ACTOR: Neil Patrick Harris

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

310 replies to this topic

HooDoll

HooDoll

Video Archivist

• Interests:As far as TV goes: 30 Rock, The Office, Scrubs, How I Met Your Mother, Project Runway, Arrested Development, So You Think You Can Dance?, Spaced, Three Sheets, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, X-Files, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The People's Court, Judge Judy, PTI, SportsCenter

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 11:00 PM

He needs a subtitle! Folks, help me out! I would like it to be NPH related, more than Barney-related, one would think, right?

Anyway, wanted to start this thread to say that I was sad that he didn't win the Best Supporting Actor Emmy (even though it was a long shot).

I found it odd, yet hilarious that when he presented an Emmy w/Hayden Panetiere (sp?) that he was in Barney character (joke about her "being 18", and staring at her boobs). To people who know about NPH or his character, I found it quite funny, but I'd have to imagine that the average person not familiar with either would just think he was being sleazy.

For those who didn't see, his joke was about her turning 18 "and you know what that means... new VOTER!". Obviously the delivery was better than I can type it.

Edited by HooDoll, Sep 16, 2007 @ 11:01 PM.

Boof

Boof

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 11:05 PM

Yeah, I'm bummed he lost, especially to Piven. Being an Office fan, I was pulling for Rainn, but a part of me wanted NPH and HIMYM to get that exposure. But a nomination does help the cause!

He gave a good interview with Kristen on E! in the red carpet coverage. Glad he got some good press coverage from this nomination--it can only help and the show.

zekeburger

zekeburger

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 12:26 PM

Subtitle suggestion: You know him as..wait for it..Doogie!

Out of the 5 nominees in easily the best category of the night, I think NPH should have won. More than the other 4, if you take NPH out of HIMYM, the show isn't anywhere near as good and funny as it is.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 3:33 PM

Not to be argumentative, but that doesn't ring true for me. I know him from a number of stage shows and other TV and film appearances by now. He deserves to be freed from the Doogie association. (I highly recommend the Assassins revival cast recording for his contribution; I think he was robbed of an award there too, as he was up for a Tony for Best Supporting and lost to someone else in the same cast.)

LoveThursdays

LoveThursdays

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 4:39 PM

Ok Neil rocks, I happened to find the EW party the night before the emmy's and just as I got there he pulled up (driving himself) in his Prius. Got out and chatted with the crowd of us standing there.

AT the Emmy's I had bleacher seats, and when he arrived he came over and chatted with people calling out to him. He stayed for a bit waved, and let people take pics of him.

The I went to the ET/People party last night and he was there again, he was very nice and chatty. Overall he seems like a very nice person.

Oh and yes, people called him Doogie, LOL I felt bad for him.

adri278

adri278

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 7:43 PM

Some pics of Neil with Hayden Panettiere presenting and backstage at the Emmys.

angora

angora

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 8:06 PM

Not to be argumentative, but that doesn't ring true for me. I know him from a number of stage shows and other TV and film appearances by now. He deserves to be freed from the Doogie association. (I highly recommend the Assassins revival cast recording for his contribution; I think he was robbed of an award there too, as he was up for a Tony for Best Supporting and lost to someone else in the same cast.)

Actually, he wasn't nominated for Assassins - it was Michael Cerveris and Denis O'Hare, with Cerveris winning for his performance as Booth.

Such a shame about NPH. Jeremy Piven just makes me so mad. At least NPH got in a good joke with the "18 = new voter" bit. All poor Hugh Laurie got to say was, "Here are the nominees for best..." Oh, well. Neil will get them back by being awesome this fall.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 10:45 PM

Actually, he wasn't nominated for Assassins

Right you are. I'm ashamed of myself -- I usually can trust my memory of award-type stuff, but I recalled that entirely wrong. (I even remembered myself hoping he'd win while watching the show, which I can't have done!) Well, he was wonderful, and he is on the recording.

