Gossip Girl In The Media

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3725 replies to this topic

Red Soled Shoes

Red Soled Shoes

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

Meh re: the Dair vs. Chair debate, especially now that the show is over, but I personally see the appeal of both couples. I always loved Chair, even when the writers destroyed both characters in the process, and I truly believe that they are the best match (that glimpse into their life at their townhouse with Henry was honestly exactly the kind of thing i imagined) for one another in terms of background, upbringing, interests, sense of style, common understanding etc. HOWEVER - I really did enjoy her with Dan, and could see them making a go of it, but at the end of the day (and this is perhaps the fault of the writers - as everything is - more than the characters) they just could never truly accept one another's lifestyle - Blair continually ragging on Brooklyn, Dan determined to destroy the UES. I think the show ended exactly as it should have, staying as true to the characters as they possibly could considering that I'm not sure the writers even KNEW who the characters were half the time these last few seasons.

Anyway, Vulture posted its final Gossip Girl recap & reality index ever. I found myself more emotional reading it than I was watching the episode. It was time for the show to go. While some members of the media were pretty harsh on the show, Vulture never took the show that seriously and that's what I'll miss most about the recaps (and the comments section):

In the Forever Finale of what was once known as The Greatest Show of Our Time, sparks were ignited, love rekindled, rivalries ceased, punches became hugs. It was an emotional, heartwarming finish to a show that has managed to tug at our heartstrings over the past six years even as it has stretched the boundaries of acceptable plotting and accessorizing.

Gossip Girl Series Finale Recap: I Guess That Means Itís All Over Now

azazel

azazel

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

I think the show ended exactly as it should have, staying as true to the characters as they possibly could

The problem is that they stayed true to the characters as they were written in season one -- and poor versions of their season one characters at that. Character development was always a problem with this show, in that the characters would take one step forward, two steps back. In this case they took TWO SEASONS BACK worth of steps, and to pretend the last couple seasons didn't happen was ridiculous and stupid.

From the Vulture recap:

I thought it was brave that they did him and not a side character like Eric or Jenny. It didn't make a ton of sense, but it probably made the most sense of anybody. They'd definitely come up with it a while ago and done their best in recent episodes to have it make sense.

No, Vulture recappers, they didn't come up with it awhile ago. This is from Carinna MacKenzie at Zap2it:

I spoke with executive producer Stephanie Savage and showrunner Sara Goodman at the beginning of this final season. The CW's promos promised to reveal the identity of Gossip Girl, and I was curious to know whether the writers had employed a plan for Gossip Girl's identity from the beginning of the series. "We've always had ideas," Savage said. "I think how far we were going to go with those ideas, how much we were going to make her into a character kind of shifted from season to season."

I'm guessing they talked about it through the course of the show, just jokingly -- like, "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if this person or this person was Gossip Girl?" But they came up with Dan being Gossip Girl at the beginning of season six and tried to make it make sense, although the way they wrote it, it appeared as though they came up with the idea while they were writing the finale.

Ugh. Such an epic fail of a show that started out with such promise.

KookaMonga

KookaMonga

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

No White Noise has the final episode photo recap up.

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 6:17 AM

Another Love Letter about GG.

From time to time, itís important to cut the crap and see the bigger picture.

Hereís why it matters. I started this blog because I donít believe that any form of media exists simply for brainless consumption. Even if that is the intention of the creators, once it exists in society, if it is popular at all, it is influential. Gossip Girl became a pop-culture phenomenon right off the bat and even as it plummeted in popularity and quality, its stamp on media culture has been prominent and therefore cannot be swept under the rug nor taken lightly.

This is about a show glorifying emotional, verbal and sometimes physical abuse. Itís about insulting everyoneís intelligence by re-writing someoneís character and the entire show when it clearly makes no sense. Itís about zero character development and making nothing of its female leads except becoming wives to men who repeatedly ruined their lives. Itís about forgiving evil because you have a higher social status and making the argument that social mobility is impossible and everyone should support their warped idea of a caste system. And yes, all of it matters because this show is targeted towards impressionable young girls who are going to buy into all of this and not understand the countless insults to their existences that this show propagated.

Red Soled Shoes

Red Soled Shoes

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

This is so amazing. I was laughing so hard reading it I was in tears:

Gossip Girl Insiders Pay Tribute to ó and Quibble With ó the Reality Index

Stephanie Savage:Why did you never see Scott again? Did you honestly want to see Scott??

paupers

paupers

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

Chair shout in The Guardian

Indeed, chemistry is often the worst reason for putting a couple together. From Blair and Chuck in Gossip Girl to Logan and Veronica in Veronica Mars, teen television is littered with examples of pairings that were more effective in theory than actuality. Whether that was because of ludicrous plotting (he sold her for a hotel but she still loved him) or a failure to think through the logistics of the relationship (theyíre at the same university even though he doesnít like studying or have any wish to be at college because Ö well, how else are they going to be together post-school?) these romances stumbled once they moved centre stage.

My link

So true as well.