Ratings & Scheduling: Dish Network

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1004 replies to this topic

Prinnie

Prinnie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

On the other hand, Dan and Blair together represent the first true threat to Chair as the endgame of this show. My experience is that Chair fans are unwilling to recognize the evidence of a growing Dair relationship over the past season-plus largely due to this threat.

I don't think Dan and Blair is a threat to Chair as endgame. At all. I fully expect a finale reunion. I am a Chair fan and I can only speak for myself when I say that Blair or Chuck not together and facing a third party is not my issue with the show. I disagree with your characterization of the post 4x17 kiss and how it effected Blair. From a ratings perspective I think the Dan/Blair friendship worked better because it was sort of a backburner to better stories. When Dan and Blair went front and center as an actual romance it seems to have failed to connect with people.

I agree that they will go forward and tell the story they want to tell and I feel like the finale will make it clear what that is. One thing that I think gets forgotten is that Chuck/Blair has been the single longest and most consistent Gossip Girl story. It would not be fandom pandering to go back to them it would IMO be logical storytelling. I often feel like what we are watching now is Dan Humphrey Fan Fiction. In all actuality I think its just that the writers wanted to move Dan more front and center and that had to mean that he became involved in the CB Story so they made some big changes to the show to make that happen.

I also think this argument is very subjective. What you say is great storytelling I may think is crap. Someone can say that you need Blair/Serena fighting because that is the relationship while I think its the intense love they have for each other. None of us are right or wrong because it is just our opinions. Gossip Girl is never going to win an Emmy. We all have our belief over what needs to be done to fix the show or if the show needs fixing.

From a ratings perspective I think right now they just have to get over a million viewers. Clearly they need to try to bring people back. Perhaps in season 6 we will see some milestone episodes to try to entice past viewers to return. Right now Gossip Girl is not a ratings darling or a critical darling. It basically just exists. Getting a half a season is already embarrassing for a show that was once the best on the network.

Fluttering

Fluttering

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

]I disagree. You have a show that supposedly makes money online and is past the syndication threshold. No chance you walk away from 11 episodes to make Blake Lively or any of the cast happy. I admit Blake is moving on up but the rest of the cast pretty much has no power. It feels like every episode Gossip Girl hits series lows and IMO that just can not be discounted. They will try to milk the cow one final time and get 13 episodes out of it but clearly if the ratings had been higher and if they had been able to build momentum from the 100th I think GG would have gotten a full 24 episodes like most people were expecting for a season 6. For some reason I did not realize their total viewers was so high for the 100th. Basically 400,000 plus have stopped watching. Those are powerful numbers and I am sure the CW is looking to see what went wrong. That being said I am pretty sure they just want GG and its legacy gone.

IMO, mid season 4 Gosspigirl ratings were actually starting to do better, in fact 4.04 and 4.11 had good ratings (I believe one had a high of 2.4) and things seemed to be starting to go on the upswing for the series, then we had the infusion of the Dair arc which got as low as 1.3 last year and since the DB arc has continued through this whole year ratings have hung around that until Dan and Blair actually hooked up and now they are below 1 million with Dair centric episodes. IMO, it seems the problem is Dan and Blair. Do other stories factor in? Of course they do but a common factor to the dismal ,under a million episodes are Dan and Blair's relationship. IMO, it's not so much that they are now a couple that really messed up the show it's that the show had to turn itself upside down and do these insane plots to make them "buyable".IMO, that failed since the audience is tuning out in the middle of these Dan and Blair episodes (from 134,000-400,000 viewers drop halfway through). I don't recall any Gossipgirl episodes dropping the audience that drastically half way through and ,IMO, that's a big indication this show is failing a lot with this Dan and Blair arc.

As far as Chuck and Blair being blamed for having the biggest drops. One was after they "broke up" and people thought they were done in and 600,000 didn't tune in the next week (2.16 I think), in season 3 I can't blame the ratings on Chuck and Blair when they were put in the background and ,IMO, Dan and NYU was but in the forefront and was later dropped because they were losing viewers . Perhaps it might be that Dan is the common factor in all this? I could be wrong but I just think this show needs to figure it out and get back on track because these ratings are embarrassing

slimekay

slimekay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:01 AM

I think most people who watch or are associated with Gossip Girl would agree that Blair and Serena's relationship is the foundation and most important aspect of the show.

