Barney Stinson: I Hear That Guy's Awesome

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

103 replies to this topic

Dorker

Dorker

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 25, 2009 @ 10:07 AM

Something I don't get: Barney is good looking, charming, has no qualms about lying, and seems to have a whole lot of money. Does he really need all those pick up techniques to get women to sleep with him? I can understand the use of some of them for fast results, but say, wearing an eyepatch as an ice breaker? Really?

Edited by Dorker, Oct 25, 2009 @ 10:09 AM.

Shattered

Shattered

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2009 @ 2:34 PM

I think for him, part of it is the challenge and the deception are what really excite him. I think he knows he wouldn't have any trouble picking up women being himself, but then he would have to actually be himself, and that's not part of his game. He doesn't want to be himself to these women, he wants to be an astronaut, or a surgeon, or a peacekeeper, or whatever. He wants to be someone he's not. Under all the lies and facades, he's a pretty damaged and vulnerable guy, and he doesn't want anyone to see that.

And he seems to just get off on the challenge of it all, like trying to hook up with a young girl as an old man, or trying to pick up lesbians. Sure, there are easier ways to get women, but it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable.

Marquis Carabas

Marquis Carabas

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2009 @ 5:02 PM

The games and deception are shields Barney uses to protect himself. If Barney gets rejected it's the lie Barney told that's rejected not him. He doesn't want these women to know him because they can't reject him if they don't know him.

Barney's objectification of women is about self preservation.

thefourthslap

thefourthslap

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 8, 2009 @ 9:43 PM

I think it's pretty much all about excitement for Barney. Sure, we can all agree that underneath all his schemes he's a guy with a lot of personal issues but everyone has their issues. You can still be "yourself" without unearthing all of your inner emotional craters. If he wanted to he could easily still be "Barney Stinson" to a woman at a bar and just talk about his career and land her with witty jokes, with his inner scarring never coming up.

So that leaves the only explanation being that he uses all his crazy characters and backstories to get the adrenaline rush that goes along with them. Plus I'm sure the attention and respect he gets from his friends when he's succeeds (minus Lily, of course) doesn't hurt.

Rock42

Rock42

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2010 @ 7:59 PM

This occurred to me after that episode where Barney revealed that his goal was to sleep with 200 women to prove a point to the boy who picked on him in high school. Would a real-life Barney Stinson, with a goal of having meaningless one-night stands with as many beautiful strangers as possible, be as much of a gentleman? (And I'm using this term as loosely as possible.) Even though he's arguably a sociopath towards most women (excepting Lilly and Robin), so far, we haven't seen him do much worse (on camera at least) to achieve a conquest than telling women ridiculous lies or resorting to elaborate ruses. In other words, he hasn't drugged women (other than getting them drunk), used physical coercion, or otherwise crossed the line into date rape, especially not with the rare woman who turns him down or changes her mind. But would a real-life Barney Stinson be that honorable? (Again, using the term in the loosest sense.) Think of Kobe Bryant - a star pro basketball player who had/has hundreds of groupies throwing themselves at him - until one said no to him/changed her mind.

Rock42

Rock42

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2010 @ 9:18 PM

Recently, a man in Jerusalem, Israel was convicted of "Rape By Deception" - i.e. lying to a woman in order to get her to sleep with him. Barney had better stay out of Israel and pray this never catches on in the USA or he'll be facing multiple life sentences!

wingman78

wingman78

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 7:38 AM

Barney is just awesome. He´d get chicks even in Israel.
I am planning on testing my Barney game this weekend.
I will take my best buddy out to the city with me and we´ll see if we can score Barney style. I had to buy a suit for my sister´s wedding recently, which I will wear, borrowed one of the expensive Audemars Piguet watches from my dad, got myself a clean haircut and some got pickup lines. I am wondering how well I will do...

Edited by wingman78, Jul 22, 2011 @ 9:58 AM.

Hopping Llama

Hopping Llama

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 4:40 AM

So am I the only one watching "Suits" who keeps thinking of Barney and how if he was toned down a little he'd be awesome in it?

Pharangese

Pharangese

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

Barney Stinson is on the list of AfterElton's Top 50 Favorite Characters: he's number 17

Though “Suit up!” has entered the annals of instantly recognizable TV catchphrases, it’s always the perfect two-word command for summoning Barney Stinson’s gusto and conviction. Barney is dapper, hilarious, gleefully hypocritical, a self-vaunted “bro,” and one of the few people whose love of magic tricks doesn’t make us sprint for the door. It helps that Neil Patrick Harris is perhaps the most charismatic sitcom actor of the past decade.

CleoCaesar

CleoCaesar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Barney is a disgusting date rapist. He treats women like shit and is gleeful about it. Then he cracks a sob story and we're supposed to feel sorry for him. He lies about who he is and gets women drunk enough to lower their defenses. Rape culture embodied in one misogynist pig character.

HappyBerry

HappyBerry

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

I'm really not sure why I'm supposed to still like Barney. The latest thing, with the stroller design purely for breast ogling with the implication that it can be used to look up skirts? I think in the first few seasons, he really was just kind of a goofy guy that used ridiculous pick-up lines. Sure, he was a bit of a horndog, but most of his pick-up lines and acts were so over the top that it was kind of funny. But now, I can't stand him. It is pretty obvious women are just objects to him, I don't care if it is something to cover up some sort of inner vulnerability or whatever excuses people use to defend his character. So much of the pre-nup with Quinn covered her remaining physically attractive to him. I don't discount that he might actually be attracted to Robin's personality, but I still think she is too good for him merely because I don't see her still feeling the same about her in 10 or 15 years, or even just two if she starts gaining weight and is less conventionally attractive. After all, she already has the fatal (to him) flaw of being over 30. Even Lily, who is one of the women he treats better than most is sometimes reduced down to being nothing more than a pair of breasts.

I know somebody further up declared that he didn't use illegal drugs on women, just alcohol. However, I would argue that using alcohol in order to lower someone's defenses just in order to sleep with here, while not illegal is morally reprehensible.

I could buy him being with somebody long-term if he had started where he is now and slowly started to develop a more respectful, less objectifying view of women. As it is, I feel bad for any woman that ends up with him.

Edited by HappyBerry, Oct 16, 2012 @ 10:11 PM.

BartD

BartD

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 31, 2012 @ 6:58 AM

The problem is that they've gone over a line between him being goofy into him being downright despicable.

It's kind of obvious they still think this last season how they write him is hilarious but a lot of the jokes are downright offensive. An example was how they used to dress him up previously and land women, it used to be silly costumes but him impersonating a cop and forcing someone in bed in such a way, there's a line they shouldn't cross.

Robert1995

Robert1995

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

I love Barney but they need to tone him down. They rely on him too much for jokes recently and have taken him way OTT. The police joke made me uncomfortable too tbh.

vienibenmio

vienibenmio

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

Even though he's arguably a sociopath towards most women (excepting Lilly and Robin), so far, we haven't seen him do much worse

In "The Bracket" he says that he once sold a woman. And he said it when apologizing to that blonde woman and not to impress anyone, so I'm guessing it's true.

The police and judge "joke" went way over the line for me as well. That's pretty much coercion.

It's definitely gotten to the point where I don't want him to marry anyone, especially Robin. I was okay with Quinn because she played him as badly as he played her.

Edited by vienibenmio, Dec 10, 2012 @ 12:11 PM.