Because He's Chuck Bass

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

898 replies to this topic

DevilRedeemed

DevilRedeemed

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

Just rewatched 5.11; didn't notice before the way Chuck scammed Louis into exposing Blair and Dan at the party, just so [Chuck] would come out innocent when it blew up in their faces, LOL! There are no characters like Chuck on TV (or like most of the GG crew, for that matter). Love it!

I thought it was Louis's idea (and handiwork) to expose Blair? Didn't he say something about how she wouldn't be able to lie in front of all those people and Chuck basically nodded?

Except in this case he's scheming against the supposed love of his life.

Given the fact that Blair is lying to the love of her life, abandoning him, and marrying someone else, I donít see the big deal in Chuck scheming ďagainstĒ her to find answers.

That, in a nutshell, is why I can't deal with Chuck as a character anymore. He shouldn't have to be told to stop sexually assaulting his ex-girlfriend. He shouldn't have to apologize for trading her for a hotel, treating her like property, and losing his temper. These are things that shouldn't have to be forgiven. It doesn't matter if Blair has the capacity to forgive him for his past sins; no girl should ever have to.

Any other time Chuck has come onto Blair, she has been ready and willing to sleep with him. I don't fault him to trying to sleep with someone who he's been sleeping with on and off for the entire series and stopping once he realized she didn't want to. Not to mention the fact that she pulls him into a room at a Bar Mitzvah to "have her way with him" two episodes later.

LadyGuGu

LadyGuGu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 4:37 AM

Can Chuck Bass get any awesome this season? I mean he was already awesome for me. But he truly became the man Blair knew he is and could and also he wanted to be. He is the reason for enjoying this season, IMO.

Snooker83

Snooker83

Couch Potato

• Interests:History, movies (anything but rom coms), politics (the dirtiest spectator sport known to man!), swimming.

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 6:31 AM

Shipping preferences aside I miss Chuck's wit from S1 and S2.

His asides and observations were always hilarious back then.

He has had a few this year but they are few and far in between.

Kinderwords

Kinderwords

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Can Chuck Bass get any awesome this season? I mean he was already awesome for me. But he truly became the man Blair knew he is and could and also he wanted to be. He is the reason for enjoying this season, IMO.

I think Chuck has had the best development as a character this season and it's why I'm frustrated all they have him do is be heartbroken.

Snooker83

Snooker83

Couch Potato

• Interests:History, movies (anything but rom coms), politics (the dirtiest spectator sport known to man!), swimming.

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 6:53 AM

I like the overall direction they are taking him.

But the execution was rushed to the point of being ridiculous at times: duck saving, the helping the old man cross. OTT.

More to the point EW is a good enough actor to play the change subtle, he doesn't need this kind of 'flair' in the writing.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 2:08 AM

I think it would be cool if they bring back Vanessa and have her and Chuck a couple. In reality, they are a couple.

Snapshots

Snapshots

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

I think it would be cool if they bring back Vanessa and have her and Chuck a couple. In reality, they are a couple.

Ugh, I hope not. I have nothing against Jessica but Vanessa needs to stay way, way away. Chuck/Vanessa were bad enough to sit through the first time around.

cathoderayS

cathoderayS

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

Agreed - that would be *horrendous* television. I would be all for a Chuck/Ivy pairing... Ivy is the most sparky character on this show IMO and I doubt that she'd take any of Bass' crap.

Limabean

Limabean

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I really like Chuck, but at this point, I’m very much over the idea of Chuck and Blair. They bring out the worst in each other and it’s not doing either one of their characters any favors.

I would be all for a Chuck/Ivy pairing... Ivy is the most sparky character on this show IMO and I doubt that she'd take any of Bass' crap.

I really like Ivy too. Both the writers and the actress have done a nice job with the role. With her con artist abilities Ivy is conniving enough to match wits with Chuck and keep him on his toes. Also, given her predilection for desk sex and her “you can call me Serena” line to Dan last season, she obviously has a kinky side that Chuck would appreciate way more than Dan ever could. I need a better idea of what kind of chemistry the actress has with Ed, but this is a Chuck pairing that I can see myself getting excited about.