Blair and Serena's relationship was the foundation of the show in the first 13 episodes of Season 1 - or the entirety of Season 1 at best. After Season 1, it became the Chuck and Blair show (ie. best storyline, most airtime, etc. - which was understandable as they were a huge draw back then; their whole marketing campaign was based around those two), up until mid-Season 4 I'd say when it became more of an 'ensemble' show.

For Blair and Serena to be the foundation of the show, you would have them constantly interacting, fighting, making up, scheming together, etc. - essentially interacting as they did in Season 1. The truth is, though, they have rarely interacted in such manner after Season 1. Besides, the writers have done a poor job of making us care about their friendship from Season 2 onwards so it's hard for me to root for them as friends or care about Serena being sad/mad at DB for instance.

A good example of a core relationship staying that way throughout a show's run is the Cohens+1 from the OC, or Chuck/Sarah from Chuck or Ephram/Andy from Everwood.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

I don't really understand ascribing ratings ups and downs to any couple or character. I slacked off watching in season 2 and barely caught an episode in season 3. I tuned a little after Townie because the idea of Blair and Dan was intriguing and now really want to see them continue it. But I cannot say why anyone else stay, left, or returned.

I know I personally loved Chair when they first got together, but go sick of them when they eat the show. That had more to do with the fact that the show became a little unbalanced, or began to feel unbalanced due to the promo and arc emphasis on Chair. Everyone else cycled through stories, but Chair kept going. Eventually, it also because too dysfunctional for me to enjoy even as a soap relationship.

But I cannot say that it was only Chair that drove me away... or maybe unmoored is a better word. The show got really unfocused and it seemed Chair was sometimes the only thing that seemed to have a specific trajectory (even if that trajectory got weird).

I won't begrudge you your opinions, but, IMO, you claiming that 'the show doesn't make sense right now' is more your problem than the show's. Since 4x17, when she had a 'life-changing kiss' that sent her to bed for a week changed her so much that she now needed to declare her love for Chuck - something she had done less than a month prior - Blair has been consistently characterized as someone who doesn't know who she is any more. So she immediately went back to Chuck - clinging to what she knows. When that didn't work, she immediately jumped on the chance to be a princess - something she knows. Almost all her actions since, as she got crazier and crazier, have been manifestations of Blair's single most defining personality characteristic since the pilot - her ability to live in a world of denial. And while living in this world of denial, she has consistently gone to Dan for support and advice. All this makes sense to me and most of it is the reason why there has been a large, vocal group of fans in support of Dair since mid-S4 (though admittedly not as large as the group of Chair fans).

I totally agree with this, most especially the description of Blair and her behavior. She's seemed more grounded, and yet still Blair, with Dan. It's what I like about Dair. Blair seems to be becoming an adult, an adult that still has the characteristics of the Blair at Constance Billard, but is finding out who she is without burying herself in fantasies.

Prinnie

Prinnie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

I slacked off watching in season 2 and barely caught an episode in season 3. I tuned a little after Townie because the idea of Blair and Dan was intriguing and now really want to see them continue it.

I really wish that there was a way to measure new fans coming on versus old fans leaving. I think its interesting the idea of this new Gossip Girl fan who returned for season 4 and only watches for Dan and Blair. Just looking at the numbers that means that even more of the fans who have been watching consistently since season 1 left. That could also be why there is that divide between people who think the the show is inconsistent and people who think the characters are all acting in character. If you have not watched in a couple seasons you probably would not see anything weird. Its the fans who have stuck with the show and who watched since the beggining who may be more in tune to how the characterizations have gone off the rails.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

hat could also be why there is that divide between people who think the the show is inconsistent and people who think the characters are all acting in character.

