Serena van der Woodsen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

269 replies to this topic

DevilRedeemed

DevilRedeemed

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 19, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

Yes, but when Blair opening tells Serena in 4x20 that she hadn't been happy for a very long time and that she was sick of Chuck pulling her into darkness, to me, Serena would have taken that as a major sign that Chuck didn't make Blair happy. Whether what Blair told Serena was true or not I don't think really matters, but when your friend tells you that a guy was making her miserable instead of happy you don't continue to try and push them together. I don't think it's really relevant whether Serena likes Chuck or not, but when Blair said that she wasn't happy with him Serena should have stopped pushing Blair in Chuck's direction straight away. That's why I think it was completely OOC for Serena. She's not a bad friend (intentionally) to Blair at all, however IMO the writers are making her look like one in order to push Chair.

I fully believe that Blair wasn't happy with Chuck at the end of S4, but I think Serena's comment in 5.08 was more about acknowledging that Chuck is different from his actions in 4.20 and looking at Blair's relationship with Chuck as a whole. I think Serena realized that Blair was unhappy with Louis after sending out the Gossip Girl e-mails and probably perceived Blair's apprehension to marry him. IMO, it's not like Serena is shoving Chuck down Blair's throat. She's simply saying, "Wow, he's changed and could be everything you want in a man now." And Blair basically reiterated this herself in 5.10 with, "You're all I ever wanted." Also, in 5.10, we see Serena helping Louis find Blair, so it's not like she's doing whatever she can to reunite Chuck and Blair (unlike Dan). I think what changed between 5.08 and 5.10 was Serena's realization of her feelings for Dan.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

I think it makes sense that Serena's feelings for Dan should reappear just when he is falling in love with Blair. Dan's feelings for Blair bring out what Serena sees as his best features, which led her to love him in the first place. Blair of all people should understand this; she went through essentially the same thing with Nate.

seethesun

seethesun

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

Serena van der Woodsen, I will never call you selfless or thoughtless again. You saw that your ex-best friend wanted to be with the guy you thought was the love of your life, and you didn't throw a tantrum. You didn't throw the many men Blair has been messing around with in her face or call her all sorts of misogynistic terms. You didn't even tell her you couldn't be her friend anymore. Instead, you swallowed your pride and let her know that you would love her no matter how much she hurt you, because you understand that she's been through so much this year and that she needs whatever safety net Dan provides, even if it means that she'll continue disregarding your feelings like she has been doing all year.

I know it feels like you don't matter to anyone, like Blair and Dan have chosen each other over you, and like your own grandmother didn't want you to be present in her last months of life - but just know that you matter to me. You have grown so much from the girl who ran away from Manhattan for 6 months over a drunken one-night stand and a fake-murder-sex-tape. You've become a driven woman with ambitions, who stands up for what she believes in and lets the people she loves go when they need her to. And one day, you are going to find someone who loves everything about you, all the sunlight and warmth and strength inside of you, and isn't just using you to achieve some other ends.

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

Thank you for that post seethesun. Serena is easily my favorite character now. Well she was all through Season 1 and 2 too, but they did some character assassination the past 2 years to prep up Blair. But now the girl is back and I love her more. I admire that at the end of the day she looks out for her family and friends and doesn't care that she gets hurt in the process. Sure she does get righteous at times, but who doesn't make mistakes? She usually admits to what she does wrong, and tries to better herself. I hope that when the show ends she doesn't end up with Dan OR Nate but someone better than them and who loves her more. I just wish we get a more important arc to her than the background character she's playing this season.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

Does anyone think if Dan and Serena would be a couple again would be too weird considering Rufus and Lily are married? I was watching S1 and just enjoyed D&S storylines but now, I'm invested in D&B considering having D&S would be too weird for me.

