Kitchen Nightmares (US)

• Please log in to reply

2169 replies to this topic

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

Only Moe's I know of is a chain of fast casual tacos.
http://www.moes.com/food/
Yep menu has lots of ridiculous names.

Yeah, that's the place. They also yell at you when you enter. It gets very old very fast hearing everyone yelling "Welcome to Moooooooes!" every single time someone enters.

Is it just me, or does Denise remoind anyone of Connie Marble?

HandBanana

HandBanana

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

Good grief. I will make it a point to never step foot in Moe's. Or Cafe Hon, if I ever go to Baltimore.

Death Quaker

Death Quaker

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

"I was almost positive that you can't be that broad with a trademark. Like, she could keep any other restaurant/food establishment from using "Hon" in their name, but not anything using the word "hon". It's supposed to keep people from using the trademarked item in a way that confuses people - i.e. if you went into "Hon's Place" thinking it was "Cafe Hon" because you knew it was a restaurant famous for the use of "hon", that could be damaging to Cafe Hon's reputation / take away their business. But "Hon's Books" wouldn't create the same issues and thus she shouldn't be able to claim damages or prevent them from using "hon", especially for a word that's so ubiquitous in the area. No judge should uphold that shit."

And yet she was able to force a store (not a restaurant) called "Thanks, Hon!" to change its name (it later had to close) and moreover, got the Maryland Transit Authority to pay her for an ad campaign to encourage people to buy their transit passes (they wanted to use the slogan, "Get yours, hon!")

Source:
http://www.sdma.com/...ment-02-11-2011

(You can find similar stories using Google. The Baltimore Sun is a good place to start.)

I don't know what the intricacies of the legalities were, or what the stipulations of trademark were, but she/her representatives were passing out C&Ds to ANYone essentially printing the word as part of a marketing campaign or personal branding, and succeeding in getting people to pay her. Maybe she shouldn't have been able to, but the reality is she certainly did. Repeatedly.

And that's why we were mad at her, hon.

As an aside, I've heard business has improved there since they filmed at the end of October and she revoked the trademark. In part, I'm sure because people out of curiosity want to see the changes to the menu, and don't feel the need to boycott anymore. I'd been a few times before I was aware of the trademark controversy... first time (years before the trademark issue happened) it was really good. The next couple times were so-so -- it was alright, but you could find better elsewhere, and each time was worse than the last. The last time I went was right at the height of the controversy (I heard about it a couple days later), and I do remember ordering something really common, something they should have had plenty of, and being told they were out of it (I wonder now if it suffered the curse of the 86s). So I think what they said in the show was true: the trademark issue itself and her refusal to let go of it like a dog with a bone was adding to her own instability and leading to her mistreat the staff and make poor decisions. The restaurant was going more and more downhill the more people hated on her and the more she refused to listen and budge from her position, let alone take any personal responsibility for her actions or mistakes.

I am curious to see for myself what it's like now. On the other hand, it's on the Avenue in Hampden which has tons of awesome restaurants, so it's hard to give up the other opportunities there (probably also a factor when it wasn't doing well). Cafe Hon plays up the John Waters' style kitsch that tourists look for (and it's fun, I have nothing wrong with it--and I'm actually glad Ramsay didn't tone down Cafe Hon's image when he made it over because it is what makes it stand out in that neighborhood), but I think locals tend to prefer some of the other places that cater to different crowds. I wonder if it will continue to do well now that the trademark wars are over, or if people will pass it over for nearby places after their curiosity (if not their hunger) is sated.

Edited by Death Quaker, Feb 27, 2012 @ 4:05 PM.

A Beaverhausen

A Beaverhausen

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 8:21 AM

I am curious to see for myself what it's like now. On the other hand, it's on the Avenue in Hampden which has tons of awesome restaurants, so it's hard to give up the other opportunities there (probably also a factor when it wasn't doing well).

I guess I'm really not all that curious. I don't think Denise or the restaurant came off well at all, and I think she apologized only because she had no other choice and she got to do it on national TV. The meals there have never been memorable (unless greasy means memorable), and I think it has devolved into a tourist trap. As you say, there are too many other good options in Hamden.

whirlingdervish

whirlingdervish

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

Definitely too many great Hampden eateries to go into a tourist trap serving deep fried crab cakes (!). Sounds like she's tweaked Gordon's recipes, which sounds like bad news in general, but that's one recipe I hope she did tweak. Dunno many Marylanders looking for a deep fried crab cake.

kittenista

kittenista

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

http://www.baltimore...,0,772658.story

Here's a new article about how Ramsey had nothing to do with her giving up the trademark...she'll do anything to keep in the paper lol

Opal Sky

Opal Sky

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

Just saw the Charlie's episode...(late to the game)...I don't know what was going on between the owner, the owner's mother, and the chef.

