1-1: "Peter's" 2007.09.19 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

258 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 1:15 PM

From Zap 2 It:

Chef Ramsay tries to improve a small, family-run Italian restaurant in Babylon, N.Y., but faces a hot-tempered "Godfather'' wannabe.

buffett

buffett

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:01 PM

Juicehead's Restaurant!

Ugh, the poor staff.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

• Interests:Improv, Mojo-Kickball, Kickboxing, Cooking, Baking

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:01 PM

That was a sudden turn around for Peter.

And how was he "Co-Owner", but his sister "Owner". It seems they'd both be "co" or just one owner. I did hear the sister (Tina?) say at the beginning that she was the owner but everyone thought he was since he was hosting, but then the graphics did the co-owner and owner thing. Oh well.

Edited by aquarian1, Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:02 PM.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:02 PM

I only saw the last 30 minutes, but Robert's look of awe when Gordon went off on Peter was hilarious.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:02 PM

Wow. Here I had always thought that "Italian families are different" was a bit of self-serving fiction that reality-show-contestants dreamed up to excuse their bad behavior. But maybe it's true after all? My family certainly never acted like that, or talked to each other like that.

The "free brand new kitchen" gift surprised me. Did the UK version of the show have giveaways like that?

It seems they'd both be "co" or just one owner.

I agree with your logic, but it doesn't always seem to work that way. Movies and TV series sometimes have a "producer" and then a bunch of "co-producers." The latter titles sometimes seem to be handed out as gifts to keep people happy and make them feel important. Which may not be so far from the situation with Peter, come to think of it.

Edited by Rinaldo, Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:05 PM.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:04 PM

Who'd thunk it? I never thought I'd ever see anyone whose temper would make Gordon seem like a meek little lamb. I'm glad Fox allowed us to see Gordon's caring side. He does genuinely want to see restaurants succeed. I'm a fan of the British version, so I'm looking forward to this version. So far, so good.

The "free brand new kitchen" gift surprised me. Did the UK version of the show have giveaways like that?

I'm not sure; I don't remember that happening. Most of the episodes I've seen the kitchens needed to be cleaned. At least the owners had the common sense to have working equipment. I could definitely be wrong.

Edited by mustbekarma, Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:06 PM.

rei7777

rei7777

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:06 PM

Eek. Sorry for asking about it. I'm off to read the weecap.

Edited by rei7777, Sep 19, 2007 @ 10:26 PM.

Viewitful Jeff

Viewitful Jeff

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:06 PM

Man, ol' Gordon looked downright tame compared to this dude.

Hey, maybe that's the point.

inny

inny

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

Not bad, overall, but not nearly as charming as the UK version.

Two issues - first, where was the food? There was hardly any food there. Second, can we please lose the HK music, editing and narrator? It worked on HK because of the snark, but not here.

ETA:

I'm not sure; I don't remember that happening. Most of the episodes I've seen the kitchens needed to be cleaned. At least the owners had the common sense to have working equipment. I could definitely be wrong.

I don't remember freebies like that either. On occasion, they might fix a stove or replace a piece of equipment, but never anything that expensive. And I don't recall the Magic Elves coming in to do the work either. Even with the restaurant cleaning and/or redecorating, the staff did the work.

Edited by inny, Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:19 PM.

cstad

cstad

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:12 PM

I was busy reading about BB8 and missed why Peter suddenly started screaming and pushing that guy around who drove away...anybody know what that was about?

I believe that was a bill collector who spoke "rudely" to Ramsey. Obviously, he was just asking for Lightnin' Pete to beat the shit out of him. (snerk)

Boy, Pete did have a bit of a temper, huh? And then, to get upset when Gordon called him on his standing around and doing nothing. Peter needed to grow up and really "see" what he was doing (screwing over his restaurant). I did have to laugh when Peter tried to get a cappachino (sp?) while he was supposed to be cooking in the kitchen.

Overall, not bad, but not as good as the original.

Edited by cstad, Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:13 PM.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:13 PM

That guy Peter was pushing around was a bill collector.

He had a really quick turnaround. Amazingly quick.

