Tracy Jordan: He is untoward! He is not toward!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

83 replies to this topic

NoirCommeMoi

NoirCommeMoi

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 6:36 PM

I know the character is mildly controversial in terms of value to the show, but I love him. I find him the second most quotable character on the show, behind Jack. Plus, if there were no Tre, there'd be no Grizz or DotCom! That would be the opposite of awes.

I'm hoping this season sees Tracy continue his quest to make a historical movie along the lines of his Thomas Jefferson debacle. Tre in a white wig and baby powder on his face = comedy gold.

Edited by NoirCommeMoi, Sep 17, 2007 @ 6:13 PM.

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 7:48 PM

I know the character is mildly controversial in terms of value to the show, but I love him.

He is? Wow one of things I was so surprised about when the show first started is that, Alec Baldwin notwithstanding, Tracy was the best part of the show in the early eps when it was finding it's footing. "Blue Man! Blue Man, where your feet at?"

It is weird that a scripted show finds a way to showcase his loose cannon funny better than the more improve/skit driven SNL.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 8:24 PM

I didn't know any of his earlier work, but I was a little uncertain how he was going to work out in the first couple of episodes -- he seemed more a personality, cast to type, than an actor in control of his effects. But I was won over as of "Tracy Does Conan" (the source of blixie's quote), in which he was brilliantly funny and right, and from then on I was with him.

Now, one of the things I love best about the series is that it's a beautifully judged melange of people from different worlds of performing, which each contribute complementary colors that work together. A lot of them, of course, are from sketch or standup comedy. But we also have Jane Krakowski from the musical stage and Alec Baldwin, a "real" actor. And they make the perfect combination.

[I imagine that this thread will soon be moved over to the "Rocketeers" subforum.]

Edited by Rinaldo, Sep 14, 2007 @ 10:45 PM.

Kimbreely

Kimbreely

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 10:49 PM

He is? Wow one of things I was so surprised about when the show first started is that, Alec Baldwin notwithstanding, Tracy was the best part of the show in the early eps when it was finding it's footing. "Blue Man! Blue Man, where your feet at?"

Yes, he is! I'm always posting 30 Rock news on Oh No They Didn't and most of the replies I get are:

"I effing love this show"
"Tina Fey is my role model"
"I like the show, but I effing hate Tracy Morgan. Die, Tracy Morgan"
"Alec Baldwin is awesome"
"I love this show so much I want to take it behind a middles school and get it pregnant"

I didn't like him at first, but now I really love him! I guess I just got used to his craziness. And, of course, I *LOVE* Grizz and DotCom!

ScarlettLynn

ScarlettLynn

Fanatic

• Interests:I'm here because I'm completely addicted to television.

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 1:22 PM

I didn't like him at first, but now I really love him!

I definitely didn't expect him to grow on me as much as he did. But now I always look forward to his insanity.

Lois Sandborne

Lois Sandborne

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 9:02 AM

I love this thread's title. The first bit I ever saw of this show was Tre's "I can't read, Liz Lemon!" speech, so he was automatically and forevermore my favorite.

I'm with you, NCM, I hope we see more of his movie-making exploits. I'm also crossing my fingers for an epic showdown with the Black Crusaders.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 5:30 PM

I think one of the funniest things to happen to Tracy last season (and it was pretty much a one line joke) was the fact that the Nigerian Scam actually paid out for him.

The black crusaders thing was kind of weak since it was pretty much a rip off of a Dave Chapelle joke website, but Tracy really worked the material and made it funny.

Odyssea

Odyssea

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 2:27 AM

I love Tracy's inexplicable knowledge of random things - like which schools have good Hotel Management programs, or how the transitive property applies to video game skills. Come to think of it, maybe he was just smart for that one episode...

Edited by Odyssea, Sep 17, 2007 @ 2:27 AM.

Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 11:42 AM

I think one of the funniest things to happen to Tracy last season (and it was pretty much a one line joke) was the fact that the Nigerian Scam actually paid out for him.

I forget who first mentioned it, but upon repeated viewings I always wonder if that was another example of Grizz and Dot Com indulging Tracy, like how they let him win at Halo and repeatedly laugh at the same jokes.

I thought Tracy would bug me at first, but he adds alot to the show. He's a greater counterpoint to Jack's calm and in control demeanour. I do wonder though how much of it is just based on the real Tracy, kind of like Liz Lemon and Tina.

StaceyRosie

StaceyRosie

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, New York Yankees baseball

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 11:46 AM

I forget who first mentioned it, but upon repeated viewings I always wonder if that was another example of Grizz and Dot Com indulging Tracy, like how they let him win at Halo and repeatedly laugh at the same jokes.

I think it definitely is.

ImStillWatching

ImStillWatching

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 2:36 PM

Now I know plenty of people who do believe the Black Crusader/ Chappelle thing, and I never bothered looking into it until after I had actually seen the ep of 30rock. I thought the show was hilarious and have been hooked since. I'd never heard the DARK Crusaders thing as a joke, since I know ppl who really do take it seriously (let's not even get into that, it becomes a whole nother discussion). I hated the tracey morgan show, BTW, but I was definitely a fan of him on SNL. Brain Fellowes: Safari Planet should have spun off to Animal Planet.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 3:00 PM

Now I know plenty of people who do believe the Black Crusader/ Chappelle thing, and I never bothered looking into it until after I had actually seen the ep of 30rock. I thought the show was hilarious and have been hooked since. I'd never heard the DARK Crusaders thing as a joke, since I know ppl who really do take it seriously

I remember reading that Chapelle website and are you telling me that there are people who actually believe the Oprah some how managed to talk directly to Dave Chapelle through his TV and that is what led to him freaking out and leaving the show?

