he does.

If a slap is given and there is no Slap Bet Commissioner around to witness it, does it still count? This conundrum has been keeping philosophers up nights pondering all the implications.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

If they end up going to season 9, how much do you want to bet that we'll meet her at the end of this season but she'll be wearing a big fat engagement ring?

scratcheyes

scratcheyes

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

mbd, I hope you mean a flash-forward and the big fat engagement ring is from Ted. Because if douchy-Ted breaks up ANOTHER couple to steal the girl for himself, I'll... well, I don't know what I'll do, but I know I won't like it.

Ted and Mother both need to be baggage-free. The last thing this show needs is another season of showing Ted and his "prize" trying to build a relationship on top of the shattered ruins of a previous one.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

mbd, I hope you mean a flash-forward and the big fat engagement ring is from Ted. Because if douchy-Ted breaks up ANOTHER couple to steal the girl for himself, I'll... well, I don't know what I'll do, but I know I won't like it.

Ted and Mother both need to be baggage-free. The last thing this show needs is another season of showing Ted and his "prize" trying to build a relationship on top of the shattered ruins of a previous one.

I meant it sarcastically, like, "Hey, we're finally meeting The Mother ... but, WHOOPS, she's already engaged! How is Ted going to work his way out of this one? See you in season 9, folks!" *gag gag gag*

Of course I don't want to see that happen. It's not really speaking well of their perfect love story if he winds up stealing yet another woman from some other dude. Plus I'm just tired of getting dicked around by the show in general and I'd like to see this whole thing wrap up sometime soon.

kfried

kfried

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

If they never show us the Mother's face, I will throw something at my TV. They've put her on this pedestal for so long, I want to see the actual woman with her flaws and foibles.

I said something similar in another thread before I realized it was better stated over here.

Ted said a long time ago (in the first ep, maybe?) that he was too close to the puzzle to see the pieces. Therefore, she needs to be somebody meaningful in some way. I feel like there's going to have to be an "aha" moment on Ted and the viewer's behalf. Otherwise, who really cares? I think this show needs to wrap it up this season and call it a night. My worse fear for it is some sort of lame final season about Ted and his new bride, absent Marshall and Lilly who have been inexplicably written off.

yargrnhoj

yargrnhoj

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

And he's also said that the kids already know the story about her yellow umbrella, so maybe it blows out of her hand at the train station (which would also dramatically reveal her face to the audience) and hits Ted. Or maybe she yet again leaves it behind and he goes after her to return it.

My speculation: Ted sees the yellow umbrella. Maybe he thinks it is Rachel Bilson (MothersLesbianRoommate). (Or maybe DoucheTed goes over because he wants his yellow umbrella back.) He goes over and calls out MothersLesbianRoommate's name (I ought to go back and find out the character's name) but the Mother turns around. He apologizes and says he thought she was someone else because of the umbrella and turns to go. She recognizes him. "Hey, you teach at Columbia, don't you. I was in one of your classes. Well, not really, you were in the wrong class." "You were there?" Blah, blah, Columbia. Mother asks why he called out MothersLesbianRoommate's name because she used to room with someone by that name. Ted tells of losing the umbrella. Mother comments on how her roommate told her about the guy who left it and how he was into all of the things Mother is into. Mother tells of leaving the umbrella at the St. Patrick's Day party. Flashback scene to the party and Mother brushing by Ted. Maybe she was with the guy whose name Ted was ordering drinks under.

Train comes, they sit together and talk heading back into the city.

"And that, kids, is How I Met Your Mother".

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

MLR's name is Cindy.

33clark33

33clark33

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

I hope she leaves the umbrella and Ted picks it up and chases her down. As he approaches her he trips and falls on her to catch his fall. He tackles her and they both fall into an oncoming train. They don't die instantly but suffer for maybe a year or so. Then we see that Ted is a ghost telling this awful lame ass story to his imaginary kids. Who in her right mind would marry a guy like Ted? I liked the first few seasons but it has totally sucked since. Just end it so we can all move on.

kfried

kfried

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

hope she leaves the umbrella and Ted picks it up and chases her down. As he approaches her he trips and falls on her to catch his fall. He tackles her and they both fall into an oncoming train. They don't die instantly but suffer for maybe a year or so. Then we see that Ted is a ghost telling this awful lame ass story to his imaginary kids. Who in her right mind would marry a guy like Ted? I liked the first few seasons but it has totally sucked since. Just end it so we can all move on.

Works for me. They could also explore the prospect of Ted and the mother NOT working out as a couple, and all this is just a bittersweet prelude to his announcement that he's actually wedding his best bro Barney. I am only sorta kidding with that one.

MidnightSociety

MidnightSociety

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

This may have been discussed in the past but I was rewatching older episodes and remembering happier days, and came across episode 3.12, the St. Patrick's day episode. There's a moment in the bar after Ted finds out his date is married where he goes to talk to Barney and runs into a brunette in a tie dye shirt and they have a brief, non-memorable interaction. It's probably too much to hope that she's the mother... but if this season gets too much worse, maybe I'll just stop watching and console myself with that theory!

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

ten to one they're rewriting a script to have them fall in love during Sandy.

mwitter2003

mwitter2003

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

I think the we will see her around Barney and Robin as they prepare for their wedding so the viewers understand how perfect she is for Ted and for the viewers to like her. In these scenes Ted will be somewhere else maybe helping Lilly and Marshal with Marvin. Honestly I don't know how they're expecting viewers to like the new character. I would assume the mother would be a perminate character.
Thats why I thought Ted and Robin would end up together. It's like the Ross, Rachel, and Joey situation on Friends. Putting Ross and Rachel together was what most of the viewers wanted to happen.

litania

litania

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

Is there still any chance Robin is the mother?

I mean, in theory, is it possible to have a big twist and make Robin the mother, while maintaining the coherence of this story?

rosetattoo

rosetattoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 3:15 AM

Is there still any chance Robin is the mother?

I mean, in theory, is it possible to have a big twist and make Robin the mother, while maintaining the coherence of this story?

There is absolutely no chance what-so-ever of Robin being the Mother

BartD

BartD

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

There is absolutely no chance what-so-ever of Robin being the Mother

Well, they could always pull up something from their behinds like stating those 2 kids are adopted, thus sidestepping the 'can't have babies' problem etc.; Even Ted calling her aunt Robin in the scenes with the kids can be retconned (they're trampling all over the history of HIMYM anyway)

However, that would be such atrocious writing and....oh, wait...

Edited by BartD, Nov 6, 2012 @ 7:23 AM.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 4:25 PM

Word. I know that there's no logical way that Robin can be The Mother, but the writing is so lazy and crappy at this point that I really wouldn't be surprised if they just pulled some kind of stunt to get it to actually be her. Like Future Ted saying to the kids, "Oh, wait, I got the year/her name/some details wrong, sorry" or even "I was fooling you this whole time. It was Robin after all. Haha!"

mwitter2003

mwitter2003

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

Is it possible Victoria will learn about Robin and Barney getting married, realize Robin and Ted will never happen, volunteer to bake for the wedding to see Ted, and Ted METS Victoria again? Making Victoria the mother. It would make sense to re-introduce Victoria in a attempt to make the viewers like her for ratings and to please fans of the final outcome. Does anyone know how many episodes Ashley Williams signed for? If she hasn't been in all her episodes she's signed for, that may expose the plot.

Edited by mwitter2003, Nov 7, 2012 @ 2:29 PM.