Edited by Limabean, Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:17 AM.

LadyGuGu

LadyGuGu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

I am very interested in Chuck's upcoming family story of the season. He is the only amazing thing this season so I hope his family SL would be better than last season.
Spoiler

I enjoy Jack and Chuck scenes very much, always have. In last episode their scenes were so enjoyable. Jack is so hilarious and I loved how Chuck smiled after a long time. My heart melted. Awww. And in last season I really enjoyed Chuck/Jack/Nate trio, which I hope we see again.

Love me more Chuck ;)

Edited by LadyGuGu, Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:29 AM.

xCosmicLove

xCosmicLove

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

Looking back through the course of the show, Iím in awe of Chuckís character growth and all that he has overcome. We saw him begin to change the moment he fell in love with Blair, and he has just gotten exponentially more and more awesome despite all the tragedies he has faced. His character has been especially awesome to watch this season. I hope he will be given a genuine chance at happiness soon, rather than just having it dangled in front of him and then crashed into a concrete wall.

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

What annoyed me the most about the latest episode is how - when Blair FINALLY confronted Chuck about how he tried to sell her for a hotel - the show still went ahead and tried to frame him within a sympathetic light. It was as though Blair was in the wrong for finally telling him off whilst Saint Chuckles was only trying to do the right thing, boohoo, poor him.

You know, it's funny, I'm currently writing a paper on The Sopranos for a class I have at Uni. It struck me how, during the last season of that show, David Chase went all out and tried to impress on the audience who worshipped Tony to an alarming extent that this character was a real piece of shit, an utter sociopath. On Gossip Girl, I feel it's the opposite. I feel there is a large portion of the audience - and of the media as well - that recognises the character of Chuck as a complete sociopath and a terrible love interest and boyfriend for Blair but the show is being much too coy about facing up to this. I mean, this is a character that has tried to assault three female characters, tried to sell his girlfriend, and cut her face with a shard of glass from a window that he punched out of drunken rage. And yet, half a season later, we still have Blair making pacts with God in order to save his life. Thank God that's all over - but I brought up the David Chase thing because I constantly wonder whether the GG writers are trying to make the viewers realise how horrible he is, or they're trying to have his cake and eat it - by making Chuck do horrible things that keep him from being with Blair, yet at the same time refusing to acknowledge how depraved and terrible he actually is just to keep Chuck/Blair on the backburner. Me thinks their best bet is just to go all out and have him 'whacked', in the goriest, most satisfying way possible, and to give this sorry bastard the ending he truly deserves. Yay for Chuck/Death!

ribbons_undone

ribbons_undone

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

The last time I observed Chuck acting with possible sociopathic tendencies was in the pilot. A sociopath doesn't struggle against his darker inclinations, nor have the drive and desire to be a good person. Sociopaths donít love. Chuck, I think, may be the most loyal and forgiving character on the show. When he loves, he seems to love forever.

I find Chuck's character so fascinating. He's incredibly complex, calculating and intelligent. While he definitely has his Machiavellian dark side and Byronic hero tendancies, he's inherently a good person. Having a pretty rough go at life doesn't make one a villain. One last thing I find interesting is that in 5.09 he told Blair "Your love kept me alive." In contrast, I think it was Chuck's love for Blair that has kept him alive.

LadyGuGu

LadyGuGu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

The last time I observed Chuck acting with possible sociopathic tendencies was in the pilot. A sociopath doesn't struggle against his darker inclinations, nor have the drive and desire to be a good person. Sociopaths don’t love. Chuck, I think, may be the most loyal and forgiving character on the show. When he loves, he seems to love forever.

I find Chuck's character so fascinating. He's incredibly complex, calculating and intelligent. While he definitely has his Machiavellian dark side and Byronic hero tendancies, he's inherently a good person. Having a pretty rough go at life doesn't make one a villain. One last thing I find interesting is that in 5.09 he told Blair "Your love kept me alive." In contrast, I think it was Chuck's love for Blair that has kept him alive.

I so agree with you ribbons_undone. So very well put!