Perhaps. They way I see the characters presently is that they are consistent with the teens we met in season one to the extent that they seem to be logical progressions from those people. If they made a bit of a leap in seasons 4 and 5 to get there, does that mean it's is inconsistent? People do that. Especially when they were bad pattern, which is how I viewed Chair. It was great at first, but it got monotonous. And while Chuck made some emotional progress in a 1 step forward 2 steps back fashion, Blair didn't seem to progress at all. So it was a form of continuity in that it was continuous; but one person's continuity is another person's rut.

I'm all for continuity, but not continuous suckage. (My opinion) If something isn't working creatively for the writers, i.e. they've run out of steam on a particular thread, maybe change is a good idea.

It is possible that for those who left, like me, this is a righting of the ship that would be welcome, but that many of those prior viewers are permanently gone and fixing it now won't bring enough back. While for those who stayed, particularly those who stayed for Chair, this is an unwelcome change which may make them leave. In which case the change would be overall bad for the ratings since it speaks to an audience that isn't watching and not so much to th e one that is. We can't know.

It is also possible that those that stopped watching was the natural attrition that was occurring anyway regardless of Chair and Dair. And that, to the extent that Chair fans stopped watching, a roughly equivalent number are returning to see what we view as something interesting.

Honestly without a poll we'd never know.

Edited by RachelKM, Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:12 PM.

inanityrules

inanityrules

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

It is also possible that those that stopped watching was the natural attrition that was occurring anyway regardless of Chair and Dair. And that, to the extent that Chair fans stopped watching, a roughly equivalent number are returning to see what we view as something interesting.

I think so too. Nearly everyone I know that used to watch the show quit during season 2 or 3. I was one of the few that kept watching out of habit from the start, but I had gotten so tired of the same-old, same-old that I was close to quitting the show myself in season 4. The Townie was what changed my mind, because Dan/Blair was such a new, unexplored dynamic and such a breath of fresh air on an otherwise swiftly staling show. They're the only reason I'm still watching tbh, because I want to see their storyline through. The moment I get wind of them ending for good, I don't think the show could draw me back as a viewer anymore.

Edited by inanityrules, Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:02 PM.

Jessica02

Jessica02

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

I really wish that there was a way to measure new fans coming on versus old fans leaving. I think its interesting the idea of this new Gossip Girl fan who returned for season 4 and only watches for Dan and Blair. Just looking at the numbers that means that even more of the fans who have been watching consistently since season 1 left. That could also be why there is that divide between people who think the the show is inconsistent and people who think the characters are all acting in character. If you have not watched in a couple seasons you probably would not see anything weird. Its the fans who have stuck with the show and who watched since the beggining who may be more in tune to how the characterizations have gone off the rails.

I also wish there was a way to accurately measure fan reaction, but I feel that focusing on season 4 is missing the big picture. Falling ratings did not begin in season 4, it simply carried on the steady decline in ratings. I really think for a clear view of what has caused GG to lose viewership, one has to begin with season 2. The total viewership was higher then, but the loss was the biggest drop that the show has seen during a single season. The show premiered with 3.43 million, went as high as 3.73 million, low as 1.97 million and received 2.23 for the finale. What is the reason? I have no idea, but it started a pattern. Each season GG premiers with one number. but loses a pretty high number of viewers throughout the year. Some of it is probably just attrition, some of it is that the quality has declined, but yet season 2 seemed fairly popular, but lost the most viewers. So who knows. One thing is for sure though IMO, and it is that I don't think any particular stories are to blame. YMMV.

slimekay

slimekay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

but yet season 2 seemed fairly popular, but lost the most viewers. So who knows. One thing is for sure though IMO, and it is that I don't think any particular stories are to blame. YMMV.

Season 2 started off so strong (first 10-ish episodes) but lost all momentum in the second half of the season with god awful storylines (Dan/Serena/teacher, Blair/teacher, Blair/Nate, Chuck 'Eyes Wide Shut', Serena/Con Man/Poppy, etc.).

It's not so much that Bart was a key character or that his death was a key moment in the show or one that I personally liked, but his death marked the beginning of the end of this show, quality-wise. Sure, we've had some good arcs here and there in the next 3 seasons, but not as many as we had in the first 30 episodes of this show (up to Bart's death). The arcs/storylines started to suck right after the Christmas break.

