Because He's Chuck Bass

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

898 replies to this topic

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 7:06 PM

Rapey!

sapphireprima

sapphireprima

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 2:57 PM

hmmm, Atleast he still has his scarf. I can't remember but isn't he a red head? Or am I thinking of Daria?

Edited by sapphireprima, Sep 15, 2007 @ 2:57 PM.

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 4:16 PM

I know! I always thought of him exactly that way when I was reading the books. Good ol' Upchuck.

tennyoaisu

tennyoaisu

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 6:47 PM

I just want to know if Sweetie the Monkey will make an appearance.

sapphireprima

sapphireprima

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 3:42 PM

I feel that they're trying to villainize Chuck. All the lines he delivered in the show seemed to be more of someone like a villian where in the novel he was just an ass that no one liked that much.

CelticGoddess

CelticGoddess

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 4:46 PM

Also I said it before but the resemblance to Brandon Davis (also tolerated due to family billions) is uncanny. I hereby dub him Greasy Cub!

BostonTeaParty

BostonTeaParty

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 7:51 PM

I couldn't place who he reminded me of until about 40 minutes in. He looks exactly like Naima from ANTM. Once I made the connection, I could not take his mustache twirling villany seriously. Oh no! The shemale's going to get me!!

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2007 @ 5:48 PM

You know what, I hope they don't try to redeem Chuck at all during the run of the show. Shows like these need a villain and he could function as a good bad guy. As much as I loved her, I was always a little disappointed that they kind of defanged Julie on The OC without ever bringing on a suitable bitch replacement.

Feity

Feity

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2007 @ 11:57 AM

he reminded me a LOT of Beaver from Veronica Mars. Especially the hair and the... evilness.

Freckles101

Freckles101

Fanatic

• Interests:Television, especially Lost, Heroes, Gossip Girl, Veronica Mars, American Idol, Buffy, HIMYM, Pushing Daisies, Alias, Ugly Betty, Bones, and So You Think You Can Dance. Also, reading, listening to music, and baking.

Posted Sep 22, 2007 @ 6:15 PM

I just want to know if Sweetie the Monkey will make an appearance.

Heh, me too. Chuck is pretty creepy so far, more than he really is in the books, and I don't think the actor who plays him is that good-looking, but he has a really nice voice.

calalily

calalily

Couch Potato

• Interests:my dog, trail mix, choir

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 1:15 PM

This dude is SERIOUSLY channeling James Spader a la "Pretty in Pink." It makes me laugh, because it's so blatant to me. It totally works, though. I'm interested in this character, wondering if he can be redeemed at all. I have to remember that I hated Logan Echolls in the first episode of Veronica Mars, too...

putigger

putigger

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 2:03 PM

This dude is SERIOUSLY channeling James Spader a la "Pretty in Pink."

Seriously, except it's almost to the point of caricature. I felt like Spader's character had the potential for growth at the end, since he seemed to comprehend that his friend could actually like a poor girl. Chuck, however, on the first show tries to force himself on two girls in two days and one as blackmail or something. He's going to be pure villain. It might be a bit much even for this set.

cordygirl

cordygirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 7:36 PM

Despite that, my prediction is that if/when Chuck gets his obligatory sympathetic-making backstory (I've never read the books), he will be woobified quicker than you can say "Logan Spike Echolls."

This was from the episode thread, but I decided to bring it here because the conversation here seems to be veering in that direction...and although it made me laugh out loud, I’ve got to say, I have to disagree. Logan may have been an ass, but twice over potential rapist? Not even close. Plus, Jason Dohring is hot… this guy, not so much. As far as Spike goes, he did have the whole rape thing happen, but he also felt so guilty about it he went in search of a soul for crissakes. This guy? Twice in one week, and when he got rightfully decked he voices his want for revenge? I don’t care if his dad does hit him, I don’t think there’s a redemption arc possible to make him that beloved.

I thought it would have been a much better direction for Chuck if: A) He had voluntarily left Serena alone after she resisted in the kitchen, all the better if he had a stupid remark like “your loss”, and B) if Jenny would have gotten the hell out of there when she had the opportunity (don't drink the drink offered from the scary guy, newbie!). Those plot issues aside, I think Chuck, as a character, is going to be fantastic. Not as good as James Spader (channeling, yes, but he doesn’t have enough hair to flick back, and he’s little too energetic - or is it intense? - to really portray the fantastically lackisdasical “I don’t give a shit” attitude that was Blaine), but he could get there if he tried. I can think of no better high school villain to pattern himself after.

Jubi

Jubi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 3:12 AM

I've got to say that I'm hoping they don't try to tame/redeem/woobify this character. I was actually shocked at how truly, truly creepy they made him, but almost shocked in a good way. Plus I know teens shouldn't be looking to television shows for role models and true-to-life themes, but I still think it sends a really bad message if they "redeem" the horrid date rapist character. That's way too idealistic, and I think teens (and people in general) are just bombarded with these redemption stories, particularly on television, and it does get absorbed even when you don't mean for it to. But the sad truth is, some people are just fucking assholes. I think I'd like for Chuck to remain a fucking asshole, but television characters do have to grow and change, and redemption is the easiest way to do that. Unless they have him go even darker and actually commit some heinous crime, but this is the CW, so I doubt that.