...suspiciously quick.

Kirblar

Kirblar

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:15 PM

The UK version would replace equipment and make over dining areas when deemed necessary.

Spooneroonie

Spooneroonie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:17 PM

He had a really quick turnaround. Amazingly quick.

...suspiciously quick.

I was thinking the same.

This really feels like Hell's Kitchen with a rotating cast and less food.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:17 PM

What a douche! That Peter remibds me of every spoiled first born boy I have ever met. His enabling family should have kicked him out the biz a long time ago. I don't trust his sudden turn around. If you have debts so bad the bill collectors are coming to your place of work, then you got serious isues. This is definitely one I'd like to see revisited.

DreamCrusher

DreamCrusher

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

I was busy reading about BB8 and missed why Peter suddenly started screaming and pushing that guy around who drove away...anybody know what that was about?

The guy was another "bill collector" who came to bug Peter for money owed. Gordon kept asking him to leave and he wouldn't so Peter stepped in and started a ruckus. And it looked to me like Peter knocked his own father down on the sidewalk by accident - NOT COOL.

scimeron

scimeron

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

- I think Ramsey renovated the kitchen for the staff because those were the one's that he seemed to care about. Case and point, did anyone else notice at the end that he when he went to shake hands with everyone and Peter stepped forward, Ramsey blew past him and went straight to the kitchen staff first.

- Peter's only (and I mean ONLY) use through the show was actually making the phone call to get the walk-in fridge fixed. He's useless. The whole blow-up with the bill collector was immature at best. Everyone played their part in that segment. The kitchen staff "held" him back. He played the bad-ass. And Ramsey played up to the bad-ass by calming him down. It would've been interesting if Gordon just turned to him afterwards and said "Finished? Great. Lets get back to work". Peter probably would've been disappointed that his tough-guy show was ignored. Gordon's a big boy, he can handle himself and doesn't need Peter to go to bat for him. It seems like he was given partial ownership of the restaurant and thinks that all he has to do is wander around and play the glad-handing owner.

- I was disappointed that after it was all said and done that he didn't stop back in (like in the UK version) after a few weeks to see how things were going.

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:23 PM

Not bad but I agree on Peter's turn around. Then again outside the time clocks on things. Doesn't mean several other days passed. It's like on HK and even the original UK version of KN. Is that they edit things and keep what they find more entertaining and what will keep the audiences' attention. However, the bill collector was a dick. There is a way you can be a bill collector and not be a major ass and still get your money. The main problem with this restuarant besides the staff and family at odds all the time with each other and Pete was just spending money left and right on stuff he really didn't need. Was their equipment and were their supplies came from. Hell, I'm surprised those cooks put their spare rags in the non working oven. That is such a fire hazard my bosses would be killing us if we even tried to do that. They give us a stern talking too if our rags are ever outside their buckets or cases more than 5 minutes and not used.
However, Peter does his quick turn around and you get actually working equipment, streamline the menu and get people who actually give you decent supplies and voila. You have a successful restuarant.

grendel

grendel

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:27 PM

I'm quite happy to see that Fox allowed some of the more human side of Gordon to come through. I actually laughed when he threw himself down the inflat-o slide near the end.

I think Peter really did have some level of respect for Gordon and when he was dressed down he accepted it. Its totally different to be called a jackass by someone you respect.

I wish we could see a 6 week or month revisit but maybe the shooting schedule didn't allow for it. I mean Ramsay's got how many plates spinning now?

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:28 PM

Forgot to mention how much I wanted to kick him in the head for going in the kitchen and eating those oysters.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:31 PM

Yeah, with things like this, you do need to revisit. No matter, though. TO THE INTERNETS!