mjgchick

mjgchick

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

I don't think I've ever felt aweful for anyone on this show as much as I did seeing her laying on her bed. Aimlessly not doing anything and looking sad. The show pounded allot on her. Lose the guy she loves to her bestfriend and her favorite grandmother not to mention her newly sister is giving her the hand? Damn. I don't know where they are going with Serena with this whole GG stuff but I have to admit I'm intrigued. I don't need to see Serena try to move on with some other guy but I miss her smile. She just looks warned out.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Blake Lively look so amazing in the Green Lantern. Hope she finds happiness with Ryan Reynolds. If Rufus and Lily wasn't married, I wouldn't mind Dan and Serena live happily ever after.

catmax99

catmax99

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

If Rufus and Lily wasn't married, I wouldn't mind Dan and Serena live happily ever after.

Will this current kafuffle between Rufus and Lily lead to a divorce, thereby removing this obstacle? Not sure if people who are bothered by it will stop being bothered by it if Lily and Rufus do split, but it's something to think about. Though I sort of don't see Serena getting back with Dan now that he has been with Blair. I think it would be too weird for her to be with Dan at that point.

mjgchick

mjgchick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

Plus she's also lost her freaking mind. I know Serena can be self absorbed but its like her and Blair switched places. Her going after Lola, sending out blasts and having a tempertantrum is just not her. I had a feeling this whole DAIR crap is getting to her but she needs to get a grip it she'll be back in the nut house. A boy is so not worth it. I do hope it has more to do with losing her grandma, Dan and having to share her dad with another girl all around the same time is why she's voodoo for voodoo puffs right now. Next thing you know she'll be talking to herself since everyone will be hating her if she keeps at it.

That being said I've been entertained during this last episode than I've had since S1 by this character... and I've been drinking.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:24 AM

Plus she's also lost her freaking mind. I know Serena can be self absorbed but its like her and Blair switched places. Her going after Lola, sending out blasts and having a tempertantrum is just not her. I had a feeling this whole DAIR crap is getting to her but she needs to get a grip it she'll be back in the nut house.

For reals. Serena was all over the place in this last episode. If she stays this way, maybe the subtitle of this thread should be "She puts the 'It' is Batshit."

If they do explain Serena's unbalanced behavior as having to do with Dair, I hope it turns out it has more to do with feeling like losing her connection to of the two people she has relied on most for support than straight jealousy. I could see how Dair being together would make her feel left adrift. But I don't want it to be that she's just pissed that she isn't the center of Dan or Blair's world.

Edited by RachelKM, Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:25 AM.

Fluttering

Fluttering

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

I don't see Serena as mad because she's not the center of Blair or Dan's world. I see her as a person who is getting completely trampled on by the two people she thought she could count on and loves the most. Aside from Chuck this year I find Serena to be the most sympathetic character. Frankly, Dan and Blair don't deserve Serena as a friend at all, especially Blair. I know if my supposed "best friend" did what Blair did to Serena,I'd cut her off permanently. You don't treat a friend, let alone your best friend like Blair has treated Serena.IMO, it's pretty gross

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:24 AM

I don't see her that way either, yet. As I said I think it's totally understandable that, romantically jealous or not, Serena would feel effectively cut off from both Dan and Blair emotionally due to Dair and they each in their own way have been her support system since she returned to the UES in the pilot. So why wouldn't she be reeling? Add to that that she just got fired by Nate (another friend that she can't really go to now) and her parents are self involved when they aren't embroiled in inheritance nonsense. So I think it would be interesting if that was the story they told.

I really hope it isn't as shallow as simple jealousy over the romantic relationship.

I don't agree, however, that Blair has treated Serena particularly badly nor Dan. Dan didn't want to be with Serena irrespective of whether Blair returned his feelings. It's not like Serena didn't have a chance with him. And Blair would have stayed away if Serena hadn't given her blessing. So unless you feel Blair should never be with him ever and/or should assume Serena's blessing is insincere, she didn't do anything wrong. That doesn't mean Serena can't still feel conflicted or even completely thrown by it.

mjgchick

mjgchick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Yeah I don't think Blair has been terrible to Serena at all. You can't help who you fall for and Serena shouldn't be telling Blair she's OK and happy for them if she's only secretly plotting to kill them.

