The Bachelor In The Media: Roses And Lemons

• Please log in to reply

4958 replies to this topic

candlestick

candlestick

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

They said she has a ring? They're still filming.

According to the article, she is the one who picked out the ring in advance (for her F1 to give her) rather than let the two finalists pick out the rings themselves. Good thinking considering how ugly a ring finalists like Ed picked out.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

Oh, WOW, about Emily picking her ring ahead of time. Just ... wow. Talk about controlling. Not that I didn't notice that about her in her interviews with Brad after their engagement. She went from being the SweetYoungThing to a cold and calculating beyotch IMO. I actually felt sorry for Brad. He really needed therapy after choosing (and losing) her.

I guess if I knew the woman I was competing for with 24 other guys had a quarter million up-front bucks, I'd Try Harder. Maybe even go all Courtney on her. (Whatever that means for a guy.)

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

Oh, WOW, about Emily picking her ring ahead of time. Just ... wow. Talk about controlling.

Jillian has said that before the show she met with Neil Lane and discussed what kind of a ring she'd like so I don't think any of the 'ettes are disappointed in what the guy picks out.

pitchy

pitchy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:56 AM

Well, it may just be the publicity tour and a payoff if they get however far with the couple routinn, but Ben actually does look sort of happy here.
http://hotcelebscand...ying-in-sonoma/

Philyra

Philyra

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

Two black men who auditioned for the next season of "The Bachelor" are suing Mike Fleiss and ABC for racial discrimination. I've been disappointed by the lack of racial diversity in the show for years, so I'm curious as to whether this case has any merit, and how it'll turn out.

Here's a more in-depth article from the Hollywood Reporter.

Edited by Philyra, Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:38 PM.

ClaireO

ClaireO

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

Love it. I'm not sure if they have a case, but I like that Fleiss and company are under pressure on this tack.

I've never believed that they couldn't recruit someone of color to be the lead. If the standard recruitment tactics don't work, make it a more attractive gig. Do they really expect people to believe that they can't find an attractive, single African American, Hispanic, or Asian person with an interesting profession who'd take the ~$40-60,000 for less than 2 months "work", plus travel and interesting dating experiences? I, for one, will never believe that. And it's not like they need a Harvard-educated MD who moonlights as a runway model for a lead. They used Ben, for crying out loud - their standards are incredibly low.

And don't give me that "Ashley was 1/16th Native American" crap. I'm 1/8 Crow Indian, and I'm a blue-eyed blonde. Were I age appropriate and single, there is no way on Earth I'd qualify as a minority.

Let the (law) games begin!

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

Sometimes, Karma is a bitch. Let's see how Fleiss enjoys dealing with a nuisance lawsuit similar to the one he's put on Reality Steve.

In this case, the evidence is a heck of a lot clearer.

Philyra

Philyra

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Reality Steve's finally commented on the suit, and had got some great ballpark figures: The last black contestants on either show were in Deanna's season, 8 iterations ago, and of the 630 so contestants over 24 seasons, probably less than 2% have been non-white.

Caution: Spoilers also on site, but if you stick to page 1 you should be ok: http://realitysteve....ination-lawsui/

sweetpotater

sweetpotater

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

Chris Harrison is single now. Maybe that will liven things up.

Firthient

Firthient

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

Omigosh! It would really be something if Chris H. left his wife for a former contestant. I wonder if he'll be attending Chris L. and Peyton's wedding on Saturday.

Former Nun

Former Nun

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

Omigosh! It would really be something if Chris H. left his wife for a former contestant.

Or for several...or for all the future opportunities. We can enjoy the conniving contestants who know he's available.

Laurie4H

Laurie4H

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

Maybe he will be the next Bachelor. Lol
Of course a story like this comes out as soon as the new season is starting. Way to drum up publicity.

Edited by Laurie4H, May 4, 2012 @ 8:26 AM.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

Good idea, Laurie. I wouldn't mind seeing a "The Bachelor: Special Season," with Chris as the B. Someone else would have to hand him the roses and the women would have to ba a little older than usual.

