Marshall and Lily: Mr. and Mrs. Awesome

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

23 replies to this topic

fuzzbear

fuzzbear

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 2:41 PM

If these two can't spend one night apart, then how can they be in separate threads?

What I adore most about this relationship, not to get too SQUEE! about it, is that there are so few unabashed love stories in sitcoms today. You look at the vile "Rules of Engagement" or Brad Garrett's "Til Death," and all you see is the message that marriage is for suckers, love doesn't last and men only put up with women for the sex.

In Marshall and Lily, there's no pretending that Marshall doesn't love Lily beyond all else, or that they couldn't live without each other. To use a cliche, they're soulmates in the truest sense, and the way it's presented on-screen is pretty much genius because, in my opinion, it doesn't make you gag. Even Barney, archenemy of monogamy, can't help but be won over by the relationship.

Plus, I never want to see my boyfriends go to the bathroom and vice versa. They still have the deuce!

Edited by fuzzbear, Sep 15, 2007 @ 2:43 PM.

ScarlettLynn

ScarlettLynn

Fanatic

• Interests:I'm here because I'm completely addicted to television.

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 3:13 PM

What I adore most about this relationship, not to get too SQUEE! about it, is that there are so few unabashed love stories in sitcoms today. You look at the vile "Rules of Engagement" or Brad Garrett's "Til Death," and all you see is the message that marriage is for suckers, love doesn't last and men only put up with women for the sex.

I really love that about them. That most importantly they genuinely like each other. That they get along, have fun together, that they aren't just a couple... they're friends.

Drew T.

Drew T.

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 4:09 PM

It's definitely most evident (or at least very evident) in the season two finale when Marshall isn't embarrassed at Lily's drunken behavior at the fast food place. He's just thrilled she's his wife. That's a really sweet moment.

Llamaface

Llamaface

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 5:20 PM

You so rarely see couples on television whose whole existence isn't to constantly snipe and hate on each other. Marshall and Lily tease, but it's always very good-natured and you can see the love and devotion behind how they treat each other.

likeelectric

likeelectric

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:TV! Music, books, politics, and pop culture.

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 7:18 PM

This is a truly functional relationship and I am excited for married Lily and Marshall in S3. Great characters, great chemistry, great fun!

wackychick21

wackychick21

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 8:20 PM

I agree, likeelectric - I can't wait to see how Lily and Marshall adjust to married life. Especially after "Moving Day", when they found it so strange to be without Ted.

emjay1116

emjay1116

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 10:10 PM

I love LilyPad and Marshmallow.

I wonder if we'll ever get to meet their son Totally and daughter Freakin.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 4:08 PM

Has it been mentioned anywhere that Comcast On Demand has their honeymoon videos available?

fuzzbear

fuzzbear

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 10:07 PM

Has it been mentioned anywhere that Comcast On Demand has their honeymoon videos available?

Yeah, I think maybe in the Meet Market, but this is a good spot, too. I hear they're also on the CBS site, but I haven't gone to track them down yet. Are they good? Did they see Nessie?

big chicken

big chicken

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 10:24 PM

I like to think that this summer's video of Nessie was taken by Marshall and Lily on their honeymoon. I hope the writers somehow manage to incorporate that tidbit into the one of this season's early episodes.

Melrose

Melrose

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Antiquing, used book stores, wine, pottery (collecting),<br />scary movies

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 12:46 PM

I would think they would bring up the honeymoon videos in S3 - especially since Lilly's getting just a little annoyed with Marshall.
(It's not a lake......) Go to CBS Innertube and under How I Met Your Mother - it's under the Bonus Section. (I'd bring the link over, but I never have much luck with doing that....it always seems to lock up my computer, somehow....sorry!)

ariesblue

ariesblue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 12:05 AM

(Paraphrasing badly): Marshall: You could have burped, you could have said yes, but the fact you both burped and said yes is the reason why I married you. I love that moment, it struck so true to me.

kiweesplash

kiweesplash

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 1:23 AM

Wedding/Honeymoon videos and pictures are at www.marshallandlilywedding.com/ as well. :)

Edited by kiweesplash, Sep 18, 2007 @ 1:24 AM.

