Weight Issues: We Know a Little Something About Them

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1332 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 8:13 PM

This is the place to discuss weight issues as they pertain to the show. For example, if someone says she's 120 pounds heavier since having two babies, and you think that's not possible, discuss that here. Feel free to add your own input and experiences, but it shouldn't become a thread that's JUST about posters' weight experiences.

In other words, like every other place on this site (save the Meet Markets), it should relate to the show.

Wibadgers

Wibadgers

Video Archivist

• Interests:Vegas, Sports, Cooking, Exercising

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 9:46 PM

Hi all, new to the this thread, but not the show. I have seen every episode of BL and I think this season will be the best. I am stoked that Jillian is back. Can't stand Kim, love Bob.

I was once close to 300lbs myself. 5 years ago I had had enough and decided to finally stick to it and lose weight. I was 32 and miserable. I am married to a wonderful man that was my total support. Never once did he ever tell me I needed to lose weight. He was not(and never has been)heavy. I couldn't have done it without him. My motivation was going on a trip to Vegas where we would be doing a ton of walking. We had been going there for 6 years(anniversary)and the year before I was miserable walking. He was all excited because we could go again that summer. My heart sank and I told him I couldn't go unless I lost weight because of the pain a year before.

That night he took me to Sears to pick out my choice of exercise equipment. I chose the elliptical. I threw away every ounce of junk food in the house(which I was the primary eater of). I refused to use pills, have surgery, or go on Atkins or any other type of "diet". I didn't want to give up my favorite foods. If I want noodles damnit, I was going to have them! Junk food wasn't one of those types of food I had to have, so not eating that was fine with me and I didn't die not having it and after I lost a certain amount of wait, I did treat myself once in awhile to that junk food.

My "diet" was cutting back and exercise. I wasn't sure about weights, but my husband had bought a home weight gym for him and I took interest and he helped me. I am forever grateful for that because I would have had a ton of sagging skin. I started with 20 minutes a day on the elliptical. I thought I was going to die. Gradually it got easier and I was up to 40 minutes a day. It was about 2 months before I started doing the weights. Even though hubby didn't need to lose weight, he exercised with me and cut back as well.

As far as food, the biggest thing I did was not eat after dinner. Which I have now learned isn't that crucial. If it's calories that you haven't consumed during the day, it's fine to have a "snack" at night. We usually have popcorn. This isn't every night either. My calorie intake during the day now is much less then it was when I started to lose weight. I didn't eat out for dinner for the first 6 months. I worked very hard. When I noticed my clothes were getting big that was all I needed to keep going. I also kept a chart with upcoming events on it to motivate me as well.

Jumping ahead to our trip to Vegas, I had lost 17lbs at that time. I was extremely nervous to go. I wasn't sure about eating and not having my elliptical made me a little crazy. Well it turned out that I ended up losing weight while there with all the walking. I had shorts that I couldn't take with because they were too small and when I got back, they were too big. It went way better then I thought. I had noticed while there and walking so much that my thighs weren't rubbing together anymore. That was huge for me. I was so happy.

So not to ramble, I basically had to learn how to eat right. I didn't need 5 pieces of pizza, a half a bag of chips, and 4 cookies for dinner. I can eat pretty much anything I want within reason. I'm not about to go buy a bunch of pastries and gallons of ice cream(my weakness). I can stare at the stuff, but I have no need to buy it. To me that's just as good as eating it. Hubby and I will walk to DQ once in awhile and have a blizzard, but ice cream is rarely in my house. I don't miss those things and I found out even though I ate a ton of candy bars back in the day, I don't like chocolate...weird.

I'm happy to say that I have lost 150lbs. I maintained it quite well up until last winter. I gained 20lbs and although that might not seem like a lot to some, it killed me. I cried for days. My poor hubby, he didn't understand how I felt. I never ever want to be obese again and to gain that weight, I was scared I was going to. I didn't realize until around April that I had gained that weight. I had gained a few pounds when we would go on vacation, but always lost it right away. Never gained more then 5 pounds. I know we had ate out more because we were gone so much over the winter. I watch a 3 year old and I started taking walks with her every day. I told my husband how nice it was and he even got into it. He and I have walked every night(weather permitting)since July. I have lost the 20lbs and am so happy. I do a dvd 3 days a week for lunges and squats with weights and the walking and that's been plenty for me to keep off the weight. The only sagging I have is my upper thighs. I can't believe how that dvd has helped. My legs have never looked like this and soon they won't be sagging anymore.

