TV Bigshot: Making TV Work For You

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2306 replies to this topic

AuntMizbehavn

AuntMizbehavn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 11:07 AM

I'm not so sure that these first round games of the NCAA tourney will impact this week's Lost as it is the last new episode to air until the end of April. So I'm sure many of us "Losties" will be tuned in as per usual.

holly96

holly96

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 3:05 PM

I actually tried to research how well the NCAA tourney usually does, and though I didn't spend much time on it, concluded that the first round, at least, would get lower ratings than what the normal Thursday night CBS lineup has been getting. Friday and Saturday the tourney would do better than the normal lineup. Now, whether that means other shows could actually do better on Thursday, I don't know.

Edited by holly96, Mar 19, 2008 @ 3:05 PM.

TWoP Tech

TWoP Tech

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 5:09 PM

pretzelgirl, what you've uncovered is a difference in how TVBigshot and TVbytheNumbers rounds the ratings data we each receive. AFHV had a 4.15 HH rating, which we rounded up to 4.2, while TVbytheNumbers reported it as 4.1. B&TG had a 1.35 rating, which we rounded up to 1.4. Eli Stone had a 4.55 rating, which we rounded up to 4.6.

pretzelgirl

pretzelgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 5:18 PM

Thank you, Tech, for the info!

TVbytheNumbers

TVbytheNumbers

Channel Surfer

• Interests:http://www.tvbythenumbers.com

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 9:09 PM

pretzelgirl, what you've uncovered is a difference in how TVBigshot and TVbytheNumbers rounds the ratings data we each receive. AFHV had a 4.15 HH rating, which we rounded up to 4.2, while TVbytheNumbers reported it as 4.1. B&TG had a 1.35 rating, which we rounded up to 1.4. Eli Stone had a 4.55 rating, which we rounded up to 4.6.

That is interesting. We don't do any rounding of HH rating numbers ourselves. The data that we see from Nielsen has only one significant digit for HH rating [i.e. 0.0], so presumably Nielsen is doing that rounding, and perhaps based on what TWoP Tech posted, they may be doing it wrong! ;)

suzyq8017

suzyq8017

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 10:52 PM

Omigosh, I am SUCH a dork. I forgot to go back and sell things last night so I lost a gob of money! I hate making mistakes like that. Harumph!

candycanecrawl

candycanecrawl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2008 @ 11:36 PM

TWOP Tech I hope this isn't the beginning of a return to the bad old days. I was able to get into the site but when I put in the username and password for three of my networks, instead of my lineups it said that I hadn't bought any shows which, um so not true.

I tried using both Mozilla and IE, the ip beginning with 67 and just typing in tvbigshot.com directly. I had trouble accessing the site last week, but was able to do so with the ip address and the lineups were fine.

Edited by candycanecrawl, Mar 20, 2008 @ 11:41 PM.

TWoP Tech

TWoP Tech

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 21, 2008 @ 2:26 PM

candycanecrawl, if you're still having troubles, please e-mail TVBigshotTech@nbcuni.com with the details, including your network name. Thanks.

Mr SFTV

Mr SFTV

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 21, 2008 @ 3:31 PM

CBS has officialy indicated that the upcoming finale for Jericho is the series finale, effectively canceling the series.

Will the end of the show be handled like was done with Journeyman with the show being marked canceled after the final episode has aired?

vibri2001

vibri2001

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 21, 2008 @ 4:30 PM

If that happens will other series also be cancelled when the series ends? It was my understanding that 'cancelling' (including losing any money for the game purposes) was mainly for series not doing well and cut off in the middle of the season. This season was planned on being the last for many shows (ER, Scrubs, According to Jim) so would those have been marked cancelled also when indeed they were ended?

I ask this because Jericho was only brought back for the 7-8 episodes this season. There was an option if it did well to renew it for another season but I believe the primary plan was to end the series and not leave it with a cliffhanger.

candycanecrawl

candycanecrawl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 21, 2008 @ 9:32 PM

Wouldn't it be like Big Shots? There was a possibility of renewal for Jericho no matter how slim, but now its status is official. Scrubs I think has the possibility of being picked up by a different network. And I believe ER has been given another season. I think those shows otherwise would have gone on hiatus if there hasn't been an announcement by then end of their run of episodes.

Or maybe it's like Girlfriends which still seemed to be active after it was announced that it wouldn't be coming back. I had Jericho on a couple of nets and dumped it just to be on the safe side.

Thanks TWOP Tech whatever the problem was I didn't have it today.

TsMom

TsMom

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2008 @ 12:46 AM

I assume "Jericho" will fall under the definition of an announced cancellation. From a post in the Known TV BigShot Issues on Dec 13 from TWOPTech.

Announced Cancellation:
If a show's cancellation is announced ahead of time but new episodes are still scheduled to air post-announcement, then that show will remain active until new episodes finish airing. The show will be marked as cancelled at 12pm EST the day after its final new episode airs.

