Robin Scherbatsky: Will Rock Your Body Till Canada Day

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

83 replies to this topic

vivaldi

vivaldi

Video Archivist

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 4:26 PM

I responded in the other thread, but I'll post my post here too:

I believe her quote may have had more to do with random guys than just the regular cast of males.

This season, whatever the plot point was, Robin was being thrown at a guy. Naked Guy, Ted's Assistant, Poetry-Waxing dude, etc. It didn't really advance Robin as a character in any way, like it sometimes did in the past.

I took her quote as regarding that - not necessarily Ted and Barney.

Shattered

Shattered

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 5:37 PM

I can kinda see where her quote was coming from. Robin this season, more than the previous three, was hooking up with quite a few random men, and showed more of a desire to meet and hook up with men. On top of that, she's also slept with the entire available male regular cast. The only regular male she hasn't slept with is Marshall, and he's married. I think it's the combination of the randoms as well as both Barney and Ted that she is referring to, because the two piled on top of each other seems worse than each would individually would.

jkalderash

jkalderash

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 7:10 PM

Also, if she's referring to Ted and Barney - which I don't think she is - Robin has been bouncing back and forth between the two quite a bit. Dating Ted, nearly seeing Barney's birthday suit, seriously dating Ted, breaking up with Ted, sleeping with Ted, sleeping with Barney, sleeping with Ted again, kissing Barney - she just can't seem to get away from those two!

Enigma13

Enigma13

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 9:18 PM

all the while throwing hints at Barney that maybe she might be interested in him (I'm thinking of Shelter Island and The Possimpible here)

I wouldn't even venture as far as to say that she was throwing hints at Barney "all the while", because those are just two examples almost 10 episodes apart (and I agree with SI, but can't think of anything from the Possimpible). We didn't get Robin's actual point of view on Barney until the finale-- the entire storyline has been told from Barney's POV-- and that's a major weakness of that plot, IMO. I couldn't tell if Robin even knew that Barney has been into her all year, let alone whether she felt the same way.

This season, whatever the plot point was, Robin was being thrown at a guy. Naked Guy, Ted's Assistant, Poetry-Waxing dude, etc. It didn't really advance Robin as a character in any way, like it sometimes did in the past.

I agree. Robin's hookups with all three of those guys basically just acted as punchlines (especially PJ and Stan). And I also remember her story about sleeping with some guy at the UN-- yet another punchline.

And sure, we can speculate that she was going nuts with the one-night stands because she was lonely and depressed at having no job...but to me it just felt like they were trying to Barney-fy her, to make it seem more plausible that she and Barney suited each other. Robin's character this season just seemed to devolve into a caricature. (Actually, I feel like this about all the major characters, but this isn't the place for that.)

SwtSassyMolassy

SwtSassyMolassy

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 10:43 PM

Speaking of Robin hitting on Barney, don't forget how she was rubbing his leg and hanging all over him in "The Fight"... Ted got beat up too, but she was throwing herself at Barney, not Ted, until Marshall ratted him out... she would've slept with him, I'm sure, if Marshall hadn't ruined it. And then I wonder where they'd be or if sleeping with her then would've ruined everything?

I agree that Robin's feelings for Barney sort of came out of the blue in "The Leap"... I mean, it's clear she has SOME kind of feelings for him... she clearly must find him attractive to have slept with him in the first place back in "Sandcastles in the Sand", even if she did do that because she was feeling vulnerable and just wanted to be wanted... and again, she must find him attractive when she was willing to sleep with him in "Shelter Island" (who didn't think that offer to share their hotel room and the bottle of whiskey was meant to lead to something and she knew it?) and "The Fight"...

And she would have affection for him as a friend because they have so much in common, plus he has done sweet things for her, like get her a job so she wouldn't be deported and comfort her when she was sad...

However, it would be nice, if in the 5th season, they do some flashbacks or some kind of explanation to show how Robin's feelings for Barney evolved... because the look she gave him when he was jumping to the other building in "The Leap" was seriously intense... she had love in her eyes. And, of course, there was the kiss earlier in the hospital room and all those things she said about having feelings for him... I'd like to know when that happened... we know Barney's story... what about Robin's? Maybe they'll explore that further next year...