To this day I have lost 120lbs. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I did it and stuck to it and am damn proud of myself. I was a size 30/32 when I started and now I am a 6/8. I don't think I was ever lower then a 10. I gave away 8 huge garbage bags of clothes to Goodwill. The one problem was that I did become obsessed with the lost weight and drove my hubby and myself crazy with it. I would get pissed just gaining a pound which would explain my hysterics with the 20 I gained. But about a month ago I just got a grip and totally fell in love with the way I feel and look. I'm still about 10 away from my goal weight, but if I don't get there, it's fine. I'm happy for the first time in a long time. The one thing that will always be, is that the obese girl I once was, will always be inside me somewhere.

I'd like to see a show called "The last 15 lbs" because to me those are the hardest.

I have said this to my husband many times about a show like this. Yes, it is the hardest. I would do this show in a heartbeat!

I have attached a before and after picture. The before picture is not my heaviest weight. That outfit didn't fit me at the time I started. That picture was about a year before. I can't find a picture of my whole self right before I started. The after picture is about 20 pounds more then what I weigh now and was 3 years ago.

Before and After

Edited by Wibadgers, Sep 12, 2007 @ 9:58 PM.

Sleepyhead Case

Sleepyhead Case

Fanatic

• Interests:Politics, travel, and TV - of course. I love TV so much I watch a lot on my vacations. The hotel room has to be nice enough where I can spend all day watching TV that has a myriad of channels from which to choose.

Latest recommendation:

Hotel: Novotel al Dana Resort in Manama, Bahrain

Memorable TV Moment at Hotel: Watching Big Love (my favorite show at the time). I listened to the English under the Arabic dubbing.

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 11:49 PM

What an amazing story! Congratulations on your weight loss!! I "inherited" an elliptical from my sister who does the whole Callanetics thing now. I only work out twice a week. I'm at my set point weight and that's all I will commit to now. I LOVE the elliptical. Fun doing it while watching shows like this.

Honey Wheeler

Honey Wheeler

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 12:40 AM

Thanks for sharing your story, wibadgers. Hearing about someone successfully losing weight in a sensible manner is more inspirational to me than the crazy stuff on TBL. Best of luck to you!

Wibadgers

Wibadgers

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 7:38 AM

Thanks guys. I can understand where the contestants are coming from. If I was miserable after 20 minutes, I can't imagine how I would have done after a Jillian workout.

The thing with me is that I get bored doing the same thing over and over. I don't have the ellipitcal anymore. We did get another home gym and a really nice exercise bike. I used those for a good year. Unfortunetly, my back did not do well with those two. I used to be crazy about exercising and thinking I had to do it 7 days a week. When summer began, I decided I wasn't going to kill myself anymore. That's when I became happy with who I was. If I lost more weight, great, if not, I was fine with it. We really enjoy our walks. We change it up a couple times a week. We have 2 routes, a 30 minute and a 40 minute. We have a lot of restaurants in walking distance for us(usually 40 minutes to and 40 minutes back), so there isn't a lot of guilt about eating out. I don't guilt much about eating out because I learned at the beginning of this diet that leftovers are a wonderful thing. I rarely finish my meal.

It took 5 years to get to where I am, but finally being happy is all worth it...

LynnA

LynnA

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 7:38 AM

DMW

I tend to think that if people who don't have weight issues actually tune in (which is doubtful), that they'll have sympathy. I don't know how you could watch this show and not have some sympathy/empathy for this struggle, so I think it DOES advance society's impression and acceptance of fat people in some small way.

I have been a person who has been skinny most of my life. Unless I was pregnant I never weighed more than 110 and I am small boned. Growing up my best friend was, for lack of a better word, fat. We used to be teased, you know, "fatty and skinny went to bed...."

Now, at 52 and having gone through and finished menopause, my metabolism has slowed considerably and as someone who could eat whatever I wanted, i found myself creeping up to my last weight at 140 - most of which ended up between my boobs and my knees. I found it difficult to bend and even get my legs close enough to clip my toenails with my extra tummy, I can't imagine what it's like for the people on BL. The show is inspiring to say the least and it shows that with diet and exercise a person can get themselves to a healthy weight. I find myself hoping that all of these people follow up their initial successes by keeping the weight off.

