Spoilers: The Future of the Past

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

1373 replies to this topic

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

These past 3 episodes of #HIMYM have been great. — @mksystem74
They sure have. And there’s plenty more goodies to come. How can I be TOTALLY sure? In an upcoming episode where Lily’s in labor (that will air before the finale!) the gang will distract Lily from the pain of labor by telling her stories. Twenty-two stories to be exact — yes, math-letes, that’s one for every minute of airtime! And I’m told the stories are as random as can be and take place at different times during the gang’s time together — and apart.

FtMyer7

FtMyer7

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

Wikipedia has the season finale being called 'The Magician's Code' and has this info:

In a flash-forward to Barney’s wedding day, his bride-to-be is ultimately revealed, and the gang reminisces about the time when they encouraged Ted to follow his heart and go after the one that got away.[2]

Also, in flashbacks to each of Barney’s, Robins's and Quinn's youth, it is learned that Barney's magic teacher may have conned his mom, Robin had a history of shoplifting and that Quinn was required to interview "a sort of wilting Gypsy Rose Lee" for a school project

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

In a flash-forward to Barney’s wedding day, his bride-to-be is ultimately revealed, and the gang reminisces about the time when they encouraged Ted to follow his heart and go after the one that got away.

"The one that got away?" It had better not be Robin.

I mean, I doubt it's going to be Victoria, Stella, or Zoey. It's not a very long list of exes Ted was that serious about. Unless they're throwing a new girl in at the last moment.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

In a flash-forward to Barney’s wedding day, his bride-to-be is ultimately revealed, and the gang reminisces about the time when they encouraged Ted to follow his heart and go after the one that got away.

I was originally going to suggest that this meant that Ted would give it one more shot with Cindy, and then he would finally meet The Mother through her. But the last time Ted saw Cindy she was making out with her future wife, so that's probably not it.

Or it could be a really far flash-forward .. Ted might have missed out on dating The Mother for some reason, or they dated a while and broke it off, and then the gang convinces him to go after her again.

If it's about Robin, then I hope Ted finally realizes that he doesn't want her anymore, which is the closure I think he needs to have in order to really be able to commit to whoever The Mother winds up being.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

I think it could be Robin because of the heavy hints all throughout this season, especially the episode of Ted wanting Robin back. But it could be just one last valiant effort, although I don't know why the gang would be encouraging him to go after Robin again. I think they all know Robin's feelings to him and unless she has suddenly changed her mind and she magically realizes that she's still in love with him, then I don't see why the 'one that got away' should be Robin.

Nonetheless, I sincerely doubt that Ted and Robin will ever give it another chance. Unless this turns into a Ross/Rachel type situation and they are randomly thrown back together after breaking up six years ago, then I hope it's some other girl that may be brought back. Maybe a girl that was a one time guest star.

As for the bride reveal, I'm still thinking that it's not gonna be Quinn. I don't know why, but having her as the bride will certainly make many fans angry, although I guess some could be pleased. Besides, would Barney, the guy that has been so against marriage for his entire life, propose to a woman who he's just met in less than six months? Sure, he can move in with her but marriage is a big deal and I'm hoping that the writers would be smart to realize that Barney would only get married to a woman who he's known for a long time and has a reason to get married. If he got married to Quinn, then IMHO, it would be incredibly out of character. Sure, he's smitten over Quinn and has moved in with her not even a month into their relationship (and I even think that's slightly out of character for him) but marriage is much different. So I'm hoping that whatever happens in the finale, it has Barney and Quinn deciding to break up. And I heard that the two of them get stopped in the airport because of something metal that Barney doesn't want opened and I hope it's not an engagement ring. I'm hoping they stick to a comedic route, have Quinn thinking it's a ring but it turns out to be something else. Because proposing Barney, although in character for season 7 Barney, isn't very consistent to the Barney I've seen. Unless he does propose and Quinn turns him down, then I wouldn't be happy with them staying together.