Shattered

Shattered

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 11:39 PM

However, it would be nice, if in the 5th season, they do some flashbacks or some kind of explanation to show how Robin's feelings for Barney evolved... because the look she gave him when he was jumping to the other building in "The Leap" was seriously intense... she had love in her eyes.

Agreed. That look, more than anything else in the episode, convinced me that Robin's been battling and suppressing some feelings of her own, possibly for some time now. Their awesome conversation in the hospital obviously forced her to confront and think about what she may or may not feel for him, and that look showed clearly that she does have very strong feelings. You don't look at just anyone like that.

The conversation showed some promise that something was there, the look showed that there was definitely something more there.

BrandyLeigh

BrandyLeigh

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 11:59 PM

Well, I don't think that Robin was actually with more guys this year than she was in the past, but I do agree that the way she hooked up with them (usually to service some kind of joke), coupled with her unemployment, made it all seem sort of sad and depressing. I'm trying to think - S1, she dated the guy from "Slutty Pumpkin," the hundred-millionaire, Sandy Rivers, and Ted at the very end, if that counts. S3, she had Gael, went out with that doctor that she didn't get to hook up with, hooked up with the guy who had a kid, relapsed with Ted, went out with Kurt at some point, and had sex with Barney. This season, she mentioned some guy at the UN to Lily, the Naked Man, Ted, PJ, and Stan, who she may or may not have had sex with, and then she kissed Barney at the end but I don't really know if that counts.

So, as far as quantity goes, I don't think she really slept with more guys this season than usual, but in the past she seemed to hook up with guys because she wanted to/because they were hot, whereas this season she just seemed to take whatever she could get. Although honestly, I thought PJ was pretty cute, especially when he was shirtless. I think I would've been embarrassed about sleeping with the Naked Man, but that's about it. I do hope that Robin has a better year next year, though. I hope she gets a job she likes better with better hours.

As far as Robin's feelings for Barney go, I do hope they explore that more next season. Though I know I may be in the minority, I actually liked the way the show went about dealing with Robin's side of things in the finale - while of course I wouldn't have minded seeing her point of view this season, logically there was nothing for them to show. Why would Robin actively let herself feel anything for Barney when, up until this point, she's had no indication that he wants a relationship? I guess I sort of see it as, they slept together last season, and maybe it felt like it meant something, but because it's Barney and he loves being single and sleeping around, she would just assume that it was just sex to him, so she wanted to just forget it all happened and move on. But, finding out that he's in love with her, she actually had to think about how she feels about him again. Plus, his little "maybe I want the trouble" speech was pretty emotionally honest, and Barney's so rarely vulnerable that I think it made her want to be honest with him in return, or at least give him some kind of hopeful response. At least, until they started Mosbying each other.

ETA: Removed something that could potentially be a spoiler, I suppose.

Edited by BrandyLeigh, May 29, 2009 @ 8:34 AM.

SwtSassyMolassy

SwtSassyMolassy

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2009 @ 8:54 AM

That is a very good point, BrandyLeigh. Maybe there is nothing to show because Robin never considered her feelings for Barney (which may always have been there on some level since they slept together, but like you say, she just suppressed them and moved on because she thought Barney wouldn't be interested)... so finding out that Barney was in love with her might force her to consider how she really feels about him - which it pretty much did in the hospital scene... and that might be it as far as Robin's side of the story. I'm sure we'll hear more about her feelings though next year as Barney & Robin try to navigate their relationship and what they want...

vivaldi

vivaldi

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 2:52 PM

I'm sure we'll hear more about her feelings though next year as Barney & Robin try to navigate their relationship and what they want...

I think that this season was about Barney's journey to realizing he's in love with Robin, and next year might be more about Robin's journey to getting to that place too. Like Robin said herself, she's not the biggest confronter of feelings. The finale, I think, may have forced her to actually take a look at her feelings. And next year might be more what happens with her side of the story than Barney's, since we already know he's in love with her. He's there.

Edited by vivaldi, Jun 5, 2009 @ 2:55 PM.

SkyDreamer

SkyDreamer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 22, 2009 @ 12:03 PM

I absolutely love Robin.

