1-8: "Shrink Wrap" 2006.11.19 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

36 replies to this topic

American Snob

American Snob

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 6:03 PM

Adapted from tv.com

Dexter suspects rich women's shrink of murder. When he visits the shrink, he is surprised by a dark secret from his past.

Good episode. Loved that Tony Goldwyn played the shrink and that he is also a regular director on the show. His acting is just as sharp as when he played the heartless best friend in Ghost. Plus this is the episode where Rudy was revealed as ITK. Pretty good in my book.

silverangelaunt

silverangelaunt

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 12:41 PM

Loved this episode! I like that we continue the trend of Dexter seeking relationship advice from his victims. So nice that Dexter uses his work as a means for personal growth! Plus the sex scene with Dex and Rita was hot!

Silver Angel's Mom

Silver Angel's Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 1:29 PM

I can't wait for this one to be recapped...

BTW, Hi, Amy!

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 12:28 PM

I love the beautiful use of irony in this series - Dexter getting the psychiatric help he so badly needs but not for the right reason.

I was wondering how long they could drag out the sex weirdness thing - if it had gone on too much longer, it would have felt strained. Nice to see Dex (not to mention poor Rita!) gettin' some, but I sure hope it doesn't make Dex too normal...that's the dilemma, to keep the story from getting stale, Dex needs to evolve as a character but his character arc is dragging him towards boring normalcy, and who wants that?

I haven't seen anything beyond this episode, so this is pure speculation, but after this episode am 100% convinced Harry murdered Dex's parents - Harry was probably a cop making a bust who just got angry - which would make hardly the first time that's ever happened - that's where Harry's lecture about "not losing control" came from.

It also explains Harry's obsession with trying to "fix" Dexter (in atonement for his own crime) and also why Dexter, who subconsciously remembers what Harry did, and always wanted revenge against Harry has sublimated his rage into killing stand-ins for Harry, since he could never bring himself to kill the man who, after all, loved and protected him.

And it explains Dexter's dream in which HE was the victim and Deb was a serial killer threatening him. Deb is a stand-in for Harry, who Dex can't allow himself to see in her place, because then he'd figure it all out.

It also fits neatly into this shows' taste for parallelism and irony. One day, Dexter will dredge up the memories of what really happened and will realize his savior was a killer. And one day, that little Cuban boy from the junkyard will realize that he didn't see Jesus (the savior) after all, and Dexter is a killer. My hunch is that this will all happen in the final episode of the whole series, which I hope is about ten years from now because I'm sure enjoying it all now!) :D

Edited by Temis the Vorta, Sep 16, 2007 @ 12:28 PM.

CerebralFitness

CerebralFitness

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 9:45 PM

OK, now I get it, Deb looked smokin' tonight. I totally knew Cpt Hook was The One, they spent way too much relationshipy time on him and Deb and this isn't that kind of show.

Edited by CerebralFitness, Sep 17, 2007 @ 10:56 PM.

Hyzenthlay

Hyzenthlay

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 11:17 AM

I was wondering how long they could drag out the sex weirdness thing - if it had gone on too much longer, it would have felt strained. Nice to see Dex (not to mention poor Rita!) gettin' some, but I sure hope it doesn't make Dex too normal...that's the dilemma, to keep the story from getting stale, Dex needs to evolve as a character but his character arc is dragging him towards boring normalcy, and who wants that?

But didn't he say an ep or two ago that he is (to paraphrase) his own, new type of monster? So maybe for him 'normalcy' won't be boring - at least I hope not.

I like the direction that the writers are taking the character of Dexter - speaking more to "trauma made him what he is" than the "I've never had feelings" theory.

The flash that he had under the relaxation technique, hints that there may be some trauma from which point Dex closed up or shut down.

Really looking forward to seeing the remaining eps. Watching via the Direct TV 101 free view - but we keep losing signal due to changes Direct TV are making (we assume this is the problem) for HD. I've missed the ep that follows this one - but expect the DVDs any day now so I can catch up (and also see the eps in a non-chopped up and "mother-loving" language altered format.