Personally I think the idea that the scam actually worked and a de-throned Nigerian Prince actually sent them a bunch of money is the funnier of the two possibilities. Plus correct me if I am wrong but donít those scams usually promise people a lot of money, I am not sure if I can see either of the guys putting up the money for Tracy (although Grizz is his money manager so he could just say they got a bunch of money).

Edited by Kel Varnsen, Sep 17, 2007 @ 3:01 PM.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 3:18 PM

Personally I think the idea that the scam actually worked and a de-throned Nigerian Prince actually sent them a bunch of money is the funnier of the two possibilities.

Exactly. In my own perception of the show, they got a big Nigerian check, for real.

Karoline

Karoline

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 3:29 PM

Yeah Tracy wasn't my favorite in the beginning, I must admit, but he has grown on me. Especially when he's around with DotCom and Grizz. And he just has some very random thoughts and ideas and he's very vocal about everything and I have just learned to love all that. Go Tracy!

onedollarshort

onedollarshort

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 8:48 AM

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but seeing as Tracy said it, I thought I'd share a picture of the present my brother designed and made for me for my birthday a few weeks ago. Every time I wear it I am reminded to live every week like it's Shark Week. Especially this week, in light of the Emmy win. Sadly, I live in Australia, so not many people know what the t-shirt means, but I've still had quite a few laughs even without the context. And I can't help but smile every time I catch sight of the expression on Tracy's face in that photograph.

NoirCommeMoi

NoirCommeMoi

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 1:31 PM

ODS, that is adorable! Your brother must be absolutely awes. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a couple of requests for some orders.

StaceyRosie

StaceyRosie

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, New York Yankees baseball

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 4:56 PM

That shirt is so awse.

I want one.

Kimbreely

Kimbreely

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 11:34 PM

I love how Tracy takes off his shirt at every opportunity!

NoirCommeMoi

NoirCommeMoi

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2007 @ 11:52 AM

Life half-assedly imitating art? Tracy Jordan will host VH1's Hip Hop Honors on Oct 8. Maybe a secret beef with honoree Snoop Dogg will drive Tre to dress as Oprah and offer maple scones to the audience? One can only hope...

MissCricket

MissCricket

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 9:26 PM

I never thought I would find Tracy Morgan so entertaining:

"Imagine Christmas wishes, shooting out of your eyes.."

I'm laughing just thinking about it. It almost seems like he's making it up on the spot... does anybody know if they do much ad-lib on this show?

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 12:32 AM

Tracy talks about that in this interview. According to him, they don't do much ad-libbing, but the writers do give them a little wiggle room. I'm guessing that means that the substance of everything is written, but the actors can change the wording a bit to funny it up.

ETA: Also, Tracy would really, really like you to know that he doesn't hate Jimmy Fallon. Really. S'okay, Trey, we were all annoyed that the dude couldn't keep a straight face on a live sketch comedy show. (Perhaps it was just me. Or perhaps everyone else was too busy being annoyed at Horatio Sanz. Either way, I'm not holding it against you.)

Edited by Shelwood, Oct 4, 2007 @ 12:35 AM.

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 10:49 PM

It's all writing, but Tina's been pretty upfront that she writes what she knows and she knows Tracy is CRAZY, seriously she said she follows him around and writes stuff down.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2007 @ 12:15 AM

I believe Jack McBrayer has said something very similar.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 1:33 PM

I love that Tracy knows the singular for paparazzi and uses it correctly. But I'm worried about what's going to happen when he gets overstimulated and Grizz isn't there to sit on him.

Aludra

Aludra

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2007 @ 10:27 PM

Please tell me someone else caught Tracy on Hip Hop Honors (taped it for ATCQ. I'm so in love with Ali Shaheed Muhammed). I've only watched the opening clips so far, where he's asked various questions about hip hop, and answers rather seriously but manages to drop a 'got my wife pregnant' line in there.

I so adore Tracy.

dustdevil

dustdevil

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2007 @ 12:46 AM

I was just coming here to post about the Hiphop Honors Aludra. My favorite line so far is "cab driver" Tracey grilling the passenger who just called him "homie" about what it means to be hiphop:

I'm gonna ask you a question. I'm gonna ask you a series of questions.

That one will be inserted into my daily vocabulary immediately.

Aludra

Aludra

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2007 @ 6:13 PM

Ha, nice. I'm so stealing that, too. The running you-ain't-hip hop jokes were great. I'd love to see them compiled.

SpicyWildflower

SpicyWildflower

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2007 @ 11:22 PM

I just watched the clip of Werewolf Bar Mitzvah for about the 50th (no lie) time this weekend. I just can't stop watching it and every time I watch I laugh my ass off.

I love Tracy Jordan he's just so damn random, you can never tell what to expect from his character and on television in this day and age that's just priceless.

Part of me is hoping that NBC will make an actual video, like they do with the My Name is Earl gang, but the other part is worried that a full length vid will ruin the awesomeness of those ten seconds of hilarity. So torn. I'll go watch the clip again to feel better.

"Men becoming Wolves!"

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2007 @ 10:08 AM

What I loved about "Werewolf Bar Mitzfah," among other things, is that when I heard, "Werewolf bar mitzfah/spooky,scary/boys becoming men," I expected the next line to be, "Men becoming hairy." But no, it was "Men becoming wolves." Not only is it a horrible gag song, it doesn't even rhyme.

Edited by lz1982, Oct 24, 2007 @ 10:08 AM.

Nantucket Jim

Nantucket Jim

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 29, 2007 @ 1:15 PM

Here's the full version of the song:
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah