Weight Issues: We Know a Little Something About Them

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1332 replies to this topic

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

It's pretty scary, Lamb18. We had been using a lot of plastic in our house--forks and spoons, food-storage containers, etc. We've started swapping out to non-plastic versions. I was already using a stainless-steel bottle for my water at work. I have plastic bottles for my water and sports drinks during long runs, but fortunately they're BPA-free. But then there are also the canned foods--we're not that big on them, but a few things we've used regularly, such as crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, corn, and pineapple. And so many foods are sold in plastic jars, containers, and wrapping. It's daunting.

Edited by katje, Feb 6, 2012 @ 7:17 PM.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

I was at Target today and walked by the Brita pitchers. I checked the box of one of them and it said BPA-free. I'm not sure if my current pitcher is BPA-free, so I will probably buy a new one.

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

There is a federal bill that would ban BPAs--it wouldn't hurt for us to contact our senators and representatives in support of it. Also, some states have banned it, so it's worth checking pending legislation in your state. In New York State, we have a few bills being considered by our legislature (A.212, A.9176, A.7572, and A.6366). The bills can be viewed here (scroll down to "quick bill search").

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

I haven't been around for a bit because the show basically just pisses me off now. However, on a personal note, I have reached a low point. I went to a medical screening this week to discover my weight is at an all-time high...305. I have gained 65 lbs in less than a year. The good news (if there is any) is Dr. Hair would be hard pressed to tell me I have the "sugar diabeetus" as my mom used to say. All those blood test numbers were way below any danger signs...as were cholesterol numbers.

This is how nuts I am right now. I couldn't even directly tell my wife how much I weighed. I had to sing a bit of an old Billy Joel song called "The Entertainer." (It was a beautiful song/But it ran too long/If you're gonna have a hit, you gotta make it fit/So they cut it down to 305.)

I had things under control and was looking almost normal at 240. At a theatre reunion people were giving me compliments. And then the stress of work (having to reinterview, re-license, and retrain for my own job) hit. Then there were money troubles because of high vet bills for two of our older kitties. And then my oldest girl kitty (16) died at the end of September. All I've done is eat over the last few months.

It is secret eating. I can get to my "Geek Room" (TV room) and knock back a couple of pints of B&J, a bag of popcorn, and some candy in little over an hour. So much that sometimes the next morning it's like I was out on an alcohol bender.

My knees sound like I'm carrying a box of Tic-Tacs when I walk up stairs. I'm sometimes winded walking from the bed to my bathroom. And I've only been married three years and have lost all interest in...you know...that.

The wife is very understanding and says she loves me no matter what, but frankly I keep thinking I'm not far off from braiding my hair and demanding six pounds of bacon a day for breakfast and needing full-time care to turn me in the bed.

I've lost acting gigs because of this. I can do the parts and give good auditions, but no one wants to see a fat guy in a romantic lead. Even if the character is kind of an ass and a moron.

I'm just depressed and don't care. Yet I do or I wouldn't write this long-ass post. I'm also terrorfied.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by WAnglais1, Feb 11, 2012 @ 11:02 AM.

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

Ugh, I'm so sorry about all that, WAnglais1. I can so relate to the secret eating--that was my downfall so many times. I think by coming here and sharing your story, you're taking a step toward turning things around. You know what you need to do, and once your mind is aligned to get going, I have no doubt you will. Just know you have people here who know what you're going through and are pulling for you. ::hugs::

Quizzical1

Quizzical1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 3:59 AM

WAnglais1: I'm sorry to hear that! I know you can turn things around! Have you ever thought about trying Overeaters Anonymous?

Jessimuhka

Jessimuhka

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

katje - Thanks for the info on BPA. I never knew why all of a sudden bottles were being labeled BPA-free, or that it was in can linings. I already drink out of a glass at work, and have a steel water bottle for when I need something with a lid, but I guess I should start being more proactive about switching our food storage containers to glass ones. Been meaning to get oven/fridge/freezer safe storage dishes for a while to cut down on washing, but maybe the health angle will get me in gear. Also the Mr. drinks so much canned soda, which is already terrible for so many reasons, but now there's another one. Hooray!