GraydonCarter

GraydonCarter

Fanatic

• Interests:The West Wing<br />[Adult Swim]<br />hiking

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 4:43 PM

Direct TV 101 free view [...] "mother-loving" language altered format

And I wonder how much of the sex scenes they cut from this episode?

dusky

dusky

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 6:10 PM

(and also see the eps in a non-chopped up and "mother-loving" language altered format.

This is a show I can't imagine censored, all the language and violence and sex is necessary to tell the story they are telling. This isn't a show where they insert some boobs in a totally irrelevant scene for the pay cable audience then cut it out for syndication without it impacting the story.

Shrink Wrap is one of my favorite episodes, this one really brings the funny (the scene with the shrink's patient and almost all of Dex's VOs) and yet we start to get the glimpses of the horror that was the shipping container.

rowanceleste

rowanceleste

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 8:42 PM

I think my favorite part was where Dexter couldn't kill the doctor yet, because he needed another session first. Hee.

CerebralFitness

CerebralFitness

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 11:47 AM

The DirecTV version (which is how I watch it) isn't too bad. I mean, obviously the "forget yous" from badass Doakes are funny, but what can you do?

What did I miss in the sex scenes? Did we get a little bit of Rita or a little bit of Deb? Or both? Oh great, now I sound like a 14 year old in imdb. Damn!

miniglik

miniglik

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 12:36 PM

I can't remember as far as Rita, but I think there's at least a quick Dexter side ass shot.

Not that I.. um... was looking.

Now I feel like 14 year old on imdb.

Edited by miniglik, Sep 20, 2007 @ 12:47 PM.

Polter-Cow

Polter-Cow

Stalker

• Interests:I like movies, music, books, comics...damn, I'm really boring. Until you get to know me, after which I'm slightly less boring.

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 1:11 PM

There was a little bit of Deb, but I don't think you could see much of Rita; you could see more the first time she tried to have sex with Dexter.

Not that I...was looking.

xtreme

xtreme

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 2:02 PM

I think my favorite part was where Dexter couldn't kill the doctor yet, because he needed another session first. Hee.

It was the way he delivered the line though. Another golden scene.

Hyzenthlay

Hyzenthlay

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 21, 2007 @ 11:38 AM

This is a show I can't imagine censored, all the language and violence and sex is necessary to tell the story they are telling. This isn't a show where they insert some boobs in a totally irrelevant scene for the pay cable audience then cut it out for syndication without it impacting the story.

Dusky, I had (and still have) the same feelings about the HBO shows that have aired on A&E and Bravo, and wondered how those altered eps would alter or influence how new viewers follow or understand the story.

Thank goodness for the TWOP recaps, from which I've been able to piece together some of what I've missed due to edits. In some cases what may have seemed minor to the 'editor' had serious ramifications on the plot - since like many great stories, "Dexter" uses subtilty in dialogue and direction to introduce elements that while they may have seemed minor at the time of introduction - lead to a major plot payoff. Some of those are sadly lacking in the edits...a few of which are glaring in how the scene is cut...line a reference or reaction to a line that was cut.

The DirecTV version (which is how I watch it) isn't too bad. I mean, obviously the "forget yous" from badass Doakes are funny, but what can you do?

What did I miss in the sex scenes? Did we get a little bit of Rita or a little bit of Deb? Or both? Oh great, now I sound like a 14 year old in imdb. Damn!

The sex scene with Rita and Dex, which is a major plot/character moment/turning point (or at least has the potential to be such) was greatly shortened - nothing near what has been described in this thread. Very much looking forward to seeing it uncut (for the emotional empact of the scene...really guys...that's the main reason...honest...)

Polter-Cow

Polter-Cow

Stalker

• Interests:I like movies, music, books, comics...damn, I'm really boring. Until you get to know me, after which I'm slightly less boring.

Posted Sep 21, 2007 @ 1:09 PM

(for the emotional empact of the scene...really guys...that's the main reason...honest...)