Edited by JudyObscure, May 4, 2012 @ 2:18 PM.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:33 AM

I'm sorry to hear about Chris H, and his wife. That blows. I really hope the cause isn't something unseemly and connected to the show; that would be gross.

ClaireO

ClaireO

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

I agree, Oakgal. It's sad, and I hope the divorce doesn't involve a third party.

I'm of 2 minds about Chris as Bachelor. Part of me thinks it would be entertaining to see him go through the process himself as long as the contestants are age-appropriate and not a bunch of early-20-somethings. What's the formula - half your age plus 7 as the minimum? He's about to turn 41, so that would mean 27 1/2 as the youngest.

The other thought is that this totally wouldn't work. First, he's probably going to be enjoying the single life for a while and not want to jump right back into being married or even just committed to one person. Even if he wants another wife ASAP, I feel there should be some space between the divorce and any appearance as The Bach. Plus, he's too inside. He knows all the tricks. He knows all the producers and crew, etc., etc. Overall, I don't think it would work.

Thinking outside the box a bit, have Fleiss and crew thought about doing a new variation of their show? Not just tinkering, but starting with the same concept and doing it very differently? Maybe they could do a short, amusing documentary-style series, 3-6 episodes, featuring Chris dating in the real world and tying that back into the Bach.

Sailing

Sailing

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

I'm sorry to hear Chris is getting divorced. 18 years is a long time, especially in Hollywood. It's always sad when a marriage ends, and I feel badly for his children as well.

That said, I'm pretty disgusted by the decision to release this information now. You can't tell me this just happened yesterday. This is clearly a calculated move to drum up publicity for the new season. If I were Chris (assuming he didn't give the go-ahead himself to release this now, but that's another ball of wax), I'd be pissed at Fleiss and TPTB. The end of a marriage is real life sadness, not publicity fodder for a TV show. Especially not one like TB that regularly makes a mockery of marriage and commitment.

Second, and here's the cynical, speculative side of me coming out, but does anyone remember Rozlyn from Jake's season? She was removed for an inappropriate relationship with production staff, but when she returned on the WTA, she was pretty nasty and got personal. She alleged that Chris was up to romantic no good with production as well. The claim was quickly quashed and came across as tit-for-tat, but still. I realize a woman scorned is not the most reliable source, but it makes you wonder.

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

Ooh, Sailing, I had forgotten about that! I do remember now that at the time I thought that Rozlyn was likely telling the truth.

Vexer

Vexer

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Omg, I want to shoot myself in the head every time I see Emily's commercial where she monotones "It's mah turn now! I'm the Bachelorette.". Seriously, watching her will be akin to watching paint dry and could be my undoing with this show.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:21 PM

Hey Vexer, how about the part of that commercial when the bachelors are spec-ing about who is arriving on the helicopter: "Is it Brad?" Is it BENTLEY?" Wouldn't that be special if they brought Bentley back for Emily? And I totally agree with you about "It's MAH turn now." I can't help but think about the quarter million she got paid plus how she made production come to her every time I hear her say that.

Of course, I'll be all tuned in on May 14. Looking forward to the snark here. I've missed you guys.

Bugs Meany

Bugs Meany

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

Leaking a divorce to promote a marriage-themed show that desperately clings to a few "success stories" (e.g. Ashley & J.P.) as proof that it's not a farce?

Vexer

Vexer

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

SaberTail - hee hee! Yes, I know! The "maybe it's Bentley or Brad" stuff is too funny. You know all these guys are here just because Emily is hot, not because they find her interesting. Because she is so not interesting! Do we know anything about her other than the kid and the dead baby daddy? Oh and that she is a seemingly demanding bitch? It could be fun to watch the monkeys errr, bachelors perform for her! Sigh... I'll tune in for the snark value at least! :)

Shugardrawers

Shugardrawers

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

First, ummm...Fliess? Emily did NOT capture ANYONE'S heart. She is in no way, shape or form "America's Sweetheart". In fact, the dead fiancee schtick got really old less than 1/2 way through her season with Brad. She didn't even know she was pregnant when he died, kid is what?? 5? 6? Time to have moved on girl! Find a great woman who's not a reject for a change. This addict is tuning OUT of this season. Oh, and BTW, get a bachelor of color! And this from a white gal who's married to a white dude! I'm B-O-R-E-D with the white bread. Get some wheat, or rye or maybe even pumpernickel~