I found that by simply cutting my portions and walking more I was able to get down to, for me, a reasonable 120 lbs (and I do look and feel better too) and I can clean the cat box without gasping for air.

I know someone who has been successful by going to weight loss spas. One was in Hilton Head (can recall the name) and the other was Mountain Trek in British Columbia, where she was about a month ago and lost 20 lbs in two weeks.

On another note, I'm glad to see Jillian back on the show. She does seem to care about her charges. When she arrived on this first episode her smiles and hugs seemed truly genuine.

Edited by TWoP Mars, Sep 13, 2007 @ 3:02 PM.
Moved from the episode thread

takinitoff

takinitoff

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 7:59 AM

Wibadger....wow! You've just given me the inspiration to keep going in my weight loss efforts. Under the advice of my trainer, I'm supposed to do about 45 minutes of cardio every morning. I also do pilates twice a week. I'm starting to see a difference in my body but still have a long ways to go.

And to those who can't understand how you can gain so much weight.....sometimes you just get complacent...like I did. Then when I became determined to take it off...I realized I had put too much on and became insulin resistant. I was dieting to maintain! With the help of some medication and my personal trainer....it's finally coming off.

kellyee

kellyee

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 8:20 AM

I have watched the Biggest Loser from the first season and I love the show. Being fat is already hard enough but to leave home and to be put on a show to have you fatness shown to the world is even harder. But one thing that I can't stand is the people who come on to the shows and then after the first day start crying about how hard it is. "Oh my back hurts.......oh I can't take it anymore........oh my god I wish I would have stayed home." Seriously people you knew coming on to the show what will be happening to you. And grant it, working out and exercising is not easy.....especially the way that they do it, but I am sick of the people who start crying and going on and on about how hard they worked. Please SHUT UP.

For some people (not all, but some), being fat is a symptom of a larger personality problem. Some of them were allowed to be whiners and give up alot as kids, and now they have no drive to succeed as adults. If you watch Honey, We're Killing the Kids, you can see where some of these people got their eating habits and personality traits. Again, not all of them by any means. But you can see that some of them aren't used to having to stick with something or push through pain or discomfort. Which is why other diets don't work, and why some people really do need Jillian to bully them into action. Isabeau in particular struck me as someone who is used to blaming everyone else for her problems. Her whining on the diary cam during the team selection was grating on my ears.

PittsburghDiva

PittsburghDiva

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 8:48 AM

That is an amazing story and you are also giving me inspiration. So far I have lost 46.5 lbs and I have more to lose. (I am doing the 1st personal diet- for whatever reason, it is the only thing that has worked for me)

Wibadgers

Wibadgers

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 10:48 AM

And to those who can't understand how you can gain so much weight.....sometimes you just get complacent...like I did.

takinitoff, I never even thought I was that heavy even going and buying the big clothes. I didn't realize it until I had been dieting for 3 years and came across that picture I used for the before picture. My husband even said he can't believe that was me. He ended up losing 20 pounds himself.

Keep doing what your doing and those results will come sooner then you think! Keep up the good work!

PittsburghDiva, congrats on your weight loss as well! That's great! One can only do what works for them. The lady I work for has been on Atkins 3 times in the 3 years I've been watching her diet. As soon as she hits about the 20lb weight loss, she goes off it and gains that and then some back. Atkins would never work for me and like I said in my original post, I'm not giving up everything I like. Good Luck!

littlenicky2007

littlenicky2007

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 11:00 AM

{snip}

Edited by TWoP Mars, Sep 13, 2007 @ 11:35 AM.
Boards on boards and off topic

LynnA

LynnA

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 11:40 AM

I didn't want to give up my favorite foods. If I want noodles damnit, I was going to have them!

Congratulations Wibadgers!

There is a book out called The Skinny: how to fit into your little black dress forever by Melissa Clark & Robin Aronson who actually advocates that approach in their book. She's a food critic who eats in restaurants almost ever day and Robin is the mother of twins. The book is light and funny and says that portion control is the answer (and exercise), not denying yourself the foods that give you pleasure.