I do think Dan has been cold towards her a little bit. But I still don't want it to be some type of jealousy. Its like Serena would be regressing back in high-school but as Blair Waldorf.

I'm assuming the writers decided to not be predictable in having Chuck plot revenge but went for Serena instead. I got to hand it to them on letting Serena be the one to lose her shit. Hopefully this is a rock bottom thing where we gradually see Serena be redeemed I guess.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

Wow, seriously Serena has been pretty cordigal about Dair as GG she could have completely destroyed them socially with the dirt she knows. She's taken her shots at them, but that was her most serious boyfriend, and their time together did really mean something to her which is why she was so hurt that Dan wrote her as the slutty,flightly, ditz that had to be saved by him, far more than being a little cold, while he pined after Blair. When the situation was reserved, Blair went after Serena mercessily and she wasn't in love with Nate. She feels rightfully hurt by them and she is trying to get over it. She has no one and is understandly lashing out, Blair has done worse in this situation.

mjgchick

mjgchick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

I think Serena is projecting her hurt towards Lola is my point. She's lashing out at the wrong person. Its still a High-school BW would do. The difference is I feel the writers are afraid to have Serena go after FAIR because they want to string the DS/SB fans along still. So instead of going after them they let her go after some nobody that most of the audience probably doesn't care for.

Or maybe they are waiting for the season finale to let her freak fly.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

I also think... YMMV of course... that she fears the loss of Dan because it represents the loss of that period of time when everything came easily to her. She used to let Blair get away with absolute murder towards her (like at the Yale party, etc.) because she was so secure, and Blair was so insecure (as someone already said earlier). Now she is incredibly insecure, so she's scheming.

Did everything come easily to Serena? She made it look that way, but I think that's an illusion, and I think Dan knew it.

EBStarr

EBStarr

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

Did everything come easily to Serena? She made it look that way, but I think that's an illusion, and I think Dan knew it.

Oh! Hmm. I think a lot of things didn't come easily to her, now that you point that out, I spoke a little too broadly. Like her family life, and finding true love, none of that came easily, and that was stuff that Dan understood. But I do think that social status and power, and being the girl that everyone pays attention to -- that came easily to her at a time when Blair really wanted it and worked for it. There were times when Serena sort of reasserted herself, but even that seemed to me like an assured victory. Now she seems like she's really threatened by Lola, and it seems different to me because she doesn't seem sure she can win.

mjgchick

mjgchick

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

Wow was that last scene offensive. Serena's like Fuck my Life mode right now. This could be interesting if the wroters are up to it. They tend to quickly dismiss Serena's storylines but I'm hoping they can make this last 11 episodes interesting. Blake sure can play a coke whore and it's been a while since I've seen fake coke on The CW. I also thought Serena and Blairs fight would be huge but the show just glossed it over for CB stuff. The part where Serena kept telling Dan she loved him made me cringe and felt awful for her. It still amazes me that the writers allowed Serena to be single for a whole season. I'm hoping for the best for her. I lovethe both B/S but while others were falling in love with Blair I just gravitated more towards to Serena. Her issues with her dad and trying to change did me in.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

Tonight's episode sucks but I think that Blake Lively is a good actress and will be successful than her peers. At least she has a new hot movie coming out called "Savages". I think she's been in better movies than Leighton.

Anyways, in the end, Dan will find Serena and will find happiness in the end.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

The part where Serena kept telling Dan she loved him made me cringe and felt awful for her. It still amazes me that the writers allowed Serena to be single for a whole season.