I enjoy Chuck's journey so much. He is one of those "all show worth" characters. He has a good and loving heart he didn't even knew he had in season 1 and watching him figuring out this was amazing. "Chuck Bass is a romantic, who knew?" "Now you do, thats only matters".

And now he is onto next step of finding happiness and peace in himself.I find fascinating to watch this character with all of his struggles, the way he deals with them, his desperation, his mistakes, his snark, his loyalty to his friends, him having a family he craved for so long, his intelligent, his intellectuality, his devotion and love for ONLY Blair. All of his selfless acts starting from Season 1! Sometime he leaves me without breath because he is so exiting (Probably and effect of Ed's amazing acting too ;))

Also very nice point about 5x9 parallel. I believe Blair's love also kept him alive, because he holds on to their love more then his love to Blair or her love to him.

Edited by LadyGuGu, Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:35 AM.

Sarabeth2

Sarabeth2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

I feel there is a large portion of the audience - and of the media as well - that recognises the character of Chuck as a complete sociopath and a terrible love interest and boyfriend for Blair but the show is being much too coy about facing up to this.

I agree and think that they are unsuccessfully walking a fine line trying to keep everyone happy.

Me thinks their best bet is just to go all out and have him 'whacked', in the goriest, most satisfying way possible, and to give this sorry bastard the ending he truly deserves. Yay for Chuck/Death!

One can only hope....Although this might only serve to cement his status as a martyr, which would be worse than what we have now.

iamnotjasmine

iamnotjasmine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:03 PM

I enjoy Chuck's journey so much. He is one of those "all show worth" characters. He has a good and loving heart he didn't even knew he had in season 1 and watching him figuring out this was amazing. "Chuck Bass is a romantic, who knew?" "Now you do, thats only matters".

Chuck is definitely a softie underneath but he is also the ultimate badass. He’s still the boss of snark and verbal punches, he just does so with more polish than he used to. He’s more subtle about it but still hilarious and smooth as a mofo. One of the best scenes this entire season was him giving Father Cavalia the contaminated water and of course tricking Jack into confessing that he didn’t give Chuck the blood -- "the kid's real, he's just not sick." He still has the best one liners in my opinion-- "That hurt? Wish I could feel it.”

I think one thing I miss most about the good old days of GG is Eric and Chuck’s brotherly snark. I also currently miss him putting Dan in his place, but I'm sure I'll get to see that again soon. I loved how earlier this season, Louis kind of united them and while Chuck verbally b-slapped Dan on the daily, he also cared about him and was there for him when no one else was.

Edited by iamnotjasmine, Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:12 PM.

LadyGuGu

LadyGuGu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

Chuck is definitely a softie underneath but he is also the ultimate badass. He’s still the boss of snark and verbal punches, he just does so with more polish than he used to. He’s more subtle about it but still hilarious and smooth as a mofo. One of the best scenes this entire season was him giving Father Cavalia the contaminated water and of course tricking Jack into confessing that he didn’t give Chuck the blood -- "the kid's real, he's just not sick." He still has the best one liners in my opinion-- "That hurt? Wish I could feel it.”

I think one thing I miss most about the good old days of GG is Eric and Chuck’s brotherly snark. I also currently miss him putting Dan in his place, but I'm sure I'll get to see that again soon. I loved how earlier this season, Louis kind of united them and while Chuck verbally b-slapped Dan on the daily, he also cared about him and was there for him when no one else was.

I agree and I love his badass side (in fact I love every part of him ;)). And he always gets best lines. I mean in a dead serious scene he made me laugh out laud in 5x11 where Blair said "Did it ever occur to you that there was no accident?" and Chuck "Well it certainly felt like one when the car hit the wall!" Love him, love them, aww.

And you are absolutely right about Eric and Chuck. I loveeeed their sibling bonding. I loved Eric when he was mini Chuck. I wish they would have kept them interacting. I mean they could have made them dealing with their issues like brothers in late Season 4; but ofc it wouldn't help them throwing Chuck under the bus, it would have been good story telling in character. Chuck has been the only one and first person not to judge Eric and he hasn't done anything to him actually to deserve his attitude. But Eric went to hell in Season 4 (not to mention how they dismissed Eric and Chuck in Season 3), he became a totally different character where once upon a time he was the wisest one. I wish they would write about Chuck helping him because he would and he could! Chuck is the most helping guy in the whole show.