Also, even though the book is called The Skinny, the authors advocate being a size you're comfortable with, not super model skinny.

Edited by LynnA, Sep 13, 2007 @ 11:42 AM.

Realitywannabe

Realitywannabe

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 11:56 AM

My weight issues go the opposite way...for better or for worse. I was always pretty happy with my weight (5'9 1/2, 150 lbs and size 8). I started exercising while in college and did it a few days a week. I fluctuated a few pounds up or down, but 150 was my "set point" weight.

Anyway, I decided to go back to school and get another degree at age 27 and hated it. I got an internship after my second year, and it was like a food fest. I had never worked anywhere that had such a food-oriented culture- catered lunch meetings, dinners, drinks, cakes in the break room, etc etc. I have always loved food, and having so much around me made me shoot up to 175 pounds in 3 months. I couldn't seem to resist eating once the food was in front of me.

When I returned to school, I was determined to lose the weight and dieted with a vengance- counted every calorie, worked out like a fiend every day. I lost the weight, and kept going--and started with more severe behaviors-which ended up turning into an eating disorder. I graduated from school weighing less than 120 pounds and sometimes even the size 0 clothes were too big. Of course, there were other contributing issues that I wont go into right now.

Well, the body finds remarkable ways to cope, and it got to the point where I had to do more and more to try to keep losing weight. I was clinically depressed to the point of being suicidal. I finally decided to get help.

I've been recovering for a few years now, but the obsessive/disordered thoughts are still there. My weight fluctuates between 137-147 now. When I gain weight, I still freak out, and am happy when the scale goes down even a little bit. I weigh myself at least twice a day and work out 6 days a week. I still have my occasional binges, though not as big as before (yes, I've eaten a whole pizza and a 1/2 gallon of ice cream by myself in one sitting). I still have my crash diets too, especially before big events. I know these behaviors aren't healthy, but I'm trying to cope as best as possible.

I guess all of this to say that even those who look slim may be battling with some of the same issues as bigger people- depression, low self esteem, etc. When I look in the mirror, I only see the fat parts, even though people tell me how slim I am.

I'm pretty obsessed with weight, which is why I watch BL (among other weight loss shows). Sometimes it triggers me in bad ways, but I do enjoy seeing the people's transformations and like seeing the workouts. Jillian is indeed a monster and she scares me (loved the recap, though- I could picture her cutting off her leg then jump roping on her one good one). Bob's training style probably would work for me- the right balance of push with a dose of compassion.

I'm familiar with all of the quick weight loss tricks- I've used them! Wearing sweatsuits and working out really hard to cut weight, dehydrating myself, diuretics, you name it, I've probably done it. I wonder if shows like this have ever triggered any of the contestants down the path of disordered eating and weight obsession and really unhealthy behaviors to try to mantain the weight loss once they've left the compound?

Crooklyn Dodger

Crooklyn Dodger

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 12:19 PM

I didn't want to give up my favorite foods. If I want noodles damnit, I was going to have them!

Wibadgers, I agree with you 100% - Great Job! I've lost a little more than 100 lbs in much the same way. I realized that conventional dieting always would, and did result in failure. I like what I like, and trying to convince myself that I could live without them was just a matter of seeing how long I could hold out. I decided that I needed to make certain deals with myself, that would allow me to create a lifestyle that I could live with for the rest of my life. If I tell you some of the things that I've eaten and still managed to lose weight, I'd certainly be cast out of TBL campus. I'm so happy that I've found a balance and that I can really do this forever. One caveat though; the day the exercise stops, the deal's off and the weight creeps back on.

Meraji

Meraji

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 1:06 PM

posted in the episode thread:

but I think if someone doesn't have a weight problem, then they're watching to laugh at the fat asses.

I think that's a rather harsh assessment of people without weight problems. I am somewhat overweight and I look to this show to provide me with some motivation to workout and eat a little more healthy. However, my brother, who never has had a weight problem and is now into building muscle, recently discovered the BL on cable and absolutely loves it. I'd say he also watches it for motivation to work out and to see the transformations at the end (he loved Eric). And since he's into weight lifting and all that before, since watching this show he now sees becoming a personal trainer as a potentially viable side career to his day job. Now, that's just an assessment of one person, but I would like to believe that most thin people have a general sense of goodwill about them. I'd imagine there's a lot less laughing going on than you think.

