Nate Archibald

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

164 replies to this topic

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 7:12 PM

Come on, N. Give me a sign you're in there somewhere.

yogalites

yogalites

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 7:12 AM

Nate is too disappointing from the first episode onwards. He is friends with Chuck? I think this is a bad decision by the producers not casting at least one of his friends from the books.

The actor Chace Crawford is not very good in my opinion. He reminds me too much of Teddy Dunn from VM. Nice to look at but wishing he wouldn't open his mouth to act. His scenes are not very believable and he has no chemistry with Blake on screen or Leighton for that matter. I'm giving him a chance to improve though.

shalia17

shalia17

Fanatic

• Interests:Music, Shopping, College, NABA, Step Squad, TV, Movies, Dining out, dancing, singing, TWOP,facebook,etc...

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 11:50 AM

Did he have his hair cute in one scene and back long in the others??

EvilApplesauce

EvilApplesauce

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 11:26 AM

I noticed that, too, shalia17.

Rorikon

Rorikon

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 1:00 AM

He reminds me too much of Teddy Dunn from VM.

This makes me think. Teddy Dunn wound up being a dud on VM, and I think that's why Logan wound up becoming the second male lead on the show--since Jason Dohring could act and had chemistry with other actors on the set, he was recast as Veronica's love interest halfway through the first season. The show would've gone in such a different direction, I feel, if Teddy Dunn had screen presence.

But what will the Gossip Girl scribes do if their Nate turns out to suck? Since the show is based on a series of books, it's not like Nate can be written out of the show and a secondary male lead can be bumped up, right? I wonder if it could be done.

Teddy44

Teddy44

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 8:45 AM

I am just extremely excited that there is a television character apparently named after Hall of Fame former Boston Celtics point guard (and New York streetball legend) Nate "Tiny" Archibald.

I recognize that the universe of Gossip Girl watchers and the universe of early-'80s Celtics fans might not overlap to any huge degree, but I for one welcome Tiny to TWoP.

EDIT--spacing.

Edited by Teddy44, Sep 20, 2007 @ 8:46 AM.

Toga88

Toga88

Couch Potato

• Interests:I'm preternaturally snarky. It's a blessing and a curse. I love TV. Watching it, writing it, (and to break the 'w' word scheme) critiquing it. Maybe one day, I'll get to do at least one of the three professionally. I'm a Leo who enjoys lounging about, pondering the meaning of life, and a good game of Scattergories. I completely ripped this off from my blog profile.

Posted Sep 22, 2007 @ 6:40 PM

Acting wise, he reminds me of Teddy Dunn, as well - but I still have hope for him. Physically, he kind of looks like a less gorgeous Ian Somerhalder - and I can live with that.

ChrisWyle

ChrisWyle

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 3:51 AM

I got the impression that Chace Crawford doesn't seem to react well to other actors. He seems to wait for the other person to stop talking before deciding to go for his line and that just makes listening to his conversations very awkward as a viewer..
I get the Teddy Dunn comparison as well, and I just have my fingers crossed that he warms up to his role soon and gets better. I make it a point to give an actor a shot beyond the pilot before completely judging them- it's a new cast, they don't all know each other.. it takes some people longer than others to mesh.

Quarantined

Quarantined

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

I've had a little crush on Chace Crawford since the Covenant. It's an awful movie, but the male cast is incredibly hot, and shirtless.
Chace's acting is much improved in this show, however.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2007 @ 4:52 PM

Dude is kind of pretty so from a purely shallow viewpoint I'm ok (though I much prefer Dan's dad), but his acting at the moment does seem a little under par. I hope he does step up and improve soon or I can see myself forgetting all about his prettiness.

Also I have to say I cannot see why Blair is so into him (apart from the obvious, but how long is that going to last?), as a person he seems so blank, I'm not sure if this is the character or the actor (since I haven't read the books) but I find myself thinking she (and Serena) can do much better. I would definitely be ok with him getting a little less screentime in favour of the others though.

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 8:43 AM

I can't talk about the actor since I find the character pretty much a blank. His core characteristics seem to be stupidity and spinelessness.

