TV Bigshot: Making TV Work For You

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2306 replies to this topic

Joe R

Joe R

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 1:38 PM

It's brand new and exciting! Talk about TV Bigshot here.

Note: if you have any questions about the game, here's where you can ask them, at least for now. I may end up setting up a dedicated Q&A thread, we'll see.

lilserf

lilserf

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 1:50 PM

You may need a TV Bigshot bug thread -- there's already a few things piling up in the non-forum bug thread (http://forums.televi...n...5385&st=420 has a couple) that are TV Bigshot-specific.

Edited by lilserf, Sep 17, 2007 @ 1:51 PM.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 1:52 PM

I can't submit my network! I've tried on both of my browsers, but it's not working.

Joe R

Joe R

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 1:53 PM

For right now, I'm going to say hold tight. It's going up across a bunch of servers right now, so it's not showing up for everyone quite yet, so if you're having problems, maybe try again in an hour. First day. Lots to work though.

lilserf

lilserf

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 1:55 PM

Heck, just having a TV Bigshot section probably solves half of what I was talking about anyway. I was unsure where to post before.

Ashiva

Ashiva

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Gossip Girl, Friday Night Lights, Skins, BSG, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Asian dramas, vidding, fanart

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 2:55 PM

Only for US citizens? Boo for that rule.

lokison

lokison

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 3:21 PM

TV Bigshot won't let me stay logged in. It boots me out when I try to look at a show or buy a show.

Joe R

Joe R

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 3:29 PM

Yeah, that's been happening to several people (me included) and is being worked on. Thanks!

mynamehere

mynamehere

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 4:32 PM

How come some of the shows with a status of Hiatus will let you buy them, while others say "notify"?

Joe R

Joe R

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 4:41 PM

By and large, the shows with "Notify" buttons are either shows set to return/premiere at mid-season or shows that are set to return/premiere longer than two weeks from now. The exception to that seems to be shows that are airing reruns this/next week but then don't return with new shows for some time. I wouldn't buy those anyway, because they're only in reruns right now.

kafski

kafski

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 4:44 PM

I bought two shows, but can't buy any more shows. I have enough in my budget, but the "buy" buttons are gone.

I'm in Firefox.

lilserf

lilserf

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 5:02 PM

Log in again on the SHOWS page, kafski... it sometimes takes many tries before I get the BUY button. And as Joe said, they're working on that.

kafski

kafski

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 5:04 PM

Thank you, lilserf!!

I thought I had logged back in, but I clicked something and that logged me back out.

Edit: now I have the buy buttons, but they don't do anything. I click on them and I get logged out and taken to the home page.

I hope the bugs get worked out soon. This looks like a lot of fun.

Edited by kafski, Sep 17, 2007 @ 5:08 PM.

Joe R

Joe R

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 6:45 PM

I know, right? This all seems to stem from the same spontaneous logout problem, so hopefully once that gets fixed the rest will fall in line. They're working on it.

puckish

puckish

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 7:03 PM

What does the Season Rank reflect right now? I'm ranked at 39/502. Does that mean I'm the 39th person to sign up out of 502 people, or what? And will that rank reflect how well my network is actually doing once the TV season gets going?

RoxieVelma

RoxieVelma

Fanatic

• Interests:http://myspace.com/roxievelma<br />http://lifetimemovieaddikt.blogspot.com

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 8:21 PM

What does the Season Rank reflect right now? I'm ranked at 39/502. Does that mean I'm the 39th person to sign up out of 502 people, or what?

I'm pretty sure that's correct because mine says 580/618 because when I first started working on it, it said 580/580.

I have the distinct feeling I'll be no better at this than I am at HSX, but I'll have fun anyway.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 8:27 PM

Oh I suck at it as well.

Edited by Puds38, Sep 17, 2007 @ 9:08 PM.

Tyo

Tyo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 8:38 PM

Is there an option for non-US citizens to play the game without actually competing for the prizes?

Red Snapper

Red Snapper

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 8:48 PM

Is there an option for non-US citizens to play the game without actually competing for the prizes?