Also, according to the CW cast bio, the actor is a Brit? I really didn't notice an accent. I mean, I did think he had a strange way of speaking, but it came off like a snooty affectation that totally fit the character. Never occurred to me that he was a Brit. I'm kind of impressed.

Edited by Jubi, Sep 27, 2007 @ 3:13 AM.

Suburban Knight

Suburban Knight

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 6:53 AM

I really hope he isn't 'redeemed'. I think more shows need characters that aren't ashamed to be assholes.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

• Interests:TV: Breaking Bad ...

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 12:06 PM

This actor is awesome. The voice!, the eyes, the every acting choice, it all oozes sexy, swarmy entitlement. Love it.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 2:03 PM

I still think it sends a really bad message if they "redeem" the horrid date rapist character.

I completely agree. There's practically nothing they could do to redeem Chuck or make him a sympathetic character in my eyes, so I hope they don't even try. Right now, he's working well as the one-note slimy evil guy. And the actor seems to relish playing him that way.

JessicaFletcher

JessicaFletcher

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 5:41 PM

After the episode in NY, they had a report on the guys from GG and there was an interview with the actor (who is british, totall fooled me but now I really think he watch Cruel Intentions over and over again) but he said that they do reem the character but they don't mention anything else.

hellosunshine24

hellosunshine24

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 10:02 PM

Where did you find this article, Jessica?

JessicaFletcher

JessicaFletcher

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 9:32 AM

It was on the CW news after the show in New York. It was a quick on the red carpet type of interview.

hollywoodx

hollywoodx

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 1, 2007 @ 7:46 PM

MMmmm....Chuck. LOVE Chuck.

He's wonderfully bad. And oh so good at being bad. My favorite character.

I will not be happy if they redeem him by much. Evil is good.

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 2:48 PM

Hypersexual!Chuck is starting to get on my nerves. I liked him when he was being evil and searching out information about Serena.

mels2

mels2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 1:16 PM

I'm such a Chuck fan that I want to make a "Total Bass-hole" shirt. Keep him evil- he's amazing.

hollywoodx

hollywoodx

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 6:23 PM

I'm such a Chuck fan that I want to make a "Total Bass-hole" shirt. Keep him evil- he's amazing.

Ha!! I would *so* buy one of those! I'm a huge fan of Chuck. Not tiring at all of his hypersexuality...I want more, more, more. And keep him evil, for sure.

fireboy

fireboy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 8, 2007 @ 1:07 AM

Seriously am I the only one who gets the Gay vibe from Chuck, when Nate woke up in his room for a split second I seriously thought that they had sex the night before, then I realized Nate was on the couch and my dreams were crushed. I swear he has to be at least bi, I mean COME ON.

ChrisWyle

ChrisWyle

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2007 @ 6:01 AM

Heh. Apparently being Chuck Bass is reason enough to be made usher.

hollywoodx

hollywoodx

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 8, 2007 @ 8:41 AM

Seriously am I the only one who gets the Gay vibe from Chuck, when Nate woke up in his room for a split second I seriously thought that they had sex the night before, then I realized Nate was on the couch and my dreams were crushed. I swear he has to be at least bi, I mean COME ON.

You're definitely not the only one! But perhaps the two of us are the only two? Hmmmm....I'd be happy either way, personally. Although I prefer a bi Chuck to a gay Chuck at this point. He's provided me with too much "viewing joy" with his female conquests to completely leave that side.

Edited by TWoP Bayliss, Oct 8, 2007 @ 9:12 AM.

BelleImani

BelleImani

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 10, 2007 @ 9:33 AM

I definitely get the Bi vibe from Chuck. He's like the evil version of Captain Jack: he'll nail anything that moves, he's charming and he's got a sharp mind.
And I definetly get a weird Chuck/Dan vibe. I find it fascinating that Dan is the only person on the entire show who can truly get a rise of Chuck. Chuck's reactions to Dan are just extreme in a way they aren't with anyone else.
Re-watched The Wild Brunch and Chuck literally eye-stalks Dan all through the ep until he can finally get all up in his personal zone, and he's so damn gleeful about Dan pushing him it's insane.
It should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

gabrieller92

gabrieller92

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2007 @ 5:51 PM

Okay, show. If you don't want me to see the Chuck/Nate or Chuck/Dan possibilities, stop showing it to me! Don't be a tease.

As for Chuck last night, dude might be screwed up, but he's a damn good friend. (Which kind of makes me a bit sad, 'cause I was holding off for a Blair/Chuck... thing. Eh, guess her losing her v card to him in a case of twisted irony or karma are shot. Oh, well.) And I could understand all of where he was coming from, despite how obnoxious it sounded, and he had a good point about Nate and his future.

I also like that, like Blair, he's more focused and he seems to know what he wants in life. Or, at least, what he definately doesn't want. Also? I love how one kid on TV finally realizes how damn lucky they are to be born with the opportunities they have. Do they have a whole lot of crap on their shoulders? Yeah. But they're still damn lucky.

Edited by gabrieller92, Oct 11, 2007 @ 5:55 PM.

fireboy

fireboy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 11, 2007 @ 8:00 PM

And I definitely get a weird Chuck/Dan vibe

I do as well, Chuck totally has a boy-crush on Dan. Although Chuck is very good friends with Nate and his sticking up for him last night was cute, Nate is definitely straight. Dan on the other hand may be easily persuaded by Chuck's charm, or at least I can hope.

Edited by fireboy, Oct 11, 2007 @ 8:01 PM.