As far as canned food goes, it's mainly beans and tomatoes over here, though we've been making more dried beans lately. I don't really know what a substitute for canned tomatoes would be in the winter. The fresh ones have no flavor and are too expensive this time of year.

Edited by Jessimuhka, Feb 19, 2012 @ 6:54 PM.

HerLadyship

HerLadyship

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Eden Organic sells food in BPA free cans. I've seen it at Whole Foods and Fresh Market as well as Fairway, for any New Yorkers. I'm sure that their stuff is available at most supermarkets with a decent organic selection, though.

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

Eden Organic sells food in BPA free cans. I've seen it at Whole Foods and Fresh Market as well as Fairway, for any New Yorkers. I'm sure that their stuff is available at most supermarkets with a decent organic selection, though.

It's widely available in local health food co-ops here in Seattle (Madison Market and PCC specifically). I don't eat their canned food - I don't eat any canned food - but their no-sugar-added, 100%-fruit cherry butter is my breakfast staple, so I have a high opinion of the company.

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

Thanks for the info on Eden Organic, HerLadyship. We have a good co-op that would probably carry that brand. Will check into it.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 6:51 AM

My issues are front and centre in my life right now: I found out last night that I didn't get a job that I really really wanted; I hate my current job and the people I work with. When I found out the bad news, did I cry? Did I call someone and talk to them? Nope! I started eating and I haven't stopped yet. I keep getting moments when I feel like crying... I just eat something else. Now I can just focus on how sick I feel, not anything else.

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

My issues are front and centre in my life right now: I found out last night that I didn't get a job that I really really wanted; I hate my current job and the people I work with. When I found out the bad news, did I cry? Did I call someone and talk to them? Nope! I started eating and I haven't stopped yet. I keep getting moments when I feel like crying... I just eat something else. Now I can just focus on how sick I feel, not anything else.

Canada, I feel your pain. I have the same reaction when I'm treated poorly at work. I make a beeline for the supermarket or a bakery, pick up a pint of ice cream or a pastry, and inhale the whole thing while seething with rage. I used to love my job and I love my coworkers, but recent changes in management have led to a lot of negativity and poor treatment, which is why I've been rage-eating a lot lately.

Perhaps all is not lost regarding the dream job? In my industry (IT), we may pass on a candidate at one point because they're not quite the right fit, but hire them six months later when something opens up that they are a perfect fit for. If you made a good impression in your interview, people will remember you and think of you when new positions open up.

Edited by chocolatine, Mar 8, 2012 @ 11:15 AM.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

The problem is that it's a case of me needing experience to get the job but then no one will give me a job to get me the experience. It's frustrating and I can't see it changing any time soon. Still eating and still so angry and disappointed. I can't face going back to work in a few days. I just can't face it.

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 1:24 AM

Try to not psych yourself out, it'll only make things worse. Keep reminding yourself that this situation is temporary - you will find a better job, if not immediately then in a few months' time. Whenever someone at work tries to bring you down, smile and think to yourself "this person is just someone I work with/for right now, they have no control over me in the grand scheme of things". That worked for me when dealing with a dimwit manager last year.

This is also important for your job search, because you absolutely MUST project a positive attitude in interviews. DO NOT mention how unhappy you are at your current job, or even imply it - if a prospective employer senses any negativity, you almost certainly won't get the job. A good response to why you want to switch jobs is "I have learned a lot at Company A, but there is not much room for growth."

As far as lacking experience, don't let it get you down. Almost everyone who's successful in their field was once hired at entry-level. Maybe the company that turned you down will have an entry-level opening soon, and they will remember the bright and professional person who interviewed for a mid-level position but didn't have quite enough experience for that job, but would be perfect for the new opening. If they don't, other companies will. Keep adding to your skills, network your ass off, and stay positive.

