The Bachelor/ette Spoilers: Who's Kissing Whom?

• Please log in to reply

5191 replies to this topic

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

This lawsuit is about one thing only. It's about shutting down RS. It isn't about getting a judgment against RS, it's about making it so expensive that he will have to desist. Secondarily, they would like to know his sources.

I have a dim view of wealthy entities who seek to limit those with fewer financial resources from ordinary activities that in essence do not hurt the suing party in any material manner.

Agreed. If this were really about tortious interference -- if it had anything to do with principles or right vs. wrong -- they'd be suing every tabloid that's ever paid contestants for inside/confidential information. This is nothing more than the financial bullying of a small-but-annoying target, at very little cost to themselves.

I find RS to be a poor writer with bad grammar and a tendency to blow his own horn too long and too loudly. I could easily live without his blog and his spoilers. But boy, do I hate hate hate the thought that he could be financially screwed, and that his right to publish spoilers could be shut down, just because Fleiss and Co have bigger wallets. And all the while, the larger, less-easily-bullied entities (e.g., TMZ) carry on at will.

Not to mention that RS denies ever having offered money to anyone for information. We don't even know if the allegations are true. Whom to believe? The annoying blowhard or the sleazy assholes? I'll side with the blowhard in this case. He's a twit, but nothing in his writing makes me think his character is nearly as bad as the sleazy, greedy, and deceitful bullies who are suing him.

Bugs Meany

Bugs Meany

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

I have a dim view of wealthy entities who seek to limit those with fewer financial resources from ordinary activities that in essence do not hurt the suing party in any material manner.

You're describing a movie studio going after a camp counselor for showing a DVD to all the campers (technically a violation of exhibition rights). Writing a spoiler site is not an ordinary activity, and the suing party is being hurt when the foundation of its expensively produced show (competition/surprise) is taken out from under it.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

Writing blogs and getting spoilers on shows seems to be pretty ordinary these days.

Speculating about TV shows and getting spoilers on them is 3/4 of what fan sites such as this one are all about.

Bugs Meany

Bugs Meany

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

I'm not so interested in that part. You're saying a TV network is not hurt "in any material manner" when the outcome of its expensively produced show is spoiled? Is The Big Man always wrong, and The Little Man always right, regardless of the circumstances?

Edited by Bugs Meany, Mar 29, 2012 @ 2:45 PM.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

Of course, the Big Guy isnít always wrong.

What is a fact, however, is that the ratings for the show have been good and no drop in ratings can be attributed to the spoilers which most of the audience doesnít ever know about anyway. This particular year, everyone knew the outcome and all the magazines were petty much saying Courtney was the FR.

When the show can not demonstrate that the spoilers have hurt it economically, there is little reason for the lawsuit.

Bugs Meany

Bugs Meany

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

So, unless viewership drops to zero, ABC can't "demonstrate" that it's been hurt by spoilers? As long as Taylor Swift sells millions of records, she can't claim to be hurt by piracy? I have no problem with "wealthy entities" (people, actually, from investors to creatives) protecting their product.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

Do you sue the radio-station DJ who, on his morning show, tells the ending to the new movie before you get to see it? I still say the vast majority of America has never heard of RS much less cares if he posts the "winner" of TB. I still say the vast majority of American doesn't care about TB! It's a big media story though, just check all those grocery-story tab headlines. And the tabs make bucks from selling advertising and issues. So there's that.

Knowing the final rose recipient doesn't stop me from watching this dreckfest every week, it just makes it more fun IMO. I still watch that last episode Just.In.Case. Of course, this season no one needed RS's spoilers, we all read it weeks ahead of time, standing in grocery check-out lanes.

Advertisers -- big money ones -- continue to support TB with "LEAP LIST" ads and freebee vacation spot trade-offs so I can't compare a RS spoiler to piracy. I don't see where RS has caused the show/network to lose money (read: advertisers) whereas pirated music (and software and movies and DVDs) all cause loss of income to those artists.

Me thinks RS is just that annoying cartoon mosquito that seems immune to all bug spray so a nuclear bomb is detonated to get rid of it.