And I immediately thought Chris H would make a great bach, although maybe not just yet. Much too soon.

rivermet

rivermet

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

Maybe I'm alone but I really like Emily. Not so much the boohoo fiance stuff but I saw some fire in her during her season. I knew I liked her when they were at her house and she clearly wanted to make out and Brad was all worried about the kid being upstairs and Emily said something like, 'yeah this is my life so you are going to have to get over that.' Also on the after special I liked how she stuck up for herself and refused to move immediately down to Texas for a clearly tenuous relationship.

Bugs Meany

Bugs Meany

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

Maybe I'm alone but I really like Emily. Not so much the boohoo fiance stuff but I saw some fire in her during her season.

Yeah, plenty of people like her. She seems like a very nice woman and didn't squabble with any of the other women (how many front-runners and/or winners can say that?). The user above you is a little worked up.

Vexer

Vexer

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

I don't dislike her at all. I just found her quite boring and devoid of personality for the most part. She must have some appeal otherwise they wouldn't have cast her. Oh wait, they casted Ben... But seriously, I think she's fine as a person but something is going to have to happen very early in the season for me to think she can carry the show as the lead and not bore the audience to tears

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

I liked Emily on Brad's season, she was my favorite. I even got all misty-eyed when Brad proposed. I knew for a fact! it was going to work out, Emily was so sweet and charming. Then the post interview with CH was broadcast and hokey smokes, there sat a different Emily, the cold, self-important, it's-all-about-ME Emily. She had no intention of ever moving to Texas, even though that's where Brad's income was and she could have gotten a job (if she even has any skills) anywhere. It's almost like she played the show and the viewers, all so she could say, "It's MAH turn, AHM the Bachelorette!"

Of course I'll watch, it's an addiction, but I'm hoping in the end she gets the same cr*p treatment she gave Brad.

ciaobellame

ciaobellame

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

To be fair though, their relationship was very unstable so it was for the best that she didn't move. They admitted that they broke up many times and by the time the AFTR special aired, they hadn't seen each other in a month. Their relationship was doomed from the start.

I agree that she was extremely boring on Brad's season and she was definitely not my favorite, but I'm willing to give her a chance now because I really have no idea what her true personality is like. The editing on this show is atrocious and they make these people into one-dimensional characters.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

Of course I'll watch, it's an addiction, but I'm hoping in the end she gets the same crap treatment she gave Brad.

And I'm just hoping that if Bentley shows up, she does the same thing to him that he did to Ashley.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

Well, lookie here. Are we going to get a tell-all someday?!

"All I'll say is she is a helluva woman and I hope it works out," Womack, 38, told local news station ABC 13 matter-of-factly when asked if he has plans to tune in. "I have no interest [in watching]."

Currently single, Womack -- who is set to open a new bar in Houston -- didn't reflect too fondly on his former fiancee, who had to return the three-carat Neil Lane sparkler Womack presented to her after they broke off their engagement.

"I think I dodged a bullet with that relationship," Womack said of his courtship with single mom Maynard, 26.

Maynard wasn't impressed with her ex's on-camera antics, tweeting to former Bachelor contestant Ashley Spivey Thursday: "I'm sure they accidentally cut off the part where he said it was a diamond encrusted bullet of course!"

http://www.usmagazin...lorette-2012175

Edited by slowpoked, May 18, 2012 @ 2:45 PM.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

Someone will have to explain to me what Emily means by "I'm sure they accidentally cut off the part where he said it was a diamond encrusted bullet of course!" WTH does a "diamond-encrusted bullet" mean? I don't even see the sarcasm in it. Is it suppose to be some sort of joke? I never figured Brad to be the "diamond-encrusted" sort, although Emily looks like she is. So is she ranking on herself, that SHE is diamond-encrusted?

I just don't get it.

I do agree with Brad's assessment that he dodged a bullet, however.