Eff that! I want the prizes! I was really looking forward to this! All summer! Why can't Canadians do anything, ever? Can't try out for Survivor or the Amazing Race....

(Deep breath)

Sorry for the outburst. But... this blows.

chimaera

chimaera

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 9:01 PM

The site won't let me change my network logo at all (and I'm currently trying to use one of the Tubey avatars). I'm not too bothered by this or anything, but I thought I'd give you guys a heads-up in case someone else runs into this problem.

Also, the how-to says we can't buy shows on hiatus, yet we have that option? Is it OK to go ahead and buy them, or will that screw things up?

Edited by chimaera, Sep 17, 2007 @ 9:01 PM.

Joe R

Joe R

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 9:12 PM

1) Obviously with no one having any points Season Rank means nothing. (For God's sake don't tell Glark I said that; he's so proud of his "Capital Knockers" team being ranked 1st.) If you end up tied with someone else at the end, there are tiebreakers in place and "Who signed up first" isn't one of them, don't worry.

2) The Canadian ineligibility is doubtless a legal thing and thus well above my pay grade, but I do sympathize.

3) Not being able to change your avatar or otherwise edit your profile is, I suspect, tied to the same spontaneous logout problem. I can't edit my profile yet either. I'll let you know once it's fixed.

EDIT: I was actually just able to edit my own profile, which is a change from this afternoon. Looks positive.

netsirk

netsirk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 9:46 PM

Joe R - I'm not actually playing the game but I was checking out the home page and I think you're missing a work in the "Manage" description. It says "Buy and sell shows while keeping an on other top networks..." (emphasis added). I'm thinking you're missing the word "eye"?

I hope this is the right place to post - if not, just let me know and I'll move it!

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

• Interests:All things TV.

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 10:09 PM

The blog links don't work for me. If I click "Wait...how did I get all these points?" I get the entry "On When Your Shows Start Accumulating Points" and no way to navigate to past entries. The link "blogs" on top gives me a page cannot be displayed. I just want to read about how to earn points! Haha, hopefully it'll all be fixed soon. But so far this game looks awesome.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

• Interests:Being TWoP Howard

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 10:20 PM

On the main TV BigShot page, in the BigShot Blog section at the bottom, all three links lead to the same post, "On When Your Shows Start Accumulating Points," even though they have three different titles.

Okay, Spy Idol beat me to it. But I was able to get to all those different blog posts by using the Blog link in the page header. It's just the teaser links in the bottom that gave me the problem above.

Edited by Orion7, Sep 17, 2007 @ 10:29 PM.

puckish

puckish

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 11:07 PM

Is there a way to tell if you're on someone else's spy list?

Care Bear Love

Care Bear Love

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 1:16 AM

Is there anyway to earn more money for your budget? I'm assuming not as I couldn't find it in the FAQs or the Rules but I thought I'd ask...

Oh, and if the changes to your lineup aren't effective until the following Sunday, can I buy on Monday and dump on Tuesday without losing the mil?

Edited by Care Bear Love, Sep 18, 2007 @ 1:19 AM.

mynamehere

mynamehere

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 4:51 AM

So am I correct to assume that the prices of shows are going to change each weeked based on ratings?

Lara_2113

Lara_2113

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 5:47 AM

I can't get my avatar to show up yet either.

And the 'Last Air Date' for all of my shows is listed as 12/31/69. Granted, it feels like it's been that long since the season finale...

Edited by Lara_2113, Sep 18, 2007 @ 5:48 AM.

Captain Black

Captain Black

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 8:29 AM

Yeah, I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed by this too, it looks good fun.

shashae

shashae

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 8:41 AM

There are several shows premeiring next week (or in the case of Prison Break already have) that can't be bought, only Notified.
-Dancing with the Stars (9/24)
-How I Met Your Mother (9/24)
-Heroes (9/24)
-Journeyman (9/24)
-Prison Break

Will those be released to buy before the deadline on Sunday? (Clearly I can't afford them all but those are the ones I noticed.)

Also, for shows that air more than once a week, like Dancing with the Stars, do we get points for both airings?