Tyo

Tyo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 2:18 AM

I love these two. At some point, I would like to see them go to a couple's retreat thing where married couples "re-connect", mostly because I imagine Lilly would bully Marshall into it so that they, as a couple, could "win" the weekend. Marshall, of course, is great at games, so I think it would be totally hilarious, but I think that about a lot of things.

TravelMug

TravelMug

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 11:21 PM

OK, those honeymoon videos are awesome.

I love this show and its website-happiness.

Edited by TravelMug, Sep 25, 2007 @ 11:31 PM.

uncommonwoman

uncommonwoman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 12:48 PM

That retreat idea is hilarious Tyo.

I too love these two because they are adorable, fun, and you can see that they genuinely care for each other. Even when they went through the break up it was in such a realistic way for solid long term relationships like theirs. It wasn't about doubting each other, it was really about Lily doubting herself.

Edited by uncommonwoman, Sep 28, 2007 @ 12:48 PM.

Melrose

Melrose

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Antiquing, used book stores, wine, pottery (collecting),<br />scary movies

Posted May 8, 2008 @ 5:50 PM

Check this out on Watch With Kristen.... MarshallandLilySellTheirStuff.com

I cannot wait for the next ep "Everything Must Go"!

Edited by Melrose, May 8, 2008 @ 5:57 PM.

coolhandjennie

coolhandjennie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 12:22 AM

I'm one of those over-emotional saps who cries during Hallmark commercials, so it's really no big surprise that Marshall & Lily consistently make me cry. Partly it's because they're the only aspect of the show to ever really get quasi-serious (at least up to halfway through Season 2, which is as far as I've gotten so far), and partly it's because they're so gosh durn CUTE. I want that relationship!!!

coolhandjennie

coolhandjennie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2008 @ 3:31 PM

OMG, I want that WEDDING! So yeah, I just finished watching "Something Borrowed" and just like Barney I cried through the whole wedding-in-front-of-a-tree. I might be wrong about Gerard Butler, I think Marshall might be my 9.6.

wingster55

wingster55

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 2:27 PM

Rewatching Three Days of Snow I have to say I love their subplot the best. I just love them together.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 11:23 AM

Brought over from the 'Dual Citizenship' Thread.

I'm increasingly frustrated with how cliched Marshall and Lily are becoming. Mid-season 1 they spent an entire episode railing about how lame bed-and-breakfasts were, and now they're both so dying to go to one that they force Ted along with them in the middle of his guys' road trip? I don't buy it as natural character evolution over messed up continuity

I think that we are seeing the growth period for Marshall and Lily this season too though. They are at that stage of, "Okay, now we are married. How should we act, now we are grown up?"

What we are seeing is them trying to fit into roles that they think that they should be fitting into. They bought an apartment, they try to cultivate couple friends, they B&B. The fact is that they need to go through all this crap to figure out who they are as a married couple, and that it is okay to hang with your single friends, and go to the bar, and spend time apart. But they haven't quite reached that understanding yet.

I really hope that they get there soon, and allow themselves a few years before they start the process again with children in the mix.

AvrilShowers

AvrilShowers

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2009 @ 6:20 PM

I know it's probably better for the two of them as people to start... matooring, but I just liked them a whole lot better in "OK Awesome", where they specifically REJECT all this schmoopy couples stuff they're doing now.

thefourthslap

thefourthslap

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 8, 2009 @ 10:29 PM

At some point, I would like to see them go to a couple's retreat thing where married couples "re-connect", mostly because I imagine Lilly would bully Marshall into it so that they, as a couple, could "win" the weekend. Marshall, of course, is great at games, so I think it would be totally hilarious, but I think that about a lot of things.

What an awesome idea, and something I could absolutely see them doing. I also think it'd be pretty funny if they tried to kind of combine their efforts to mature with their inherent goofiness and try starting their own bed and breakfast. Pancakes in the morning, a Star Wars viewing in the afternoon, Lily could paint caricatures, Marshall could show off his famous foot rubs...there could be gouda...

Doree

Doree

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 17, 2011 @ 1:24 PM

the thing i am most excited about is the fact that lily and marshall are pregnant now <3 i am so curious about how this will affect their relationship! i think they are going to be totally overreacting annoyed parents who are eager to please their child. this is going to be a great new comedy theeme on himym. so looking forward to it. and YES lily and marshall for ever!!!! <3