Edited by SaberTail, Apr 5, 2012 @ 3:47 PM.

Bugs Meany

Bugs Meany

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

Do you sue the radio-station DJ who, on his morning show, tells the ending to the new movie before you get to see it?

Not at all the same thing. There are no contractual issues regarding what happens in a movie. More important, since when am I suing RS for spoiling the show? I don't produce the show; neither do I ask participants to sign contracts. I have no reason or basis to sue, but ABC does.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

What is a fact, however, is that the ratings for the show have been good and no drop in ratings can be attributed to the spoilers which most of the audience doesnít ever know about anyway. This particular year, everyone knew the outcome and all the magazines were petty much saying Courtney was the FR.

The ratings for the show have been dropping and the last two seasons have been abysmal. I'm not sure how you can say the drop can't be attributed to spoilers. Anecdotal evidence would indicate otherwise as on virtually every board there is a ton of talk about how knowing the outcome has ruined viewer's enjoyment. Granted, having people like Ashley and Ben as the stars hasn't helped the show but the whole premise of the show and watching the interaction between the star and their potential choices and guessing who they picked and looking for clues has been ruined for most people. While I have little to no respect for Fleiss and his hokey tricks I don't blame him for wanting to protect his cash cow by reducing or eliminating the spoilage of the show.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

Itís up to the show to prove that the spoilers are responsible for the drop in ratings and also to prove that Reality Steveís spoilers in particular are responsible for that drop.

ME Again

ME Again

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

The ratings for the show have been dropping and the last two seasons have been abysmal. I'm not sure how you can say the drop can't be attributed to spoilers. Anecdotal evidence would indicate otherwise as on virtually every board there is a ton of talk about how knowing the outcome has ruined viewer's enjoyment. Granted, having people like Ashley and Ben as the stars hasn't helped the show but the whole premise of the show and watching the interaction between the star and their potential choices and guessing who they picked and looking for clues has been ruined for most people. While I have little to no respect for Fleiss and his hokey tricks I don't blame him for wanting to protect his cash cow by reducing or eliminating the spoilage of the show.

The thing with RS is that you have to make a conscious effort to see his spoilers. He has a blog that you have to go to in order to read his information. If you are one of those people whose enjoyment would be ruined by knowing who was picked, don't go to his site! Personal accountability has to come in play here. I think this is a case of the big guy picking on the little guy.

FWIW, I am a viewer who watches because I know the spoilers so I definitely enjoy RS because he is - for the most part - right in his information. I like watching the show knowing the ending because it is more entertaining for me that way. If I didn't know the spoilers, I don't think I could make it through a season because I would get too aggravated and disgusted. Because I know (or think I know) the final rose, I can enjoy the show for they guilty pleasure it is! JMO

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

Well, Reality Steve has the final 4 posted.... and although he doesn't know for sure who's #1 (still filming), he's made an educated guess that makes sense, given that 1 of the 4 guys is part of a famous racing family (albeit Indy rather than NASCAR).

CindyBee

CindyBee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

I'm going to be surprised if Arie doesn't win this. Son of a millionaire racing family is right in Emily comfort zone and the pictures of them on their date from a couple of days ago in Prague that Wetpaint posted seem very cozy. Plus the other three in Reality Steve's final 4 really don't seem to offer much ie very young with barely any careers.

I'll be Interested in seeing how Fleiss edits Emily's and Arie's story, if indeed he ends up being F1.

ciaobellame

ciaobellame

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

I think it's interesting that Arie used to date one of the producers. I'm sure the tabloids will be able to dig up more info now that RS has spilled that little tidbit.

kinda sketchy

kinda sketchy

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

The bios are up. Holy bad head shots.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

Eww. Poor Emily. She got a bunch of fugs.

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

The guy who's looking for "conversation that [is] stimulating, funny, thought provoking, etc. all rolled into one" is in for a big disappointment.

Edited by chocolatine, May 2, 2012 @ 8:14 PM.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

Not to mention: "Because I am relatively shy on making that initial contact, I love it when a woman pursues me."