Edited by chocolatine, Mar 9, 2012 @ 1:26 AM.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 5:16 AM

Thanks chocolatine. I needed to hear those words. I think I'm starting to come out of my little episode of wallowing in self-pity. I'm going to try and remember your words when I go back to work on Sunday.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

It sounds silly, but I read a book called "60 Seconds and You're Hired!" It gives sample interview questions and answers. It also helps you boil what you're good at down to a few points to drive home with every question. We did a huge realigning of my department last year, and I had to reinterview for my job It helped a good bit.

Good luck!

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

Canada, you're most welcome.

WAnglais1 it sounds stressful having to reinterview for one's own job. I'm glad it turned out well for you, and reading career/job hunting advice books is NOT silly. I read several when I left academia five years ago, and they helped me land a great (at the time) job in the industry. Now that my current job is no longer that great and I'm starting to look for another one, I'll be hitting those books again.

Ms Monday

Ms Monday

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

Not that wallowing in self pity for a while isn't a good idea (I think it is sometimes...and having indulged myself from time to time it would certainly be hypocritical of me to say otherwise), I have found over the past few years that my work situations, outlook on work and life and overall happiness have been closely linked to my weight (which has never dropped after having my second child, and is currently about 35 lbs over where I should/would like to be): so that stress, unhappiness, toxic environment etc. have all contributed to weight gain but also when I have managed a couple of times to take control over the weight and exercise part of my life, that has resulted in changes to my work (in a positive way).

Most recently, when a large divestment was occurring in our workplace, I deliberately chose to NOT let the situation get to me...and while I had no control over the decisions being made about my work and my job, I took action on the part of my life I DO have control over i.e. diet and exercise, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Not that I have been perfect: having maintained control over both which greatly helped me through a tough decision process, I subsequently gave up on it (unintentionally), and within about 3 months gained back about 25-35 lbs (I don't know for sure, as I wouldn't get on the scale). But, I am back on the wagon again, so to speak...

I just think that while you can and should take as much control over your work life and job search/career planning etc. as you can, there are some elements of it that you just cannot control - what jobs are available, who else you are competing against, who is doing the hiring etc. Whereas, setting goals for yourself in areas of physical accomplishments (running is a great one, but there are many), and taking control over your own diet and exercise allows you to find a healthy way to respond to the stress (yummy as those carbs are, they don't actually reduce the stress or make you happy in the long run), and sets you up in a much more positive frame of mind to look for work, interview, set other (realistic) goals, train, network etc.

And, for me, there was very much an element of comfort and strength in knowing that "they" (my various employers) could create enough stress that I wanted to (and often did) turn to food, but they couldn't actually make me do that, and somehow losing a bit of weight, achieving several running goals, dressing better in new clothes etc helped me feel and be much more confident ("they don't think much of me, but I know they haven't even given me a chance, and it's them who's losing out when I go somewhere else where I am allowed to contribute what I can"), all of which helped me to move on, make some potentially scary/risky choices, and actually progress quite rapidly in my career as a result.

murrrrr

murrrrr

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 12:01 AM

From the thread for this week's episode:

Who buys a week's worth of produce? How does it stay fresh?
I'm so afraid of wasting it by its going bad that I buy produce no longer than two days in advance.

I do buy a week's worth of produce. I buy high quality produce. It does cost more initially, but it lasts longer and I don't end up throwing it out, which in reality would make it a waste of money.

I try to shop at higher end grocery stores. I just find the quality of the produce is so much better than it is at the discount stores.

madam magpie

madam magpie

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 12:10 AM

I buy produce that lasts a week too. As long as it's not cut fruit, it's usually OK in the crisper. The quality of the produce matters too, like murrr says. I also find that things liked bagged spinach, apples, carrots, and greenish bananas last longer than things like berries, avocados, and bell peppers. So I try to eat those earlier in the week.

murrrrr

murrrrr

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 12:36 AM

Frozen produce can be good too. I've even heard that it retains nutrients better than fresh.

