Harry Would Be Proud: The Awards Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

95 replies to this topic

bfragrant

bfragrant

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 11:27 AM

Well we all know Dexter won Best Credit Sequence in the Tubey's and MCH is up for an Emmy. This thread is for talking all about them (or you know bitching about how the good shows never win the awards they deserve :))

Stormyweather

Stormyweather

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 11:33 AM

Unfortunately, MCH was not nominated for an Emmy but the opening sequence did win an Emmy at the Creative Emmy Awards last week.

bfragrant

bfragrant

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 12:08 PM

Unfortunately, MCH was not nominated for an Emmy...

Sorry about the wrong info. I really thought that he was (I find it unbelievable that he wasn't).

luvdave

luvdave

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 2:42 PM

MCH's omission from the Drama Actor Emmy list was one of the most notable - several critics agreed that it was criminal.

Dexter also won a Creative Arts Emmy for Single Picture Camera Editing.

MCH did take home the TCA (Television Critics' Association) Award for Individual Achievement in Drama, up against Kyle Chandler, Connie Britton, Hugh Laurie and Helen Mirren. Now that's a category! And a wrong sort-of righted.

MeccaJoost

MeccaJoost

Just Tuned In

• Interests:TV, Heroes, Dr Who, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dexter, Soaps,

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 8:43 AM

Good to hear that. The opening sequence is amazing.

But it's a crying shame MCH wasn't nominated for an Emmy

ItsNotMe

ItsNotMe

Video Archivist

• Location:A place where English isn't the native language. (Yep, that's why I suck at it.)

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 1:36 PM

The Tubeys showed no love for Dexter! All it got was for the opening sequence.

Anyway, I really like the thread title!

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 9:26 PM

(I find it unbelievable that he wasn't).

I find it utterly unbelievable, too. Is Dexter too violent for the Emmys people?

The opening sequence is the best I've ever seen, tho. Perfect encapsulation of the series. Well maybe Get Smart has the best opening sequence in TV history, but Dexter isn't far behind...

rowanceleste

rowanceleste

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 10:04 AM

There's definitely never been another character or show where I'm creeped out, just watching them make breakfast and get ready in the morning, that's for sure!

Edited by rowanceleste, Sep 15, 2007 @ 10:04 AM.

Maka

Maka

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2007 @ 10:08 AM

Congrats to Michael C. Hall on the Golden Globe nom! I'm really ticked the show didn't get a nomination though. These are the best show nominees:

1. BIG LOVE (HBO)
2. DAMAGES (FX NETWORKS)
3. GREY’S ANATOMY (ABC)
4. HOUSE (FOX)
5. MAD MEN (AMC)
6. THE TUDORS (SHOWTIME)

I'm especially offended at The Tudors being in there. That's really just a trashy soap opera in period dress. And toward the end of last season, I didn't even think it was an entertaining trashy soap opera! Pft.

I hope MCH wins his award though. I do think, of the people nominated, he's the most impressive. Truly:

1. MICHAEL C. HALL – DEXTER
2. JON HAMM – MAD MEN
3. HUGH LAURIE – HOUSE
4. JONATHAN RHYS MEYERS – THE TUDORS
5. BILL PAXTON – BIG LOVE

luvdave

luvdave

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2007 @ 11:46 AM

Grey's Anatomy is nothing but pure popularity/ratings. Good grief.

I hope the HFP gives it to Michael this year, since Hugh Laurie got it last year. MCH deserved it then, and he certainly deserves it now. Good luck to him.

deadendangel

deadendangel

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 13, 2007 @ 1:47 PM

If Michael C Hall doesn't win this year, there is simply no justice. I'm really getting tired of seeing Hugh Laurie win every award he's nominated for (not a House fan)...... I do like Jon Hamm in Mad Men a lot, but MCH deserves this award and I hope he wins. Congrats to him!

Cannot wait until Sunday!

Oh, and don't get me started on Grey's Anatomy, nothing more than a glorified soap opera...

Edited by deadendangel, Dec 13, 2007 @ 1:48 PM.

bfragrant

bfragrant

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2007 @ 1:51 PM

Some of the best show nominees are so overrated. MCH deserves that award, he is simply brilliant.

Silver Angel's Mom

Silver Angel's Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2007 @ 2:34 PM

1. BIG LOVE (HBO)
2. DAMAGES (FX NETWORKS)
3. GREY’S ANATOMY (ABC)
4. HOUSE (FOX)
5. MAD MEN (AMC)
6. THE TUDORS (SHOWTIME)

This is ridiculous. What the heck is Big Love doing there? Is it a requirement that HBO have a horse in the race? If that's true then they shouldn't have cancelled Deadwood or Rome.

Totally agree with the complaints about #3 and #6. But what the heck are #2 and #5? I've never heard of these shows.

ETA: Now that I think on it, this leaves House as the winner. I think I can live with that...

Edited by Silver Angel's Mom, Dec 13, 2007 @ 2:35 PM.

royvac

royvac

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2007 @ 6:00 PM

I am a House fan and Hugh Laurie is good as House, but Michael C Hall is brilliant as Dexter. He absolutely deserves every award he's eligible for.

McGuilty

McGuilty

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2007 @ 12:23 AM

I mostly just lurk here but colour me surprised when Dexter didn't get a Best Drama nomination. Those GG people must be smoking something. I just want MCH to win the Best Actor, that's the only way I can get over Dexter not getting nominated 2 years in a roll. I must agree with complaints of Grey's Anatomy and The Tudors being in the best drama category. I used to like GA but the show is just ridiculous now and the Tudors, I only watch for its snark value.