An example of this is Journeyman: NBC has not ordered more episodes, and media outlets are reporting that the show is finished. But new episodes are still set to air. Therefore, Journeyman will not be marked as cancelled until noon EST the day after its final new episode.

(some deleted)

If the strike hadn't occurred, the same rule would have applied to Scrubs, which was supposed to have been in its final season. At noon following its series finale, it would have been marked as cancelled. Now only time will tell if that scenario comes to pass. If Scrubs runs out of new episodes due to the strike, but its future on is still open, then it will remain active.

When it was announced that CW Now would be ending I e-mailed TWOPTech and asked if the "announced cancellation" rule would still apply, and s/he replied yes, and that it would apply to other shows in the situation as well.

I'll use quarterlife as the comparison. It aired once, and after the ratings came out it was pulled from the schedule and replaced by something else. Jericho is being handled like Journeyman. The final episodes are airing and then the series is over. Now, if for some reason CBS decides to not run the last episode, then it would be an abrupt cancellation. I think we've been lucky this year was a strike year. I think that the strike prevented some shows from being pulled from the air because there was nothing to replace them with.

editing to add: The situation with Girlfriends is slightly different. There is talk that the cast might come together for one last wrap up show. It was announced it wouldn't be coming back very near the last airing, perhaps even after (like Las Vegas). It was also announced that there might be a wrap up episode after the strike ended. That's why I've assumed it's still active.

Edited by TsMom, Mar 22, 2008 @ 12:55 AM.

Davidbalto

Davidbalto

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 22, 2008 @ 12:47 AM

IMO Jericho should have already been marked as cancelled. If the rules are completely subjective they are not fair. If the rules favor those who can constantly check news and update their networks it is less fun. Big Shots and Quarterlife were cancelled and taken out of the game immediately yet Girlfriends and Jericho were not. So it seems that if it is an existing series' last season you can buy and sell it to take advantage of the series finale but if it's a new show you can't.

As I understand the thinking of the games creators and managers they wanted players to get stuck with cancelled shows. I don't think it makes sense to just apply strict standards to new shows. It is also not clear in the rules that only first season shows would be immediately taken out of gameplay.

Anyway, I do not think the game should try to stick players with cancelled shows in this manner. Shows status should be changed with the Wednesday update based on the previous week's news and should not be cancelled if new episodes are scheduled to air.

I guess I'm still bitter about the voided weeks and being slow to figure out the buy/sell twice a week strategy so I'm sorry about complaining, I think I feel better now.

sl2266

sl2266

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2008 @ 7:15 AM

Are there any magazine points this week?

pretzelgirl

pretzelgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2008 @ 10:31 AM

I think the magazine points are: How I Met Your Mother, Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives, if the newstand copies are the same as the subscriber's copies.

holly96

holly96

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2008 @ 1:26 PM

I don't think it makes sense to just apply strict standards to new shows. It is also not clear in the rules that only first season shows would be immediately taken out of gameplay.

The strict standards apply to all shows, not just new ones. It just that new shows are the ones most likely to get abruptly yanked.

Edited by holly96, Mar 22, 2008 @ 2:01 PM.

candycanecrawl

candycanecrawl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2008 @ 10:41 PM

I get the difference now. I got stuck with quarterlife even though I do keep up with the entertainment news almost daily. I am required occassionally to actually work when I am at work and that was a really busy week . So now, I am totally gun shy.

I would like to pick-up the Jericho finale, but am parnoid that something will happen and I won't get around to dropping it in time or CBS will decide to slot something in at the last minute. I don't think they will, but once bitten and all that.

Edited by candycanecrawl, Mar 22, 2008 @ 10:44 PM.

pretzelgirl

pretzelgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 23, 2008 @ 5:46 AM

candycanecrawl, you only have to hold a show until Monday morning. The game won't cancel Jericho until after it airs. So you can buy Jericho and cancel it on Monday afternoon and still have plenty of time to avoid the cancellation.

candycanecrawl

candycanecrawl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 23, 2008 @ 8:23 PM

oh yes, pretzelgirl, I know I can drop the show at 12:01am Monday morning, but sometimes the best laid plans, or you know pain in the ass employers and work impinging on my tv bigshot playing time...so I decided to split the difference and not add it to all nets in case I am not able to get rid of it in time.

pretzelgirl

pretzelgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 24, 2008 @ 6:10 AM

12:01? You're much braver than I am, candycanecrawl! I'm worried about bugs in the system so I always make a spreadsheet of each week's lineups and don't switch them till later on Monday, just in case. Also, I think the deadline has moved later, to 12 midnight Pacific time, so if you're not on the West Coast, make sure you hold those picks until at least 3:01am!

candycanecrawl

candycanecrawl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 2:26 AM

I am on the west coast, but 12:01 was a bit of an exaggeration acknowledging that I know we don't have to hold onto the shows after Sunday. I agree about being worried about glitches. In the early days that worry is one of the reason I didn't start doing the Tues. drop for money. I didn't trust that I wouldn't get screwed somehow, then we lost three weeks of points.