Despite the fact that he was CLEARLY terrible, Tatiana was on her knees catering to the chef's every whim and massaging his ego. She was devastated beyond the level of simple friendship, and far beyond an owner/employee relationship. Also, her mother seemed pretty upset, saying that she "needed time" when Tatiana brought up firing him. It just weirded me out.

Also, cry more Tatiana. It clearly helps.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

Tatiania may be one of those people who has never fired anyone despite the signs of a firing needing to be done.

Also when I heard the chef's name I thought why he is named after the Italian maggot cheese dish?

I have no clue as to why people think they can run a business and think that buying a place and keeping everything the same guarantees success when the place was clearly going downhill?

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Here's a new article about how Ramsey had nothing to do with her giving up the trademark...

But of course. It's the center square of bad owner bingo. To her horror, she awoke from a hypnotic trance to discover that she was on a reality tv show being made by clever editing and bullying to look like a jerk. Right after her drive time interview with the local Fox affiliate, I think it was.

Ichi chan

Ichi chan

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

'm not sure what's more ridiculous - the fact that this lady trademarked the word "hon", or that Baltimore thinks they have a special right to the word. Here in the south I probably get called "hon" twice a day on average by random strangers.

Hi, a Marylander here. No one said we have a special right to it. "Hon" isn't just a term of endearment to us, it's apart of our culture. For someone to claim it and say "no you can't use it, it's MY word." is messed up.

Edited by Ichi chan, Mar 4, 2012 @ 12:47 AM.

decembre

decembre

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

The word "hon" has lost all meaning to me after hearing it so many times.

The 86'ing seemed like a temper-tantum more than a managerial decision. The apology seemed like a heartfelt plea for people to stop hating her, but not much more than that. The new menu seemed to consist mostly of fried food and didn't look terribly fresh or local or seasonal. The fact that we didn't even see a proper relaunch night suggests that Ramsay didn't have much to offer beyond the radio PR stunt. Part of me thinks this was exactly what the owner was angling for all along.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

The fact that we didn't even see a proper relaunch night

There was no inspection either of the fridge or kitchen. Usually you only see the relaunch or inspection when things are wrong. When things go right they aren't shown.

Sooner Charmed

Sooner Charmed

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 3:00 AM

The fact that we didn't even see a proper relaunch night suggests that Ramsay didn't have much to offer beyond the radio PR stunt. Part of me thinks this was exactly what the owner was angling for all along.

Bingo! This is exactly what was so off about this episode. There was nothing about the new food at Cafe Hon that said that Ramsay had anything to do with the selection of the new menu.

What the U.S. version is really lacking, for me, is what I love so much in the BBC version, and that's when he would strip off his shirt, put on his chef's coat, and really get in there with a knife and show people how to make things BETTER! Oh, what I wouldn't give to see him having an onion chopping contest with some hapless prep cook he has taken a shine to and thinks he has real potential to become a remarkable chef some day! The beauty in that series is Ramsay finding the untapped talent that already exists, but it not being used. No, apparently Fox thinks American audiences just want to be grossed out.

Edited by Sooner Charmed, Mar 5, 2012 @ 3:00 AM.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

Frankly, the show grosses me out. It's extremely repetitive from episode to episode, and Ramsay's infamous profanity adds nothing positive to the mix. I have nothing against swearing it's just that his serves no purpose except to titilate interest. Also, I'd like to know who pays for redecorating the restaurants.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

Been catching up via Hulu Plus, a few shows at a time. I know Gordon gets "angry" every episode, but Oceana's (the one with the two bickering brothers Mo and Rami and the dead rats in the kitchen) was the only one so far where (IMHO) Gordon was truly angry.

Twitchy Chef Damon (who either had a neurological condition or was on some heavy medication, legal or otherwise) first denied the crab cakes were frozen, then admitted they were (at Rami's prompting), then got in Gordon's face, then called him a cocksucker during dinner service when Gordon properly critiqued his food. Gordon investigates the kitchen and finds all these decomposing crabs, shrimp and whatnot, causing him and Rami to both legitimately (IMHO) puke. Gordon gets in Chef Damon's face hard and reads him the riot act, almost snarling "CHEF!" as he walks away.

Good times.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

No, apparently Fox thinks American audiences just want to be grossed out.

It's none of the filithiest kitchens on the UK show ever came anywhere close to the ones in the US. The US outdoes the UK on nasty kitchens, incompetent owners and incompetent chefs.

lso, I'd like to know who pays for redecorating the restaurants.

Fox.

Sooner Charmed

Sooner Charmed

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

It's none of the filithiest kitchens on the UK show ever came anywhere close to the ones in the US. The US outdoes the UK on nasty kitchens, incompetent owners and incompetent chefs.

Well, sure, because you are comparing a teeny tiny country with a gigantic one. The flip is also true, there are bound to be more restaurants with competent chefs and gleaming kitchens in this country, because it is massive compared to the U.K.

