Questions & Answers: Let's Go To The Information Desk

• Please log in to reply

323 replies to this topic

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Nov 26, 2009 @ 12:04 AM

Does Ted have more than one sister? I'm rewatching the episode which introduced Barney's brother and Ted mentioned that his sister married someone he didn't like (socks and sandals). Is that the same sister who moved to New York (who we haven't met at this point, right?)?

Enigma13

Enigma13

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2009 @ 12:36 AM

akg, we did meet Ted's sister in season 4 ("Little Minnesota"); she moved to New York and has not been mentioned since. I'm fairly certain Heather is his only sibling; in season 2's "Brunch", after Ted finds out his parents have divorced, they tell him not to tell his 'sister', singular.

In that S4 episode I think Ted mentioned she had been married for like a month or some similarly short period of time; that was probably to the 'socks and sandals' guy.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

akg, we did meet Ted's sister in season 4 ("Little Minnesota");

Sorry, I didn't phrase my question well. I meant we hadn't met the sister before the socks and sandals mention.

In that S4 episode I think Ted mentioned she had been married for like a month or some similarly short period of time; that was probably to the 'socks and sandals' guy.

Thank you. I love it when the writers make sense and remember their history.

Steve J Rogers

Steve J Rogers

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 9:25 PM

This isn't really so much a HIMYM question, but I was thinking recently about Future Ted's substitution of eating hoagie sandwiches for marijuana and wondering if "eating sandwiches" is an actual code for weed?

Well, the reason why, I'm listening to a podcast, and one of the hosts apparently does not like sandwiches and was telling a story about being in a limo with his co-host and others, and they were all eating sandwiches and he was holding his shirt up to his nose so he wouldn't get sick from the smells.

At this point I wondered if he really did mean that everyone but him was smoking weed in the limo. But I realized that both hosts, as well as other shows on the same podcasting network are very open about drug use and whatever, they wouldn't censor or use code when discussing being in a place where weed was being smoked.

But, that did make me wonder if sandwiches are a code for marijuana or was it just something made up for the show?

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 2:20 PM

With the exception of HIMYM, I have never heard or seen sandwiches used as a euphemism for pot, before or since.

sweetwilliam

sweetwilliam

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2011 @ 7:54 PM

Where is Ted living right now? Is he in the dilapidated old house he bought last season? If not, what happened to that house?

Enigma13

Enigma13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2011 @ 3:15 AM

Pretty sure they haven't mentioned the house since the episode where he bought it last season; in any event, he's still living in the same apartment above MacLaren's.

Scrubs9

Scrubs9

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

What happened to the slanted apartment that Lily and Marshall bought?

Steve J Rogers

Steve J Rogers

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

They sold it immediately when they got the Long Island house. Apparently a neighbor wanted to create a duplex.

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

Forgive me for asking but where does Robin live now? Lily & Marshall are back in the original apartment, Ted is in Quinn's vacated apartment (the fate of which I assume depends on what Quinn does when she inevitably breaks up with Barney), but where are Robin's new digs? We didn't see it, did we?

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

Forgive me for asking but where does Robin live now? Lily & Marshall are back in the original apartment, Ted is in Quinn's vacated apartment (the fate of which I assume depends on what Quinn does when she inevitably breaks up with Barney), but where are Robin's new digs? We didn't see it, did we?

When Robin moved out of Ted's apartment, she roomed with her annoying co-worker Patrice. I know they showed Patrice eagerly awaiting her arrival but I don't know if they ever showed Robin living there.

When she got the anchor job and met Ted in the bar, she told him that she'd gotten an apartment in Central Park West. Which is a really expensive area, so it must've been one hell of a promotion. And as far as I can remember they haven't showed Robin's CPW apartment yet.

Edited by mbd, Jul 7, 2012 @ 4:44 PM.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Does anything rule out Ted from being a stepfather to the children? I know they call him Dad, but I can't remember if he ever states anything like "when I watched you being born" etc. Because if they are the mother's children to some other guy, then I guess he has a bit longer to meet her, ie when the kids are already born (or at least conceived - for some reason I can see Ted falling for a pregnant woman whose partner is not in the picture).

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

Does anything rule out Ted from being a stepfather to the children?

Not that I can recall right now, but considering it seems Lyndsey Fonseca as the daughter and the actor cast as the son seem to favor Ted's overall coloring, etc., not to mention that if they were stepchildren, I doubt the 2030 thing would even be in play (since Ted could meet them after birth - yet the year still matters), I continue to assume the kids are Ted's bio-kids with Mystery Mother.

Edited by WendyCR72, Sep 7, 2012 @ 11:26 PM.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

Does anything rule out Ted from being a stepfather to the children?

I can't remember the name of the episode, but there was a flash forward to Marshall, Ted, and Barney watching the real Star Wars trilogy. Barney was uspet that Ted invited a girl to their traditional guy's event. Pan over to Ted holding his baby daughter.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

Yeah, I remember that. I was thinking though that if Ted met the mother while she was pregnant with the girl and went through the birth with her, he could consider the baby to be his daughter immediately (as in, and I can't believe I'm referencing this, the movie Look Who's Talking). He seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't have a problem being 'dad' even if he was technically a stepdad. Also, I wouldn't put too much weight on the kids' appearance, as they were cast long before the showrunners have had to work out the final outcome (if they even have yet).