I won't take issue with the Dan part but I think allowing Serena to be single this entire season was one of the best things they could have done. The biggest problem Serena has had throughout the season is the interchanging of men in her life. It was becoming a joke that her character was hooking up with every single guest star. The problem with the Dan part is all on the writers. They invested so much into Dair that they had Dan worshipping Blair and completely disregarding Serena. And I don't know why since they ultimately decided to trash Dair off screen. They should have made Dan more confused in who he wanted. Then the Serena telling Dan she loved him wouldn't have felt so weird.

KissedByARose

KissedByARose

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

I can kind of see why Serena would return to self distructive ways after everything she's been through. Honestly, girl has shitty parents. (You would think having a 14 year old party girl would be a good enough reason to get your daughter a therapist.)

But she pretty much sobered up and tried to get her life together on her own...and ended up with nothing essentially. And because she still hasn't learned how to cope with bad shit happening in her life - she turns to what she knows. Running away and partying.

If this was a different show, this could've been really interesting for Serena but...

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

I do feel bad for Serena. Throughout the series, the best thing for Serena is Dan. Although I loved the DAIR storyline, I do hope she will find happiness with Dan. Watching S1, Serena was a much better person whenever she's with Dan. Since the finale was more of a devolution, it would be better for Dan to help Serena but also Serena needs to be strong and get out of this downward spiral.

merrick715

merrick715

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

prettytragicthingswrote this awesome Serena post finale piece that I agree with wholeheartedly. She managed to eloquently sum up my thoughts on Serena's downfall this season.

Serenaís overlying arc this season has been a downward spiral. Losing her job, finding a new job, losing a new job, losing a cousin (betrayal by Ivy), losing CeCe, Losing Eric (implied), Losing Blair (multiple waysÖto Louis, to a baby, to an accident, and ultimately to Dan). Losing Dan (to the one person she trusted more than anyone). Losing William to Lola. The power of Gossip Girl being thrust on her shoulders, and then losing that. Being exposed and embarrassed. Losing the one stable relationship her mother had ever really had in Rufus. And finally, really and truly losing Blair and Dan and her home.

It was bound to happen. Sheís Serena. She was going to lose it, to crash and burn. Fight or Flight, thatís what it always comes down to with her, and she has always chosen flight. Did that change? For a while, but you can only get beaten down so many times before you forget what you were fighting for exactly right? And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it all made sense. I didnít hate it, I kind of loved it.

This is what the story has always been about. Are Blair and Serena going to stand or are they going to fall? Is Serena going to overcome who she thinks she is, who the world thinks she is? Is she going to fight through to the other side or is she going to lay down and let her world trample her in the process because she isnít Serena van der Woodsen, sheís only the image of Serena van der Woodsen that her world has created.

It was bound to come to a head. Sheís been moving in that direction all season.

And the best part isÖyou can see the moment when she finally really breaks. When she just says ďFuck itÖĒ. The moment when everything changes, and she just lets go.

I tried to change. I did all of this for you people. Because I love you. I came back for Eric, and now Eric left. I tried to be everything for my dad, tried everything I could think of just to get him to notice me, and my dad chose the girl he just realized was his daughter over me. My mother still cares more about her various husbands/money/empires than she ever has about where I am or what Iím doing. I loved you Blair, from the beginning, Iíve been trying to make this right and you took Dan and kicked me out of my home after everything weíve been through. I have tried for five years to prove to you that Iíve changed Dan, and to tell you that I love you when I was scared to even utter the words, and you still see the worst in me. I have no family, no job, no identity, no love, no friends. Everything Iíve done, every person Iíve loved, all for nothing. All gone. All I have is myselfÖand I donít like myself that much. In fact, I donít like myself at all. And this time, itís the end. I have nobody to love, and nobody to try for, not even me. I should never have come back here. I should never have let myself feel.

Itís the old standby. The only Serena that makes sense. The only thing thatís never disappointed her because there is nothing to disappoint. This is who I am. Itís who everyone expects me to be. They donít care, why should I? Theyíre better off without me.