Snapshots

Snapshots

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

I think so too. Nearly everyone I know that used to watch the show quit during season 2 or 3

I have the same experience. I found in about 2009 the show went from being something that you could talk about with anyone because everyone watched it, to it being something I was almost embarrassed to admit I still watched because everyone else had seemingly tuned out and lost interest. I thought there was a pretty dramatic decline in quality from the end of season 1 to the start of season 2. The Lord Marcus stuff I found almost as boring as the Louis stuff this season. The amazing snarky and sexy chemistry from CB in season 1 suddenly turned into this star crossed lovers crap in 2x01 which ruined them for me. The cute and organic DS relationship from season 1 suddenly turned weird and gross IMO. The SLs in general were just shocking, especially Lord Marcus and his step mother. I just remember feeling very unhappy after watching 2x01 because I knew that the brilliance of season 1 was gone and I knew if would never be the same (and it wasn't).

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

I just remember feeling very unhappy after watching 2x01 because I knew that the brilliance of season 1 was gone and I knew if would never be the same (and it wasn't).

'3 words 8 letters and I'm yours' I was left scratching my head, questioning myself because I watched S1 repeatedly, out of the blue and a huge dynamic shift.

Rating were well up apparently?

Snapshots

Snapshots

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

Rating were well up apparently?

Looks like it

I'm not sure if those are the final numbers but at least they're above a million...not that tv ratings have much baring on anything these days...especially for the CW.

GG and HoD were up but it looks like basically everything else has fallen dramatically. I know ratings generally drop in the fall but that's quite a bit. The House and Bones numbers are dreadful for Fox shows and I used to watch both of them religiously.

paupers

paupers

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

Ratings might be sucking but it's still doing good on iTunes, based on this.

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

I'm not sure if those are the final numbers but at least they're above a million...not that tv ratings have much baring on anything these days...especially for the CW.

I agree and itís completely futile trying to apportion changes in ratings to ships. Having said that, it does give me an opportunity to get all hyperbolic, as it was billed as a DB centric episode and they are the sole reason for that big increase...

Limabean

Limabean

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

I wouldn't say the higher ratings are a result of any one 'ship, but the great GG shipper war is creating a whole lot of buzz that the show probably wouldn't have otherwise. Considering the declining and subpar ratings, Gossip Girl still gets talked about a lot. As we're getting to the season finale, there are probably more (former) viewers tuning in to see what all the hoopla is about and what kind of cliffhangers we're going to see.

Prinnie

Prinnie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

I wouldn't say the higher ratings are a result of any one 'ship, but the great GG shipper war is creating a whole lot of buzz that the show probably wouldn't have otherwise. Considering the declining and subpar ratings, Gossip Girl still gets talked about a lot. As we're getting to the season finale, there are probably more (former) viewers tuning in to see what all the hoopla is about and what kind of cliffhangers we're going to see.

I think you should start seeing some small jump in ratings and viewers numbers. I personally skipped the last couple episodes but will be watching next week and pretty much everyone I know is the same. The spoilers and filming pics we have seen for the episodes going forward make it seem like the show may be righting itself and returning to some key relationships. I admit I am curious about the whole Chuck storyline right now just based on rumours and spoilers. I have a feeling that 5.18 and 5.19 will end up holding onto the series low title they have. It was nice to see GG inch up this week though they are still getting just above a million viewers even with the .6 demo so the growth was super small. I am interested to see if it jumps this week because of the big OMG (which sort of wasn't) this week.

I think Buzz for GG is down. I know that it does not stay as high as long on itunes and EW and Gawker stopped reviewing it. I don't think the ship war has been a success just because people not invested in it seem to have checked out. I sort of wonder if that is why Safran has been so clear in promising no CBD triangle next year. It is sort of an odd move to basically say one of those ships won't make it out of the finale instead of trying to string them both along. I wondered if he was just saying it but Ausiello (head of the fake empire pimping) has repeated it several times so that makes me think that they have realized in some way that the triangle and triangles don't sell.

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

A rise is a rise. It was a DB centric episode, that blissfully went by with me not noticing that Chuck and his whispering were absent for the first Ĺ hour. If the rating go up, I can fanwank it as DB doing it, it as much as contrived, rinse and repeat Chuck Mom melodrama or key relationships returning. Since there is no way of telling.

