Blair Waldorf: 95 Pounds of Girly Evil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

682 replies to this topic

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

What I liked about Blair during the W arc was that Blair showed personal ambition; she showed initative and determination in getting the internship and she was good at it. She clearly enjoyed working there. Yes, sadly the powerful woman arc was, in the end, slightly too linked to trying to impress Chuck because of his relationship with Raina but the W internship was good for Blair.Ironically, it was the man she wasn't trying to impress that fell for her just being herself during that arc.

She does need to ask herself what she wants to do and what will make her happy (independent of any relationship). Clearly Dan will support and encourage her, as she encourages him with his writing, but she needs to decide for herself what she wants to do.

I really liked how Dan described her as fiercely strong, independent, outspoken, beautiful, capable of anything and that he told her that no man or no magazine should be able to take that away from her. Since the wedding I have seen much more of the independent, outspoken, strong Blair compared to the first half of season 5. I think her determination to try to sort out her own mess after the wedding was a very positive development but I would love to see her make some decisions in terms of a career or her education.

Limabean

Limabean

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 1:35 PM

Since Blair is trying to find herself again, I want to hear her mention re-enrolling at Columbia. This is the girl who was obsessed with Yale, and out of all the characters, sheís the one I really want back in college. Also, fashion editor is a perfect career choice and I want her to pursue it because thatís what SHE wants and not because she feels the need to prove herself worthy of Chuck or because she doesnít want to be in Danís shadow.

It really bugs me that despite their personal drama all 3 of the guys are shown to be doing so well in their careers while equally (or moreso) smart and ambitious Blair is one hot mess. Serena has always been portrayed as free spirit who doesn't know what she wants so it makes sense that she's floundering some. The guys have faced professional obstacles, but theyíve handled them and we have Chuck running a billion dollar company, Nate as editor-in-chief of a newspaper and Dan is a published author with an agent and considered a hot new talent in the literary world.

Itís all unrealistic, but the show goes with it while showing Blair completely imploding as an associate editor at W after a very short time on the job. Yes, itís ridiculous that she got promoted into that position after being a lowly intern for a few weeks and yes, itís a very high pressure job that a 20 year old magazine novice shouldnít be able to hack; but why be realistic with Blair while showing the guys succeeding in their mostly ridiculous situations. It sends the message that Blair can't handle a normal regular job (even if in reality no one in her situation could've), while the boys are able to juggle the pressure of high ranking roles (that in reality they're 5-10 years too young for) with their family issues and romantic troubles.

Rant over!

iamnotjasmine

iamnotjasmine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

Taking this from the Spotted: Promos, Sneak Peeks & Promo Pictures Discussion thread:

Blair has been divorced about two mins!!

If she proposes to Chuck or indeed to anybody else than really I can't see anyway back for the character. Why talk about her finding herself again if she's going to turn around and do something as daft as that?

To the contrary, I think Blair proposing to Chuck could be seen as her finally taking control of her life and making a decision that someone else didn't make for her. There is a lot of evidence to show that Blair is in denial of or afraid of her feelings for Chuck, because of the notion that loving so deeply makes one weak. If she were to come to terms with the fact that loving someone deeply will always be risky, it would show a great growth in her character. Also, they arenít kids anymore. Chuck has grown into the kind of man who could sustain a long term, healthy relationship, and I think Blair will realize this.

I know this is GG but even so,it is hard to see how she would credibly return to Chuck in only two episodes time. Now perhaps what happens over the next two episodes materially changes things, perhaps Blair addresses those issues in some way.

IMO, Chuck and Blair getting back together so soon isn't surprising. Blair has been in love with Chuck for 90% of the series and I don't think dating Dan for five episodes cancels that out.

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

My issue is not Blair proposing to Chuck. It's with Blair proposing to anyone. She's just got divorced a few weeks ago; it is far too soon for her to be getting married again;she's only twenty.

She needs to concentrate on her career, her personal ambitions be that Uni or a job. Something that is about Blair and Blair's life goals independent of any man or any relationship.

And I am not saying that Blair doesn't love Chuck; but clearly she has issues that she needs to work through. She clearly upset about being traded for a hotel; she was upset that Chuck paid her dowry after she asked him not too. Chuck doesn't appear to understand that. She feels that she has lost part of her sense of self in her relationships with Chuck and Louis. I don't think that can be addressed in two episodes;that's all.