Pheebs16

Pheebs16

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 5:55 AM

I found it odd, yet hilarious that when he presented an Emmy w/Hayden Panetiere (sp?) that he was in Barney character (joke about her "being 18", and staring at her boobs). To people who know about NPH or his character, I found it quite funny, but I'd have to imagine that the average person not familiar with either would just think he was being sleazy.

Yeah, my mom was watching the Emmys with me, and I was laughing at his 18 joke, and she was like, "How is that funny? He's a guy in his 30's hitting on an 18 year old!" I had to explain to her about Barney, and how NPH was most definitely not hitting on her, and she got it. Heh, but I liked his "NEW VOTER!" thing.

If anyone's interested, NPH's appearance on Ellen is here. Cute interview.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 2:03 PM

Video interview with NPH at TV Guide (a tad spoilery).

gazebogrl

gazebogrl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 12:30 PM

My God! NPH got nice abs and stomach and chest! Didn't realise that until this past Monday's episode! NPH is made of AWESOME!

TravelMug

TravelMug

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2007 @ 4:38 PM

People.

Allow me to brighten your day as mine has already been brightened.

A movie poster for Harold and Kumar 2 --

What Would NPH Do?

(The movie is apparently titled Harold and Kumar 2: Escape from Guantanamo Bay. You can visit the official website by going to (what else?) whatwouldnphdo.com).

Edited by TravelMug, Oct 24, 2007 @ 4:40 PM.

snoopyiscool

snoopyiscool

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 28, 2007 @ 8:38 PM

What would Neil Patrick Harris do? Be awesome.

Paul Servo

Paul Servo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2007 @ 11:26 AM

Allow me to brighten your day as mine has already been brightened.

A movie poster for Harold and Kumar 2 --

What Would NPH Do?

That poster is Legen..........wait for it.....dary.

NPH was one of the reasons I wanted to watch this show (Allision Hannigan being the other). Thought he was funny in HAROLD&KUMAR and UNDERCOVER BROTHER. While I am a fan of The Piven, I thought NPH deserved the Emmy.

Looking at his performance on HIMYM and H&K, you'd think he's being put into Vince Vaughn type roles (Trent in SWINGERS was a characture of himself and 98% of his roles since have been variations of that role. The above mentioned Piven also has that [for lack of a better word] 'stigma']). Basically it's hard to imagine that he's not like that because he's so convincing at it. It really shows the quality of an actor he is that he can pull that off. And thus deserved the Emmy more because of that.

I have to also ape what has been said up thread about him personally. When I was in Vegas after graduating college (1998), my friends that I were with told me when I got back from getting chips that I missed NPH who they told me was drunk. Being the type of guys they were, they chanted "Dooooogie." He was said to have laughed it off and took it in stride.

Edited by Paul Servo, Oct 31, 2007 @ 4:44 PM.

GenieinTX

GenieinTX

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2007 @ 1:22 PM

NPH's Halloween costume. Dude, that is scary!

OraBrooch

OraBrooch

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2007 @ 2:10 PM

It's totally awesome. And even better in the full-length shot. Clown suit up!

adri278

adri278

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2007 @ 5:56 PM

Those contacts he's wearing are freaky!

ETA: Hee, here's a pic of Neil and Josh. Wonder what Josh is supposed to be?

Edited by adri278, Oct 29, 2007 @ 5:58 PM.

OraBrooch

OraBrooch

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2007 @ 7:34 PM

Wonder what Josh is supposed to be?

I'm pretty sure he's Jermaine from Flight of the Conchords.

Edited by OraBrooch, Oct 29, 2007 @ 7:37 PM.

adri278

adri278

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2007 @ 10:57 PM

Wonder what Josh is supposed to be?

I'm pretty sure he's Jermaine from Flight of the Conchords.

Ah, yes! That's awesome!!

llyan

llyan

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 31, 2007 @ 9:15 PM

If anyone's near a tv, Neil's on the Food Network right now, giving Robert Irvine a hand in the kitchen. They're catering a magician convention on Dinner: Impossible.

Edited by llyan, Oct 31, 2007 @ 9:17 PM.