So...you decided to find love on a show where you compete with 24 other men for the affections and attention of one woman? Guess he's as smart as he looks.

Edited by ribboninthesky1, May 2, 2012 @ 8:39 PM.

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

I'm going to root for the guy who used the word "ineffably" with the hope that he's this season's Ames!

One guy looks like James Van Der Beek's evil twin! Creepy!

And does Kalon like being under pressure or not?

Do you prefer team sports or solo sports and why?
Team. I like being the best on a team and having the pressure of people relying on me.
What is your ideal mate's personality like?
Overwhelming as to take the pressure off of me.

He's cute, but he's out just for his conflicting message--and for being a "luxury brand consultant." What does that mean? I'm thinking cologne spritzer at a department store.

I lol'ed that the lumber trader is from Beaverton.

What's with the two South American farmers with practically the same name?

ClaireO

ClaireO

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

Emily's F1 has been identified. I know the convention here is for spoiler threads to not include spoiler tags, but I've also seen TWOP people show up in spoiler threads and be aghast at a level of specificity they did not want or anticipate. So ... go here if you want to know.

cassyinjax

cassyinjax

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

Has that post been taken down? Because it isn't working for me, and I'm definitely curious who they're saying it is.

*Nevermind. I was just being dumb.* ;)

Edited by cassyinjax, May 9, 2012 @ 1:58 PM.

Shugardrawers

Shugardrawers

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:51 AM

If I have to log in/sign up to a site that's linked here it REALLY turns me off and screams troll to me. Screw that. Give me a REAL link.

ClaireO

ClaireO

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

It's a pretty active site, and I promise I'm not trolling! Shugardrawers, I also agree that it's annoying to have to sign in and I wish I could give you a link that didn't require it. If you want to send me a private message, I'll just tell you who it is that way.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

Okay, I'm keeping Aaron and Jean-Paul for myself. Tossing the rest to Emily.

No way can I see Emily hitching up with a mushroom farmer from Colombia. Unless it's "that" kind of mushroom which it could be. Colombia is pretty well-known for that kind of stuff. In that case, lots of $$ there! And Ari is from Netherlands? Did this go international to try and scrap up enough guys for her? He looks like he's 12. The guy whose perfect date was cliff jumping will fit well with the dates on this show. Not so much the guy whose perfect date was sitting in a boat looking at the stars. The skinny dipper ... will we get more of that this season? The best embarrassing moment was the guy who ripped his pants jumping a Vegas fence. The guy who is worried about leaving his wallet home will be okay since Fleiss picks up the checks on dates here. Oh, and the singer/performer ... another Wes? "Love, it don't come easy" ya'll know.

Looking forward to seeing whether Emily has a personality or if she will have to rely on producer-written scripts and clever lines to keep this show afloat. I also wonder if all these guys saw her CH interview with Brad where she was the icy beyotch. Let's hope!

rivermet

rivermet

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

Can someone just put the F1 in spoiler tags? I'm not going to any site where I have to login etc. This is the spoiler thread. I want to be spoiled. Please tell me.

cassyinjax

cassyinjax

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

According to the forum, the F1 is
Spoiler
. However, I call BS because it turns out that
Spoiler

kenyaj

kenyaj

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

Extended preview of Emily's season. Two thoughts:

1. Kinda shocked (but pleased) to see Emily tell a guy to "Get the fuck out." MF seems so determined to portray her as the Most Beautiful/Most Virtuous/Most Desirable Bachelorette Eva! that I wasn't expecting that level of spunk from her, even after watching Brad's ATFR.

2. I may or may not have watched that kiss with Sean (at the 0:28 mark) more than once.

rivermet

rivermet

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

What is up with like four guys crying in that preview? Ugh. I always thought Emily had spunk; the editors just molded the storyline to quiet, sad little southern girl. We saw the real her toward the end of her season and in the ATFR ceremony where she wouldn't put up with Brad's crap.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

Extended preview of Emily's season.

You mean I'm going to end up actually liking Emily and rooting for her happiness? Gah! Kill me!

Diana Berry

Diana Berry

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

So who is f1? This is the spoiler thread. Spoil away.