I'm not sure when Gordon showed up, but the two most recent reviews I've seen that do not concentrate solely on TV are:

March 19:
"Nice spot for a family dinner. Food was good. But we need a buffer for the front door. You will not be happy at the bar on a cold night with the wind blowing straight in everytime the door opens. Also there was no heat in the rear room. NG!" (Zagat)

April 29:
"Baked clams the size of quarters, in fact they bordered on the side of illegal. Very difficult to order for more than two people. We were in the back room, unfortunately the candles along the wall were the only source of light, one of our guests had wax all over her jacket and sweater, fortunately she was not burned, although we got burned on price and quality of food. You must remember to bring bathroom tissue they don't seem to stock the stuff. The waitress forgot to bring out the side dishes that came with the meal. When arrived it certainly wasn't enough for the few people that had ordered it. Be careful if you leave any valuables such as a camera, kiss it good bye as we found out. This will be an evening we will not forget. Save your money and find a quality restaurant that serves warm food. Just think how bad it could have been, you see Some one in our party knew the owners!" (2/5, Merchant Circle)

CJohnson

CJohnson

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:32 PM

Honestly, it felt like they didn't have nearly enough time with an hour to really show, even in a very condensed version, everything that went on. It felt really rushed the last half of the show. It was entertaining though, and I certainly felt for the staff and especially Peter's sister, with all the drama. Hopefully the change is real. Not as much of a must-see as Hell's Kitchen, but I'll stay tuned if I have the time.

Halloween Mojo

Halloween Mojo

Fanatic

• Interests:Halloween and the Duke Blue Devils men's basketball team.

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:37 PM

I hate the narrator. Why can't we have the same one they used on HK?

I wonder why the father was subtitled. I understood him perfectly.

Peter was such a jerk to that waitress. There is no way that a good host speaks to the staff that way in front of patrons. I'da smacked him one when we got back to the kitchen. And he didn't even realize what he did wrong?

TVGuy88

TVGuy88

Couch Potato

• Interests:Besides television.... Weather, World Events, Politics, the Internet, Aviation, Earthquakes

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:39 PM

Oh man... this show is a RIOT! I love it!

Edited by TVGuy88, Sep 19, 2007 @ 11:49 PM.

FutonPotato

FutonPotato

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:41 PM

Lemme see. . . a bully who can dish it out but not take it, who doesn't actually work, who's wasting the family business funds even though it could cost his sister's house. Dad got pushed down on the sidewalk, but then shrugged off the fight. (Assuming editing wasn't taking that reaction from something else.) Sister is the principal owner, and apparently a major investor, but the brother's name is on the place. (Of COURSE everyone thinks he owns it! It should be Tina's Place.) They don't need Gordon Ramsey so much as they need a family counselor to figure out why they (dys)function this way. Reminded me of some of the Italian mama's boys I've known -- mothers who cook separate meals for sons who don't like the main meal, or who polish their grown sons shoes.

But the real problem? A tanning bed, overbleached teeth, tacky suits and gold chains. How does gorgeous Italian fashion sense devolve into tacky Italian-American taste? I can still picture my great aunt's entire living room covered in plastic, including the throw pillows and stuffed animals. Not a good place for wearing shorts.

Jersette

Jersette

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:45 PM

GR must really think we're ugly Americans after this. I've watched most episodes of the British "Kitchen Nightmares" and no one has been as belligerent as Peter. The screaming in this family! My assumption was people asked for Ramsay to come in and fix their restaurants. Did no one get Peter the memo?

And the editing suuuuucked. Even after they presented the family with the brand spanking new kitchen, there were still scenes after showing the grungy,icky kitchen.

I love GR, so I'll keep watching it..but leave it to Fox to *bleep* it up with their overwrought presentation. Such a cliche, but the British version? Classier by far.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:47 PM

While the narrator kept repeating "bill collector", my wife took one look at Peter and said: "Bookie."

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:53 PM

You are right! I thought something was off about those "bill collectors". Peter seemed to know them personally like they were neighborhood guys.

Raguel

Raguel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:56 PM

Man, Peter was gonna ride that restaurant all the way into the ground. He scared me!

(And is it wrong that I want to have all of Gordon's ugly little babies?)

Rosanella

Rosanella

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 9:56 PM

That Peter was such a douche that he should change his name to Massengil.

coors1977

coors1977

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 10:00 PM

I loved the start of the show w/ the Zagat plaque standing proudly by the front door.

At then end when Gordon was doing his wrap-up? The Zagat name was blurred.

Heh.