But I'm hoping that it is Robin who is the bride and they have season 8 bringing them back together. Not just because I am a Robin/Barney shipper but because she's the only logical person I can see Barney getting married to within his characterization.

wrxfanatic

wrxfanatic

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

OK, based on the last episode, I figure that, in 2015, Ted is married to Barney and the baby is from a surrogate, the "mother." The trilogy sequence, with Barney bragging that he rejects any possibility of commitment, is proof that Barney can't relate to women. He acts like a gay guy trying to pretend he's straight. And let's not forget that he met (picked up?) Ted in the bathroom, typical gay move. Let's face it, Ted has no excuse at this point for not settling down with someone -- even he's starting to realize that something's wrong. Yep, gay all the way. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

hnygrl808

hnygrl808

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

Newsflash my little friend, Neal Patrick Harris, AKA Barney Stinson, IS GAY. So if it's coming across as a "gay guy trying to play straight?" It may be because in real life he really IS a GAY GUY Playing STRAIGHT. Your Gaydar is working perfectly.

Remember season 1 when he went to the computer dating place and they told him they had found his "perfect match" and he was supposed to meet her at Maclaren's but decided he wanted Robin instead?

Maybe THAT is the "one that got away?"

wrxfanatic

wrxfanatic

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Of course Harris is gay. But he's an actor, and he's supposed to be able to play a straight guy. My point is that the character he's playing is a classic heterosexual male who's hiding his gay nature. He never relates to any of these women. He's overcompensating. He's trying to prove to himself that he's straight. Even the episodes where he is supposed to be pursuing a serious relationship with a woman ring hollow. Harris is not that bad an actor. It's the way it's written.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

God I hope its not Robin and Ted again. I have been over that possibility for several years. ANd repeatedly telling your kids how you tried and tried and tried to marry someone else before their mom is kind of creepy and stupid

Edited by HickoryColt, Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:06 AM.

SydNC

SydNC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

We've only seen them do this once, with Robin, in the first episode. Why would they be talking about this? Because it ties in with Barney, who is getting married to the one who got away, Robin.

okgal

okgal

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

Regarding Barney's wedding - he could very well be marrying Quinn, because remember she told him once that the only way she would give up stripping would be if she got married. And last weeks episode showed him asking her to give it up or getting a different job. But he could also be marrying Robin - because so far when they've "flashforwarded" to Barney's wedding, we've seen everyone BUT Robin (including Lily finding Ted & telling him that the bride wanted to talk to him). I will say that it does have me puzzled.

Gayla

Gayla

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

(including Lily finding Ted & telling him that the bride wanted to talk to him)

This is what makes me think that Barney is marrying Robin. I can't come up with a reason why Quinn would be asking to see Ted. But it's easy to imagine why Robin would.

Also, if it is Robin's wedding where Ted meets the mother, then starting the whole story with how he met Robin makes some tiny degree of sense.

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

Ausiello disusses 16 big spoilers for Season 8

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

from what I've read from the above link. I figure that we're going to meet the Mother during the season premier.

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 8:53 AM

Brad is Back!

mwitter2003

mwitter2003

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

Why I still believe Robin is the mother.

In "Definitions" Barney and Robin are locked in a room with Lilly not letting them out until they define the relationship, but in "Robin 101" Barney opens the window and begins to leave on the fire escape, meaning Robin and Barney could have left whenever they chose to. Maybe they went to see how Ted was doing. Everytime time it mentions the mother being in the class, it never states shes a student.

In "No tomorrow" Robin goes with Lilly and Marshall and Barney and Ted go to a bar. We're told Ted didn't know the mother was their. These 2 stories may not have happened at the same time. I think they happened at different times of the night. Ted was butt dialing Marshall the enitre night and Marshall never acknowledges the constant calls he's getting from Ted. Robin may have left Lilly and Marshall and went out.

In "Girls vs Suits" Cindys roomate is the mother. The same time Robin is working crazy hours as a very early news anchor. Robin may have found a place closer to work to crash. In support of this theory in "Big days" Ted mets Cindy at McClarens. Notice the only time Cindy comes to the table to talk to Ted, Robin already left the bar to change. Former roommates would exchange dialogue and it would give it away. The writers knew this.

I believe the narrator says things like "if she would of met me, she wouldn't of liked me" and "how i met your mother" are metaphors. Robin and Ted aren't who they need to be as individuals to have a successful relationship.

Robin misses Robots vs Wrestlers to be with Don. If she was there would there be dialogue about her paintings of Robots playing sports. This is something we're told the mother does.