Seamus1602

Seamus1602

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

I sort of wonder if that is why Safran has been so clear in promising no CBD triangle next year.

Where did you hear this? I've seen you reference it in a couple posts but haven't seen anyone else, nor have I found this quote. Just curious.

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

It's from his recent round of interviews, they are linked in the media thread. Highly doubt they'll drop any ship, expect them to reactivate DS and NS if anything. If true, it could explain why Chuck is getting is family back.

PdmntPdl

PdmntPdl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

Josh Safran is gonna be the showrunner for Smash next year. The article makes note of the fact the Gossip Girl hasn't been picked up yet. I wonder if Josh was told something that made him look for a different job. Although I guess he could theoretically do both.

Edited by PdmntPdl, Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:42 PM.

SmilingGoat

SmilingGoat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

Ratings for 5-21:

"Gossip Girl" (1 million, 0.7/1)

5-21 (Despicable B) also currently #2 on iTunes chart.

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

Ratings for 5-21:

"Gossip Girl" (1 million, 0.7/1)

I believe those were the fast overnights and that the final adjusted numbers were down to .5 for demos and under a million for total viewers. Which ties it's series lows.

But yes, it's currently number 2 on iTunes.

Edited by WedgeOfSpite, Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:32 PM.

catmax99

catmax99

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

Josh Safran is gonna be the showrunner for Smash next year.

Crap! I like that show and can't get away from this guy. Sheesh. Wonder what that means for GG? I guess if he knows they are only going to do a half season it makes sense to look for a new job. I wish they would just announce what the deal is.

As for ratings, I can't imagine there will be any significant change moving forward, barring some insane spoiler like Blair taking out the entire cast or something. And maybe a series finale, as people tend to come back for those. I know I am a masochist that comes back every week for reasons I can't even explain, but I think this isn't the type of show you would watch occasionally. It seems that once people quit it, for the most part, they stay away. I find each episode confusing and I actually watch every week, I can't imagine missing two weeks and then tuning in. Talk about wtf!

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

I hope Smash fans enjoy plot-based stories, crap character development and spectacular continuity failure. Good luck with that, Smash!

As for Gossip Girl, they'll probably just promote someone from the writing staff, maybe Amanda Lasher. I suppose they could bring in someone new, although that might be too much trouble for 13 episodes of a show that's dragging on its last legs.

Edited by minneapple, Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:24 PM.

SmilingGoat

SmilingGoat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 5:35 AM

Peripherally related to Gossip Girl ratings discussions:

After the Worst-Rated Debut of All Time, Is the CW Even a Network Anymore?

Prinnie

Prinnie

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:42 PM

Gossip Girl was up this week to a .6 and 1.02 million viewers. I also heard they maintained their .6 and viewer numbers throughout the hour so that is a great sign. Perhaps people slowly returning in advance of the finale. Glad that this episode did better then others this half.

http://tvbythenumber...ed-down/131754/

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

TVbythenumbers.com:

Gossip Girl tumbled two-tenths, only earning a 0.4 18-49 rating,

The show also only had 869,000 total viewers.

I blame the Chuck-centric promo.

Also, this from TVLine:

Spotted: Gossip Girl drawing 870,000 total viewers this Monday, while scoring a 0.4 demo rating, translating into week-to-week declines of 15 and 33 percent. That said, the CW sudser is still expected to return in the fall for a shortened final season.

Edited by minneapple, May 8, 2012 @ 11:41 AM.

slimekay

slimekay

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

That's downright atrocious, but expected; the show is not only a shell of its former self, but also extremely boring.

inanityrules

inanityrules

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

I blame the Chuck-centric promo.

It's really quite incredible that a promo that so heavily hinted the end of Dair and the rebirth of Chair resulted in an episode with the worst ratings imaginable, lol.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:23 PM

I love these little arguments over why a show's ratings decrease. As much as it could be the promo, it could also be the continued presence of Dan and Blair being romantically involved. Some people really don't want to watch that.

Edited by MV007, May 8, 2012 @ 4:23 PM.