However, as the boy is younger, that would imply Ted fathers the boy and not the girl, which probably doesn't take us anywhere interesting. But if it could be that they're both stepchildren, it would lend a little twist to the premise, I think: instead of 'how I met my wife' it would truly become 'how I met YOUR mother' and it could be his way of making sure the kids understand what a big deal it was to him to join their family. Yet that wouldn't really make sense, though, because if he'd been around since one was a baby, presumably they'd understand that by now. I'm probably just spitballing. Ignore me.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

I don't think anything so far has confirmed that Ted is absolutely the kids' biological father, so it's not outside the realm of possibility for him to be a step-dad.

However, I don't think that's where they're going with this. I feel like they put that possibility to bed when Ted didn't wind up marrying Stella and becoming a step-dad to her kid.

With the tight timeline (Ted will be a new dad by 2015), it's possible that he gets The Mother pregnant before he marries her. I think they'll get away with a short courtship, though, since he's in his mid-30s and has dated/been through a lot already and finally knows what he wants. And if The Mother is his match then she will have likely been through the same stuff, so they'll know The Real Rhing when they see it.

Robin is Ted's yardstick. He will know he's met The One when she can outshine Robin.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

What college did Ted, Marshall, and Lily attend?

I always thought it was Wesleyan (in Connecticut). But I was watching a rerun of the Woo Girls episode last night, and during a scene in Marshall's office his college diploma is hanging in the background and it says "Ohio Wesleyan."

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

Maybe they had a temporary set designer or were trying to see if Carter Bays and Craig Thomas would notice? Because everything else points to Wesleyan University.

stephf13

stephf13

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

I've always assumed they went to Ohio Wesleyan University. What on the show points to Wesleyan in CT?

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

I've always assumed they went to Ohio Wesleyan University. What on the show points to Wesleyan in CT?

They've always just said "Wesleyan," plus Ted and Marshall often wear Wesleyan shirts. Does Ohio Wesleyan ever refer to itself as just "Wesleyan"?

And then there was the episode about Marshall's old Fiero, when Ted and Marshall went on that long road trip together in college. Marshall was driving home to Minnesota for Christmas and offered to drop Ted off at his home in Ohio in exchange for some gas money.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

Ted (or rather the Mysterious Dr. X) also worked at WESU, Wesleyan University's student radio station. They have also made mention of specific dining halls and dorms. Plus, Thomas and Bays have said they based the show on their alma mater, Wesleyan University.

Hopping Llama

Hopping Llama

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

How many proposals is that for ted now?

It's not normal to ask that many women to marry you?

BartD

BartD

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 3:07 AM

It's not normal to ask that many women to marry you?

Considering how many plots they're borrowing from Friends, they might be turning him into a poor man's Ross.

lostinube

lostinube

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 4:27 AM

He wasn't a poor man's Ross already?

Wait, how many times has Ted proposed? Only to Stella, right?

Rather, he's probably said "I love you" one too many times to the wrong person.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

He proposed to Stella, then did a mock proposal to Robin when they agreed to get married at 40 if neither of them were married (and then Ted called it off in "No Pressure," so I'm counting that as a proposal since it was an agreement to get married), then he proposed to Victoria this past week.

Again, in "No Pressure," Ted told Robin that he could give up the idea of kids if he could just be with her. Not a proper proposal, but the offer was still out there.

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

I've been only half heartedly watching, so maybe this was brought up and I missed it. But Ted is living in Quinn's apartment because she moved in with Barney...so when they broke up, shouldn't he have moved out? Did he buy out her lease?
Also, where is Robin living?

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

Quinn moved out of her apartment to live with Barney, and then Ted took Quinn's apartment. I guess Quinn found a new place.

Robin got a place by herself on the Ipper West Side when she landed the helicopter and was promoted to co-anchor.

Haldebrandt

Haldebrandt

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 4:24 PM

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question, but here goes: I generally dislike sitcoms, but being recently desperate for something new to watch, I gave this one a chance, and ended liking it quite a bit. It successfully captures the setting and dynamics that made Friends a classic already, but with a bolder, often non-linear storytelling. I am 18 episodes into the first season (so please beware of spoilers in your replies).

Here is my question: Does the entire series revolve around Ted's search for "the one?" I am enjoying the show so far, but I don't think I can take 8 seasons of this narrow focus on Ted's 14-year-old-girl attitude toward relationships.

The first season has also given some significant time to Marshall and Lilly's relationship, but that's about it. There are no sublots that delve into anyone else's relationships, and there are absolutely NO subplot that do NOT involve romantic relationships at all. Right now I can't recall what Ted does for a living for the life of me. Obviously, romance will be central to a show called How I Met Your Mother. Central, but not everything, or so I hope. But it's turning out that unlike say, Friends, this sitcom is entirely consumed with romance to the exclusion of literally everything else.

So my question really is, is there ever more to the show? Does it ever explore anything else that might be of interest to a group of "20-somethings living in New York" beside how to get hitched?

Thanks.

Edited by Haldebrandt, Jan 5, 2013 @ 4:30 PM.

bluemancar

bluemancar

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 10:46 PM

Haldebrandt

After 7.5 seasons, we still haven't met the mother. Rather than focus on the hook (meeting the mother), it would be best to view the show as being about the lives of young professionals living in New York. That includes dating, marriage, children, family, and career.

The first few seasons are very good. After that, opinions vary wildly.

Haldebrandt

Haldebrandt

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 9:49 AM

Bluemancar, thanks, but that's not at all what I asked! :-) The question is: Is the series ever concerned with anything other than romance?

Edited by Haldebrandt, Jan 6, 2013 @ 9:51 AM.