Where's the reaction to his father pimping him to Blair?

heathrowe99

heathrowe99

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 9:46 AM

The actor is not hot enough to play Nate.
Why all the gel in his hair? Ick.
I love him in the books, actually, but in the show I'm finding Dan much hotter.

Bo Davis

Bo Davis

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 9, 2007 @ 1:29 AM

Why all the gel in his hair? Ick.

That's what I wonder about a lot of guys I see every day. Guys style their hair too much, guys use too much styling products like gel and wax, I find it very much a 21st century guy thing. :) Heck, I probably have too much styling product in my hair right now, and I was being reserved in front of the mirror this morning. ;)

Me, I've been completely taken by the actor's reddish hair and bright blue eyes ever since I learned about him through "Covenant" promotional material, so I'm probably biased. This or this is just over-styled hotness to me, and as long as that's being broughten I'm so down with anything concerning Nate. *shallow*

Edited by Bo Davis, Oct 9, 2007 @ 1:30 AM.

freesia

freesia

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2007 @ 7:41 AM

According to E!'s Ted Casablanca, Chace Crawford has been spotted making out with Carrie Underwood all over NYC.

The Awful Truth link

stuffy

stuffy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2007 @ 1:59 PM

If you look hard enough, you can find pictures of them walking together. No hand holding or anything though. You can't tell anything from the pictures.

SeattleMorgan

SeattleMorgan

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Hello there!<br /><br />I'm a bit of an intellectual fanatic, so I guess TWoP is the perfect place for me. I've been lurking... forever, it seems, but because I'm a commitment-phobe, I never decided to jump off the ledge and get a damned account until now. How many hours can you lurk without joining, anyway?<br /><br />I love Prison Break, Gossip Girl, House, Grey's Anatomy, Heroes, America's Next Top Model (guilty pleasure), Criminal Minds, and Cold Case.<br /><br />However, inexplicably, So You Think You Can Dance is my one true love. o_O.<br /><br />I'm also an avid slasher. Need! More! Gossip Girl! Slash!<br /><br />I love this community-- analyzing and discussing shows in a Socratic style forum with other intellectual and passionate (read: geeky) members. Also: snark!<br /><br />I do not love tween transplants to TWoP who OMGZ TALK LIKE THIS!!!11 how hAwT is nathan patrelli!<br /><br />Non-T.V. Interests:<br />-Music: Imogen Heap, Death Cab for Cutie, Lily Allen, The White Stripes<br />-Harry Potter. Seriously hardcore fan over here!

Posted Oct 21, 2007 @ 2:40 PM

No kidding! Interesting couple...

Well, they'd certainly make very pretty (Chace) and talented (ALL Carrie, no offense haha!) babies!

ChrisWyle

ChrisWyle

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2007 @ 9:18 AM

So I was watching a video of one of the cast's photoshoots.. Chace actually comes forward as a pretty fun guy. Too bad he can't incorporate that into his character..

CaitieUGA

CaitieUGA

Fanatic

• Interests:Gossip Girl, Veronica Mars, Young and the Restless, Ugly Betty, Chuck, The Wire, Big Love, Coupling, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, The Discovery Channel, Project Runway, and more.

Posted Nov 4, 2007 @ 10:18 AM

In an ironic case of real life imitating fiction, Chase Crawford got busted yesterday by gossip blogger Perez Hilton for "cheating" on Carrie Underwood. With Katrina Bowden from 30 Rock! He probably met her on set; Gossip Girl and 30 Rock film at the same NYC studio.

Blair feels your pain, Carrie!

Edited by CaitieUGA, Nov 4, 2007 @ 10:18 AM.

stuffy

stuffy

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2007 @ 3:30 PM

Perez left off the part of the People article where everyone involved denied it.

ilovestamos

ilovestamos

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 15, 2007 @ 3:00 AM

I just had a quick question, something that occurred to me tonight: If Blair was a virgin up until her indiscretion with Chuck, was Nate a virgin when he had sex with Serena? I missed a couple of earlier episodes, so maybe that was addressed then. If he was, it makes what they did seem worse.

anyday

anyday

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 15, 2007 @ 8:37 AM

Is it just me or does it seem like Nate is kinda tuning in on Duncan Kane?.. with the brooding, goofiness (at times) and the tuning the world out with music.

