Weight Issues: We Know a Little Something About Them

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1332 replies to this topic

IzzleZizzle

IzzleZizzle

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 12:06 AM

If you live in an area where you can pick fresh berries in the summer, I highly recommend picking a whole bunch and freezing them for later use. The pick-your-own place near me charged $2.99/lb if you picked 4lbs or more, which was WAY cheaper than the grocery store. Once you get them home you rinse them, put them in a single layer on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper, and pop into the freezer for about 2 hours. Pour the frozen berries into a Ziploc bag, and repeat until they are all frozen. I use mine in my breakfast oatmeal this time of year. Delish!

I'm sad to hear about baby carrots - they were a super quick go-to veggie snack in my world. No more.

JLVerde

JLVerde

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 9:07 AM

Re: freezing your own berries.

Just make sure your freezer is fresh (no old stuff making funky smells) BEFORE you freeze. Berries pick up odors really easily. I learned this the hard way. My mother had a berry bush in her back yard. Since they were free, she picked then froze. All the berries had "freezer taste" (like freezer burn but the berries weren't damaged, just gross aftertaste). Thankfully it wasn't an expensive learning experience (she was only out a few freezer bags).

Josette

Josette

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 7:30 AM

I just read that baby carrots are soaked in chlorine to help them keep their color so baby carrots are out for me.

The truth about baby carrots from Snopes.com.

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

This is more of an "exercise" issue than a "weight" issue, but it's related, and ties into a recent discussion that came up in an "episode" thread on the topic of running and heart conditions (namely Jim Fixx, author of The Complete Book of Running, who died from a congenital heart condition during a 10-mile run).

A local (to Albany, NY) TV station just ran a segment on "Cardiac Athletes"; the first guy featured is in my running group.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 1:57 AM

I'm wondering if anyone has had an issue with binge eating. Have you found a way to overcome it? I'm really struggling and would love some advice.

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:42 PM

Canada, yes, that is something that I have struggled with. It was at its worst when I was a teenager and still living with my parents. I'd do a lot of sneak-eating, when everyone else was asleep, and I think a lot of that had to do with feeling monitored--like I had to be on good "eating" behavior because I was being watched. Things got even worse when I found a "binge" buddy--we'd actually go out to the supermarket to buy sugary snacks and then binge on them together. The only reason I never became bulimic was I never was able to make myself puke (weak gag reflex). For me, I think just getting out of the house and being on my own helped me change my patterns. Not that I don't still have my moments. I believe there are therapists who specialize in helping people overcome binge-eating issues.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 9:09 PM

Katje, I hope you were not in Boston today. I've been thinking of you.

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 8:49 AM

Lamb18, I was not in Boston--thanks for thinking of me. A bunch of running friends from my club were there, and I am relieved that they are all okay.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 6:35 PM

I'm glad that you're safe and that you're friends are, too. I've been wondering about CrabShaman since he does marathons a lot, too.

flickerish

flickerish

Just Tuned In

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

Hello to everybody!

I have been lurking here for about 7 months and finally I’ve found the courage to write my first post here:) I have to admit I’ve religiously read all 85 pages and I want to thank all of you for sharing your stories. I cannot tell enough what a great support it was during my weight loss journey.

My story is banal. I always was a chubby kid. I had a giant sweet tooth. Every day after school I used to go to the desired cupboard and eat chocolate and candibars feeling fiercely ashamed afterwards.:( Of course it didn’t do wonders for my popularity in high school. Actually quite the opposite since I had to experience all the perks of being bullied at high school for your weight.

Luckily during college I managed to lose some pounds and get to 160-165. Now that I remember my college life it is both funny and sad that although I was at my lowest weight I still felt so ugly and fat that not once I allowed myself to go the beach and let other people see me without clothes at the daylight. :( At that time I didn’t expect that 160 pounds I was so ashamed of then would become an unreachable dream for the next 7 years. 

After I’ve started work I've also started gaining weight. Lots of it. Just 7 years – and I weighed 230 pounds, gaining 70 pounds. 10 pounds a year. Somehow my mind played a nasty trick on me. I did notice my previous clothes were getting too small, I did buy new bigger things, I did see myself in the mirror and occasionally I did think, “I need to lose some weight”, but all that facts were like movie I was watching outside my “life-window”. I lived in a bubble ignoring all negative things and thoughts in my life. And breaking this bubble was a very hurtful process.

In my country there is a stigma of being overweight or worse obese. Besides the usual things (you always fail to find nice clothes in size bigger than 16) you are to expect humiliating comments from unknown people in the street. Hell, I got plenty of those from my own family (except my parents). But worse was what I felt towards myself. I was 27. This was supposed to be the prime-time of my life. Instead I always felt guilty and tired. I'm not even talking about harm I was doing to my body.

I remember I was watching BL and something inside me broke. I have decided I just don't have a right to go on like this anymore. I realized I’m on the way to eating myself to immobility or a worse fate. I went to a popular weight loss clinic, got involved into their program. Sure, they didn’t reinvent a wheel – count calories, eat balanced food every 3-4 hours and you start to lose weight. I knew all that before but the most amazing part of their program was building your self-esteem, getting me to believe that I’m worth something, something good. They hold meetings every two weeks and in 7 ½ months post program I attended every one of them.

They did help me. Well, I did help myself. And I managed to lose 80 pounds. Happy 150:) I planned my meals, counted calories, started doing yoga and dancing salsa. I’m trying to base my everyday life not on a food I want to try but rather a new life experience I want to have whether it is going to movie with friends, inviting an unknown person to dance salsa :), attending a yoga seminar or biking… I have found out there is so much in life I haven’t experienced, so many countries I have never visited, so many activities I’ve never given a shot that I just don’t have time to crave food. I forgave myself for being weak and unable to recognize or accept the problem I had/have.

And though it seems strange that I’m writing my story in another country’s forum but I repeat you all were the great support during these months. Thanks again:)

Edited by flickerish, May 19, 2013 @ 12:50 AM.

pelicanlover

pelicanlover

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

Congratulations, flickerish!  You have eloquently described a journey that many of us either have taken or are thinking about taking.  :-)

You mentioned finding inspiration here... in turn, you have offered inspiration to many, many others to follow in your footsteps.

Thank you so much!

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 8:26 AM

Welcome, flickerish!  Thanks for sharing your story.  It sounds as though you are in a good place right now, mind-body-wise.  Congratulations on your great progress.  What country are you in, by the way?

flickerish

flickerish

Just Tuned In

Posted May 26, 2013 @ 12:14 PM

Welcome, flickerish! Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds as though you are in a good place right now, mind-body-wise. Congratulations on your great progress. What country are you in, by the way?

I am:) And I want to stay there for as long as I can. I love to feel strong and full or energy. It is a pretty good thing, right?)) Though I still have to remember that every food decision I make impacts not only my weight but quality of my life. I guess that would never go away:).

I'm from Kazakhstan and here most people are quite slim.  You can be 60 pounds overweight but it is ok only for women in their 40s, 50s. Of course there is double standard for men. I often heard how men with big beer bellys were making comments about somebody's weight. :(