Barney Stinson: I Hear That Guy's Awesome

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

103 replies to this topic

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 5:44 PM

Suit up, people! Time to talk about everyone's favourite wingman!

So who else thinks that NPH is a lock to win the Emmy this weekend?

bfragrant

bfragrant

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 6:12 PM

I'm not sure that he is a lock (this is the Emmy's we are talking about), but if I had the ability to somehow make it happen, I so would.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 7:12 PM

I would say he deserves to win the Emmy, but, as bfragrant said, this is the Emmys we're talking about.

The character of Barney is really written well, but it could have gotten real tiresome, real fast. IMO, NPH's talent and charm really gives heart to what could otherwise have been a one-note character. TPTB knew it when they cast the role (I assume they had seen Doogie Houser, Clara's Heart *and* Harold and Kumar...) so they knew what they had to work with, and NPH has taken the role and run with it.

Edited because if you're going to use apostrophes, by all means use them correctly.

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Sep 14, 2007 @ 8:20 PM.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 7:54 PM

(I assume they had seen Doogie Houser, Clara's Heart *and* Harold and Kumar...)

Not to mention his dazzling stage work, like Rent, Proof, Cabaret, Assassins, and Sweeney Todd. (The latter two are recorded, and there's even a DVD of Sweeney.)

bfragrant

bfragrant

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 8:41 PM

I realized that the quotes thread is also labeled Legend....Wait for it...
So maybe the thread title to this can be something else to avoid confusion.

Barney Stinson: A.K.A Swarley

or

Barney Stinson: Swarley!!!

Maybe?

Edited by bfragrant, Sep 14, 2007 @ 8:42 PM.

Drew T.

Drew T.

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 10:24 PM

One of the creators mentioned that they actually envisioned a Chris Farley type for the role, but NPH's audition was brilliant, and they couldn't overlook it. Apparently, he actually rolled on the floor when reading the laser tag scene, and that was what told them he was the one. (Of course, I think they did both enjoy the Harold and Kumar role, too).

Obviously, it was the right call because Barney's awesome.

surfsup79

surfsup79

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 10:17 AM

I really hope they turn Barney too mean like they did at the end of this season. Yeah sure he did some things that were nice but I just hope it still comes across as believable that Ted, Lily, Robin and Marshall actually want to hang out with him. I really don't want their to be more truck stealing, party ruining, selfish Barney as much this season.

Edited by surfsup79, Sep 15, 2007 @ 11:54 AM.

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 10:42 AM

Oh, I never saw it as Barney being mean. Self-centered, yes. But in his own way, he's trying to help his friends.

I love this character so much and (repeating myself) NPH better damn well get that Emmy.

Llamaface

Llamaface

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 5:18 PM

I actually Barney as getting uncharacteristically nice toward the end of the season. He was so involved in Marshall and Lily's wedding, and gave them all his stuff from TPIR, and couldn't stop crying at the ceremony. The prank stuff, like stealing the van, just seemed like classic Barney shenanigans to me.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 6:34 PM

I realized that the quotes thread is also labeled Legend....Wait for it...
So maybe the thread title to this can be something else to avoid confusion.

The worst of it is, I named both of 'em! (Did this one first, the realised that "Legend.. wait for it... dary Quotes" was the perfect name for a quotes thread.)

How about "Barney Stitson: Suit up!"

ScarlettLynn

ScarlettLynn

Fanatic

• Interests:I'm here because I'm completely addicted to television.

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 6:42 PM

"Suit up!" works... it is kind of his catch phrase.

I really hope they turn Barney too mean like they did at the end of this season.

I've never really thought of Barney as mean. And especially at the end of the season... he married Marshall & Lily. He's harsh and blunt and selfish and even occasionally kind of a jerk but he's usually all of that and loves his friends completely.

I think he's definitely got a chance and I'd LOVE to see him win because he just elevates all of his lines to instant levels of awesome.

surfsup79

surfsup79

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 6:48 PM

Well IMO in Bachelor Party he deserved to not be invited to the wedding like Marshall said. I just don't want to ever see him be that selfish again because he was harsh to his friends I actually wondered after that why they would want to still be friends (before Lily told what Barney did). He wasn't like that in Season 1 at all. Sure he made comments about Ted's quest but that was about it. I'd rather that Barney.

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 7:54 PM

How about "Barney Stitson: Suit up!"

Perfect!

bfragrant

bfragrant

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 7:57 PM

The worst of it is, I named both of 'em!

LOL. But suit up is perfect!

dealan

dealan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 12:50 AM

That or "overflowing with awesome," but I like Suit Up better.

Jaman

Jaman

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 12:54 PM

Oh, man. I love "overflowing with awesome" too, but I think that "suit up" is the better choice. Maybe NPH's actor thread could be the former?

caia1970

caia1970

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 2:19 PM

How about Barney Stinson: "I hear that guy's awesome."?