Toast8

Toast8

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 6:59 PM

I went to Bronners today (for those that don't know, it's a huge Christmas store in Frankenmuth, MI) and on every conceivable inch of wall space, they have photos of all the famous people that have come in. So I am standing there waiting to get something personalized and what do I see? A picture of Neil Patrick Harris! It was taken in July 2006 and it was kind of a candid shot (he had his arm up so I couldn't tell if he was posing or didn't want his picture taken). But I thought it was cool as hell.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2007 @ 4:28 PM

Hey, NPH is on Wheel of Fortune tonight! (It's sort of a "celebrity partners" edition.)

adri278

adri278

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2007 @ 7:10 PM

Hey, NPH is on Wheel of Fortune tonight! (It's sort of a "celebrity partners" edition.)

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to watch!

Drew T.

Drew T.

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2007 @ 12:33 AM

I sadly missed it but I heard about it, and I'm sorry I missed it. Glad to hear that his team did so well and that he was able to help out in the end.

This guy has such a bright future once he stops acting. He's got unbelievable charisma, and he seems genuinely likable, which is really refreshing.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2007 @ 6:42 PM

I saw this posted on www.unitedhollywood.com, from an email describing went on earlier this week when Neil Patrick Harris hosted the LA Stage Alliance Ovation awards earlier this week. I think this sounds pretty funny, and like the emailer, I too hope for some video on YouTube.

Kate emailed this account of Monday night's LA Stage Alliance Ovation Awards.
Neil Patrick Harris hosted the evening. He came out onstage, started reading from some 3x5 index cards and halfway through the sentence, "Last night I was just thinking..." he stopped and looked really confused. He turned the card over. Checked his pockets. And then shouted into the wings his card was blank and he didn't know what to say next. Out walked a red shirted writer carrying a WGA strike sign and the whole place errupted into applause. Neil Patrick tried to carry on, calling on some dancers to vamp as he tried to come up with some material. I wish I had my camera at the ready. It was priceless. Keep your eyes peeled! Hopefully something will show up on YouTube or Flickr!
Fight on!
Kate

RyanCrowell

RyanCrowell

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2007 @ 9:31 PM

Neil was one of the outside reporters for the CBS Thanksgiving Parade this year, just like last year.

He is very good at this type of presenting. Very glib but he doesn't act too smarmy. I hope he gets some good talk show work eventually.

dealan

dealan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2008 @ 12:13 PM

Guys, MSN is streaming S1 of Doogie Howser and in the pilot episode, Baby!NPH suits up, blogs about his day, and has a pant alarm that goes off when he kisses girls. It's so cute.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2008 @ 10:16 PM

He is very good at this type of presenting. Very glib but he doesn't act too smarmy. I hope he gets some good talk show work eventually.

Coincidentally (I hadn't read this thread in a while), with the news that The Mole (civilian version) is being brought back, but obviously will have to find someone in place of Anderson Cooper as host... NPH occurred to me as a good close equivalent. (I mentioned it in the thread for that show.)

Naturally he's not available for it, but it's the kind of work he'd do well: he can be formal and dignified when that's called for, but also loose and snarky as needed; as with AC his humor is all the funnier for popping out of an apparently dignified exterior. I'm having trouble thinking of anybody else who'd be as good a match for the job.

SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2008 @ 9:03 PM

You do realize there probably was some...wait for it...snark in that subtitle suggestion.

I mean to the mass audiences NPH will ALWAYS be Doogie Howser, M.D. the way Alyson will always be BTVS's Willow or "that band geek chick in American Pie" (I know her name in the movie was Michelle, but I'm trying to make a point that most people probably don't know her character's name, just what her character was) to the same masses, so that is where the joke comes in, and why the original HIMYM thread was called "Doogie's and Willow's New Show."

And yeah, I do agree that actors should be free of the shackles of one particularly famous character, or character type, but that is a different argument than what role said actor should be best known for.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2008 @ 1:02 PM

Although I was a Doogie fan back in the day, I honestly don't remember the show very well. I certainly don't think "Doogie" when I see Barney. But then again, I don't know NPH from anything besides Doogie either. I really need to check out some other things he has done.