I don't want to have kids myself. Therefore, I'm usually disappointed with females are portrayed on TV in regards to kids.
Most of the females on TV want kids.
If by some rare occasion they don't, it's always because of "issues", i.e: haven't found the right guy, scared of giving birth, traumatic past etc., and once they solve their issues, they'll change their minds about kids (or alternatively they are portrayed as cold heart bitches).

I'm so glad Robin seems very confident about who she is. I really hope that the producers won't change her character, because females like her are very rare on TV.

The Skull

The Skull

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 31, 2009 @ 1:26 PM

I love the character of Robin and the actress development of her. There is a little touch she does that really endears her to me.
When one of the other characters is talking, watch Robin. She usually has these subtle little expressions or amused smiles . Or she can give a look that speak volumes. She reacts and you can tell things are going on in her mind. Her feelings for Barney have been developing that way under the surface. Plus she seems really amused at the comical situations, and to believably, sincerely like her friends. It helps make her real and create an endearing chemistry.
I have notice all of them do this to a degree, Lily is a close second to Robin. But I've noticed it constantly and realistically with her the most. You ever see and old Three Stooges episode where they are beating the hell out of each other and no one seems to notice? They just wait till the three finish performing acts of criminal violence on each other and then pick up like nothing happened. I've noticed a lesser degree of this trend in a lot of sitcoms and even some dramas. The characters don't seem to realize the absurdity of some of the stuff going on around them. Makes the situation seem less real and the characters more shallow. But there is always some sort of play or interaction going on with the four friends. Even those not saying anything. I like the fact that this cast and Robin in particular can play the little touches. Watch her body language and expressions, she makes the effort.
And yes, I think she's hot. I could see her being the woman that makes Barney decide it is "worth the trouble".

Edited by The Skull, Aug 31, 2009 @ 3:32 PM.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

• Interests:I'm an easy going person and likes to hang out. I like to observe and learn things, and my passions are movies, TV and travelling. I could say that I believe in the soul, high fiber, good Martini, that the books of Chicken Soup of the Soul are self-indulgent crap. I believe in sweet spot, soft-core romantic drama, good food, and I believe in long-slow-deep-soft-wet kisses that last more than three days. I have a computer, a TV, a DVD player, a bathroom & pizza delivery. Why should I leave the house? Of course, unless you have a damn good reason to drag me out; like hell with fluorescent lighting. In other word: Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.

Posted Sep 21, 2009 @ 11:41 AM

Vote for Robin Scherbatsky as your Best Fake News Reporters

Honoring the best in fake broadcast news reporting. Specifically, fake fake newscasters. Not real fake news (e.g. parodists) like the "SNL" Weekend Update anchors (of whom Norm MacDonald was the best) or "The Daily Show." Not fake real news guys like David Strathairn in “Good Night and Good Luck.” But fake fake, as in totally fictional.

JilliBean

JilliBean

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2009 @ 3:10 PM

From the episode thread:

The Barney/Robin (I refuse to say Barrobin-- WTF, CBS?) scene at the end was cute, but I'm still not sold on their relationship. I still feel like Robin's just a tad out of character; I know that she's probably just more "herself" now than she was when she was new to the gang and with Ted, but...it just doesn't feel right.

I think it's hard, because Robin hasn't been consistent in terms of the relationship characterization. In season one, Robin was introduced as being commitment phobic, and in the Halloween episode was shown as being downright crazy in terms of her dislike of relationships--the insisting on "he likes it and I like it" instead of "we like it" and distracting her date so she wouldn't have to share dessert. Those were not the actions of someone who is a bit uncomfortable with relationships. In season two, her dislike of commitment was still important, but was drastically toned down from that portrayal. I think it had to be in order to put her in a relationship with commitment loving Ted. Since then, we haven't really seen her attempt to enter into a stable, serious relationship (not counting rebounds or people only around for one episode). And now, we're back to Robin from the slutty pumpkin episode, which is not like Robin in season two but still has a precedent. And it kind of works for me, because I think you can see it as a natural evolution of character--she started out crazily commitment phobic, then realized her feelings for Ted were too strong to ignore and managed to move past her insanity to date him. But in the end, it didn't work, and it could be surmised that her commitment phobia returned, having gotten her heart broken after trying something different. And Ted is a sweet, dependable guy. Now she's in the position of possibly committing to Barney, whom no one would ever describe as sweet or dependable, and who she probably feels on some level is a mistake as a romantic partner. Possibly the only way she can be in a relationship with him is to convince herself that she's not and that it's just about fun or sex. And I do think, in general, that people in relationships do sort of start mirroring each other, so I also wouldn't call too much foul if Robin starts acting a bit nuttier, because she's involved with a nutty guy and sometimes she'll need to communicate on his level.