Edited by caia1970, Sep 17, 2007 @ 2:19 PM.

Snowden

Snowden

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 4:53 PM

I really hope they turn Barney too mean like they did at the end of this season. Yeah sure he did some things that were nice but I just hope it still comes across as believable that Ted, Lily, Robin and Marshall actually want to hang out with him. I really don't want their to be more truck stealing, party ruining, selfish Barney as much this season.

One of my favorite aspects of the show is that the friends are committed to each other. They take Barney, warts and all.

Edited by Snowden, Sep 17, 2007 @ 4:53 PM.

dealan

dealan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 9:04 PM

How about Barney Stinson: "I hear that guy's awesome."?

I change my vote to this. Because he is.

One of my favorite aspects of the show is that the friends are committed to each other. They take Barney, warts and all.

Agreed. Part of the appeal of Barney is that he's not a complete asshole and he can be so on the money, just in a scathingly funny way. For all the times he steals Ted's truck, he also is pretty earnest and equally determined to make sure Ted is having fun. He's incredibly over-the-top, but there is substance to him, a method to the madness so to speak, and underneath the cad, he's actually a good guy and a good friend. You just have to get him, which the rest of them do.

Edited by dealan, Sep 17, 2007 @ 9:08 PM.

big chicken

big chicken

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 11:06 PM

I hope the story of why Barney chose Ted for a best friend gets told. Why Ted? Was it soon after his transformation from Hippie!Barney to SuitedUp!Barney? And I'd love know how Lily and Marshall dealt with this guy horning in on their little trio.

Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 6:04 AM

I wonder if Barney saw a little of Hippie!Barney in Ted? Bareny's transformation was a result of gettign his heart broken. I wonder if he decided to try to help Ted see the error of his ways? It would be a great flashback episode.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 6:10 PM

Good choice with the new header. :)

bonjourananas

bonjourananas

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Veronica Mars and writing my thesis on VM. Being crafty.

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 11:02 PM

I'd love to see a flashback of how Barney chose Ted. Actually, I pretty much love every episode where the emphasis is on Barney. I love the other characters, but Barney Stinson is a cornucopia of awesomeness.

Jaman

Jaman

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 12:32 AM

What's really interesting to me about Barney is that no matter how much airtime he gets, he doesn't get old. Like, on The Office, when they have a Dwight-heavy episode I almost want to turn it off 5 minutes from the end because it's just TOO much. But, not Barney. He's the lovechild of great writing and great acting.

uncommonwoman

uncommonwoman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 10:58 AM

Yes! He's always entertaining and enjoyable and doesn't get old in the way that a lot of quirky over the top characters do.

And I love your "lovechild of great writing and great acting" statement. That's so on the mark.

lila

lila

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 11:06 AM

Am I the only one sitting here waiting for Barney to update his blog? He totally promised!

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 11:07 AM

You are not alone. :-)

TravelMug

TravelMug

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 3:07 PM

He's incredibly over-the-top, but there is substance to him, a method to the madness so to speak, and underneath the cad, he's actually a good guy and a good friend. You just have to get him, which the rest of them do.

And he really does keep the group from sliding into "Grandparents from Willy Wonka" territory.

I think they would've been hard-pressed to find another actor who could've played this role without making it obnoxious or tiresome after two seasons.

Zif

Zif

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2007 @ 12:51 PM

What I find interesting about Barney is that usually characters like him tend to be inept in one area or another. (Back in the old HIMYM thread, comparisons were made to Coupling's Patrick and Geoff; the former was a complete idiot, though, and the latter was completely socially retarded when it came to women.) Barney, on the other hand, is determined and enthusiastic enough to accomplish whatever it is he sets his mind to: perfecting the art of The Price Is Right, running a marathon, and so on.

NPH's line readings kill me dead, without fail. It's not so much the lines themselves, but his delivery:

"...unless you qualify for multiple entry. Haaah." (Laughing at his own joke.)
"Correct! The answer /was/ 'Awkward silence.'"
I especially love his forlorn, "I should be out there...playing laser tag."
"Spoiler alert! The robot falls in love." (And then he actually shrugs apologetically, like, "Sorry to have ruined it for you.")

Edited by Zif, Oct 2, 2007 @ 3:39 PM.

adri278

adri278

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 12:35 AM

I'm re-watching 'How Lily Stole Christmas' right now, and I've got to say, sick!Barney alone makes this one of my favorite episodes. I mean, there's the well-known "My nose is full of awesome..." line, but when Barney sneezed in that girl's face in the bar and then had his cough/sneeze attack in the hallway, I couldn't breathe I was laughing so hard. NPH is just made of win.

Edited by adri278, Oct 3, 2007 @ 12:38 AM.