I used to have to take iron supplements, which are about $15 a month. I started buying frozen spinach and mixing it with my meals, just because I wanted some variety in my veggies... not for the iron. The next time I went for my yearly physical, my doctor told me my iron levels were fine and I no longer needed the supplements. Hmm!

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 4:07 AM

Food that is frozen is actually better for you then most non-local produce. Food loses nutrients every day so something traveling five days to get to you is less nutritious then food that has been picked and frozen. If you buy local you are probably good. I just read that baby carrots are soaked in chlorine to help them keep their color so baby carrots are out for me. Yuck

JLVerde

JLVerde

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 8:09 AM

I also buy a week's worth of produce at one time. And now that I actively eat it, I don't throw out much at all (the occassional item does go bad).

The washed/bagged stuff doesn't last as long, so I make sure I buy only what I know I will eat. Sometimes that does mean I buy a little less than I really needed, but I'd rather have one stingy salad for the week then throw out any.

I also buy frozen fruit all the time. I can get a big bag of mixed berries (blue, rasp, and black berries) at Target for $9-$13 (depending on if it's on sale) and it lasts about two weeks. I waste NONE of it. Every morning I portion out what I'm going to eat that day and it thaws in my lunch bag (keeping other foods cool as it does). I even buy frozen when berries are in season, since berries are one of the few fresh items that just do not last more than a few days despite my best efforts (they're so fragile).

When it comes to getting fruit servings in, don't forget apple sauce and pre-packaged fruit cups. You can get both that have no added sugar (or artificial sweetners) and if you buy on sale they are very reasonable (no waste, portable, convenient). I buy applesauce all the time. It's perfect for breakfast.

suzysite

suzysite

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 8:30 AM

I found that using those green-tinted ziptop food storage bags really adds to the shelf life of my produce. I get the cheapest brand of the bags I can find, since I think they all work the same. Even my pre-cut salad mixes last about twice as long in them.

murrrrr

murrrrr

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 8:31 AM

I just read that baby carrots are soaked in chlorine to help them keep their color so baby carrots are out for me. Yuck

I've never seen the appeal of baby carrots. Just buy whole carrots, wash them and they are ready to go. What's wrong with good old fashioned, carrot sticks?

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 8:34 AM

Old fashion carrot sticks require I cut them and I am lazy. Baby carrots I could buy for dipping and I had to do no work. So I am changing that habit. But I am lazy and look for ways that I can eat healthy without taking a ton of time.

JLVerde

JLVerde

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 8:48 AM

I second the baby carrot laziness. Especially when I was first making healthy changes. I was constantly looking for excuses and if I had to actually PREP some food that was the perfect excuse not to eat the healthier choices.

I got burned out on baby carrots pretty quickly. If I go back to raw carrots, I'll prep my own. I bet they'll taste better (and I'll be able to get them for a song when they're in season at the farmer's markets).

Special Kay

Special Kay

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 2:18 PM

Baby carrots are really just regular carrots milled down to that size/shape.

I get my produce from a CSA from June to September. Since you're getting produce directly from the farm the day or the day after it's picked, it LASTS. I spend about $25 for a week of vegetables, fruit, eggs, and a little cheese. Since I don't eat meat, the rest mostly comes out of my pantry (rice, grains, cereal etc.) and I hardly go to the grocery store over those months except to buy olive oil, yogurt, and toilet paper.

Seriously -- check out the CSA option. You usually have to front the money in the spring, but then you feel like you're eating free for months and months. And I get to support a local farm.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 6:28 PM

The CSA in our area is not that great. We tried it and several of our friends tried it. We do have a garden during the summer and grow a bunch of veggies. We need to plan our garden soon.

DakotaJustice

DakotaJustice

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 11:15 PM

I loathe the "baby cut" carrots...to me they have no flavor.

I just buy big carrots, wash them and cut them into "chips" on the diagonal. Much tastier, fresher and actually easier to dip - like a real chip, and they don't roll away when accidentally dropped on the floor. :-)