Hee! There is emotional impact! For instance, I found it interesting that in the sex scene with Deb and Rudy, only Deb makes any noise. But when Dexter and Rita have sex for the first time, they're both moaning. In fact, Dexter is a little bit more prominent; it's almost as if it's involuntary, like he's never actually enjoyed sex before.

quackerz

quackerz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2008 @ 10:21 PM

Hee! There is emotional impact! For instance, I found it interesting that in the sex scene with Deb and Rudy, only Deb makes any noise. But when Dexter and Rita have sex for the first time, they're both moaning. In fact, Dexter is a little bit more prominent; it's almost as if it's involuntary, like he's never actually enjoyed sex before.

Wha-haa??? I can't believe how much I'm missing by experiencing this show on CBS rather than on Showtime. It's official--I have to invest in the DVDs.

This was a fantastic episode. I love the scenes with the shrink. I could be killing him right now. And the sigh of relief after admitting to being a serial killer--GOLD!

LaGuerta wasn't too shabby tonight either. Shoving the severed head in Neil Perry's face was absolute genius! I bet if you slow that scene down a bit, you can actually see the moment where he shit himself.

Stormyweather

Stormyweather

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2008 @ 10:52 PM

Yeah, I was wondering how they were going to show this episode on CBS. They edited quite a bit of the sex scenes. And can't they find a better replacement for the word fuck than date? Instead of the bully asking Dexter if he's still fucking his sister it's replaced with are you still dating your sister. They'll couldn't use sleep? Cracks me up.

That was one of my favorite episodes too. One of the few times I liked LaGuerta. She actually did a good job.

Edited by Stormyweather, Apr 6, 2008 @ 10:54 PM.

MooshyMooshy

MooshyMooshy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2008 @ 11:09 PM

I'm loving Dexter even though I watch it on CBS and sometimes the "forget yous" are too ridiculous for words as are the reaction shots to statements that get cut. Like Paul saying "How am I supposed to act towards the guy who's 'dating' my wife" and Dexter's wary head tilt which would make a lot MORE sense if Paul had said "fucking" but anyway you get it.

Could it be that I might actually like LaGuerta? Yea she's gross with Dexter and took credit for someone else's work which launched her career which she's milked to the hilt. But she's pretty good too as she proved with weeny mckiller. I also LOVED how she set up Matthews/Astor at the end. The recapper seemed to have missed that point - I got the impression the recapper assumed she was falling in line like a kissass, but that look of dutiful malice in her eyes was just too good. They've made the captain a bit of an asshole in the last few episodes and I don't mind seeing him knocked down a peg or two.

I didn't even know it was supposed to be a mystery that Rudy was the ITK but his remote chemistry with Dex is so hot. I mean in a sick serial killer way that I don't approve of.

I really wasn't sure if Dex was going to go through with killing the shrink but he seemed to have picked a particular painful way for him to die. Cutting off the head (perfect) with some kind of serrated toothbrush thing. Yuk. I wonder if he picks his method of killing based on sins or not. I'll see I guess.

I know Paul can't die but I REALLY wish he'd go away. What a nightmare.

I HOPE those flashbacks aren't indicating Harry killed Dexter's parents! I love him! James Remar rocks that role.

laramie66

laramie66

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2008 @ 10:51 AM

James Remar rocks that role.

Because I'm twelve, I have to keep telling mr. laramie that it's Richard!

I was particularly revelling in Hall's facial movements, i.e., the way he lifts his hooded eyes to indicate a secret evil. What a wonderful actor he is.

MamaBird

MamaBird

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 7, 2008 @ 11:20 AM

Dexter was downright joyous when he told his secret to the shrink. He looked and sounded the way a woman who'd been trying and trying to get pregnant would when announcing, "I'm going to have a baby!" MCH is a delight to watch.

Aw, poor Deb! She's so happy with Rudy, and what a horrendous revelation is coming her way.

vampdeath

vampdeath

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2008 @ 11:28 AM

Did CBS cut why the therapist liked making powerful women kill themselves? He seemed like a pretty good therapist so its really weird why he was such a scumbag. I kept waiting for him to say something like "my mom divorced my dad because of her career and he killed himself".