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

I canít see this Blair proposes to Chuck speculation, after what she just said in 521, it will be the ultimate regression for her imo. In the last year, she has had a whirlwind romance with Louis, she has been assaulted, engaged, pregnant with paternity issues, car accident and miscarriage, wedding, divorce and dowry issues and now she is going to pop the question to Chuck. Chuck, who she hasnít been even in a relationship with, who she made it pretty clear in 521 to me that she felt like his trophy wife and that the IP is a permanent scar. She said in 517, she wasnít in love with him. I forgot the part where she is in a relationship with Dan and before that heavily dependent on him for emotional support. Sheíll out of the blue breakup with Dan and be in a place to propose in the space of three episodes.

I really liked how Dan described her as fiercely strong, independent, outspoken, beautiful, capable of anything and that he told her that no man or no magazine should be able to take that away from her

One of highpoints of the whole series for me, just telling her she's beautiful, when the show has always made Serena out to be the more attractive one of the pair, which always left me dumbfounded tbh, he tells her twice in one ep. When DB were still a pipe dream I felt that would be an issue for Blair, guys always preferring Serena and with it being Dan too but the show hasn't gone that route, too character driven I guess. The 'no man' is the most important part for me, because that's exactly what happened to her. Dan is distancing himself again from those men with that part.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

I guess the finale title "Return of the Ring" got everyone speculating what that would mean. Perhaps someone's speculation about Dan proposing to Blair because he feels that he's loosing Blair to Chuck because of the time they're spending together in the next couple of episodes and Dan is jealous and worry about it. Dan will say "I love you" but Blair does not return those words back. Dan feels hurt and decided to go to Rome.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

dreamdair

I can’t see this Blair proposes to Chuck speculation, after what she just said in 521, it will be the ultimate regression for her imo.

I've found this baffling too. I agree with No Second Troy that it makes no sense for Blair to be proposing to anyone. She just figured out that she needs to find herself, throwing herself into marriage with anyone would be the antithesis of this. It would just be more of the same OTT drama she's been making for herself over the last several years that got her to where she is, which is lost. She needs to get her feet beneath her as an individual (and maybe be old enough to legally drink the champagne) before she considers marriage.

I would be so pissed at the writers for going to all the trouble to have Blair acknowledge she needs to figure out who she is and find her own ambition again only to have her return to crazy with Chuck. I can't stand Chair, but I have no illusions that there is no chance of their returning, but this would just be shitty writing irrespective of my personal preference.

In fact, as much as I like Dair, if she proposed to Dan I'd have the same reaction of "WTF is she thinking?" That isn't finding herself, unless the writers are trying to convince me that Homemaker Blair is her true self and ambition, which NO.

Edited by RachelKM, Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:13 PM.

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:04 AM

I've found this baffling too. I agree with No Second Troy that it makes no sense for Blair to be proposing to anyone. She just figured out that she needs to find herself, throwing herself into marriage with anyone would be the antithesis of this. It would just be more of the same OTT drama she's been making for herself over the last several years that got her to where she is, which is lost. She needs to get her feet beneath her as an individual (and maybe be old enough to legally drink the champagne) before she considers marriage.

LOL!Yes RachelKM, she should defintely be old enough to legally drink the champagne!!!

I would be so pissed at the writers for going to all the trouble to have Blair acknowledge she needs to figure out who she is and find her own ambition again only to have her return to crazy with Chuck. I can't stand Chair, but I have no illusions that there is no chance of their returning, but this would just be shitty writing irrespective of my personal preference.

I agree. I don't understand why Chuck and Blair would work this time around; they've never worked before and Chuck hasn't taken any reponsibilty for either the hotel incident or breaking that glass over Blair. It's an abusive and toxic relationship. If the writers want them to reunite then they really need to have the characters address what's happened. Blair appears to be trying to address it, or at least the effects of what's happened. This has been clear over the past few episodes but I am still waiting to see Chuck address it and take responsibilty for what he has done.

In fact, as much as I like Dair, if she proposed to Dan I'd have the same reaction of "WTF is she thinking?" That isn't finding herself, unless the writers are trying to convince me that Homemaker Blair is her true self and ambition, which NO.