I was keeping a spreadsheet, but stopped a couple of weeks ago and probably won't so much anymore. Multiple nets were sort of fun before, but now are a bit of a chore.

Are people still winning ipods, no one has mentioned it lately and some of the eligible people were posting. Was the question of whether or not multiple ipods would be awarded to the same person ever answered.

I seem to remember Infinitude mentioning that he had been contacted about an Ipod in the beginning.

Mr SFTV

Mr SFTV

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 10:48 AM

In regards to the showdowns, Indy TV is shown as the winner of the last three showdowns and looks to be the winner this month (next week's update will go towards the April showdown).

Viewer Select TV is holding on to the top, though, and Indy TV didn't gain much this week, so with more new shows coming back next week, there is still some strategy left in this game.

My score for the week was third or fourth, even though the networks above me all likely have more cash. NOT buying Dancing with the Stars the first couple of weeks was definitely a good choice. Definitely gained on network #6, Pick TV.

Wembly81

Wembly81

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 11:22 AM

I think for the first time in ages, maybe ever, I out played Indy. Still have very little hope actually scoring an iPod, but it does show he's not infallible.

Though, considering I was just mugged, and lost my previous iPod, I really should be working my ass off to try to do it!

Edited by Wembly81, Mar 26, 2008 @ 11:24 AM.

Mr SFTV

Mr SFTV

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 12:41 PM

It loooks like Gimmickz had the best score of the week (barring any magazine points). Not completely sure if its because you have more money or just make some different choices that paid off.

FYI, Jericho is now marked as cancelled. I looked at the most recent buyers and as I've noticed before, people just coming into the game have no clue what they are doing. TREAL TV (http://tvbigshot.com/network/33587/) just joined on March 24th and bought Jericho. They also bought Bones which hasn't aired in a slot that counts for months. And Shadows (http://tvbigshot.com/network/33592/) also joined on 3/24 and bought Jericho and somehow managed to buy Scrubs, even though it is marked as notify.

CK17

CK17

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 1:32 PM

Nice job Wembly, good to see someone from the boards be on top even if it's just for a week. Hopefully you'll get an Ipod.

I was 5th again this week, making it 4 weeks in row being #5 for the showdown. Hopefully when all the new shows pick back up and I crack the top 4 networks which seem untouchable right now.

Edited by CK17, Mar 26, 2008 @ 1:32 PM.

Wembly81

Wembly81

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 2:00 PM

It's definitely the money, trust me. I just never imagined how much the money would matter. Indy has had 30-40 mil more than me for a long time (even though I thought I would gain by making some finale sacrifices, so he's clearly a really good buyer and seller, not even wasting those 1 mil sell costs), and with this much money, everyone who has enough will gain an equal amount each week.

Back when we couldn't buy everything new (or almost everything new) I often made bad choices. This week I apparently did a little better, but I think it was more just a couple poor choices by Indy. Not enough to make any serious gains, though.

I'm really sad for people coming into the game now. I guess it could still be fun, but it's just down to such a calculation for me right now, with these rules that make anyone even a little behind able to catch up virtually impossible, that I think they would be really frustrated and never come back.

The game really, really needs to have mini prizes for each week and showdown beyond the 1st place winner in order to keep interest up. I keep saying - TWOP tee shirts. Glarkware. Costs them so little and will really keep interest alive week by week.

tvgr8

tvgr8

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 2:40 PM

I am suprised by how many people keep signing up. Obviously by signing up now, you will not win any of the prizes, but people all still having fun, maybe playing against their friends in their own little competition. Next year there will be a lot of awareness of the game and I expect the competition to really heat up.

Congrats Wembly on winning the week and not giving up. You never know when Indy or VSTV might make a huge mistake or miss an update, Infinitude missed an update and he was only behind VSTV by 30-40 points at the time and he was gone. (No Offense to IndyTV, VSTV or Infinitude).

iarockstar

iarockstar

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 3:10 PM

Whoo hooo. Finally cracked the top 50 and moved to 48. I had been steady in the mid 50s for several weeks and never thought I'd make it into the 40s. I guess people in the top are finally getting bored and moving on.

pretzelgirl

pretzelgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 4:46 PM

I know how you feel, iarockstar. I finally made it to 99th place today. I had been in the top 100 in the showdown for awhile but it took forever to finally reach double digits in the actual place ranking for the game.

tvgr8

tvgr8

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 12:13 PM

It's nice to see some of the old shows coming back this week. This should be an interesting week.