Edited by Sooner Charmed, Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:08 PM.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

http://menmedia.co.u...iest_restaurant

http://www.metro.co....lthiest-kitchen

Edited by misterbfd, Mar 11, 2012 @ 12:03 AM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

there are bound to be more restaurants with competent chefs and gleaming kitchens in this country

http://www.catererse...r-overview.html UK as of 2006 had over 26k places yet they eat more meals out then Americans do.

http://nrn.com/artic...-count-declines now chains is about half the number of US restaurants.

If you want to look at top notch restaurants according to Michelin Guide

The US as of 2011 has 10 three starred restaurants, 17 two starred restaurants, and 103 one starred restaurants

The UK as of 2007 had : 4 three starred restaurants, 13 two starred restaurants and 106 one starred restaurants

Japan however as of 2012 had 32 three starred restaurants, 61 two starred restaurants, and 224 one starred restaurants

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

This week, Gordon saved a family in trouble. Yay?

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

The owner needed more help than Gordon. He needed some therapy and maybe medication. I felt sorry for the guy. Does anyone know why he felt like he'd been a failure his whole life? Did he not work at the Wildwood location, which was successful?

I guess I understand why they thought they could bring the name from the shore into south Philly, but it's one thing to find somewhere decent to eat at the beach and another to compete with all the Italian restaurants in South Philly. I was going to say maybe they should have opened somewhere other than South Philly, but considering the menu and the poor quality of the food, maybe the location wasn't the problem.

Loved Gordon with the reading glasses! Time marches on for us all, Gordo!

maineiac

maineiac

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

The owner needed more help than Gordon. He needed some therapy and maybe medication.

I agree and I have to say, I'm not liking the direction Kitchen Nighmares has been going for some time. If I want to watch shows about dysfunctional families, I'll watch Dr Phil, Maury, Donahue, Oprah, Sally Jessy and whatever other afternoon fare is available these days. I'm probably dating myself with that list because I don't know who is on these days.

Whatever happened to the show being about shitty food, promotion, management, location etc? KN is turning into an hour long commercial for every psychological ailment out there.

Years of being "in the hole" financially, mentally, physically or whatever are not going to be resolved with a new menu and a new paint scheme. These people seem to need medical intervention more than GR.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

Anybody know if the restaurant from last night's show is still in business?

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

Chiarella's looks like it's doing OK. Chiarella article Note that the owner had been in a "five year depression" prior to Gordo's arrival. Geez.

Gabrielle Tracy

Gabrielle Tracy

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

Dina Chiarella Difino's family started the restaurant in Wildwood, New Jersey and it was very successful there. Actually, the food was excellent in Wildwood, but the chef there was one of the Chiarella brothers; not the fellow shown on Kitchen Nightmares. Tommy was a waiter at Chiarella's in Wildwood; I guess the family gave him and Dina control of the restaurant when they decided to close in Wildwood and reopen in Philly. It just seems like the poor guy is overwhelmed and he's probably getting some flack from Dina's family for the lack of success of the restaurant.

Now that I think about it, Chiarella's Wildwood chef now has his own restaurant there ("Gia") so I guess that's why he didn't relocate to Philly.

SteakHead

SteakHead

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

I am not buying this Zocalo episode. That Mary character is one vile bitch. I can't see her changing. She is one of the most spoiled people on that show. Greg should have dumped her ass. I dont see that restaurant succeeding.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

So Gordon saved another marriage. Color me unimpressed.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

Gordon Ramsay: master chef, expert restauranteur, business leader supreme, marriage counselor incomparable, world-class family therapist, adulterer.

Edited by misterbfd, Mar 31, 2012 @ 4:54 PM.

Nukerjsr

Nukerjsr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Don't forget Best of Bed and Breakfast!

But yeah, I'm sick of these depressed owners. The guy before, I felt honestly bad for him because he really did seem depressed. The same applied for this marriage, but while most of my sympathies were there for man, I hated the hell out of this woman. It's like, the level of anger the two had and how they were automatically happy after Gordon's work? I call BS. It almost felt like, "Well, Ramsay will give us some new equipment we desperately need, so...." and then, the shift changed.

Also, as someone who has made Queso Fundido, they really did fail in that aspect. And I've rarely seen Mexican food that expensive.

Opal Sky

Opal Sky

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

Wow...I bet less than two minutes were spent discussing food.

Man, I'm just so bored with the focus on family drama.
Here's what I like: Gordon tastes food and screams about it, examines kitchen and screams about it, works with chef and staff to improve food quality by creating new dishes/new menu, reopening starts rough but ends well.

Here's what it is: Gordon tastes food and yells halfheartedly about it, Gordon sits down with family and has 'meaningful talk' where at least one family member flips out, someone threatens to leave/close the business, Gordon uses security cameras to get what staff/family 'really think,' big reconciliation scene, reopening starts rough but ends well. BONUS: Google restaurant to reveal it closed six weeks later anyway.