I liked Chuck and Dan scenes in the first half too. Those were so entertaining. "That is awesome, me, you, Keanu". LOL. And Chuck saying to him "Lets be clear. I told you to get some ass, not make one of yourself". LOLOL. And he has been there for Dan when nobody was there in the whole first half. It was two sided and it was a healthy friendship. Well at least Chuck continues to be awesome!

Edited by LadyGuGu, Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:42 PM.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

At the present time (just before 5.20) there are two major story lines going concerning mysterious family issues - the Rhodes inheritance, and the question of Chuck's parentage. I'm hoping these will turn out to be connected.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

Replying to this post in the thread for 5.20.

2. The "Diana is Chuck's mother" storyline. Really, writers? Are you serious? This is the fourth time you've retconned and rebooted Chuck's parentage. Remember, in the pilot, he had a mother who was alive (something that people who hate his character cheerfully ignore, while concentrating on the assaults on Serena and Jenny; it's clear the writers chose to go in a different direction with the character). Then in Season 2, the only positive father/son bonding moment we got between Bart and Chuck was when he talked about Chuck's DEAD mother and said that he didn't blame Chuck for the woman's death. Then in season 3, we get Elizabeth Fisher... and in season 5, Diana Payne. Chuck's SL is like an episode of the Maury Povich show. I can't even.

The writers certainly did reconsider the question of Chuck's parentage (and several other questions) between making the pilot and the actual show. In the pilot Chuck says his parents just bought the Palace Hotel, that is, they're not only both alive but still married; but already in 1.02, Bart is clearly not married, and hasn't been for some time.. But after that time I don't see that any answer has been given that we have to accept as true. In the second season, I think Chuck suspected, with good reason, that his father was, at best, telling him less than the whole truth. Chuck himself told Dan two contradictory stories about his mother. I think that the question of Chuck's mother has been an unanswered one from 1.02 on - and still is, because I don't by any means take Diana's story as gospel.

I also think the the writers deliberately set up a parallel between Chuck's issues with his mother and Serena's with her father.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

Holy heck! Chuck's revolving door of parents is getting ridiculous. I wish I could care. I like Chuck as a character (though I came to hate Chair over time) and want to care about his story lines, but the Mommy-go-round is tired and adding a daddy edition doesn't make it better.

For the love of God, resolve this already and give Chuck something else to do. Besides, he has a perfectly good parent in Lily. Let him be involved in the Van der Woodsen stuff. That's his family too.

Edited for typos.

Edited by RachelKM, Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:50 PM.

xCosmicLove

xCosmicLove

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

I love Chuck, and I agree that the musical family members has got to stop. Chuck is one of my favorite characters, so I enjoy that he's getting a dominant storyline now, but I wish they could come up with something fresh. Also, I hate that every time he thinks he's in a good place, someone comes along and tears his heart out and makes him question his entire childhood. It's unsettling that they keep doing this to him. I can only hope that this will be the last time and that an answer will be solidified so Chuck can focus on building a relationship with whomever his parents are, rather than spending his time trying to figure out WHO they are.

Like RachelKM said, the VDW are his family too, so Iím not sure why he isnít even slightly included in their family storyline right now. I also couldnít agree more that Lily is all the parent he needs. What I would really like for Chuck is to see him building his OWN family.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

[T]he VDW are his family too, so Iím not sure why he isnít even slightly included in their family storyline right now.

Which just make me mourn the loss of the epic smack down Chuck would have delivered Carol. Not that Lily didn't do a fine job of it herself, but I would have loved for Chuck to get a crack at her too. God I hate that Chuck hasn't been in this story.

Noname42

Noname42

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

Like RachelKM said, the VDW are his family too, so Iím not sure why he isnít even slightly included in their family storyline right now.

I think it's just another symptom of the show's overall need to segregate each of the main characters (which really has rubbed me the wrong way since season 1-2 now). While this whole VdW SL should have really given them the opportunity to put Serena, Dan and Chuck in a SL together, they once again decided against integrating the cast and kept them in their own SL's (Serena with the VdW, Dan with writing/Blair, Chuck with his family issues/Blair earlier).