I'd also like to agree with some others who've expressed the sentiment that allowing the women to wear something besides the sportsbra/spandex combo would be a very good thing.

Edited by Meraji, Sep 13, 2007 @ 3:39 PM.

LPTrixieKiller

LPTrixieKiller

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 1:21 PM

but I think if someone doesn't have a weight problem, then they're watching to laugh at the fat asses.

Interesting. So does that apply to all reality type programming where the viewer may not have a similar characteristic to the contestant? If I watch Extreme Home Makeover, and don't have the problems any of the people featured on it do, is it to laugh at them?

Yes, people love a train wreck. However, if you're watching a show for a meltdown, why would someone watch this one? One thing is for certain with this show - people are going to leave it thinner than they came in. So if I'm watching it to laugh at them, the joke is on me.

Besides, I get enough laughs at the famewhores on the other 3423 reality shows I watch.

SleepyAllison

SleepyAllison

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 1:25 PM

I don't have a weight problem and I love the show. Not because I like laughing at "fat asses", but because I love watching the transformations. It's like a huge makeover show.

Plus, I work out a lot and watching gives me new ideas/motivation.

Right now I'm training for a 10 miler and recently have been stalling out on training runs. Watching the show is giving me the push I need to just get out on the pavement and get it done.

Also while I don't LIKE Kim I'm not sure if I get the feeling from her that she "hates" fat people. She seems hard to connect with as a character on the show because her perky demeanor seems like an act for the cameras to me. But then Jillian's "beating beatings beatings" "you wusses, no one wants you" seems just as over the top. Maybe my feelings will change as I get to see them more. (I've only ever seen the second half of last season.)

Bob is total love though. I wish he were my trainer!

BrahmaGirl

BrahmaGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 1:35 PM

...I think if someone doesn't have a weight problem, then they're watching to laugh at the fat asses.

While I have struggled with small weight-gain from hypothyroidism, you probably would never know it if you saw me on the street. The fact is, I love fitness and how it makes me feel strong, like I can take on the world and do anything. I tuned in to this episode (and will continue to watch this show) for inspiration and education. I feel compassion for the participants and while I admit to being taken aback by their sheer mass at the weigh-in, I want to learn about and understand their struggles. I want to see them succeed, because I want them to feel that same sense of power and confidence I feel when I exercise.

I can't speak for everyone, but this show does foster compassion in me, and it breaks my heart to think that, if I (at 5'9" and 145lbs) told someone I liked this show, they would assume it's because I'm an insensitive asshole. I guess my point is that we shouldn't make assumptions about others' intentions and perceptions without first understanding their background. And I think shows like this one help everyone (big and small alike) overcome that tendency.

I hope this isn't too off-topic - since this is the first full episode I've ever watched, I really am talking about my perceptions from this particular broadcast.

Irish Sean

Irish Sean

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 1:46 PM

I don't watch the show to laugh at fat asses, but I do find myself annoyed with most of the contestants.

There are some that you can tell have deep rooted issues with food going back to childhood and they probably need counseling as much as they do a personal trainer, so those people I feel sorry for.

But for those who are just fat and say "I let myself go" I get a little angry at them (which is most of them). Mainly because it just shows laziness and reflects on that person as a whole, but also because I know that obesity and the illnesses it causes are the leading cause of rising health care costs in this country.

But overall I tune in to see the transformation and see the look in people's faces of how obvious the changes needed to be (eat less, work out) and see how they run with it when they return home. I get really pissed when I see people that return home and donít do anything different. Itís just a waste to see that, someone else might have been able to use that opportunity.

I know my assessment may upset some, but that's what I feel.

YourDensity

YourDensity

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 2:14 PM

I work out a great deal, like it's my job practically. Triathlons, swimming all week, running, lifting, soccer, surfing, etc etc.. and I've never had a weight problem. I'm not CRAZY cut like the trainers but I'm in pretty darn good shape. My reason for watching the show is seeing the light bulb go on for these people. Seeing them *get it*. Whether it's understanding HOW to lose weight, or understanding that they CAN do it, or understanding their motivations for eating too much (though, they don't show too much of all that, they do meet with counselors as well, right?) I like watching the process.