And thatís what itís always been with her, and maybe this needs to happen because maybe she and Blair were never fixed. Maybe she was never fixed. And at the end of the day, this story has always been Serena and Blairís story. Itís always been about them at itís heart. Love, hate, redemption, forgiveness, betrayal, friendship, family. All of it surrounding them. And thatís how it needs to end.

And as much as I hated it, I love it at the same time. Because, GOODNESS, do I love angst. I love redemption, and Serenaís story has always been about redemption. Sheís back where she started, and they have 11 episodes to save her. And this time, there wonít be any going back. So, all of my fingers are crossed that they make the most of what little time there is left to tell the rest of her story, all of these stories, and tell them right. It could be epic. It could be perfect.

After all, every story deserves the proper ending. Every character deserves to find redemption. And redemption, is Serenaís story.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

A fascinating and perceptive post, merrick715.

I should never have come back here.

Consider this from the Season 6 preview.

Serena has gone off the grid, beyond even the reach of Gossip Girl. Her friends fear for the worst and hope for the best, but even they canít imagine where they will ultimately find her.

Perhaps the place where her friends should look for her is the town she came back from five years ago.

mjgchick

mjgchick

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

Wow, that person pretty much describes what I feel.about this character. Just a fascinating take on the Serena character.

LadyGuGu

LadyGuGu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

Yeah I really loved the essay on Serena. Thank you for sharing. In the finale I really liked how things turned around but of course I truely felt so sorry and sad for Serena. Rememebring the beginning of the season and the ending and seeing her finally losing herself like that was an interesting but more than that very saddening twist IMO.

Her story is more than a redemption IMO. Also the writer seems to forget about Chuck and Nate in that story. Especially considering how Chuck's and Serena's arcs are always resembling each other so very much. The one person who would truly understand Serena is Chuck more than anyone I think. And Nate and Serena scenes were amazing this season. Even tho they were not together as friends Nate showed so much concern for her and I loved it.

Serena has been amazing this season. Especially amazing to Blair and Dan. And she got nothing. Both didn't care a bit. Thats why the ending twist her going back to her old ways was so sad. :(

SamWalker

SamWalker

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 6:38 AM

I like Blake for the Serena character. I think she's perfect for it, her portrayal is very great. Although I haven't seen so much GG now, I'd still die to know what's happening on the show. I didn't know Serena is "back in her old ways", but that's really sad. I was genuinely hoping good things would come her way because she earns it. I would definitely buy a DVD to see what's been happening. What I have discovered now is just so sad.

kfried

kfried

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 7:01 AM

So is Serena now destined to be a professional trophy wife like Lilly? Seems like a waste--why can't the show give her some small sense of purpose rather than constantly defining her in regards to whatever guy she's dating this week?

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

Maybe - hopefully - Serena also has a hidden agenda.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

I've been challenged to suggest a secret for Serena; so I'll throw this out.

I've commented before on the problems with Chuck and Serena's passports. Let me just focus on Serena's. Assuming (unlikely) that this isn't sloppy writing, but an actual plot point, I suggest that there is some secret or scandal about Serena's birth, which led her family to pretend that her birth date was about a year later than the real date, even getting a passport for her with the false date. I don't want to commit myself as to what the scandal is; there are too many possibilities. Anyway, Lily, Cece, and William vdW must have been involved. However, after Serena and Lily talked with the Fairmans (in 1.17), Lily told Serena "There's no way a sixteen year old girl could have [stopped Pete from using cocaine]"; that is, she forgot and named Serena's real age at that time. Serena had too much else on her mind to follow up the point, but she surely asked Lily about it later, and Lily must have told her something, but probably not the whole truth. Later (4.11) when Serena was in the Ostroff Center she must have told the therapist her right age at the time of the Ben Donovan incident, because she was really scared, and because the therapist wouldn't be able to publicize it. But in 6.04, she didn't tell Steven the truth about this, or other things; to him she said she was fifteen at that time.