I really do like Dan and Blair together but I would hate for her to propose to him; or for Dan to propose to her. It would be ridiculous. I would much prefer to see Blair have a storyline in season 6 that involved her showing some personal ambition.

Edited by No Second Troy, Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:05 AM.

iamnotjasmine

iamnotjasmine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Sheíll out of the blue breakup with Dan and be in a place to propose in the space of three episodes.

Yes, this is more or less exactly what I think will happen. Even if Blair doesn't propose, I see her possibly using the ring as a symbol of commitment to Chuck or a promise that the next time he asks her (later down the road), she'll say yes.

That isn't finding herself, unless the writers are trying to convince me that Homemaker Blair is her true self and ambition, which NO.

IMO, becoming a wife doesn't automatically turn someone into Susie Homemaker. When men get married, they don't automatically become Househusbands (unless we're talking about Rufus). I don't see the problem with being engaged or married and actively pursuing a career at the same time.

I agree. I don't understand why Chuck and Blair would work this time around; they've never worked before and Chuck hasn't taken any reponsibilty for either the hotel incident or breaking that glass over Blair.

Chuck apologized for both of those things in 5.6.

I definitely would love to see Blair express ambition and rekindle her desire to be a powerful woman. I personally think she can accomplish this while being in whatever relationship she chooses.

I also don't think it's far-fetched that Blair could return to Chuck in the Season Five finale as Blair has chosen Chuck every season finale thus far, and while Blair may be dating Dan right now, I think 5 years > 5 episodes.

ribbons_undone

ribbons_undone

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

She’ll out of the blue breakup with Dan and be in a place to propose in the space of three episodes.

This is precisely what I see happening, to be honest. Blair did the same thing with Nate in Season Two, and seems even less invested in Dan.

IMO, becoming a wife doesn't automatically turn someone into Susie Homemaker. When men get married, they don't automatically become Househusbands (unless we're talking about Rufus). I don't see the problem with being engaged or married and actively pursuing a career at the same time.

I agree with you that being engaged/married and being successful are not mutually exclusive. That kind of thinking seems very antiquated. Chuck has always supported Blair's ambitions, and she his. They have always been a great team.

Edited by ribbons_undone, Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:22 PM.

Snapshots

Snapshots

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

I would be so pissed at the writers for going to all the trouble to have Blair acknowledge she needs to figure out who she is and find her own ambition again only to have her return to crazy with Chuck.

I had a terrible feeling while watching the final DB scene of 5x21 that they were going to do this with Blair. Have her finally acknowledge that she's lost herself as a result of her relationships with Chuck and Louis, have her start to rediscover herself with Dan's support, only for them then to have her reunite with Chuck. Then I realized though that even the writers of GG would work out that this was ridiculous. They wouldn't openly admit that her relationship with Chuck and the IP was one of the contributing factors to her losing herself and then make them endgame surely. What sort of message would that be sending?

Yes, this is more or less exactly what I think will happen. Even if Blair doesn't propose, I see her possibly using the ring as a symbol of commitment to Chuck or a promise that the next time he asks her (later down the road), she'll say yes. 

I will be shocked if there's a proposal at all, and even more so Blair's the one doing the proposing when a) she just got divorced, b) she's currently in a relationship with another man, and c) it seems from 5x21 that they're going to try and have Blair rediscover herself as a person, and having her propose to one of the people she admitted contributed to losing herself to begin with would completely contradict that.

I will be very surprized if that ring is used for anything more than friendly closure between CB. I think it's fitting that the episode will be titled "the return of the ring" because the thing is cursed. It needs to be destroyed.

Of course women can still be successful themselves and be engaged/married, but that wasn't the point. Blair vowed in 5x21 to rediscover herself, that means putting her personal ambitions first for once instead of her romantic ones. Plus, proposing to one of the men she admitted put her in the position she's in now just 3 episodes later makes not an ounce of sense to me.

There's also the fact that her first divorce was only finalized 2 episodes ago. I don't even want her proposing to Dan (the dude she's in a relationship with) let alone Chuck.

Edited by Snapshots, Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:05 PM.

Skittles00

Skittles00

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

I will be very surprized if that ring is used for anything more than friendly closure between CB. I think it's fitting that the episode will be titled "the return of the ring" because the thing is cursed. It needs to be destroyed.