Like "What not to wear" I like seeing people transformed and feeling so GOOD about themselves. These people you can see the skinny person in them fighting to get out. My sympathy for them is a different thing. I am sorry they feel badly, and I'm sorry that they maybe had rough stuff happen that got them to that point. However, it's hard to completely feel sympathetic. It's a tough thing, the weight thing. So many countries don't have enough to eat, and we somehow manage to use food as a pain medication. I never like to see someone in pain, but at times I get so frustrated with people who complain about being overweight when they aren't making any positive steps to change it.

Every year they come out with a pill or a "magical" cream, but everyone knows you eat whole healthy foods in moderation and get active and that does it. Unfortunately it's not immediate. Heck, I know with BL at times I skip the middle stuff and just check out the weigh-ins. Instant gratification!

So yes, I love watching the show to see the people become happy, healthy and self-sustaining. However, it IS at times hard to feel badly about it. I have some friends that are overweight, and they get mad at me at times like "you're so lucky" or "shut up, you size __" but the thing is while I'm up at 4:45 am to work out, and I'm eating super healthy they're eating take-out Chinese (sooo delicious, I endulge now and again) and NOT working out, so it's not like I don't work at it..

Edited by YourDensity, Sep 13, 2007 @ 2:16 PM.

Irish Sean

Irish Sean

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 2:19 PM

Right now I'm training for a 10 miler and recently have been stalling out on training runs. Watching the show is giving me the push I need to just get out on the pavement and get it done.

Whatever helps you do it, I've ran half marathons and the 8-10 mile runs are the toughest to get over the hill for me too. Just keep at it, best of luck, and try changing music around to motivate you, as cheesy as it is, eye of the tiger makes me laugh yet get pumped as I think of the stupid Rocky scenes.

Tigger 7

Tigger 7

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 6:44 PM

Exactly. One of the surest ways to set yourself up for a binge is to deny yourself something you really want. Just try to make it so that you include your fave as part of a balanced diet. And if you really know what you want, don't assume a substitute will do. If you KNOW that it is real chocolate you are craving, then have a small bit of it. Don't try to quell your craving with chocolate pudding, chocolate, milk, or such if you know it won't work. If you do that, you're liable to eat the pudding, drink the milk, and then eat the chocolate because it is what you really wanted in the first place.

That's one of the reasons I have enjoyed Weight Watchers instead of programs that tell me I can't have something. With WW, I know I can have it. I just have to learn that I have it in moderation, that I balance it throughout the day (or the week by using my flex points), or that I need to do more activity. Does it work? Well, I've dropped 113 lbs so far, and I am still having chocolate every week (having learned that 2 small dark squares are more satisfying to me than a huge chunk of milk chocolate), I have pizza (but load on the veggies instead of extra cheese and fatty meats), and if I want that piece of cake, I'm finding a way to work it in. If I wasn't able to do that, I would never have stuck with this as long as I have (almost two years).

Sleepyhead Case

Sleepyhead Case

Fanatic

• Interests:Politics, travel, and TV - of course. I love TV so much I watch a lot on my vacations. The hotel room has to be nice enough where I can spend all day watching TV that has a myriad of channels from which to choose.

Latest recommendation:

Hotel: Novotel al Dana Resort in Manama, Bahrain

Memorable TV Moment at Hotel: Watching Big Love (my favorite show at the time). I listened to the English under the Arabic dubbing.

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 7:15 PM

Yes, people love a train wreck. However, if you're watching a show for a meltdown, why would someone watch this one?

Exactly. That's what Rock of Love is for. I love watching this show for the big reason mentioned - transformation. It is the makeover. ITA Irish Sean.

givemeakleenex

givemeakleenex

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 7:47 PM

Is anyone planning to play along at home? I got sucked into the marathon last weekend and it really inspired me. I have big chunk of weight to lose and a co-worker and I have decided to be "Biggest Loser at-home" buddies, using the show as inspiration. They have a pretty comprehensive program on the BL site. I took the stairs at work today for the first time in ages and was shocked at how much it excited me just to take that small step. I'll be jumping on my treadmill tomorrow morning and shockingly, I'm really looking forward to it.