ChrisWyle

ChrisWyle

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2007 @ 10:11 AM

I just had a quick question, something that occurred to me tonight: If Blair was a virgin up until her indiscretion with Chuck, was Nate a virgin when he had sex with Serena? I missed a couple of earlier episodes, so maybe that was addressed then. If he was, it makes what they did seem worse.

I think we can assume that he was a virgin as well, since he and Blair have been a couple since they were practically kids, and with Blair's vision of Nate as perfect, it doesn't seem that he ever did anything wrong until Serena.

becbec

becbec

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2007 @ 8:27 PM

Someone must have prodded Chace with a cattle prod, because he seemed to wake up and start [attempting to] act in the last ep. Which was nice: the boy has some charisma when he's not imitating a coma patient.

ChrisWyle

ChrisWyle

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2007 @ 6:56 AM

Someone must have prodded Chace with a cattle prod, because he seemed to wake up and start [attempting to] act in the last ep. Which was nice: the boy has some charisma when he's not imitating a coma patient.

I noticed that too. He was still somewhat bland, of course. But I saw instances where there seemed to be some more emotion than usual. One scene that comes to mind is when he was 'depositing' Jenny in the cab- after having waved her off, he gave a sort of genuine smile. It didn't seem wooden, which was nice for a change.

Rowena666

Rowena666

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2007 @ 7:53 AM

I'm very disappointed in Nate after the most recent episode. It seems like he views his relationship with Blair as one-dimensional- either she's his girlfriend, or she's nothing to him. Why else wouldn't he call her on her birthday? He knows that those sorts of traditions are important to her, so would it be too much to ask for that, after being involved in one way or another (friends, more than that, pretending-to-be-more-than-that-for-daddy's-sake) for 10+ years, he carried on the tradition? He could have made it clear that he was only calling as a friend, not as a boyfriend, but it doesn't seem like he even cares about her as a friend. It's as if he figures, "Ok, not her boyfriend anymore, don't owe her anything," completely ignoring the fact that she has been deeply, intimately connected to him for years and he owes it to that connection to continue to do things for her, even if it is just calling or showing up at the party in a platonic way. And I think it's clear that Blair doesn't view Nate in the same way- even after they had broken up, as soon as she saw the newspaper, all she could think about was how Nate was feeling. You don't have to be in love with someone to give a crap about them- except, it seems, if you're Nate.

ChrisWyle

ChrisWyle

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2007 @ 4:14 PM

He could have simply forgotten while he was bonding with Jenny and then if/when he remembered, decided against it since the moment had passed. Of course, that's thoughtless too..
But in his defense, he has always called at midnight as her 'boyfriend'. Also, earlier in the afternoon, during their phone conversation, Nate was giving in to his parent's wishes and going along with it, but he could tell that Blair totally wanted to get back into the relationship and he might have felt that anything on his behalf would make her feel that they were back together..

Imrahil

Imrahil

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2007 @ 10:26 PM

I think I forgot something. What reason does nate have for hating...Carter? Is that his name? Anyway, I think you know who I'm talking about.

Casa de Halpert

Casa de Halpert

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2007 @ 10:41 PM

What reason does nate have for hating...Carter?

He screwed him over in episode 5 during a game of poker, I believe. I wasn't quite paying attention.

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 12:16 AM

He got Nate into a shady poker game and in way over his head, then expected him to drain his trust fund to pay off the debt. Nate attacked Carter for using their friendship to set him up for the con, but then before the thugs could get him, Chuck arrived and paid everybody off.

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

• Interests:Psychiatry(doh!)<br />Knitting<br />Tv(doh!)

Posted Dec 13, 2007 @ 4:39 PM

I'm still on the fence about the character and Chace. On one hand, I admit that Nate is not a very developed character so far and that his motivations seem shallow, but I don't know if he's not being given more complex dialogue because the actor simply does not have the chops.

We'll see though. Last episode he was a bit more proactive I guess and of course it didn't hurt that Chace and Leighton totally sold that reconciliation scene.