Edited by McGuilty, Dec 14, 2007 @ 12:31 AM.

qiqa

qiqa

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2007 @ 8:51 AM

I am dumbfounded about Jonathan Rhys-Myers being nominated. Everything else I would have predicted, though I am not happy about Dex's absence in best drama. Isn't this show supposed to be Showtime's flagship? The Tudors is such a joke.

I watch Big Love, but do not like Bill Paxton very much; I find other actors that are far superior to him in that show. I like House, but will admit this season has been a bit lacklustre. I love Mad Men and I have to say that if the choice of best actor is between John Hamm and MCH I can live with whomever wins; but if anyone else wins I will be severely disappointed.

skiperdee123

skiperdee123

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 14, 2007 @ 9:13 AM

Totally agree with the complaints about #3 and #6. But what the heck are #2 and #5? I've never heard of these shows.

You're missing out! Mad Men is brilliant and might take it all. Both it and Dexter are equally high quality shows.

lanakila

lanakila

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 14, 2007 @ 11:40 AM

http://www.deadlineh...hype-free-zone/

Read the comments too.

Maybe this might explain the lack of Dexter in the Best Drama.

If lobbying involves negotiation, I can imagine Showtime execs telling the "OF's" at the HFP. "Look MCH definitely deserves the best actor but we want to get some attention to our other shows so we won't put the show up for nomination as long as you put some of our other shows in there. Hope you enjoyed your hideously expensive dinner."

Apparently there are only 80 or so voters in the HFP.

Nikki is also a great site to go to for up-to-the-minute reports on the Writer's Strike

FrozenBarbie

FrozenBarbie

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 14, 2007 @ 12:38 PM

Mad Men was a magnificent show that ran this past summer on AMC. Episodes were available OnDemand. You can find a forum here for the show. Damages was a completely addicting, and well-acted show that also ran in the summer, on F/X. There's also a forum for that show here, as well. Check them out, if you have some time. But I agree about Jon Hamm. He was fabulous.

tardigrade

tardigrade

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2007 @ 4:07 PM

1. MICHAEL C. HALL – DEXTER
2. JON HAMM – MAD MEN
3. HUGH LAURIE – HOUSE
4. JONATHAN RHYS MEYERS – THE TUDORS
5. BILL PAXTON – BIG LOVE

Haven't seen House, but I did watch the others. Much as I think Big Love was the best overall show, Paxton was the least noteworthy thing about it. Myers came across like a child playing dress-up, and Hamm was so-so. I thought Dexter was uneven this season, but Hall's work in ep. 10 and 11 was particularly good as a psychopath right on the edge.

The Tudors? Bleh. Bad history and worse costuming.

eta: it's hard to spell correctly with a cat draped over one's arm

Edited by tardigrade, Dec 16, 2007 @ 4:09 PM.

lanakila

lanakila

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 16, 2007 @ 10:00 PM

Satellite Awards are being presented as I type - these are the awards presented by the International Press Academy which actually has a bigger, wider range of members and voters and is less the old farts club than is the Hollywood Foreign Press. So I'm thinking this is a more prestigious award, is not geared to rewarding those who "suck up the most", and honors genuine achievement even in its nominations. Not televised and not highly publicized so I don't know when the winners will be posted. Keeping my eyes and ears open.

Also today. American Film Institute announced its Top 10 best films and television series of 2007. Of course, Dexter is in that top ten - all top ten shows will be honored January 11, as the AFI does not pick one overall winner.

SAG awards announced December 20.

Trying to keep myself busy until 9pm!

Edited by lanakila, Dec 16, 2007 @ 10:43 PM.

Stormyweather

Stormyweather

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2007 @ 8:26 AM

Satellites Award

Yay, Dexter and MCH!!

In the television categories, Dexter won best drama and Pushing Daisies took best comedy/musical series. Ugly Betty's America Ferrara and Colbert Report's Stephen Colbert were awarded best actors in a comedy or musical series, while Grey's Anatomy's Ellen Pompeo and Dexter's Michael C. Hall won the dramatic acting prizes

lanakila

lanakila

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 17, 2007 @ 10:17 AM

Yay - many contratulations and well deserved. Must also add that David Zayas also won for Best Supporting Actor!

FrozenBarbie

FrozenBarbie

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 17, 2007 @ 12:39 PM

Yay!! Congratulations to MCH, David Zayas, and the show. Well-deserved. Donuts for everyone!

(OT, but I must express my disgust at the boring Ellen Pompeo winning over Minnie Driver, and Glenn Close, who was excellent in Damages. Damn!)

Edited by FrozenBarbie, Dec 17, 2007 @ 12:47 PM.

Stormyweather

Stormyweather

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2007 @ 10:09 AM

SAG Award nominations:

Male Actor, Drama series: James Gandolfini, The Sopranos: Michael C. Hall, Dexter; Jon Hamm, Mad Men; Hugh Laurie, House; James Spader, Boston Legal

FrozenBarbie

FrozenBarbie

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 20, 2007 @ 1:45 PM

Male Actor, Drama series: James Gandolfini, The Sopranos: Michael C. Hall, Dexter; Jon Hamm, Mad Men; Hugh Laurie, House; James Spader, Boston Legal

Yay, again. More donuts! MCH has some stiff competition. Only he and Jon Hamm have never won this award before, if I'm not mistaken (and I often am).

cubella59

cubella59

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 20, 2007 @ 6:44 PM

Lets give the boy a hand!

Silver Angel's Mom

Silver Angel's Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2007 @ 11:49 AM

OK, I'll do it.

Lets give the boy a hand!

...and an arm... and a torso...

*rimshot*

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2008 @ 11:38 AM

I find it utterly unbelievable, too. Is Dexter too violent for the Emmys people?

The Sopranos have several so I can't believe that.

Mad Queen

Mad Queen

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 10:02 PM

MCH lost, Jon Hamm won.