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 8:59 PM

If you guys want to have a topic for the Biggest Loser Club/playing along at home thing, that would be fine by me, too.

bartleby301

bartleby301

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 12:36 AM

Whether it's understanding HOW to lose weight, or understanding that they CAN do it....I like watching the process.

Except that they're not really understanding HOW to lose weight. No one in real life is exercising intensely 6-8 hours a day, having someone else monitor and control their food 24 hours a day. More and more I find this show analogous to a wrestler trying to make weight; it's not about becoming healthy, it's about losing weight to make a number to put you ahead in a competition.

As someone who struggles with my own food & weight issues, it's hard enough to finally begin to realize & accept that self-esteem and happiness are not found or lost because a number on the scale goes down or up and that eating healthy and exercising are quite different from losing weight without being hit in the face by contestants who say, "I weigh XXX pounds, and I'm worthless unless I lose XX pounds." This show reinforces the stereotype that one cannot be happy unless one loses weight, but let's remember -- TBL isn't really a self-improvement show: it's a contest, and the prize is money. I would like it better if it really were about self-improvement, with the participants encouraging each other along the way, not plotting and forming alliances and voting people off.

And what's the big deal about the sports bras? The men are going shirtless and they've got big floppy manboobs. Let's face it, if a gal's 250+ pounds, she's gonna look big no matter what. Actually, one of the things I do like is that the fat people aren't hiding their fat in billowy shirts and oversize shorts. They're showing it all, and I admire their willingness to show America every fat bulge and crevice.

LynnA

LynnA

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 7:36 AM

Overweight people can be terrible to thin people as well. -Skankbiscuit

When I was in my 20's I once had a very overweight co-worker actually ask me, not how did I stay thin, but why I was so thin? Maybe she thought I was anorexic or something, but I would never even have thought of asking her why was she so fat.

Setlist

Setlist

Fanatic

• Interests:Indie rock music, skee ball, air hockey, and selling records.

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 9:19 AM

Overweight people can be terrible to thin people as well.

Honestly, I was both overweight and underweight. I'm currently thin, but can relate to both parties. Here's my observation.

I was a heavy, awkward adolescent. Into high school. It was one of those things that nobody necessarily brought up with me, and I realized that things had to change after seeing a really hideous picture of myself. It was a complete eye opener. It was then that I started researching food, realizing what I was eating, and moderately exercising.

During college, I went through a depression spell based on family matters, and my weight reflected that. Also, I started eating a vegetarian diet, which I still do. So with these things put together, I lost a lot of weight.

Believe me. People were cruel. Even today, I can't go through a day where someone makes a snippy comment, tell me how I look unhealthy, or ask if I have an eating disorder. Everyone tries waving their stomachs in my face, and asks me to comment on "how fat they are", which of course I never do. When they see me eat something like a soft pretzel at a baseball game, they make sure to mention it loudly and ask questions like "So, is that your meal for the day?" despite the fact that I've never refused to eat in their presence. It really screws with your head.

None of these things were brought up when I was overweight. Nobody said one thing about what I ate or didn't eat. But being underweight, I feel like everyone feels free to make the hurtful comments that made me paranoid and self conscious about gains and losses. It really screws with your head. Don't even ask how things like "personality" and "work ethic" factor in, since unfortunately they take a backseat.

canaanite2

canaanite2

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 8:40 AM

PittsburghDiva I checked out the 1st personal diet website and it scares me because I'm a picky eater. It sounds like they send you a meal plan without any regard to foods you dislike or flat out hate. Can you give a little more insight into this diet? I've never heard of it before.

Tigger 7

Tigger 7

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 6:52 PM

None of these things were brought up when I was overweight. Nobody said one thing about what I ate or didn't eat.

Then I guess you were one of the lucky ones. I've had total strangers comment on food I've bought (in restaurants AND in grocery stores), not to mention having total strangers feel they can make comments about me (ie. shouting out car windows, as they leave the subway, things like that...very rarely do it so they stick around to get a reply). Have you ever had someone you don't know "moo" at you? I have...more than once. So you were fortunate that nothing like that was brought up when you were overweight because it does happen. I've been overweight since I was a little kid (ie. kindergarten), so I've endured such ignorant and rude remarks many times during my life. (As I've indicated, I've lost a lot of weight in the past 20 months, but I still have a ways to go to get to my goal.)