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 5:07 AM

Which just make me mourn the loss of the epic smack down Chuck would have delivered Carol.

Why would Chuck want to smack Carol down? But I wouldn't worry. I expect Chuck will indeed be involved in the vdWs' story.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

Why would Chuck want to smack Carol down? But I wouldn't worry. I expect Chuck will indeed be involved in the vdWs' story.

I was just thinking that if Chuck had been more [read: at all] involved in this Ivy fraud story, he would have schemed to properly punish Carol for F'ing with Lily and his family. Chuck has many faults, but he will own your soul when he's done with you if you hurt the people he actually cares about. Or maybe that is just the Chuck in my head.

In any case, I hope you are right that he will be brought into the story. It is too weird that he's been absent from it in the first place. Has he even had a scene with Lily, or Serena for that matter, since the Royal Wedding?

catmax99

catmax99

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

He had that brief scene with Serena when leaving the penthouse after trying to talk to Blair about finding Elizabeth. She then sent the post about him being there. It would have been a nice change for him to confide in Serena to get some advice, but unfortunately they didn't go there.

catmax99

catmax99

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

I hope it's ok to post even though I had the last post.

Chuck took care of business and Ed brought his A game. You could feel how hurt he was over Bart suddenly being back and then trying to leave just as quickly as he got there. But, Chuck's growth was highlighted again when he took action rather than jumping head first into a downward spiral. He calmly asked Blair for help and confided in her, didn't get upset when she left to temporarily placate Dan

I brought this over from the episode thread because I thought it was so true. I can't believe how grown up Chuck has been acting in the past couple of episodes. Considering all the parent stuff, he is dealing with the situation really well, and not drinking or trying to have sex to get over the things that are happening. I remember them saying at the beginning of the season that this year would be about growing up, and I think Chuck really has. Not that he is perfect, but he is acting much more like an adult.

I also liked that he wants Blair's help, but he can also deal with his issues without her if need be. And he hasn't given her any shit about Dan, which is pretty incredible for him. I am also glad that he realized that there are other friends to help him, which is great. He could have gone crazy on Nate and Lola for blowing it with Diana, but he was pretty calm about it.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

I just thought of a connection. What Bart did is essentially what Chuck was about to do at the beginning of Season 4. He didn't fake his death but he was going to disappear until Blair persuaded him not to (if I remember rightly, it was Serena who persuaded Blair). Like father, like son?

LadyGuGu

LadyGuGu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2012 @ 7:35 AM

I just thought of a connection. What Bart did is essentially what Chuck was about to do at the beginning of Season 4. He didn't fake his death but he was going to disappear until Blair persuaded him not to (if I remember rightly, it was Serena who persuaded Blair). Like father, like son?

Yes, you are so right. LOL. As it appears Bart is still a coward. But the difference is Chuck is becoming/has already become a better man than his father ever was. Bart's marriage to Lily was a chance for him but he blew it (lets be honest Lily never loved him as much as she loved Rufus and I think she still does but she didn't do anything to jeopardize her marriage, imo. It was on Bart to be act family like a business deal however his intentions were good). And IDK if you have noticed the similarities between Blair and Evelyn(Elizabeth), LOL. Maybe he doesn't want Blair because of that too. LOL. Now I would love a redemption arc for Bart too, in his second (or third) chance with Lily.

Chuck was a coward. Now he is brave. He is more selfless than ever. He was self-destructive but he matured. Now he finds solutions instead of boozing and womanizing and having temporary pleasure. And what he said to his father was so true that Bart didn't raise him. Thats why its even more harsh to see Bart not caring about what he was doing whole this time to protect the BI and then to save him. For me that rooftop scene was great but also so hard to take.

I remember 4x17 when Chuck said to Serena "All I wanted him to let me in. He lied to me until the day he died". I am so looking forward to some answers and Chuck&Bart dynamic (one of my favorites on GG) frankly as well as other family dynamics (such as Chuck&Lily) and I hope we get more. Hope Blair give a smack down to Bart too BTW. Like she did to Evelyn. LOL.