Interesting theory. You mean like the closure they got in Paris in 4.2? Or the closure they got in 4.22 when Chuck let her go? Or will it be more like the closure they got when she found out she was pregnant with Louis's baby in 5.3? How about the closure from Chuck's apology in 5.6? Or just the closure from Chuck returning the ring to the Harry Winston steps?

iamnotjasmine

iamnotjasmine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:41 PM

I will be shocked if there's a proposal at all, and even more so Blair's the one doing the proposing when a) she just got divorced, b) she's currently in a relationship with another man, and c) it seems from 5x21 that they're going to try and have Blair rediscover herself as a person, and having her propose to one of the people she admitted contributed to losing herself to begin with would completely contradict that.

I see things differently because a) they never had a marriage. They had a wedding. Not the same thing. b) Blair has oft dumped guys in a heartbeat for Chuck in the past. See Nair in Season Two. c) Rediscovering herself will likely involve rediscovering her love for Chuck. Also, I don't think Blair's comment about losing herself was about blaming or villanizing Chuck, rather than knowing that SHE WENT UP THERE ON HER OWN, and being afraid that she loved Chuck so much that she was willing to do that. I think she's mad at herself for making that decision.

[snip]

Edited by TWoP Mars, May 1, 2012 @ 11:02 PM.
Manners

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

Let's stick to discussion of Blair here, please. And don't be rude or snarky toward other posters for disagreeing with you. Save your snark for the show and characters. Directing it toward other posters is not allowed.

xCosmicLove

xCosmicLove

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

Words cannot express how happy it made me to see Blair get her groove back last episode. It's been a long time since we've seen Blair in her full scheming, pwning, sharp-tongued, confident, awesome glory. It was also nice to see her actively caring about someone for the first time in awhile. I really hate the current state of her friendship with Serena though, and I would appreciate even just a sign that Blair still loves her. I think we'll see Blair become more and more like her old self from now on. So happy about the return of Queen B.

QueenoftheDucks

QueenoftheDucks

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:40 AM

I agree with you that being engaged/married and being successful are not mutually exclusive. That kind of thinking seems very antiquated. Chuck has always supported Blair's ambitions, and she his. They have always been a great team.

Yes, it is true that the two are not mutually exclusive. However, a lot of the problems that Blair faced, in particular in her relationship with Chuck, is that she felt she had to choose. And in a way, there is a causal link as her relationship breakdowns have been about her losing her identity outside of being in a relationship.

Last episode is the first time I have enjoyed Blair for a long time. Part of her appeal has always been her craziness and eccentricities, so I loved that she had her own decoder. Her warmth has been the best part of her character, and it was great to see her looking out for her friends. However, given that she is usually the one who is most sensitive to other people's feelings, I felt it odd that she wasn't picking up on either Serena's or Dan's cues.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Yes, it is true that the two are not mutually exclusive. However, a lot of the problems that Blair faced, in particular in her relationship with Chuck, is that she felt she had to choose. And in a way, there is a causal link as her relationship breakdowns have been about her losing her identity outside of being in a relationship.

I was being somewhat facetious with my "homemaker" comment, but this is essentially what I was getting at. There is nothing to say Blair can only have career ambitions or that wanting to marry Chuck, Dan, or anyone else would be incompatible with those ambitions. But rather, if the show is telling me that she wants to find herself as a individual, then that is what she should be focusing on rather than marriage which is the coming together of individuals as a legal and emotional unit. She has to be an individual before she can join another individual as a partner. Especially when, as noted by QueenoftheDuck, she's identified that focusing on her relationships to the exclusion of her individual identity as one of the causes of her problems.

So for me, it seems that it would be a waste of that whole speech at the end of Despicable B to spend one or two episodes with Blair trying to regain herself only to throw herself immediately into an engagement. How is that not just more of the same? Her feelings for Chuck and for Dan, and for all of her friends for that matter, are a part of who she is, but they are not all of who she is and she needs to figure out the rest of her.

I don't want to watch girlfriend/wife Blair which is who she seemed to become after mid season 2. And this is not an anti-Chair rant. I have not liked Chair since sometime in season 3 after having loved them right up through the season 2 finally. Blair became all about Chuck after awhile, and then later all about being a princess, and all of the other things she seemed so interested in started disappearing.