In Disaster Averted Robin is wearing the yelllow raincoat which would match the umbrella

Edited by mwitter2003, Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:37 PM.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

Then how to you explain "Aunt Robin"?

rosetattoo

rosetattoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2012 @ 5:40 AM

Wow, you really need to let this go, it's not happening.
Robin doesn't have kids
She doesn't adopt kids
She doesn't employ a Surrogacy

Much as I love Ted and Robin, it's not going to happen only in Fan Fiction

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 8, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

It's been fairly well-established throughout the show's life cycle that Robin is "Aunt Robin." There haven't been any spoilers to indicate otherwise and until there are are, this is pretty far-fetched speculation that I would like to put a pin in now please and thanks.

BarbinChelena

BarbinChelena

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 13, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

Robin is "aunt Robin" I don't understand why people keep bring this up. Barney and Robin are getting married and that's final people have to stop complaining about something that will never happen again.

As for the recent spoilers, the first episode looks to be a good one and I love that Brad and Crush Guy are back even though Crush Guy will not last I did like him for a bit when he was on.

Steve J Rogers

Steve J Rogers

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 27, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

All the way back in Lucky Penny they first introduce the idea that the mother can't be Robin as Future Ted said if he had moved to Chicago, he never would have met the mother of his children.

Also in that season's finale, Future Ted is going on about how Robin went on to be a world traveling journalist while "Me? I met your mother."

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

Once again. There are no spoilers to indicate that the show plans to switch the established plotline of Robin as "aunt Robin." If and when there are, this will be the place to talk about it.

In the meantime, wishful thoughts about Robin-as-the-mother belong in the Robin thread or the Robin and Ted thread. Speculating about Robin as the mother is in no way a spoiler at this point in the game so it's OK to express those (probably futile) hopes and dreams there as long as you express them as opinions/hopes.

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

According to an interview with Cobie Smolders, the aforementioned wedding is to take place at the end of the new season. Either she is lying, or we're going to meet the mother sometime this season.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

According to an interview with Cobie Smolders, the aforementioned wedding is to take place at the end of the new season. Either she is lying, or we're going to meet the mother sometime this season.

Has this season been confirmed to be the last one yet? I know that they originally planned to end it after eight seasons but the creators have hinted around that they're open to 9 or even 10 if CBS offers it.

And i thought I read somewhere that Jason Segal will bow out even if they choose to go for a ninth season or more after this.

Logically, though, Ted has to meet The Mother soon. Their daughter is likely born in late 2014/early 2015 (from the looks of The Trilogy episode) so they're going to have a pretty short courtship as it is.

rosetattoo

rosetattoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 4:16 AM

Logically, though, Ted has to meet The Mother soon. Their daughter is likely born in late 2014/early 2015 (from the looks of The Trilogy episode) so they're going to have a pretty short courtship as it is.

There is no specific date mentioned in Trilogy, just the year 2015, so the daughter could be born December 2015, which means she would need to get pregnant around March 2015.

Edited by rosetattoo, Sep 14, 2012 @ 4:38 AM.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

There is no specific date mentioned in Trilogy, just the year 2015, so the daughter could be born December 2015, which means she would need to get pregnant around March 2014.

You're not wrong. But I was operating under the assumption that they watch the trilogy on the same approximate date every three years, not just, "We last watched it in May 2012 so now we'll watch in November 2015."

rosetattoo

rosetattoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 7:17 AM

You're not wrong. But I was operating under the assumption that they watch the trilogy on the same approximate date every three years, not just, "We last watched it in May 2012 so now we'll watch in November 2015."

Where did you pull May from though, unless you mean the month it was released? They may not have watched it then they may have waited till end of year finals or something where they would be together

Edited by rosetattoo, Sep 16, 2012 @ 7:18 AM.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

Where did you pull May from though, unless you mean the month it was released? They may not have watched it then they may have waited till end of year finals or something where they would be together

I used May as an example.

Actually, I really did think that Trilogy Time aired in may, but Wikipedia is telling me that it aired April 9.

I'm inclined to think that they would watch it around the same date every three years to keep it up as a tradition, but who knows. It may just happen whenever they get around to it.

Syma

Syma

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

If this is the case, I don't understand how they are going to give the audience a chance to get to know the mother. Not that they've worried about doing that with other characters who they've recently introduced.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

It would be hilarious if Patrice were Your Mother.