AndreaLyn

AndreaLyn

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2009 @ 4:03 PM

I do think that we see continued-commitment issues in Season 2 to the extent that we saw in Slutty Pumpkin. Yes, she was able to put aside a lot of reservations about commitment to be with Ted, but he is a sweet guy and was good to her. Moving Day was pretty adamant about the fact that Robin still was the woman from Slutty Pumpkin. She refused to put aside her ways to accept their ways and that was how she liked it and didn't genuinely want to change that in the long run. As to Barney/Robin and the relationship, I do think that Lily's right, but also that Barney and Robin will probably deliver a rude awakening in the fact that they're never going to be Lily's Perceived Boyfriend & Girlfriend.

As to being with Barney as well, I think it might make her feel safe knowing that one day she's not going to get surprised with a wedding ring and a "I want you to have my babies". If she's so afraid of commitment, Barney's almost like a safety net. She can have all the sex she wants, do things she enjoys, and be with someone her heart is telling her to go for, but doesn't have to worry about having to permanently change her ways because Barney doesn't want that either.

Research Girl

Research Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2009 @ 9:14 PM

The Barney/Robin (I refuse to say Barrobin-- WTF, CBS?) scene at the end was cute, but I'm still not sold on their relationship. I still feel like Robin's just a tad out of character; I know that she's probably just more "herself" now than she was when she was new to the gang and with Ted, but...it just doesn't feel right.

I have my own issues with Barney/Robin but I think Robin is being written fairly consistently. She's not naturally commitment minded but with the right guy she can be nudged into it. Barney isn't nudging her and I think she probably still has some reservations about Barney as a boyfriend.

they're never going to be Lily's Perceived Boyfriend & Girlfriend

I think all Lily wants is couple friends, which really isn't that far from what they do as friends. I don't think she particularly cares if they get married and have babies, even thought that was included in her little rant. The one thing that works for me about Barney/Robin is that they are well matched in how independent they are and neither would expect the other to give up career advancement for a relationship (at least from what we've seen so far).

thefourthslap

thefourthslap

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 8, 2009 @ 11:06 PM

I think what might be the best thing about Robin is how ridiculously cute she gets when she's flustered. Best example would be in First Time In New York when her sister gets off the plane with Scooter and he starts talking about how hot she is. Robin's frantic "you say things!" is one of the funniest moments in the whole series to me.

RidingTeach

RidingTeach

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 2:44 AM

Heh--"That is a truth fact."

I like this facet of her myself, especially in contrast to her job, in which she is required to appear poised & confident at all times. It really makes her into a more three-dimensional person than if they just went with 'hot girl with the power of snappy retort'; she's still cute, but it makes her more approachable.

couldhavebee

couldhavebee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2010 @ 9:49 AM

I know there have been a lot of complaints about how they're writing Robin this season. While I agree that she's coming off egostistical, conceited etc...well, I just don't see how that's any different from 'prior season Robin'! To me, she's always been arrogant, self-impressed and with a haughty 'too cool for the room' vibe.

Her biggest problem has always been---*gasp*---the fact that every freakin' guy who crosses her path loves her and she just can't commit to most of them because she's sooooo laid-back and 'guy-ish' in that way. Gee, my heart is breaking for her.

Sure, she has moments of wit and just plain niceness, but overall Robin always reminded me of those supposedly 'cool' girls in high school who live to smoke, drink, party, land all the guys they possibly can and secretly believed they were superior to 'average looking', un-cool plebians! Ugh. (Then again, I hate the IMO smug but personality-free Lily too, so maybe I just don't like the way female characters on this show are written!)

sapientiapaucis

sapientiapaucis

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2010 @ 12:31 PM

I know there have been a lot of complaints about how they're writing Robin this season. While I agree that she's coming off egostistical, conceited etc...well, I just don't see how that's any different from 'prior season Robin'! To me, she's always been arrogant, self-impressed and with a haughty 'too cool for the room' vibe.