I labor under no delusion that Chair is not still a possibility, but if that happens I want Blair to come to that relationship as an equal with her own interests and with confidence. Likewise, if she stays with Dan, I want to see her with her own life. And nothing I've seen from Chuck or Dan's interactions with Blair suggest that they would not want that too. To the extent that Blair lost herself it was her own doing, but that means she has to get herself out of it too. And falling back into patters of being all about her relationships is not the way to go about that.

Edited by RachelKM, May 4, 2012 @ 1:34 PM.

catmax99

catmax99

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

I don't see how Blair at this point in her life is ready to make a final choice about who she wants to be with for the rest of her life. Granted, things could happen that might make it more obvious, but I don't see how with either choice it will be convincing right now. She is really just getting her relationship with Dan underway. And if she gets back with Chuck it will just look like more of the same flakiness of her going from man to man to man.

The last time we saw the ring was when Chuck left it on the steps of the store, right? I remember in their therapy session that it was clearly very upsetting to Blair that he did that. But of course that was many, many moons ago. I can't even guess how Blair would feel about that ring now, and it seems really strange for it to turn up again. It seems it already served as closure, so I don't think Blair really needs more closure. Blair has been so confusing this year I don't even know where to start.

ridethemaverick

ridethemaverick

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

Breaking up with Dan through email? Stay klassy, Blair.

Could she have been any more pathetic tonight?

funnybottoms

funnybottoms

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

I agree. While I think taking over Eleanor's company is good development (I'd prefer to actually see her working her way up through a fashion magazine and not gaining through nepotism, but that was always a long shot on this show) for her, I was really disgusted to see her go back to Chuck. While I like her with Dan, I don't need her to be with him for me to consider the character moving forward, but I do think that she can't move forward with Chuck. Speaking of, he behaved like the consummate child he is tonight, further underscoring why I think she is pathetic and regressing by going back to him. Ugh, Blair, I had such high hopes for you.

paupers

paupers

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

I was watching clips of Blair from season 1 and 2 on Youtube and what really stood out was how assured and confident the characterisation of Blair was. It seemed like the writer's had clear idea about where the character was going and likewise Leighton seemed to have a full understanding. Blair said this season that she "lost her true self" and thinking about it, after season 2 I think the writers basically lost how to write this character (or even the rest of them but I think especially Blair). Firstly the NYU storyline was a bit of a mess, although on the surface the concept of throwing Blair into this very unfamiliar territory, did hold some promise. But suddenly Blair was out of the Constance/UES bubble and the immaturity of her behaviour really stood out.

The writing was a little dull too but I think the fundamental problem really was - and still is - that the writers are afraid to take Blair to far away from the girl in season 1/2 and so they don't know how to write a Blair who is a mature adult. They develop her and then they don't know what to do next and just regress her back. It's a shame the writers' can't take that leap of faith with her character and begin to move her way from Chuck, away from some of her high school characteristics. Some things I would like to see is for her to actually lose the minions because it's just a really cheap way for the writers' to present Blair's bitchiness. We saw it with her interaction with Dan that she doesn't have to be a bitch to be snarky. I hope the Dan/Blair friendship can still be salvaged because the Brooklyn/UES dynamic adds a lot to Blair's character imo since it flattens out her prejudices and as a result makes her more rounded. The writers might be able to clean up some of the mess they've created but it still disappoints me how the writers have wasted this character.

Edited by paupers, Jun 9, 2012 @ 9:10 AM.

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

Good analysis bm232. Dan was easy. He threw away the years of ill treatment from Blair and happily become her purse holder. A normal person would appreciate the gesture. Blair is anything but

Did you forget that the first time Blair lost her v-plates to Chuck "Knight in Shining Armour" Bass she was also drunk (and vulnerable)? She had just broken up with Nate, performed her little dance while filled with bubbly champagne.

I didn't bring it up as it didn't pertain to this episode or Chair for that matter

But about Blair getting drunk the first time. I think you answered your own question. She had just broken up with the guy she thought was the love of her life and she needed a little encouragement to do through with the dance

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

Blair is a puppet though, no point even trying. Worthless. Her sole exixtense is be successful so Chuck can fuck her when his father has been vanquished.