Edited by vampdeath, Apr 7, 2008 @ 11:35 AM.

Holliday17

Holliday17

Posted Apr 8, 2008 @ 10:07 AM

I love this show even more with each episode (alas, I am watching the cut version on CTV, so someday I will definitely rent the Showtime DVD set). I laughed out loud when Dexter reached into his desk drawer, and it was revealed that he put the Barbie head on his keychain! Then he had to figure out what to occupy himself with, so he chowed down on a snackcake (did he say "Little Debbie"?) and got to work. I just found that hilarious! And, awwww, he misses his playmate!

And yes, that's a little scary that I'm "awww-ing" over a serial killer and his serial killer buddy. Oh man I will need so much therapy after this show is over.

I do feel for Deb, as others have pointed out. First, growing up with a serial killer in the house (do we yet know when Dexter started killing humans?), then dating one? I'm not really thrilled with "Deb" the character, though, so I feel for her, as far as that goes, but I find her character lacking. She hasn't been written well, IMO. I don't buy that she's a cop, that's for sure.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2008 @ 1:02 PM

In "Popping Cherry" he killed the nurse, his first human victim. I'm not sure what Dexter's age was at the time, but it was when Harry was still alive.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2008 @ 1:52 PM

alas, I am watching the cut version on CTV, so someday I will definitely rent the Showtime DVD set

I am happy, happy, happy because I just found out both Seasons 1 and 2 are on In Demand, in their entirety. I watched "Shrink Rap" Original Recipe the other day, after the CBS version, and didn't find it overly disturbing.

So my squeamish-ass self is going to watch Uncut Dexter, and can't wait.

As much as people object to CBS's sanitizing Dexter, I'm appreciative. I've wanted to watch it since it started, but the "buckets of blood" descriptions scared me away. I appreciate CBS giving viewers like me an opportunity to get acquainted.

Holliday17

Holliday17

Posted Apr 8, 2008 @ 4:45 PM

Thank you, Cress! Duh, now I remember that.

In this episode, I really liked the interaction between Michael C. Hall and Tony Goldwyn. I wish the Doc would have stuck around for a while.

laramie66

laramie66

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2008 @ 8:18 AM

She hasn't been written well, IMO. I don't buy that she's a cop, that's for sure.

Hoo boy, I'll say. The instant the ITK started fondling her, I was all over the television. What, no cautionary reaction? Cop second, dimbulb first? Where's your second gun, toots? Shouldn't you be wearing pants, with a second gun strapped to your ankle?

Heck, she almost deserves to be his umpteenth victim, she's so bloody stupid.

I take it CBS doesn't run episodes of past Dexters anymore than they run past episodes of Cold Case?

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2008 @ 2:40 PM

Where's your second gun, toots? Shouldn't you be wearing pants, with a second gun strapped to your ankle?

Although to be fair, most cops don't carry a second gun in real life, and many departments have banned ankle holsters.

laramie66

laramie66

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 6:28 AM

Thanks, Ailiana. But she still didn't even flinch when he made the move on her.

TheRandomOne

TheRandomOne

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 7:18 PM

ARGH! I knew it from the moment I saw Rudy he was the ITK. He just gives off this overall creepy vibe -shiver-
I love, love, loved this episode. Therapy scenes were brilliant... wish he kept the good doctor alive for just a little while longer!
Fave line: "I can't kill Meridian yet- I need another therapy session!"
I think it's honestly funny how stupid Deb is being.
Dexter needs to kill both Rudy and Paul NOW.

laramie66

laramie66

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 9:51 AM

I think it's honestly funny how stupid Deb is being.

She was so very annoying and needy in last night's episode that I wouldn't be totally upset if she were done away with.

Poor old lady, why did Rudy go to her house anyway? Wouldn't he just go to Dexter's father's house to kill him?

And where is Dexter's cynical radar? Rudy is a sidler and he isn't creeped out by that?

Dexter needs to kill both Rudy and Paul NOW.

Exactly. And before this season ends and CBS doesn't carry it anymore.

Ack.