I think part of the problem is that she doesn't seem to have outside interests this season. She used to have her dogs, her guns, and little things (old board games in her apartment) that made her seem like a real person rather than a caricature. And at least in the first season, she didn't really care whether or not she attracted guys.

Instead of writing another episode where the sum and total of her story is "I am the hottest chick in the bar! I am hot! Look at me!" the writers could, say, have her mention that she sees a lot of people jogging with their dogs on the way home from work ask Ted why they can't get a little dog. Arguments ensue. Or something more interesting, but that would focus on the characters' friendship on a deeper level than "these people drink together at the same bar, possibly out of habit."

o.b.

o.b.

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2010 @ 8:02 PM

Then again something appears which shows how accurately the character is drawn.

Canadian women's hockey team beer, cigars

He added, "In terms of the actual celebration, it's not exactly something uncommon in Canada."

Lizka

Lizka

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 7:20 PM

Personally, I really want Robin to rub this year's Olympics into the gang's faces. Hard.

"I'm sorry, were you insulting Canada? I couldn't hear you over ALL OUR GOLD MEDALS."

Facilier

Facilier

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 9:33 PM

I think part of the problem is that she doesn't seem to have outside interests this season. She used to have her dogs, her guns, and little things (old board games in her apartment) that made her seem like a real person rather than a caricature. And at least in the first season, she didn't really care whether or not she attracted guys.

Instead of writing another episode where the sum and total of her story is "I am the hottest chick in the bar! I am hot! Look at me!" the writers could, say, have her mention that she sees a lot of people jogging with their dogs on the way home from work ask Ted why they can't get a little dog. Arguments ensue. Or something more interesting, but that would focus on the characters' friendship on a deeper level than "these people drink together at the same bar, possibly out of habit."

This is pretty spot-on for me. In the last season she is losing a lot of her humanizing aspects to her character, which were such a delight to discover after her initial Jessica Rabbit introduction way back in season 1. Robyn is a funnier Rachel, and deserves so much more written for her. But I guess even if we're stuck with her being a mere delivery vessel for her painfully perfect looks, she still looks like the girls one's dream girl would dream of looking like.

KatTO

KatTO

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 30, 2010 @ 11:59 AM

Possible theory as to why Robin seemed to be hung up on Don for so long-

The near perfect relationship with Ted where they both realized that they couldn't be together because they were so different about what they wanted from life.

Relationship with Barney that did not work out, due to the fact that they tried to make their interesting (both find the other interesting, fascinating, neither judges the other, Barney supports her work) relationship fit a preconceived idea of what a "proper" boyfriend-girlfriend relationship is supposed to be (or writers ineptitude/cowardliness) so that died a miserable death.

Two past relationships that didn't work out but were mutual decisions.

Then her relationship with Don, which once it began, must have seemed perfect- he's supportive of her career, he works the same hours, he presents as "stable" guy, and he's not pushing her into a committment or a box. And then to find out that it was because he likely didn't care as much as she thought he did and that he left her when it was convenient. Not that there weren't red flags before, but it can be easy to be blind to them. I thought it spoke volumes that she didn't consider talking to him about her job offer in the first place - either to get his opinion or to tell him that she turned it down. For once she prioritized a man over her career and learnt that he would not give her the same consideration.

That's got to hurt. So even though he likely wasn't much of catch in the first place, to learn that you just weren't important enough for him, must have really hurt.

vimrod

vimrod

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 2:17 AM

So, I'm marathoning seasons of HIMYM and I'm baffled as to why it's become a thing that Robin has to consistently mention how beautiful/hot she is every other episode. I can't pinpoint exactly where it started but as the episodes fly by, it keeps coming up. It's an annoying trait on a character that started off as cool, slightly reserved and aloof. The Robin of the earlier seasons wasn't about fluff and egocentric traits. I hate it, I haven't gotten on to S7 yet so I'm hoping this "quirk" has now tapered off.